PDA

View Full Version : Fred Davis in Round Two?

Scumbag College
03-24-2008, 03:37 PM
I've been reading alot of mock drafts and Fred Davis is available on almost all of them at the Bills pick in the second round. I really think the Bills go WR in the first round, and I think the Bills passing offense would be head and shoulders improved from where they were last year with Kelly/Sweed/Thomas with Evans on the other side and Fred Davis at TE. In this situation in a regular 2 RB, 2 WR, and 1 TE set, this would let Davis and Lynch go out in pass patterns. The opposing D's would either have to:

1. Cover Lynch and Davis with safeties, leaving Evans and the other WR one on one with a CB on the outside.

2. Cover either one or both with LBs, which is i mismatch.

or

3. Going to a nickel D, causing a mismatch if there is a running play called.

My question is about Davis' run blocking skills though. Being in NY, I really don't get to see too much of USC's games. Is he a good run blocker, or is he a liability?

Dr. Lecter
03-24-2008, 03:39 PM
He is not much of a blocker, at this time.

L.A. Playa
03-24-2008, 03:42 PM
Being a USC fan I can tell you, Davis will get overwhelmed by LB's and DE's in trying to block them

He has great hands, runs great routes and is deceptively fast, he originally was a WR that was converted to TE.

I really question USC players coming to the pro's the last 5 years or so, especially on the offensive side of the ball they havent had that much success in the NFL.

Lately they have been great collegiates but not great pro's

DraftBoy
03-24-2008, 03:44 PM
His blocking is some of the worst of any TE in the draft. He's pretty much a slow WR at this point imo.

L.A. Playa
03-24-2008, 03:45 PM
His blocking is some of the worst of any TE in the draft. He's pretty much a slow WR at this point imo.

Thats why USC moved him to to TE from WR

X-Era
03-24-2008, 03:46 PM
I've been reading alot of mock drafts and Fred Davis is available on almost all of them at the Bills pick in the second round. I really think the Bills go WR in the first round, and I think the Bills passing offense would be head and shoulders improved from where they were last year with Kelly/Sweed/Thomas with Evans on the other side and Fred Davis at TE. In this situation in a regular 2 RB, 2 WR, and 1 TE set, this would let Davis and Lynch go out in pass patterns. The opposing D's would either have to:

1. Cover Lynch and Davis with safeties, leaving Evans and the other WR one on one with a CB on the outside.

2. Cover either one or both with LBs, which is i mismatch.

or

3. Going to a nickel D, causing a mismatch if there is a running play called.

My question is about Davis' run blocking skills though. Being in NY, I really don't get to see too much of USC's games. Is he a good run blocker, or is he a liability?

I think he has the potential to be a good run blocker. The size is there, as is the strength. Technique could use help. Hes not considered to be the best run blocker of the TE's. But can he be good? I think so.

Scumbag College
03-24-2008, 03:49 PM
OK, thanks for the feedback...

I really want a TE to be a good blocker. If I had to choose one that was a little worse receiver but a strong blocker vs. strictly a pass catching TE and a bad blocker, I'd choose the worse receiver. I really like Bennett from Texas A&M. He has great size, decent speed for a TE of his size, and is a solid blocker.

Yasgur's Farm
03-24-2008, 06:09 PM
I like Keller or Bennett round 2... I'd also be OK with Rucker round 3 if need be.

Confused
03-24-2008, 06:15 PM
I think Davis is a great fit here. Any of the top three TE's in the draft are a substantial improvement over anyone we currently bring to the table at that position regarless of of there pro's and cons. The fact that Davis is a former WR leads me to believe that he CAN get open rather than just being a big target. I think the guy has enough talent that we can learn him how to block in a season or 2. Also, he brings a different flavor of "beast mode" most of us will find appealing. Davis is my pick in the 2nd. The thing is, i have a feeling he may not be there. mybe we pull a "POZ" and trade up to the top of the 2nd?

bigbub2352
03-24-2008, 06:29 PM
Everyone say it with me, i would be glad if we picked Davis, but i think the TE in this draft is gonna be Bennett, i think he is the real deal, i watched him play in three games, he is cocky, but he backs it up, plays to the whistle, catches everything and is a monster and will be awesome for us in the redzone

yordad
03-25-2008, 07:34 AM
I think Davis is a great fit here. Any of the top three TE's in the draft are a substantial improvement over anyone we currently bring to the table at that position regarless of of there pro's and cons. The fact that Davis is a former WR leads me to believe that he CAN get open rather than just being a big target. I think the guy has enough talent that we can learn him how to block in a season or 2. Also, he brings a different flavor of "beast mode" most of us will find appealing. Davis is my pick in the 2nd. The thing is, i have a feeling he may not be there. mybe we pull a "POZ" and trade up to the top of the 2nd?Top three? I think it is more like top 10 or so.

