PDA

View Full Version : Listening to WGR55 and a scout was talking about WR Devin Thomas

blackonyx89
03-25-2008, 09:26 AM
He was saying that Malcom Kelly was dropping in the draft and he said this
kid Devin is a big guy with good speed and reminds him of Andre Reed,
but bigger, faster and stronger. What do you think?

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/637263/nfl_draft_profile_michigan_state_wr.html

Tatonka
03-25-2008, 09:37 AM
i think the bills like him.

Michael82
03-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Kelly's knees are supposedly really bad. I'm wondering how far he will fall....2nd round? 3rd round??!? :shocked:

Mr. Miyagi
03-25-2008, 09:38 AM
I bet a team like the Falcons "leaked" that out so he could fall to them in the 2nd round.

Tatonka
03-25-2008, 09:44 AM
devin in the 1st, kelly in the 2nd.

:snicker:

i wouldnt be mad.

blackonyx89
03-25-2008, 09:50 AM

i wouldnt be mad.

Now we have a choice of either Sweed or Thomas.

gr8slayer
03-25-2008, 09:56 AM
Sweed.....

Mr. Miyagi
03-25-2008, 09:59 AM
I'll say it now before everyone else does after the draft.

It's not a reach if it fills a need.

Michael82
03-25-2008, 10:00 AM

i wouldnt be mad.
I wouldn't be mad. It would give us a true backup plan for when we trade Lee Evans after the season.... :up:

The King
03-25-2008, 10:01 AM
Those who are not aware WGR is available on Zone Radio for Donors!!!

Great option for out of towners!

The last buffalo fan
03-25-2008, 10:23 AM

:bf1:

Oh wait!

Michael82
03-25-2008, 10:28 AM

is it finally working now? the link was down for a while....

DraftBoy
03-25-2008, 10:30 AM
I'll say it now before everyone else does after the draft.

It's not a reach if it fills a need.

It's still a reach

Michael82
03-25-2008, 10:34 AM
It's still a reach
who gives a ****? If it fills a need and the player does well....who cares if it's a reach?

gr8slayer
03-25-2008, 10:36 AM
Theoretically everyone you take in any round is a "reach" to somebody.

hydro
03-25-2008, 10:37 AM
Theoretically everyone you take in any round is a "reach" to somebody.
Theoretically! :rofl:

gr8slayer
03-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Theoretically! :rofl:
That was for you and Ninja :snicker:

acehole
03-25-2008, 10:42 AM

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/637263/nfl_draft_profile_michigan_state_wr.html

I think more like Andre Rision.

He is also a character guy....and can play in cold weather.

He is instant upgade at the position reguardless of his rookie status.

The Bills have reached before for a position of need and they might just do it here.

Would not be the end of the world if we picked him there....

I said in another thread I would like to trade down just a few spots to pick him...

however I read somewhere that the bills contimplated doing this with there pick last year and did not want to take the risk.....

So yea I am on board....however unlikely I would prefer a trade down to do so...,.

blackonyx89
03-25-2008, 10:47 AM
I think more like Andre Rision.

He is also a character guy....and can play in cold weather.

He is instant upgade at the position reguardless of his rookie status.

The Bills have reached before for a position of need and they might just do it here.

Would not be the end of the world if we picked him there....

I said in anther thread I would like to trade down just a few spots to pick him...

however I read somewhere that the bills contiplated doing this with there pick last year and did not want to take the risk.....

So yea I am on board....however unlikely I would prefer a trade down to do so...,.

That's what the guy said about him on the radio. I can see why the Bills are interested in him. They look for that in their players.

Mahdi
03-25-2008, 10:49 AM
It's still a reach
Lee Evans was considered a reach...

What I like about Devin Thomas is that he is a good football player. Fast, quick, strong, good hands (doesnt catch with body), uses his size well and plays bigger than 6'2.

IMO he is a bigger version of Lee Evans. Which can make the Bills O very dangerous.

