X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Bills' Schobel conspicuous in workout absence

I guess I'm not the only one that thinks Schobel is a waste.

"On the other end of the spectrum, though, one has to wonder about Buffalo's other starting defensive end, two-time Pro Bowler Aaron Schobel. Last offseason, the seven-year veteran was reportedly unhappy about the contract he had at the time -- a three-year, $21 million accord -- so the franchise misguidedly gave him a new deal worth $50.5 million over seven campaigns, making Schobel the highest-paid athlete in Buffalo sports history.
    Schobel signed his enormous contract last August, then responded with a pedestrian season that included a mere 6.5 sacks. That was a highly disappointing follow-up to Schobel's 14.5-sack season the year previous. Still, the 2001 second-round pick from TCU made it to his second straight Pro Bowl, despite the fact his sack total decreased by more than half from 2006 to '07 and he was subpar against the run.
    Given his performance in 2007 -- and it wasn't good for the money the Bills gave Schobel -- it's valid to question why the 30-year-old isn't in Buffalo right now with some of his other teammates, including Kelsay. Although workouts are voluntary at the moment, Schobel could have slightly repaid the franchise that made his bank account enormous by showing up to work and sending a positive message to his teammates.
    Instead, though, Schobel has so far chosen to keep his distance. If he doesn't make an appearance within the next week, then he'd better show himself on the field in 2008.
    Otherwise, a contract that has looked unjustified to this point will seem even worse next offseason."

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/21593.html

• bigbub2352
    • Feb 2005

Re: Bills' Schobel conspicuous in workout absence

I read that article, i have said it for a long time, i think Scobel is an *******, he never stays here longer than he has too, he doesnt do anything in the line of charitites at least locally, and he comes off very arrogante and cocky when interveiwed,

Hey Schobel get a ****ing sack that matters u overatted and over paid jerk, and tell ur white boy brother over there to do something anything (kelsay) to justify his pay check
    XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• colin
      Drew's my hero!
      • Jul 2002

subpar against the run? pedestrain campaign?

i agree that he didn't put the pressure on as much as in past years, but he forced a half dozen fumbles and had a TON of tackles.

he also had lots of plays behind the line in the running game.

Comment

• The Answer
        The Plagiarist
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
        I guess I'm not the only one that thinks Schobel is a waste.

"On the other end of the spectrum, though, one has to wonder about Buffalo's other starting defensive end, two-time Pro Bowler Aaron Schobel. Last offseason, the seven-year veteran was reportedly unhappy about the contract he had at the time -- a three-year, $21 million accord -- so the franchise misguidedly gave him a new deal worth $50.5 million over seven campaigns, making Schobel the highest-paid athlete in Buffalo sports history.
        Schobel signed his enormous contract last August, then responded with a pedestrian season that included a mere 6.5 sacks. That was a highly disappointing follow-up to Schobel's 14.5-sack season the year previous. Still, the 2001 second-round pick from TCU made it to his second straight Pro Bowl, despite the fact his sack total decreased by more than half from 2006 to '07 and he was subpar against the run.
        Given his performance in 2007 -- and it wasn't good for the money the Bills gave Schobel -- it's valid to question why the 30-year-old isn't in Buffalo right now with some of his other teammates, including Kelsay. Although workouts are voluntary at the moment, Schobel could have slightly repaid the franchise that made his bank account enormous by showing up to work and sending a positive message to his teammates.
        Instead, though, Schobel has so far chosen to keep his distance. If he doesn't make an appearance within the next week, then he'd better show himself on the field in 2008.
        Otherwise, a contract that has looked unjustified to this point will seem even worse next offseason."

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/21593.html

Levy had a solid 2 year run turning this franchise's fortunes, but extending Schobel was a huge mistake.

He has become the true definition of a 'fatcat'.

~The Answer

Comment

• ddaryl
          Everything I post is sexual inuendo
          • Jan 2005

I think Schobel can be quite effective with our improved DL... He's no stud at DE though. He is adquate with the occasional flash of great things, but he doesn't make me miss Bruce Smith any less...

If he blows off the entire offseason accept for mandatories then I'll be ore upset with him, but I don't expect him to be here for every single voluntary, just the majority of them. So I'll take a wait and see attitude in regards to Schobels dedication and vet prescence towards building the Bills into a playoff contender

Comment

• Bone
            Bone
            • Oct 2006

Wow. He's not appearing a voluneer workouts, he probably never talked to coach and told him why he is not there.

c'mon guys we know nothing about the reason why he's not there, don't act like we do.
            BILLIEVE

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
              • May 2003

Schobel never has been a team leader in the sense that Kelsay and Royal are, so I'm not really surprised by his lack of interest in being with his teammates. You would think he might show his appreciation for his huge contract by going the extra mile, but I guess he's not that type of guy.

To me, he's a slightly better than average DE, who is being somewhat overpaid - but you could say that about a lot of NFL players.
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Mitch20

Wow. He's not appearing a voluneer workouts, he probably never talked to coach and told him why he is not there.

c'mon guys we know nothing about the reason why he's not there, don't act like we do.
                If he doesn't have a valid reason, then he has no excuse for not being here.

If his grandmother died, or his wife is due...fine. If he's just blowing it off because it's labeled 'voluntary' (which, by league rules I believe, it has to be) then ship his ass off to Baltimore also because he's no better for team chemistry than Willis was.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                  My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                  • Apr 2004

This is overblown. However, I still believe that he is getting paid too much for being a coverage-sack artist. He usually sticks with his assignment and makes few mistakes, though.
                  I hope we do draft Harvey. We need a true pass rusher.

Comment

• raphael120
                    Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                    • Oct 2005

Dont blame Schobel, blame the idiots who overpaid for him.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

Sheez. Of all the players to whine about the writer is *****ing about the most proven and consistent player on this team through the years.

Of all the players that should be there, Trent and the young ones who have a lot to learn and a lot to do to earn their teammates respect should be there.
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• gr8slayer
                        • Feb 2005

Christ, had we just let Schobel walk everyone would have talked about what a cheap ass Wilson is.

Who cares that he isn't here for his voluntary workouts, he's one of our most veteran players and doesn't need to prove anything to anyone. Last season he was doubled and chipped by everyone because he was our only threat. Hopefully they do that to him again this year and we can get someone on the other side of him that can rush the passer.

I'm far more concerned about what Edwards, Lynch, and Butler are doing than what Schobel is doing.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                          Roways rooking ahread!
                          • Sep 2005

The guy has had like zero help around him for years now and still performed, yet he is no good because he doesn't show up for involuntary workouts?

He is going to have a career year this season and the contract is going to look like peanuts next year. If we draft Harvey, you can reserve a locker for Aaron & him at the pro-bowl next year.

Comment

• Dont drink the water
                            • Oct 2005

The writer is a whiner whose editor pays sites to link to articles. Not worth the electrons printed on.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                              • May 2003

It's no big deal. It simply confirms that Schobel is not a team leader, and that money can't buy leadership.
                              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

Working...
                              X