TigerJ
03-25-2008, 07:52 AM
Fred Davis scares me as a TE prospect. It's not just the blocking. He was productive in college, but mostly because he's a polished route runner with decent hands, not because he can outreach anyone for the ball or because he's got an extra gear. In other words, I think he's about as good as he's going to get. On the other side of the ball, the safeties and coverage linebackers he's going to face will all be better than what he faced in college. That means he has the dreaded "limited upside." A receiver that I feared had the same limited upside coming out of college was Josh Reed. It was the same deal; polished route runner with decent hands and not a great deal of athleticism. He was good in his rookie campaign, but then teams started studying film and caught up with what he was doing, and he never got any better. I'm afraid the same thing will happen with Davis.

Jan Reimers
03-25-2008, 08:00 AM
Let's not forget, in any discussion of the blocking ability of our prospective TEs, that Royal will still be around, at least for next season. He's a good blocker, a veteran and a leader.

Our TE corps will most probably include Draft Pick (I like Bennett), Royal and either Anderson or Teyo Johnson.

DraftBoy
03-25-2008, 08:09 AM
Let's not forget, in any discussion of the blocking ability of our prospective TEs, that Royal will still be around, at least for next season. He's a good blocker, a veteran and a leader.

Our TE corps will most probably include Draft Pick (I like Bennett), Royal and either Anderson or Teyo Johnson.

While that is a good point Im tired of taking one dimensional TE's lets get an all around guy in here like a Todd Heap type. Even Antonio Gates and Vernon Davis are at least decent blockers.

Mahdi
03-25-2008, 08:24 AM
OK, thanks for the feedback...

I really want a TE to be a good blocker. If I had to choose one that was a little worse receiver but a strong blocker vs. strictly a pass catching TE and a bad blocker, I'd choose the worse receiver. I really like Bennett from Texas A&M. He has great size, decent speed for a TE of his size, and is a solid blocker.
And thats how you end up with Robert Royal and Ryan Neufeld at TE....

It doesnt mean much to be a good run blocker when the defense knows a run is coming and is not afraid of being beat over the middle by a playmaking TE.

IMO a TE that can stretch a defense is a better run blocker than a run blocking TE simply due to the fact that he keeps defenses honest.

I'll take the pass-catching TE over the blocker anyday.

eyedog
03-25-2008, 08:36 AM
They don't need to use a first day pick on a t-end. They can find an upgrade in the 4th or 5th.

Jan Reimers
03-25-2008, 08:40 AM
While that is a good point Im tired of taking one dimensional TE's lets get an all around guy in here like a Todd Heap type. Even Antonio Gates and Vernon Davis are at least decent blockers.
I agree, and that's why I like Bennett.

PECKERWOOD
03-25-2008, 08:55 AM
Terrell Thomas, CB, USC

Rucker can be had in the 3rd.

TigerJ
03-25-2008, 05:10 PM
Terrell Thomas, CB, USC

Rucker can be had in the 3rd.

NFLDraftScout.com now rates Rucker as a fourth or fifth rounder.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=TE&draftyear=2008&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

DraftBoy
03-25-2008, 06:45 PM
NFLDraftScout.com now rates Rucker as a fourth or fifth rounder.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=TE&draftyear=2008&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

I saw that the other day and I disagree with them, I think he's the top TE in this class.

X-Era
03-25-2008, 07:13 PM
I saw that the other day and I disagree with them, I think he's the top TE in this class.

I honestly feel Dustin Keller is now my favorite. Its not because of the 40 or combine.

Just watching his highlights, I see a playmaker.

If we go blocker, I think it will be Kellen Davis.

Can Allaire add muscle mass to Keller and make him an athletic beast rather than just an over-sized WR? I think that can happen.

Hes looks to be a Dallas Clark type IMO.