TigerJ
03-25-2008, 10:49 AM
There are warts on almost every player. It's just some are bigger than others. There are warts on Matt Ryan and Chris Long and they will go top ten. Devin Thomas' main wart is he was not productive his whole college career. There are worse ones he could have (like rumored bad knees)

DraftBoy
03-25-2008, 10:53 AM

What I like about Devin Thomas is that he is a good football player. Fast, quick, strong, good hands (doesnt catch with body), uses his size well and plays bigger than 6'2.

IMO he is a bigger version of Lee Evans. Which can make the Bills O very dangerous.

yes he was, and McGahee was a steal, and McCargo, Whitner, and Kelsay were all reaches. Some pan out some dont, the point is that if we went BPA in those 3 spots how different is this team? If we go BPA over Evans how different are we? You dont pass on potential pro bowlers at say LB to reach for a WR who you can get of comparable talent in the next round.

bigbub2352
03-25-2008, 11:00 AM
Devon thomas will be the Bills selection at 11, or if they trade out he will be there pick in the mid20s, they like him alot, and so do i, i have been all over the billszone perdiciting this

He will be the pick even if it is looked at as a reach, 6ft 2 218lbs and a 4.4, those are ander johnson numbers, he is big enough in the redzone, and will open up the feild, grab Bennett in rd 2 and our offense has just got that much better

Devin Thomas is the pick at 11 hold me too it

acehole
03-25-2008, 11:14 AM
Devon thomas will be the Bills selection at 11, or if they trade out he will be there pick in the mid20s, they like him alot, and so do i, i have been all over the billszone perdiciting this

He will be the pick even if it is looked at as a reach, 6ft 2 218lbs and a 4.4, those are ander johnson numbers, he is big enough in the redzone, and will open up the feild, grab Bennett in rd 2 and our offense has just got that much better

Devin Thomas is the pick at 11 hold me too it

What I like about him is that he is physical vs being a burner...even though he is fast.

I am repeating myself here but I think that is what we are looking for this in this offense.

Ball control...short slants moving the chains..Dink and dunk if you will.

He gives us another dimension as he can stretch the field if call upon

I hope we have a qb that can make all of the throws however.

My other point on this while we are on it is that I don't know Lee Evans fits that model.

bigbub2352
03-25-2008, 11:36 AM
What I like about him is that he is physical vs being a burner...even though he is fast.

I am repeating myself here but I think that is what we are looking for this in this offense.

Ball control...short slants moving the chains..Dink and dunk if you will.

He gives us another dimension as he can stretch the field if call upon

I hope we have a qb that can make all of the throws however.

My other point on this while we are on it is that I don't know Lee Evans fits that model.

Edwards can defintly make all the throws, it was lack of Wrs getting open that made it dink and dunk, 4.4 speed and his size makes him the perfect compliment to Evans, and JP was the problem on the short to intermediate routes, JP had no accuracy short balls, and could barely throw a screen

These are things in my opinion that TE excells at
DThomas is a Bill our offense will get that much better

jamze132
03-25-2008, 03:04 PM
I still say Malcom Kelly in the 1st.

Tatonka
03-25-2008, 03:12 PM
i just realized this.. but when i think of chad johnson, i think "Big Receiver".. he plays big. well he is only 6'1" and 190lbs. so Thomas is considerably bigger in height and weight.

i understand he was not productive, but he is only a junior. if he stayed and put up another season like he did this year in his senior year, he would be a top 10 pick easily if not top 5.

im ok with taking him with our first pick if the bills love him.

Tatonka
03-25-2008, 03:12 PM
i just hope we stock up with another early WR like bowman or hubbard to make sure we have something in place in case we lose lee.

X-Era
03-25-2008, 03:20 PM

Bill Polian said, on draft day that year, Josh Reed is Andre Reed.

He really did say that. This comment reminded me of it.

Now, as far as Devin Thomas goes, we could do a helluva lot worse than to land him... even at 11.

His size and speed will create mismatches... but his YAC is so sick that you would puke. Had to say it. No, seriously, he has alot of YAC potential and thats important for a short to medium pass game.

Tatonka
03-25-2008, 03:22 PM
he is also a kick returner too, correct? or a punt returner? i remember watching one sick return of him in his highlights.

