• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

A Drafted #2 WR CAN Be A Factor Right Away

Because he's NOT expected to be a #1 guy. That's Lee Evans.

The whole point is to get Lee Evans another 10-15 shots downfield, let alone more touches, correct ? That equals points in my world.

We basically ignored our TE in 85-90 % of our games over the last few years. We're drafting one this April and will probably throw more to the TE. Even the Courtey Anderson, Tayo Johnson signings showed the Bills wanted more catches from that position. Royal could be on thin ice. The Safety must play closer to the LOS, if we actually show the TE will get some looks.

Lynch should see more swing passes. That pulls the safety up closer to the LOS.

The #3 slot position (Parrish/Reed) will still see it's share of catches.

Our Rookie WR ideally will be a good pattern runner who can catch the 6-12 yard pass and move the chains. It would be nice if he had some red zone ability,size and speed. He doesn't need to have a big stats year in 2008 but deliver when thrown to.

Bryant Johnsons average season over 5 years is 42 catches for 535 yards. D. J. Hackett has 1,394 total yards in 4 years. Yet they were seen as the answers to our #2 WR need and would have produced 800 + yards, caught key passes and several TD's, without question? Riiiiiiiiiiight. Talk about a leap of faith. This FA WR class stunk to high heaven. It was full of #3 WR's who were drafted/paid to be #1 or #2 WR's. They failed. So on to the draft.

We may differ where one is selected. I won't go into cardiac arrest if one isn't selected in Round 1, since I know of many good hands WR's not named Malcolm Kelly or Limas Sweed. If the Bills like them, that's fine but Evans is still here for at least 2 more years so we don't need the next Big Thing right now.

I'll be fine with whoever the Bills select but that Rookie is just one part of the formula to improve the pass offense and get Evans more touches, along with the TE, Lynch, #3 WR and maybe some actual playcalling by the Turk, unlike Fairchild.

Keep it in perspective.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit
  • ddaryl
    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
    • Jan 2005

Re: A Drafted #2 WR CAN Be A Factor Right Away

Originally posted by Night Train
    We may differ where one is selected. I won't go into cardiac arrest if one isn't selected in Round 1, since I know of many good hands WR's not named Malcolm Kelly or Limas Sweed. If the Bills like them, that's fine but Evans is still here for at least 2 more years so we don't need the next Big Thing right now.

From the buzz, and some of the draft ratings I've seen on WR.. there isn't much seperating the top 5 or 6 WR's in the draft.

Which is why I am hoping for a trade down situation, and a parlay of picks to play with. None of the WR's are necesssarily #11 pick worthy, but moving back a grabbing the highest rated WR on the board seems like a logical move to make...

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

exactly. If Trent lives up to his potential and the playcalling is adequate, we could end up throwing successfully up the middle should teams try to double team Evans especially if our rbs are involved in the passing game.

If all goes well. D's may have to pick their poison. Because of the qb situation to go with horrific playcalling, our wr's looked worse than they really were.
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Philagape
        WIN NOW
        • Jul 2002

While the Hackett numbers are grossly misleading because of his injuries (that was his problem, not the talent), I agree with the premise that a rookie can contribute immediately, even start ... IF the guy we get has the maturity and work ethic. That's the key. The physical tools will be a given, but the intangibles are what make and break a player.
        "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
        2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

Johnson, especially if we could have gotten him on a one-year deal, would've been nice filler and given the rookie some breathing room to work his way into the line-up during the season instead of expecting him to step right in and produce from Day 1.

We're fortunate that we are looking for an impact WR in a year where the draft is apparently deep with possibilities, but we've limited our options by not upgrading in FA also. That's my only beef.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• John Doe
            Florida Man
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train
            Because he's NOT expected to be a #1 guy. That's Lee Evans.

The whole point is to get Lee Evans another 10-15 shots downfield, let alone more touches, correct ? That equals points in my world.

We basically ignored our TE in 85-90 % of our games over the last few years. We're drafting one this April and will probably throw more to the TE. Even the Courtey Anderson, Tayo Johnson signings showed the Bills wanted more catches from that position. Royal could be on thin ice. The Safety must play closer to the LOS, if we actually show the TE will get some looks.

