PDA

View Full Version : I like Vanek

chernobylwraiths
03-22-2008, 10:37 AM
I don't see why so much venom is leveled against Vanek. Well, I DO know why, because he isn't Ovechkin or Crosby. But the guy does do things that many probably don't see. I look at him a bit like Dave Andreychuk. Now I hated DA when we was here the first time, but watching him take a beating in front of the net game in and game out without complaint was enough for me to change my tune on him. My girls last night told me that they hear him called "cherry picker" and that he floats alot. I told them that was by people who don't know everything he does. Then, during one of the power plays, they watched as the puck went to the net and how Vanek was digging at it and took a punch to the head by EVERY leaf on the ice including the goalie. It takes a special player to stand in front of the net when a shot is coming your way and an even more special player that can consistantly redirect the puck most of the time.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-22-2008, 11:49 AM
I like every Sabre uniform. The problem you get with Sabres (Buffalo) fans is that a person or a team should always get better and not have a bad, worse than last, or an off year.

JD
03-22-2008, 12:37 PM
I like every Sabre uniform. The problem you get with Sabres (Buffalo) fans is that a person or a team should always get better and not have a bad, worse than last, or an off year.

You're right. We should settle for less :up:

Typ0
03-22-2008, 12:45 PM

acknowledging they are having down year or in a transitional period is not settling...

I agree about Vanek. This is why I've said the comparison to Satan is unjustified. All Satan every did was try and score...sometimes. Vanek is constantly working the ice. If he's having trouble finding the scoring sheet he's still working I've seen it. Unfortunately, when he doesn't get a point every night people start calling him lazy. Not fair.

Dozerdog
03-22-2008, 12:50 PM
His "resurgance" the past 2 months has vaulted my fantasy team to the final 4 of my league.

:up: Vanek

OpIv37
03-22-2008, 07:53 PM
acknowledging they are having down year or in a transitional period is not settling...

I agree about Vanek. This is why I've said the comparison to Satan is unjustified. All Satan every did was try and score...sometimes. Vanek is constantly working the ice. If he's having trouble finding the scoring sheet he's still working I've seen it. Unfortunately, when he doesn't get a point every night people start calling him lazy. Not fair.

I don't see many people calling him lazy.

And as far as not getting a point every night, that's a huge exaggeration. At one point in early February, Vanek had something like 14 goals through 40+ games, and this from a guy making $50 mil. The guy has not lived up to expectations.

Now, to be perfectly fair, the FO is trying to use him like Drury or Briere and he's simply not that caliber of player. But as a fan, watching him not score night after night and lack the ability to take on a leadership role is extremely frustrating. This team regressed this year and Vanek's play is one of many reasons why. You yourself said you thought this team was built for a future run- well, how can you say that with guys like Vanek getting WORSE with experience rather than better?

chernobylwraiths
03-22-2008, 08:32 PM
I don't see many people calling him lazy.

And as far as not getting a point every night, that's a huge exaggeration. At one point in early February, Vanek had something like 14 goals through 40+ games, and this from a guy making $50 mil. The guy has not lived up to expectations.

Now, to be perfectly fair, the FO is trying to use him like Drury or Briere and he's simply not that caliber of player. But as a fan, watching him not score night after night and lack the ability to take on a leadership role is extremely frustrating. This team regressed this year and Vanek's play is one of many reasons why. You yourself said you thought this team was built for a future run- well, how can you say that with guys like Vanek getting WORSE with experience rather than better?

I believe Vanek more of a complimentary player. He scores more because of others. He cannot carry the load by himself, and he is not a great playmaker no matter how much he tries. Maybe he can become one, but his isn't one now. Plus, it is a little too much to expect him to take on a leadership role as a third year player. You yourself said we lost all the leadership the team had and we can't expect to just replace that with younger players just like that.

I don't remember saying this team was built for a future run since I don't believe our management is committed to keeping many players for the future. Regardless, I think many of the younger players are getting BETTER. I think Roy looks MUCH better then he did last year. Pomminville also seems to be taking leadership a little seriously and has been probably the best player in recent weeks. We need help defensively. I like what I have seen from Weber, a guy not afraid to hit and seems strong enough to actually move players off the puck in the corners and Sekara could be a good one. They need to keep people off Miller and give him a better view of the puck.

Nighthawk
03-22-2008, 09:25 PM
I like Vanek, but he doesn't work hard every game. If he did, then he wouldn't be getting benched for periods of games. Saying he always works hard is a flat out lie.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
03-22-2008, 09:43 PM
not to mention that he just became a daddy last off-season he's got a new born son Blake Thomas Vanek so that could be why he's tailed off.

Harry Neale last night on MSG broadcast said that after Vanek scored his 32nd goal on the Power Play
that scoring 32 goals isn't bad he scored 43 last year and that number will only rise. Then RJ added that the season is still not over yet and he could add on to that number.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-23-2008, 07:19 AM

That is what I said.

camelcowboy
03-23-2008, 10:13 AM
not to mention that he just became a daddy last off-season he's got a new born son Blake Thomas Vanek so that could be why he's tailed off.

Harry Neale last night on MSG broadcast said that after Vanek scored his 32nd goal on the Power Play why do you always have to take being a fan to a creepy level. Do you baby pictures of vanek's kid like you do with pommer?

Mr. Pink
03-23-2008, 03:40 PM
Vanek = Satan.

And Sabres fans ran that guy out of town.