ParanoidAndroid
03-25-2008, 03:27 PM
I have questions about how a guy who missed 2 games in 2 years, and was that productive, has such bad knees that he's being scratched off of draft boards. Because he got injured in 2 bowl games, some say he hasn't produced in big games, even though he broke the Big 12 championship records for receptions (10) and yards (142) as a sophomore.

DraftBoy
03-25-2008, 03:44 PM
I have questions about how a guy who missed 2 games in 2 years, and was that productive, has such bad knees that he's being scratched off of draft boards. Because he got injured in 2 bowl games, some say he hasn't produced in big games, even though he broke the Big 12 championship records for receptions (10) and yards (142) as a sophomore.

One knee is bone on bone and the other is maybe arthritic, or maybe thats the same knee?

ParanoidAndroid
03-25-2008, 04:20 PM
That just seems so sudden. Weird.

Oaf
03-25-2008, 04:37 PM
Nelson could be a 3rd round starter if we decide to go CB or DE round 1.

TigerJ
03-25-2008, 04:58 PM
There are two reasons for not wanting to "reach" for a player, particularly in the first round. First, you want to maximize the value of these very precious picks. If you could have gotten a player later, then you need to ask, "Was a different player that we could have used a better value at that point in the draft?" If so, then the team needs to consider trying to trade down before making the pick. Trading down means getting anoher pick later in the draft. That can be important.

The second reason for not reaching is that it helps you not to overpay for young talent. In the first round the earning power of draft picks drops precipitously as the round proceeds. If you draft a player too early, particularly if that player needs some time to develop in order to be productive, then it feels a little like flushing money down the toilet during the early years of a high draft choice's rookie contract.

It's hard to definitively say that a team has reached or not. Most pundits outside the league thought the Bills reached some for Whitner. We heard a few anecdotal accounts of other teams a few picks later that were interested in Whitner, but we'll never know for sure. He has certainly has had plenty of playing time. He hasn't made a lot of big plays, but the Bills brain trust seems to think that may be because of lack of opportunity in the strong safety position.

Confused
03-25-2008, 05:03 PM
I need alot more than pre-draft speculation from a local radio station to be sold on this guy. MAinly at least one more productive college season.

gr8slayer
03-25-2008, 07:43 PM
i just realized this.. but when i think of chad johnson, i think "Big Receiver".. he plays big. well he is only 6'1" and 190lbs. so Thomas is considerably bigger in height and weight.

i understand he was not productive, but he is only a junior. if he stayed and put up another season like he did this year in his senior year, he would be a top 10 pick easily if not top 5.

im ok with taking him with our first pick if the bills love him.
Chad Johnson is a rare specimen, his skill set as a WR is superior to 95% of the other WR's in the league. I get your point though, but consider him the exception, not the norm.

Another WR that plays bigger than he is is Hines Ward.

X-Era
03-25-2008, 08:07 PM
One knee is bone on bone and the other is maybe arthritic, or maybe thats the same knee?

Heres my issue with this concept... granted, as you already know Im a big Kelly fan, but why now?

The guys played for years and did very well with these same knees.

To the best of my knowledge, knee cartilage doesnt go from being a playmaker on a college football field to having knees that are useless with bone on bone in what, 4 months if that since the college football season ended?

Lets put it this way. How much has his knee issue affected him so far? If not at all, how long until it does?

Terrel Davis had terrible migranes, Flozell Adams is deaf in one ear (as I remember). Is this an issue that a player has simply learned to overcome?

I would think that because its a knee vs. head or ear that it IS in fact a potentially serious, play affecting issue.

But, what if the issue is degenerative in nature and is in fact so slowly degenerative that he will be fine until 30 years old at least? In that case, who really cares?

I just dont know if we can simply "garbage can" the guy as a player because a health issue that wasnt an issue just 4 months ago, and has not drastically changed since then, is now an issue.

X-Era
03-25-2008, 08:20 PM
Chad Johnson is a rare specimen, his skill set as a WR is superior to 95% of the other WR's in the league. I get your point though, but consider him the exception, not the norm.

Another WR that plays bigger than he is is Hines Ward.

