Clear All
  • Don Cherry
    BFZ Hockey Commissioner
    • Oct 2002

Biron And Rivet Named To Team Canada

CANADA’S MEN’S WORLDS ROSTER STANDS AT 12 PLAYERS

CANADIAN HOCKEY ASSOCIATION NEWS RELEASE

April 11, 2003

CALGARY, AB--Team Canada General Manager Steve Tambellini announced two additional NHL players that will represent Canada at the 2003 IIHF Men’s World Hockey Championship, taking place in Finland, April 26-May 11, 2003. Buffalo Sabres goaltender Martin Biron will join Team Canada as the third goaltender behind Sean Burke and Roberto Luongo. Montreal Canadiens defenseman Craig Rivet will represent Canada for the first time in his career when he suits up in Finland.

Biron and Rivet join ten other NHL players that were announced on Monday on Team Canada’s roster by Tambellini, along with Team Canada Assistant GM Don Maloney (NY Rangers) and Director, Player Personnel Jim Nill (Detroit Red Wings). Canada’s roster now stands at 12 players. Additional players may be announced this week, with the remaining roster confirmed after the first round of the NHL Playoffs.

Biron, a first-round draft choice (16th overall) of the Buffalo Sabres in 1995 NHL Entry Draft, will be representing Canada on the international stage for the 2nd time in his career (was a member of Canada’s gold medal 1997 World Junior team). Biron played 54 games for the Sabres this season, amassing a 2.54 GAA with four shutouts.
    ...MORE...

• Don Cherry
    BFZ Hockey Commissioner
    • Oct 2002

Team USA To Compete In IIHF World Championship, April 26-May 11 In Finland

COLORADO SPRINGS, CO--USA Hockey today named 15 players to a preliminary roster for the 2003 United States Men's National Team, which will compete at the 2003 International Ice Hockey Federation Men's World Championship, to be held April 26-May 11 in Helsinki, Tampere and Turku, Finland. The remaining eight members will be named later this month to fill-out the 23-player roster. The announcement was made by 2003 U.S. Men's National Team Co-General Managers Jay Feaster and Larry Pleau, Director of Player Personnel Art Berglund, USA Hockey President Walter L. Bush, Jr., USA Hockey Vice President and International Council Chairperson Ron DeGregorio, and USA Hockey Executive Director Doug Palazzari.

Eight forwards, all of whom have NHL experience, were selected to the preliminary roster. Five forwards competed in the NHL this season: Matt Cullen, Brad DeFauw, Nicholas Dimitrakos, Adam Hall, and Craig Johnson. The remaining three forwards are Ted Drury and Kelly Fairchild from the German Hockey League, and Kevin Miller from the Swiss National League.

Five defensemen were also named to the preliminary roster, three of which competed in the NHL this season. They include Francis Bouillon, Jim Fahey, and Jordan Leopold. Rounding out the defensemen selected to the preliminary roster are John Gruden, and Brett Hauer, both of whom have
    previous NHL experience.

Comment

• BironsGirl43
      Can suck a golf-ball through a garden-hose.
      • Oct 2002

WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO :)

I heard about this a couple days ago and I forgot to reply!! lol..

Anyway.. that's awesome.. I'm glad that he's going.. even though he probably won't get a chance to play.. I think it says a lot about him.. that he's willing to go even as a third stringer..

GO MARTY! GO CANADA!
      ~*Let's go Buffalo*~

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
        Legendary Zoner
        • Jul 2002

Cujo will be there soon.

Comment

• Rude American
          EE is my American Idol
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
          Cujo will be there soon.
          You mean the hall of fame? Yeah, I agree.

You want that hamburger on bun?

Comment

• BironsGirl43
            Can suck a golf-ball through a garden-hose.
            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
            Cujo will be there soon.
            Nope.. there's no room for him..

Burke
            Luongo
            Biron..

The rest of his season will consist of a whole lot of.. FOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEE :girlsmil:
            ~*Let's go Buffalo*~

Comment

Working...
            X