PDA

View Full Version : coastal's mock draft - 1st round (picks 1 - 15)

coastal
03-22-2008, 10:08 PM
1.) Miami Dolphins - Vernon Gholston, DE/LB Ohio State
http://media.2theadvocate.com/images/vernon+gholston_121707.jpg
Bill Parcells always builds the defense first and this time around will be no different. Some thought Chris Long might be the pick. Even though he played the 3-4 DE in college, he doesn't fit the 3-4 end position in the pros as well as Vernon fits the 3-4 rush linebacker position. I am sure The Tuna takes no satisfaction in the fact that this is who Belicheat covets too.

2.) St. Louis Rams - Chris Long, DE Virginia
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/bill_trocchi/10/17/conference.rankings/t1_long.jpg
Most of you guys don't even know who Clifton Ryan is, but everyone should remember Adam Carriker from last year's 1st round. Both were rookies and together they combined to form a very good DT tandem. They also have Claude Wroten and Victor Adeyanju to round out this youthful but talented group. Now they have Chris Long too!? The Rams couldn't be more ecstatic about where this defense is headed.

3.) Atlanta Falcons - Jake Long, OT Michigan
http://images.mockingthedraft.com/images/admin/JakeLong.jpg
Arthur Blank lost a boatload of cash on Mike Vick. Matt Ryan, Glenn Dorsey and Darren McFadden were all possibilities here, but none of them are the safest bets in the world for the Atlanta Falcons. An Irish quarterback in Hotlanta (who isn't exactly guaranteed success right away) isn't exactly the most marketable choice. Glenn Dorsey has some very real injury concerns and Darren McFadden's off-field problems is the last thing Arthur Blank and this franchise need. Jake Long is a football player and about as safe of a selection as you can make in this draft.

4.) Oakland Raiders - Darren McFadden, RB Arkansas
http://cowboys.beloblog.com/archives/mcfadden.jpg
No brainer for Al Davis and the rest of the ******s in that organization. Not saying that Darren isn't going to be a great back, but it's Oakland for Christ's sake. They're bound to **** up no matter who they pick. It's their destiny.

5.) Kansas City Chiefs - Glenn Dorsey, DT LSU
http://media.hamptonroads.com/media/content/pilotonline/2007/09/0908lsu500x325.jpg
Herm Edwards is smiling ear to ear. If this kid stays healthy, Herm has a dline that is just plain scary. I can't wait to see him and Tamba holding court!

6.) New York Jets - Leodis McKelvin, CB Troy
They play in the same division we do and need to be able to match up with Brady, Moss, Welker and company. Paired with last year's pick Revis, Leodis will more than help to level the playing field.

7.) New England Patriots - Ryan Clady, OT Boise State
I can see the Patriots dumping this pick to whoever would be willing to part with their 2rd round pick this year and their 1st round pick next year. Teams are onto the Patriots however, so they are stuck having to make a selection. Did anyone else notice Brady getting ***** slapped all over the field by the Giants? I can promise you that the Patriots organization did. They need to protect their crown jewel at all costs. Clady could be their Jason Peters in a year or two.

8.) Baltimore Ravens - Mike Jenkins, CB S. Florida
Matt Ryan is a strong possibilty here, but teams are finding that there might be 2nd/3rd round type quarterbacks out there that can be equally as effective as drafting a signal caller this high in the draft. Mike Jenkins is starter material and the questionable character concerns would fit in well with the other thugs and baby makers in Baltimore. That defense is going to carry them for another 5 years. Too bad its carrying them nowhere. Have fun with that child support losers.

9.) Cincinnati Bengals - Sedrick Ellis, DT USC
There isn't a more no-brainer of a pick out there. They totally ****ed up trying to get a DT through free agency. Luckily Sedrick fell to them because of a shoddy pro day. Talk about a dumb reason to fall. The Bengals lucked out big time by having three 3-4 teams drafting ahead of them who might be hesitant to try Sedrick at any of the line poistions in that scheme.

10.) New Orleans Saints - Keith Rivers, OLB USC
New Orleans is woefully thin at LB. They have nothing to write home about starting and they have worse depth than we do. Barring either DT falling to them or reaching on a Balmer or Sims, I can't see any other player that they would plan on drafting in this spot.

11.) Jacksonville Jaguars - Derrick Harvey, DE Florida
Wow! Looks like Jville likes dealing with OBD and vice versa. The thing that defense has been lacking is an edge rushing presence. Derrick brings that in spades. Too bad the cracker drafted 3rd overall made him his ***** during their bowl game this past year. BTW... here is what we get in return for Mr. Harvey... the 26th pick, the 58th pick, and the 72 pick in this year's draft. With the holes we still have on this team, it would be impossible to turn this down.

12. Denver Broncos - Devin Thomas, WR Michigan State
John Gruden is crying in his milk. He really wanted this kid and for good reason. Devin is a playmaker and who the Bills should have drafted had they not traded out of the 11 spot.