Chad Johnson in college was no more of a stud than Devin Thomas is.

By "big" WR we meant in stature and then hopefully in play. But size was what we are looking for to add mismatches in leaping, the red zone, etc...

Devin Thomas, at 6' 2" isnt 6' 4" the late 90's early 2000's version of the ideal WR, but he is plenty big "enough" to go up against the typical 6' 0" or less DB's.
In our division, whos taller than 6' at CB?

NYJ- none
NE- only Lewis Sanders is 6' 0" or better
Fins- Michael Lehan, Joey Thomas are the only two better than 6' and neither is anything to be scared of.

That means, at least in our division, 6' 2" is a slight height mismatch.

jpdex12
03-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Kelly's knees are supposedly really bad. I'm wondering how far he will fall....2nd round? 3rd round??!? :shocked:

Yeah, same thing peopel were saying about Thurmanator and he's sitting in the HOF. Don't read into this stuff too much. Draft day will tell the true story. Did Brady Quinn have bad knees too and that's why he fell into the 20's on draft day last year?

Saratoga Slim
03-26-2008, 08:36 AM

Yeah, at this point I think Devin Thomas looks like the best option at WR--11 is most likely too high for him considering he only has one year of major production, but I won't pitch a fit if trading down dowsnt happen and we draft him there. I don't know what it is about Sweed, but for some reason he feels like he'll end up as an Ernest Wilford kind of guy--good, but not great.

colin
03-26-2008, 10:12 AM
i like sweed and kelly, kelly particularly, but if they are banged up then you really can't spend a big pick on them to be a big part of your O.

thomas to me is a like moulds, big but not huge, fast but not super fast, but very very physical and competitive.

a guy like him bodying up on linebackers and safties in order to take slants and outs further with YAC is exactly what we need. add in a TE to catch the pass underneath the WRs and our O should go from absolute garbage, to ok, which is a huuuuuge lift.

we don't need a mega O, we need an O that can grind out on the run, make the odd big play over the top, and most of all score 7s when we get deep in the redzone. with our D coming up and the best special teams in the nfl, we can punt 5 or 6 times in a game and still dominate the other team in a big way. we do need playmakers tho, i think we got them on D, but need to draft them on O

acehole
03-26-2008, 12:11 PM
Edwards can defintly make all the throws, it was lack of Wrs getting open that made it dink and dunk, 4.4 speed and his size makes him the perfect compliment to Evans, and JP was the problem on the short to intermediate routes, JP had no accuracy short balls, and could barely throw a screen

These are things in my opinion that TE excells at
DThomas is a Bill our offense will get that much better

Well I am not going here...with the qb's. Facts have allready been put on the table about all of this. I am glad atleast a Trent supporter is aqknowledging the fact that we were lacking in the WR dept.

It is a start.

acehole
03-26-2008, 12:16 PM
Yeah, same thing peopel were saying about Thurmanator and he's sitting in the HOF. Don't read into this stuff too much. Draft day will tell the true story. Did Brady Quinn have bad knees too and that's why he fell into the 20's on draft day last year?

Bills love damaged goods.....We will need to have a possible groom for Lee in 2009 and he can sit a year.....take a flyer in the 3-4 round if he (Kelly) can be rehabed.

This is possibly a smoke screen to drop his stock....happened with peterson last year.....

did not work

coastal
03-26-2008, 07:31 PM
Devin Thomas is going to be a superstar in this league.

He has a unique skill set in that he has the ability to take it to the house in more than one way. He can go vertical, but more importantly though is his field vision. He played HS football as a running back. His knack for RAC can also have him taking it yard on a simple slant.

This kind of receiver is a match made in heaven for Turk, Trent and the Buffalo Bills.

If we go offense, we take him at 11. You don't trade down to get him either, because if we don't take him... Denver will.

The kid is the real deal.

acehole
03-26-2008, 08:47 PM
Yea I agree...we need weapons on offence in a bad way....dont want to risk it.

Devin Thomas is going to be a superstar in this league.

He has a unique skill set in that he has the ability to take it to the house in more than one way. He can go vertical, but more importantly though is his field vision. He played HS football as a running back. His knack for RAC can also have him taking it yard on a simple slant.

