Sabres to start their own farm team in Portland, Maine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Jan 2004

Sabres to start their own farm team in Portland, Maine?

Sources said recently that Portland, Maine, was a likely destination. It would end the Sabres’ 29-year relationship with the Amerks, the longest current partnership between an NHL team and its AHL affiliate.

Amerks President Steve Donner and businessman Walter Turek each own 40 percent of the franchise while Massachusetts-based investor Randall Latona owns the other 20 percent. Financial problems led to a power struggle with each other and the Sabres for the past several years.

Their feud is expected to result in Turek, once a top adviser to Sabres owner B. Thomas Golisano, and Latona being bought out in the next few weeks by an unidentified investor who would own 51 percent. Donner will probably own the rest. Regardless, the Amerks will likely continue their relationship with Florida and bid farewell to Buffalo.

“It’s disappointing and sad in many ways that we couldn’t find a way to resolve our differences,” Donner said. “Given the nature of how our relationship is right now, a fresh start for both sides is probably a positive thing.”
    Last edited by BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan; 03-23-2008, 06:36 PM.
  • JD
    Sabres Zone
    • Sep 2003

Re: Sabres to start their own farm team in Portland, Maine?

When does Mikey get his panthers jersey
    “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• Michael82
      • Jul 2002

Comment

• CuseJetsFan83
        Closet Bills Fan
        • Nov 2004

i love how its always "sources"......... portland and anaheim started their agreement not to long ago (2005 to be exact) and that bond got stronger on their way to their stanley cup winning campaign last year. granted its complete polar opposites, in travel terms, that deal isn't expected to break til 2010, when portland's lease on their arena expires.....

if anything i have a feeling hamilton may be used as bait with buffalo and montreal...... some rumors i hear around the AHL are saying hamilton may go to buffalo, and the canadiens would have an ability to start a team closer to them, and rumors are still growing that it may involve the maritimes, but travel costs usually put the kibitz on that

j-e-t-s
        jets jets jets (insert suck for those who aren't gangreen fans)

Comment

• RockStar36
          Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
          • Sep 2004

I wish they would put the team in Erie. We've had OHL hockey for over a decade but I'd love to have the Sabres farm team here. And it's really close. From what I hear though, the arena here isn't big enough to house an AHL team.

D & S Sports

Comment

• don137
            • Jul 2002

Donner sure has ruined a great relationship. Its really too bad..

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
              • May 2003

I don't really understand all of the underlying problems, personalities and relationships, but it seems that things really started to go bad when the Sabres decided to share the Amerks with Florida (if that's how it went).

Those kinds of thing rarely succeed. Golisano is sometimes too bottom line oriented for his - and the Sabres - own good.

It seems that the Sabres and Amerks had had a great and successful long term relationship until Florida was brought into the picture. I have to put some of the blame on Golisano and Quinn for this mess.
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• User Manuel
                The Artist formerly Known as Lawesome97
                • Nov 2003

I have heard recently that Florida is pulling out now as well.

Comment

• Michael82
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by don137
                  Donner sure has ruined a great relationship. Its really too bad..
                  if only he decided to sell the ****ing team, like he was forced to do with the Rochester Rhinos soccer team. Then maybe things wouldn't be so ****ed up.

Comment

• Michael82
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Lawesome97
                    I have heard recently that Florida is pulling out now as well.
                    doesn't surprise me. Donner is a ****ing moron and needs to sell the team fast, like he did with the Rhinos.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                      Roways rooking ahread!
                      • Sep 2005

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...d.php?t=149284

LA PLAYA / NBF!!

Comment

• RockStar36
                        Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                        • Sep 2004

Skooby, don't spam legitimate threads

D & S Sports

Comment

• JD
                          Sabres Zone
                          • Sep 2003

Just for that Skoob, I will not vote for them. Good job tool
                          “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

Working...
                          X