PDA

View Full Version : Malcolm Kelly wins 1st. Now 2nd.

Mitchell55
03-19-2008, 11:57 PM
2nd pick

mysticsoto
03-20-2008, 07:25 AM
2nd pick

I don' t like any of these picks. They are all reaches with a high #2...bad enough we reached with Malcolm Kelly in the 1st rd, but now we have to reach again?

Mahdi
03-20-2008, 07:32 AM
I don' t like any of these picks. They are all reaches with a high #2...bad enough we reached with Malcolm Kelly in the 1st rd, but now we have to reach again?
Some of these players might be reaches by looking at their "draft value" but in reality those are very talened football players that would upgrade our team bigtime. Cliff Avril for example is a player that will most likely be gone by the time we pick in the 3rd round, but IMO he is an upgrade over Kelsay and would contribute a lot in passing situations. That alone is worth a second round pick.

mysticsoto
03-20-2008, 07:36 AM
Some of these players might be reaches by looking at their "draft value" but in reality those are very talened football players that would upgrade our team bigtime. Cliff Avril for example is a player that will most likely be gone by the time we pick in the 3rd round, but IMO he is an upgrade over Kelsay and would contribute a lot in passing situations. That alone is worth a second round pick.

Cliff Avril is small (for a DE) and better suited as a LB for a 3-4...

Jan Reimers
03-20-2008, 08:15 AM
Martellus Bennett. Hands down.

Mahdi
03-20-2008, 08:29 AM
Cliff Avril is small (for a DE) and better suited as a LB for a 3-4...
Sure he can play OLB in a 3-4 but that doesnt mean he cant play end in a 4-3.. he is 6'3 255 which is bigger than Aaron Shobel btw. But either way if he adds 5 pounds he will be fine especially for a pass rusher.

Even Robert Mathis is only 6'2 245... The cover 2 scheme allows for undersized DEs. Avril would fit in.

mysticsoto
03-20-2008, 09:07 AM
Sure he can play OLB in a 3-4 but that doesnt mean he cant play end in a 4-3.. he is 6'3 255 which is bigger than Aaron Shobel btw. But either way if he adds 5 pounds he will be fine especially for a pass rusher.

Even Robert Mathis is only 6'2 245... The cover 2 scheme allows for undersized DEs. Avril would fit in.

He's bigger than Schobel now...and look how bad Schobel did this year. Schobel needs to go back up and his play was impacted substantially by the loss of weight.

Avril can play 4-3, but he's better suited for a 3-4. I'm not a fan of taking a decent prospect and trying to force fit him into our defense. And regardless of whether he's better than Kelsay, etc, it is still a reach to take him at the beginning of the 2nd rd - which is all I said in my original post.

Mahdi
03-20-2008, 09:17 AM
He's bigger than Schobel now...and look how bad Schobel did this year. Schobel needs to go back up and his play was impacted substantially by the loss of weight.

Avril can play 4-3, but he's better suited for a 3-4. I'm not a fan of taking a decent prospect and trying to force fit him into our defense. And regardless of whether he's better than Kelsay, etc, it is still a reach to take him at the beginning of the 2nd rd - which is all I said in my original post.
Yeah Schobel did have a bad year but thats because he tried to be something he is not. He is not a pure pass rusher. He is a talented player but by losing all that weight he became a one dimensional pass rusher which his talent couldnt overcome. Avril has always been undersized and has succeeded at his weight in college as a DE.

Like I said Robert Mathis is even smaller than Avril and he is having a great career.

If im sitting in the second round after having taken a WR already and the top TEs are gone Avril IMO is not a reach. He could come in day one and be a Daryl Tapp, Elvis Dumervil, Robert Mathis type player for us.

Tapp and Dumervil in particular were tabbed as too small to play DE in the NFL yet have succeeded. A pass rusher is a pass rusher, some are undersized like Mathis and some are massive like Reggie White. For our system an undersized pass rusher is the norm. Bottom line is we need a talented DE. Kelsay is not talented, he's a hard worker. Play him on first down then sit him down and let him rest his "high motor" for the next run play.

Bone
03-20-2008, 10:29 AM
I'm tellin ya man just merge them all together it would look much more organized..

coastal
03-20-2008, 05:09 PM
I voted Martellus Bennett but would be jazzed about Reggie Smith as well. I'm betting neither are available when we pick.

It would be a hard choice if they both were somehow still on the board.

The Spaz
03-21-2008, 12:04 PM
There should be no doubt in Keller. The guys is as fast as he is strong.