This kind of receiver is a match made in heaven for Turk, Trent and the Buffalo Bills.

If we go offense, we take him at 11. You don't trade down to get him either, because if we don't take him... Denver will.

The kid is the real deal.

Mr. Miyagi
03-27-2008, 03:49 PM
That's the rule of thumb. Don't believe anything anyone says about the draft between Combine and Draft day. Everyone is lying about everything.

Go with what you knew from film, scouting, up to the combine results. After that it's all jockeying.

acehole
03-27-2008, 05:08 PM
That's the rule of thumb. Don't believe anything anyone says about the draft between Combine and Draft day. Everyone is lying about everything.

Go with what you knew from film, scouting, up to the combine results. After that it's all jockeying.

Indeed..I remember they were saying the same about A Peterson last year.

Wait ...it was us!

justasportsfan
03-27-2008, 05:21 PM
I like THomas because he has added value because he can return kicks aside from being a wr.maybe he's a reach at 11 as a wr but with his ability to return kicks, who cares anymore . He would make 2 units on this team better.

coastal
03-27-2008, 05:26 PM
D. Thomas is not a reach at 11.

I really wish people would stop saying that.

acehole
03-27-2008, 05:43 PM
D. Thomas is not a reach at 11.

I really wish people would stop saying that.

We dont know either way.....if he is a reach or a superstar.

He looks the part....plays well in the cold and fills the biggest need on this team IMHO.

He also fits the ball control offense as well as being able to stretch the field.

We didnt get anyone in of note FA.

Lee might walk after this year...to make things worse.

I would not be surprised if we got 2 wr's and one TE in the first 3 rounds.

Team that with Teyo and Courtney Anderson and Reed and Roscoe in the slot...we may had some more pionts on the board. Considering we lost some games by small margins......he could mean the difference between playoffs and well....no playoffs.

Right now he would be my pick if I ran the bills.

coastal
03-27-2008, 06:05 PM
We dont know either way.....if he is a reach or a superstar.

He looks the part....plays well in the cold and fills the biggest need on this team IMHO.

He also fits the ball control offense as well as being able to stretch the field.

We didnt get anyone in of note FA.

Lee might walk after this year...to make things worse.

I would not be surprised if we got 2 wr's and one TE in the first 3 rounds.

Team that with Teyo and Courtney Anderson and Reed and Roscoe in the slot...we may had some more pionts on the board. Considering we lost some games by small margins......he could mean the difference between playoffs and well....no playoffs.

Right now he would be my pick if I ran the bills.I agree.

The only player that would cause me to rethink would be Derrick Harvey.

I don't trust that we have a pash rush with the front 4 we have now and Harvey has the potential to put our group into the elite status.

Realizing the road to the Super Bowl for the next 3-5 years likely goes through New England or Indi, I'm thinking we need to figure out that aspect of the game sooner than later.

Tatonka
03-27-2008, 06:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHbkz0IMIeA

makes me excited. that is for sure.

acehole
03-27-2008, 06:54 PM
I agree with your post as well ...the giants beat the Pats with their d-line,,,,and D Harvey would be nice pick as well. I think that they spent some money on Shobel and are commited to him. I would think they would want to take a wait and see...if the addtions in the middle help the ends battle less double teams and create that rush. We need more then fieldgoals to compete with indy and NE as well....We are so close to having a good team...and last years offense was anemic...and needs an infusion of playmaking weopons for whoever out qb is.... As is now if we get harvey he would be a part time guy and a situational rusher....I think they would think.....pretty high pick for a part timer...

I agree.

The only player that would cause me to rethink would be Derrick Harvey.

I don't trust that we have a pash rush with the front 4 we have now and Harvey has the potential to put our group into the elite status.

Realizing the road to the Super Bowl for the next 3-5 years likely goes through New England or Indi, I'm thinking we need to figure out that aspect of the game sooner than later.

acehole
03-27-2008, 06:56 PM
Wow he looks like a natural wide out...efforless ...dare I say Randy Moss?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHbkz0IMIeA

makes me excited. that is for sure.

coastal
03-27-2008, 07:20 PM
Devin is so smooth.