Lynch should see more swing passes. That pulls the safety up closer to the LOS.

The #3 slot position (Parrish/Reed) will still see it's share of catches.

Our Rookie WR ideally will be a good pattern runner who can catch the 6-12 yard pass and move the chains. It would be nice if he had some red zone ability,size and speed. He doesn't need to have a big stats year in 2008 but deliver when thrown to.

Bryant Johnsons average season over 5 years is 42 catches for 535 yards. D. J. Hackett has 1,394 total yards in 4 years. Yet they were seen as the answers to our #2 WR need and would have produced 800 + yards, caught key passes and several TD's, without question? Riiiiiiiiiiight. Talk about a leap of faith. This FA WR class stunk to high heaven. It was full of #3 WR's who were drafted/paid to be #1 or #2 WR's. They failed. So on to the draft.

I'll be fine with whoever the Bills select but that Rookie is just one part of the formula to improve the pass offense and get Evans more touches, along with the TE, Lynch, #3 WR and maybe some actual playcalling by the Turk, unlike Fairchild.

Keep it in perspective.
            The Bills have certainly not been reluctant to play rookies - at any position.

It would not surprise me if they spend 2 high draft picks on wide-outs.

Comment

• DrGraves
              • Mar 2008

Limas Sweed needs to be our man, hes huge. just imagine him going up to get the ball and going across the middle... he's going to draw so much attention of the safeties and lee will be able to get 1v1's all day long. (and I like lee 1v1 everytime against anyone)

Comment

• jamze132
                Don’t hate…
                • Jun 2003

I have no problem at all entering the season with a rookie opposite of Evans. I am hoping that is the case.

Lynch was arguably the 2nd best back taken in the draft last year. If we can draft a WR who is arguably the best WR in the draft, than I wuld say we have a pretty good core to build upon.

Comment

• evol4276
                  • Oct 2005

as long as he's big and can run good routes and can catch, i have no problem starting a rokkie at 2. im actually hoping for it. im sick of having the same old ho-hum wr's every year, minus evans. and dont get me wrong i love roscoe, but we've needed a big guy for years. now is the time to address that, and this seems like the perfect time to do so in draft since there are a lot of big and talented wr's in this draft.

Comment

• Night Train
                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Philagape
                    While the Hackett numbers are grossly misleading because of his injuries
                    Constant injuries aren't misleading. That's why the Bills never considered him.
                    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                      • Jul 2003

However, rookie WR tend to take time to adjust to the NFL. You bring in a veteran, he can provide improved production and give the rookie time to adjust and develop.

To illustrate the point, Josh Reed was the Bills 2nd leading receiver last year with 51 catches for 578 yards.

In the 2007 draft, there were 35 WR drafted.

1 had more catches than Reed last year, Dwayne Bowe (70).

2 had more yards last year than Reed, Dwayne Bowe (995) and James Jones (676).

In the 2006 draft, there were 30 WR drafted.

1 had more catches as a rookie than Reed last year, Marques Colston (70).

2 had more yards as a rookie than Reed last year, Marques Colson (1038) and Greg Jennings (632).

Rookie WR tend to need time to adjust. A veteran gives a chance at improved production while the rookie develops. It is not an either/or.

Comment

• Oaf
                        Do you read what you write?
                        • Jun 2007

What WR in this draft is MOST like Andre Reed? Because that is exactly what we need opposite Evans.

Comment

• DrGraves
                          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Oaf
                          What WR in this draft is MOST like Andre Reed? Because that is exactly what we need opposite Evans.

or just draft eric moulds again

Comment

• Night Train
                            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by NE39
                            However, rookie WR tend to take time to adjust to the NFL.
                            Not arguing that point at all. We're all aware of the stats.

It's the expected improvement in an offensive gameplan that includes calling passes to the TE & more swing passes to the RB. This in addition to an actual talent at the #2 WR position not names Peerless Price, which equaled basically nothing from the #2.

A veteran bobbler like Johnson or All-Whirlpool D.J. Hackett wasn't the answer.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                              Defies all logic
                              • Oct 2006

Actually Evans has an option to void the final year of his contract, he will walk next season and test FA. ( Ofcourse unless they franchise him.. )

Comment

Working...
                              X