• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don Cherry
    BFZ Hockey Commissioner
    • Oct 2002

Vanek delivers the crushing blow

Now you're wishing more than ever that the Buffalo Sabres had won the draft lottery. Now you're thinking that the fifth pick might no longer be prime real estate.
    Because what you want more than anything is to see University of Minnesota freshman Thomas Vanek someday wearing a Sabres uniform. But let's get serious. Could there really be four teams crazy enough to let him slide?

It's not all that much of a stretch to say Vanek, the most outstanding player, was a one-man-wrecking crew during the Frozen Four. He came out of the corner and surprised Michigan goaltender Al Montoya from a sharp angle as the Golden Gophers beat the Wolverines in overtime of the semifinals.
    ...MORE...

• Don Cherry
    BFZ Hockey Commissioner
    • Oct 2002

Freshman Vanek eyed by the NHL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted on Sun, Apr. 13, 2003 Associated Press

BUFFALO, N.Y. - Thomas Vanek captivated the Frozen Four. Can the NHL be far behind?

Vanek, the Most Outstanding Player of the Frozen Four, figures his next big step to be the NHL entry draft in Nashville. The Florida Panthers own the No. 1 pick.

"I plan to be there," the Austrian star said. "My whole family is coming down there. I don't care where I go."

Vanek finished his freshman season at the University of Minnesota with 31 goals and 31 assists for 62 points. He broke Aaron Broten's school freshman record of 58 points and became the first freshman to lead the Golden Gophers in scoring in 33 years.

The 19-year-old is listed by the NHL's Central Scouting Bureau as the third-highest prospect, and there's little doubt that his Frozen Four performance did nothing but make his stock rise.

"Of course, I wanted to play well," he said. "I just wanted to try my hardest and it worked. I just wanted to win. We'll see. I've got the whole summer to think about that right now. I'm just enjoying this."

"Tommy's carried the team all year," Minnesota captain Grant Potulny said. "When people say we don't have any stars, just look at (Vanek's) No. 26. If I was an NHL team, I'd draft him with the first pick."

...MORE...

Comment

• The Spaz
      • Mar 2003

I and We (Sabres) need Vanek!:) Go Sabres!

Comment

Working...
      X