He reminds me a lot of Andre Reed the way he runs.

b rob
03-27-2008, 09:54 PM
For all the guys out there that say this player won't be picked at #11 I give you D Witner.If the Bills really want a player and don't feel he will still be there at the deal to move down they will take their guy.

I look at it like this, the draft is what it is.A player could end up being a hall of famer out of the 6th round and the 11 pick could be a bust.So why not take the guy you know you want and not who the "draft experts"say you should take here.It is more about making sure the player you have targeted gets on your roster and not someone elses.

Quick question.If these draft guru's were really that good at what they do why aren't they making picks for real teams?Quick answer.It's because they couldn't build a real team.If they could they would not be in the entertainment game.

The only thing these guys are really good at is knowing everyones name and a few stats that someone on the other end of their earpiece is giving them.Sure they are very good at talking and doing the research that it takes to talk about players for 3 months on TV but that is as far as it goes.With as many mock drafts as there are out there it is real easy to figure out who may go where but the only men that matter are the guys that will be making the phone call to these players.The term reach only applies to the the persons opinion that is giving it. <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_986489-->
<!-- THE POST -->

colin
03-28-2008, 10:00 AM
you know, i really think he is like moulds the more i look at it.

a physical guy like him can catch 40 balls for 500 or so yards for us in his rook year yet be a huge huge lift as he drops an LB back, moves the chains, and lets evans get his 85 for 1400.

add in a young TE and we have a much much better O.

imo our first 4 rounds are gonna be

wr
te
cb
c/g/dt/de -- whoever presents the biggest value as a drop.

maybe we go 1st -- wr, 2nd --- DT, 3rd, cb, 4th TE or whatever, but i think those are the guys.

we only trade down if a QB or something falls to us and somebody is just losing their sh1t to get him, like a low 20s 1st (at the latest) 2nd AND 3rd, maybe more.

Tatonka
03-28-2008, 11:27 AM
i really think that we need to go 2 wrs early in this draft, because i think lee is gone after this year.

bocephuz
03-28-2008, 01:33 PM
We all agree that the Bills desperately need a big tough playmaking receiver. But do we all agree that one needs to be taken in the 1st round?

Most receivers ( even the real good ones) take 2 or 3 years to develop. Look at Eric Moulds ( who by the way is a prototype for what we need now). He was taken with the 24th pick in the first round. Here are the stats

YEAR TEAM G REC YDS AVG LNG TD
1996 BUF 16 20 279 14.0 47 2
1997 BUF 16 29 294 10.1 32 0
1998 BUF 16 67 1368 20.4 84 9

Year three was pretty good... years 1 and 2 pretty rough. Let's assume whoever we draft is going to be the next Eric Moulds. Can we afford to wait 3 years until he develops?

I say go with a DE or TE in the first two rounds.. historicallly there are many examples of DE and TE who adjust and contribute in their rookie years. Then we can draft a guy like Jordy Nelson from Kansas State in the third round.

Tatonka
03-28-2008, 03:04 PM
that is why i was so pissed that the bills couldnt spend 2 millon on hackett. he is past that 3 year hump. he is primed to have a great season. And rookies typically dont do well right out of the gates.

the only thing we can do now is pray that we pick a kid who is ready to play.. in my opinion, a rookie has to come close to what dwayne bowe did.

acehole
03-28-2008, 04:40 PM
that is why i was so pissed that the bills couldnt spend 2 millon on hackett. he is past that 3 year hump. he is primed to have a great season. And rookies typically dont do well right out of the gates.

the only thing we can do now is pray that we pick a kid who is ready to play.. in my opinion, a rookie has to come close to what dwayne bowe did.

Prolly cause:

1.Team wants to be younger.

2. Not that Physical.

3.Ralph is Cheap

4.We are going to field goal the opposing team to death.

5. We have one targeted in the draft.

6. Trent Edwards is so good he will throw to himself.

7. He is not under 5-9.

8. We want a good draft position every year.

9. Scott Mayle.

10. We like to set up qbs up to fail every 4 years.