But I think he has the athleticism to add the strength and/or bulk to be a good blocker.

TigerJ
03-25-2008, 09:38 PM
I saw that the other day and I disagree with them, I think he's the top TE in this class.I guess he dropped because he doesn't have real good speed. I think he's a well rounded TE. He's not my favorite. I'm not even sure I have a favorite, but he's dropped more than I thought he would.

coastal
03-27-2008, 08:04 PM
Bennett would be a killer selection.

He's got the all-around game. More importantly... he brings a great personality with him. Between him and Marshawn (and hopefully Devin) we would have quite the cast of characters.

Having fun is important and the Bills haven't had fun in a long time.

DraftBoy
03-28-2008, 07:47 AM
Bennett would be a killer selection.

He's got the all-around game. More importantly... he brings a great personality with him. Between him and Marshawn (and hopefully Devin) we would have quite the cast of characters.

Having fun is important and the Bills haven't had fun in a long time.

The reason I like Bennett so much is not only because of his gifted athleticism but also for his ability to add to his frame. He has the build to become a devastating blocker and not lose any athletic ability.

Scumbag College
03-28-2008, 08:18 AM
The reason I like Bennett so much is not only because of his gifted athleticism but also for his ability to add to his frame. He has the build to become a devastating blocker and not lose any athletic ability.

If the Bills get another big blocker to play alongside Dockery, Walker, Peters, etc. that will make the running game and Marshawn that much better. If he can go out and contribute regularly as a receiver, then the Bills offense will be better than 30th or whatever they ended up as last year.

DraftBoy
03-28-2008, 08:22 AM
If the Bills get another big blocker to play alongside Dockery, Walker, Peters, etc. that will make the running game and Marshawn that much better. If he can go out and contribute regularly as a receiver, then the Bills offense will be better than 30th or whatever they ended up as last year.

You got it! :up:

mysticsoto
03-28-2008, 12:39 PM

I'm not sure that having another blocker is what they need (not that it would hurt). What they need is for our HUGE Oline to get a push. They do well in containing and preventing penetration. Now they need to focus on improving their push to make some lanes for Lynch...

DraftBoy
03-28-2008, 01:06 PM
I'm not sure that having another blocker is what they need (not that it would hurt). What they need is for our HUGE Oline to get a push. They do well in containing and preventing penetration. Now they need to focus on improving their push to make some lanes for Lynch...

We need a real road grader at RG imo. Butler is not the answer to me at least.

mysticsoto
03-28-2008, 03:09 PM
We need a real road grader at RG imo. Butler is not the answer to me at least.

Butler hasn't had enough time to answer that question. But everyone on that Oline is typically bigger than the avg Oline and they need to start pushing others around. I blame the line as a whole for their inability to open up the run. Surprisingly, Peters and Dockery weren't as dominant as they should have been also!

DraftBoy
03-28-2008, 03:28 PM
Butler hasn't had enough time to answer that question. But everyone on that Oline is typically bigger than the avg Oline and they need to start pushing others around. I blame the line as a whole for their inability to open up the run. Surprisingly, Peters and Dockery weren't as dominant as they should have been also!

I dont see it in Butler, I think he's the ideal rotational OT/OG but I dont see him as a road grading run blocking RG.

coastal
03-28-2008, 04:07 PM
Butler hasn't had enough time to answer that question. But everyone on that Oline is typically bigger than the avg Oline and they need to start pushing others around. I blame the line as a whole for their inability to open up the run. Surprisingly, Peters and Dockery weren't as dominant as they should have been also!You think it had anything to do with the opposing teams knowing when and where we were going to run it on every single play?

mysticsoto
03-28-2008, 09:42 PM
You think it had anything to do with the opposing teams knowing when and where we were going to run it on every single play?

Yeah, that could certainly figure into it. But I'm not going to cut the line any slack. They did great in pass coverage and underachieved in the run blocking despite being one of the biggest lines overall in the league. Time to start playing like you're that big. I think the line overall lacks fire and they needs to get a little more attitude and then back it up with their play.

mysticsoto
03-28-2008, 09:44 PM
I dont see it in Butler, I think he's the ideal rotational OT/OG but I dont see him as a road grading run blocking RG.

No, I don't see him as a road grater either, but I think he's pretty quick and he should be able to use that to trap his opponent from time to time instead of just bull rushing them.