13. Carolina Panthers - Jeff Otah, OT Pitt
The Panthers have had one of the better offseasons and look to continue that by selecting the mammoth Otah to hold down the LT spot for the next 5 years.

14. Chicago Bears - Matt Ryan, QB Boston College
Another potential top-10 QB draft day faller has finally come to rest in Chicago. Just what Chicago needs... another QB with a questionable skill set to add to the mix. Well, at least they have deep dish pizza.

15. Detroit Lions - Rashard Menenhall, RB Illinois
What... no wideouts? Seriously though. Rashard is a big time running back and a great pick for the Lions. They are going to be very difficult to defense.

Scumbag College
03-22-2008, 10:47 PM
Nice post and it looks like you put alot of effort into this. A few things:

-I really don't see Gholston going in the top 5, much less the first pick. I think Parcells gets the franchise QB that he wants with Ryan with the first pick.

-The Falcons need alot of help all over the place, but their defense was absolutely horrid last year. I'd look for them to go DT with the #3 pick.

-If Ryan does fall, I can't see him going past Baltimore. McNair is on his last legs, Boller never panned out, and Troy Smith is a nice player, but not an NFL franchise QB.

-I'd love for the Bills to be able to trade down like that, but with all of the depth in this year's draft, I really don't see teams giving up their first three picks to move up like that.

bflojohn
03-22-2008, 10:53 PM
Took a look at Great Blue North Reports' top 175 and this is the way I'd choose if this was the deal for the Bills....
1.) Antoine Cason, CB (pickk 26)
2A.) Andre Caldwell, WR (pick 41)
2B.) Chris Ellis, DE (pick 58)
3A.) Red Bryant, DT (pick 71)
3B.) Oneil Cousins, OT (pick 72)
4.) Jermichael Finley, TE (pick 110)
Not bad overall.

Coach Sal
03-22-2008, 10:56 PM
Interesting. Some feedback:

--I know Gholston's stock is rising by the day, but I'd be very surprised if he went #1. If Miami likes him that much, they can try to trade down and still get him.

--The Jets taking another CB in round one? With the upgrades they made in FA on the defensive side, I can't see them pouring the $$ of another huge rookie deal into that position. It's possible, but I think they'd love for D-Mac or Gholston to fall to them.

--No way Ryan lasts that long. I'm not a big fan of his personally, but if he's still there after #5, someone's trading up to grab him.

--Of course I love Mike Jenkins because he's a local kid (for both you and I), but I think you have him going way too high. He's a late 1st/early 2nd pick considering how deep the top-end of the CB class is.

--IF Ryan was there, I could definitely see the Bears grabbing him. But since I don't think he will be, I can't see them letting the local kid Mendenhall get by them.

--What's the terms of the Bills/Jags deal?

DraftBoy
03-22-2008, 11:04 PM
Interesting. Some feedback:

--I know Gholston's stock is rising by the day, but I'd be very surprised if he went #1. If Miami likes him that much, they can try to trade down and still get him.

--The Jets taking another CB in round one? With the upgrades they made in FA on the defensive side, I can't see them pouring the $$ of another huge rookie deal into that position. It's possible, but I think they'd love for D-Mac or Gholston to fall to them.

--No way Ryan lasts that long. I'm not a big fan of his personally, but if he's still there after #5, someone's trading up to grab him.

--Of course I love Mike Jenkins because he's a local kid (for both you and I), but I think you have him going way too high. He's a late 1st/early 2nd pick considering how deep the top-end of the CB class is.

--IF Ryan was there, I could definitely see the Bears grabbing him. But since I don't think he will be, I can't see them letting the local kid Mendenhall get by them.

--What's the terms of the Bills/Jags deal?

Nobody and I mean nobody considers Ryan to be a sure thing Franchise QB, he'll fall to 8 and Baltimore will likely take him if they dont then he will fall to 14 and Chicago. Im convinced Atlanta isnt taking him and while KC may look they still have Croyle. This is a bad year for QB's overall really.

Coach Sal
03-22-2008, 11:40 PM
Nobody and I mean nobody considers Ryan to be a sure thing Franchise QB, he'll fall to 8 and Baltimore will likely take him if they dont then he will fall to 14 and Chicago. Im convinced Atlanta isnt taking him and while KC may look they still have Croyle. This is a bad year for QB's overall really.

I agree that he SHOULD NOT be taken in the top-5, (as I wrote recently about QBs), and he may not be considered a "sure thing" franchise QB, but there's enough of a chance that he's going to be one that one of the teams looking at him will not take the chance of passing on him.

Also, I agree it's a bad year for QBs at the top end. However, I disagree that it's a bad year overall for QBs. There's some good mid-late round value in this year's QB class.

PECKERWOOD
03-23-2008, 12:42 AM
I think Atlanta, NYJ and Baltimore are all possible homes for Ryan. Croyle and Clemens are both huge ?'s in my mind, so it wouldn't suprise me the least to see either of these two teams take him and if both of them do decide to pass, Baltimore will scoop him up for sure.

