PDA

View Full Version : I've never been a real big fan of the 3-4

Earthquake Enyart
03-19-2008, 07:05 PM
But, how about we draft Dan Connor and go 3-4?

Stroud could be a NT in a 3-4. We have plenty of ends. McCargo could probably play DE in a 3-4 as well.

venis2k1
03-19-2008, 07:06 PM
We have no ends big enough to play DE in a 3-4. Plus Perry Fool has never run it, he is a tampa 2 guy, kinda late to bring in a new DC.

YardRat
03-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Our ends would get rolled in a three-four. None of them have enough ass to maintain position at the LOS once the ball is snapped.

ParanoidAndroid
03-19-2008, 07:11 PM
The problem with that is that we have 2 purely 4-3 ends in Denney and Kelsay. Schobel might be able to shift back to OLB, but then who sits if you draft Connor? We would have to draft a back-up NT fairly early and then you still might not have the right DE's although Johnson and McCargo might be good there. Schobel, Denney and Kelsay are some expensive back-ups.

Earthquake Enyart
03-19-2008, 07:30 PM
Our ends would get rolled in a three-four. None of them have enough ass to maintain position at the LOS once the ball is snapped.
Bruce Smith never weighed more than 270

Kenny
03-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Yeah, but that was Bruce. Not just one of the best DE's in the history of the game, but arguably one the best defensive players to ever take the field.

Kind of like saying it's okay to have a 180 pound running back because Sanders was small too.

Bad things man... bad things.

dannyek71
03-20-2008, 12:37 PM
If we were totally revamping our D, i'd say to look at the 3-4. But why did we go out and spend a 1st on McCargo and trade for Stroud then? (Both your typical 4-3 scheme DT)

patmoran2006
03-20-2008, 09:19 PM
1- For starters, they didn't sign Johnson and trade for Stroud, and invest a 1st in McCargo to only use one DT. DT went from a weakness to a strength just days into FA.

2- If we were going to do that (and we're soooo not) the move would be to shift Crowell inside with Poz and land Keith Rivers from USC.

Dr. Lecter
03-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Our corners are also not good enough to hold coverage in a 3-4.

djjimkelly
03-20-2008, 09:28 PM

Stroud could be a NT in a 3-4. We have plenty of ends. McCargo could probably play DE in a 3-4 as well.

i can only dream maybe next year when dick is gone

djjimkelly
03-20-2008, 09:29 PM
Our corners are also not good enough to hold coverage in a 3-4.

i beg to differ 3-4 is about pressure our corners are no worse then the steelers corners

YardRat
03-20-2008, 09:33 PM

Bruce Smith was in a class with very few peers. Bruce had more physical tools and ability than all of the DE's on our current roster combined.

Dr. Lecter
03-20-2008, 09:36 PM
i beg to differ 3-4 is about pressure our corners are no worse then the steelers corners

Without strong blitzing LB's there is no pressure.

Dr. Lecter
03-20-2008, 09:37 PM

Wouldn't you prefer the Bills finish 11-5 and make the playoffs?

Why dream about the Bills having a bad season? it makes no sense.

patmoran2006
03-20-2008, 09:49 PM
Sorry bro. WIlson's puppet aint going anywhere.

If the bills win 4 games, he's back next year.

djjimkelly
03-20-2008, 09:57 PM
Wouldn't you prefer the Bills finish 11-5 and make the playoffs?

Why dream about the Bills having a bad season? it makes no sense.

look i want the bills to win as bad as anyone on this board

i just dont buy into his skills as a coach i dont like the cover 2.

his whole philosophy is almost opposite of what i believe good football is.

but hell id love to see him win i just know better

djjimkelly
03-20-2008, 09:59 PM
Sorry bro. WIlson's puppet aint going anywhere.

If the bills win 4 games, he's back next year.

if we only won 4 games and i like the chances of that better then 11 wins we as fans should riot

my call if 6 wins next year. it should cost him his job

LifetimeBillsFan
03-21-2008, 12:31 AM
Bruce Smith was in a class with very few peers. Bruce had more physical tools and ability than all of the DE's on our current roster combined.

Agreed.

Had Bruce Smith played his entire career in a 4-3 defense, with his quickness and speed, he probably would have had 25-30 more sacks in his career.

As good as Bruce was in the 3-4, can you imagine him in the role of a Dwight Freeney in a Tampa-2 defense? Fuggedaboudit!

jamze132
03-21-2008, 04:09 PM

I don't like the idea of us moving to a 3-4. I personally like the Cover 2 with the exception of small DTs. I think the 4-3/Cover 2 hybrid is the best option of us.

Mr. Pink
03-21-2008, 07:36 PM
I love how there's people that want us to do poorly...so Dick loses his job and we switch to a new scheme. The scheme being talked about in this thread is the 3-4.

A. Our D-line would probably be Rookie/FA - Stroud - McCargo. Now can McCargo know his gap assignment and eat space as a 3-4 End? Who knows. The goal in 3-4 of the D-Line is to take up and space and eat up blockers so the LBers can make plays. Either on blitzes or runs.

B. Who's playing LB in this system? Schoebel will have to put some pounds back on and be an OLB who blitzes at times and others covers. Or has to play a different assignment on run stops. Crowell, Poz, Digi, Ellison....So what is our LB scheme going to look like? Schoebel - Poz - Digi - Crowell?

C. Our corners will then have to play Man. None of our corners are good enough presently to do this on a down by down basis.

D. As you see in Example B...We now have Kelsay and Denney under bigger contracts and are now absolutely useless in a new scheme. What do we do with them? Cut them? Trade them?

We've had almost a decade of growing pains as it is, 3-5 more years after we change scheme and then try to get in the proper personnel to run it will be wonderful! I can't wait.