Also, I think D-Mac would serve as a nice compliment to Turner in Atlanta. That would be a sure way to sell tickets, imo and I would be watching them on NFL Ticket if this happened.

I could see McKelvin going to NE if he is available but if he goes the pick before like in your draft, then I think Jenkins could be NE's selection.

Overall, I thought you had a really well thought out draft, can't wait to see the rest of it.

coastal
03-23-2008, 07:42 AM
-I'd love for the Bills to be able to trade down like that, but with all of the depth in this year's draft, I really don't see teams giving up their first three picks to move up like that.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=10512

"There seems to be a growing belief with the Jaguars that they may try to package some extra draft picks (a third and a fifth) that they received in the Marcus Stroud trade to Buffalo, and with a player or two thrown in, trade the allotment to a team that is in the upper half of the draft. That would include any number of teams 10 picks or more ahead of the Jaguars who are currently scheduled to pick No. 26 at the current time."

...more...

Rumor is Detroit might be looking at Derrick. So if the Jags want him, they have to get ahead of them. That would leave Denver and us as dancing partners. I don't see Denver wanting to move back that far. This is very plausible IMO.

DraftBoy
03-23-2008, 09:09 AM
I agree that he SHOULD NOT be taken in the top-5, (as I wrote recently about QBs), and he may not be considered a "sure thing" franchise QB, but there's enough of a chance that he's going to be one that one of the teams looking at him will not take the chance of passing on him.

Also, I agree it's a bad year for QBs at the top end. However, I disagree that it's a bad year overall for QBs. There's some good mid-late round value in this year's QB class.

There are some great late round guys but mid rounds Im not so sure. Im assuming your rankings look something like;
1. Ryan
2. Brohm
3. Henne
4. Flacco
5. Woodson
6. Ainge
7. Booty
8. Johnson
9. O'Connell
10. Dixon

Out of that list, Id venture to say Brohm is the most ready but has hit his ceiling. Ryan has the "it" factor but I question his decision making and field vision. Flacco has the best arm but his accuracy is a concern and his escapability. Henne has the best pedigree but can he be a leader?. Johnson has the most potential, and O'Connell is not far behind him but both need at least 2 seasons to become a starter in the NFL and the rest are well they are the rest. Later in the draft you have guys like Brink, Trafalis (SJ St), Roach (Catawaba), Stotts (Kutztown), Santos (New Hampshire), who have potential and could be good pickups late. So overall it lacks top end talent you have a couple his potential guys in the Rd 4-5 area but Im not impressed at all overall.

DraftBoy
03-23-2008, 09:10 AM
I think Atlanta, NYJ and Baltimore are all possible homes for Ryan. Croyle and Clemens are both huge ?'s in my mind, so it wouldn't suprise me the least to see either of these two teams take him and if both of them do decide to pass, Baltimore will scoop him up for sure.

Also, I think D-Mac would serve as a nice compliment to Turner in Atlanta. That would be a sure way to sell tickets, imo and I would be watching them on NFL Ticket if this happened.

I could see McKelvin going to NE if he is available but if he goes the pick before like in your draft, then I think Jenkins could be NE's selection.

Overall, I thought you had a really well thought out draft, can't wait to see the rest of it.

We have Jerious Norwood as the compliment to Turner already, he is lightning in a bottle when he touched the ball.

Confused
03-23-2008, 09:12 AM
annoying side to side scroll. If you are gonna trade our pick, at least make the mock COMPLETE so we can see our pick.

Confused
03-23-2008, 09:17 AM
Took a look at Great Blue North Reports' top 175 and this is the way I'd choose if this was the deal for the Bills....
1.) Antoine Cason, CB (pickk 26)
2A.) Andre Caldwell, WR (pick 41)
2B.) Chris Ellis, DE (pick 58)
3A.) Red Bryant, DT (pick 71)
3B.) Oneil Cousins, OT (pick 72)
4.) Jermichael Finley, TE (pick 110)
Not bad overall.

:puke:

Scumbag College
03-23-2008, 09:41 AM
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=10512

"There seems to be a growing belief with the Jaguars that they may try to package some extra draft picks (a third and a fifth) that they received in the Marcus Stroud trade to Buffalo, and with a player or two thrown in, trade the allotment to a team that is in the upper half of the draft. That would include any number of teams 10 picks or more ahead of the Jaguars who are currently scheduled to pick No. 26 at the current time."

...more...

Rumor is Detroit might be looking at Derrick. So if the Jags want him, they have to get ahead of them. That would leave Denver and us as dancing partners. I don't see Denver wanting to move back that far. This is very plausible IMO.

If that does happen, I'd be happy. You do have to take all these rumors though with a grain of salt. If this does happen, the Bills would have 5 of the top 90 picks in the drafts, and could address WR, TE, DE, CB all before the fourth round.

:band:

coastal
03-23-2008, 03:19 PM
annoying side to side scroll. If you are gonna trade our pick, at least make the mock COMPLETE so we can see our pick.wait for it...