PDA

View Full Version : Why are people so high on Wendling?

PECKERWOOD
03-26-2008, 10:34 AM
This guy to me is a solid ST's project, nothing more. I don't think he has any shot whatsoever at being a starter on defense. I really hope I'm wrong and I'm not trying to hate on the guy but I just think that people have that draft video from last year stuck in their heads. Thoughts?

justasportsfan
03-26-2008, 10:38 AM
potential. He's a physically gifted athlete.

Wally The Barber
03-26-2008, 10:43 AM
You are talking about my favorite player here.

He is a physical player that was projected by many to be a linebacker in the pros
I think fans are going to love this guy this season.

That guy brings it!

PECKERWOOD
03-26-2008, 10:44 AM
You are talking about my favorite player here.

He is a physical player that was projected by many to be a linebacker in the pros
I think fans are going to love this guy this season.

That guy brings it!

I hope you're right but I think he is going to make his bread by "bringin it" on ST's! :up:

justasportsfan
03-26-2008, 10:44 AM
That guy brings it!
on ST so far. If he can't beat out guys like Wilson or Simpson , he's a career st player.

Jan Reimers
03-26-2008, 11:04 AM
He's big, strong, fast, smart and athletic. He is somewhat raw from being moved around some at Wyoming, which is not a bigtime collegiate football program.

I think with a year under his belt, he will make the coaches take a hard look at the safety position, i.e., how to get him on the field more.

dannyek71
03-26-2008, 11:06 AM
coy wire jr

jimbohastle51
03-26-2008, 11:06 AM
not only is he a physically gifted athlete but he was a great saftey in college. he was one of if not the only play maker on the wyoming team. he is not the fastest guy but he goes 110% every play whether special teams or on defense, and this boy can light you up, see some of his hits from his senior year in college. i have no doubt that he will be a special teams player for years (a steve tasker all out type) to come but he is very valuable for us as a safty, maybe this year or next he should be ready to compete for a starting role.

DraftBoy
03-26-2008, 11:09 AM
His smarts are what I like best, he's nowhere near ready yet get back to me next year about that.

bigbub2352
03-26-2008, 11:33 AM
Wendling has all the potential in the world, for a 6th round pick if all he ever turns out to be as good depth and a solid STer then we got our moenys worth, he has the size speed and brains to make plays,
That is why i like him
and his youtube video lol

ParanoidAndroid
03-26-2008, 01:21 PM
coy wire jr

Except faster and better in pass coverage and a better gunner on ST.

madness
03-26-2008, 03:14 PM
He can jump over a real high stick? :idunno:

Oaf
03-26-2008, 11:31 PM
Except faster and better in pass coverage

In what, Madden? The kid hasn't been on the field. Seems like a Coy Wire to me. ST ace and all. I'll bet he blocks a punt this year with those leaping skills. I do think he has the skills to be a starting SS, and him and Whitner at FS would be intriguing..

LifetimeBillsFan
03-27-2008, 02:30 AM
Why are some of us so high on Wendling?

1.) his raw athleticism; 2.) the fact that he was able to be successful as a "gunner" on STs showed that he has more "game speed" than his 40 times coming out of college showed; 3.) he was aggressive and liked to hit in college--all he has to do is learn where to go and how to hit properly on the NFL level; 4.) he's intelligent--which means that he has a chance to learn how to properly use his athleticism, aggressiveness and "game speed" to be successful on the NFL level; 5.) so far he has shown a good work-ethic as a pro.

What Wendling showed last season, I think you will admit, is that, at the very least, he is going to be a solid special teams player. That was expected. And, as has been pointed out, that's all you can really expect from a 6th round draft pick.So,he has already fulfilled those expectations as a rookie.

But, as cited above, he has abilities that indicate that he has the potential to go beyond those expectations.

Because he was moved around and asked to do different things at Wyoming, Wendling wasn't able to concentrate on refining his game on the college level. As a result, he came out of college labeled as an athletic player who would contribute right away on STs, but would need some time to develop into a full-time player on defense. But, he was seen as a player who did have the potential to be more than a special teams player if given a chance to develop that part of his game.

Now, admittedly, no one here really knows where the Bills' coaching staff sees Wendling's development being as a defensive player at this point. But, with the qualities that he has shown that he has, if he wants to play defense, there is no reason that he can't continue to develop and improve as a defensive player to the point where he can challenge for a spot in the lineup, either as a reserve or even, eventually, as a starter.

Where is it written that, because Wendling looks like he can be a STs ace, he can't get to the point where he is good enough to start? Where is it written that, because a player has not cracked the starting lineup or become a star as a rookie, that he can't become a very good starter? Where is it written that, because B.Scott has more experience than Wendling, Wendling, with his athleticism, "game speed", intelligence and aggressiveness, can't beat out Scott as the back-up strong safety? Where is it written that, because Ko Simpson had a nice rookie season, Wendling can't develop to the point where the Bills' coaches are convinced that the defense would be better with Whitner at free safety and Wendling at strong safety than it would be with Simpson at free safety and Whitner at strong safety?

None of these things are etched in stone. Anywhere.

So, let's see what Wendling can do. Let's see if he can make a push to get playing time on defense this season--without Whitner or Scott getting hurt in order for him to do so. If Wendling wants to get playing time on defense, with Whitner and Scott ahead of him on the depth chart at this point, he is going to have to earn whatever playing time he gets. And, if he is able to earn playing time, it can only help to make the Bills a better team.

So, yes, I'm high on Wendling. Because he has the potential to push for playing time on defense--which, if he is able to earn it--will make the Bills secondary better. Which, in turn, is something that I would like to see--so I am hoping that he can do it. And, what's wrong with that!

ParanoidAndroid
03-27-2008, 11:40 AM
In what, Madden? The kid hasn't been on the field. Seems like a Coy Wire to me. ST ace and all. I'll bet he blocks a punt this year with those leaping skills. I do think he has the skills to be a starting SS, and him and Whitner at FS would be intriguing..

Well, he has been on the field. It's not as if he came from nowhere. I watched him some in college and during pre-season. He's faster by far, plays faster, and can cover which Wire was a liability at. I'm not saying he's going to be a starter, but he has more of what it takes than Wire did.

I don't play Madden. Never have and probably never will, thak you very much.

TigerJ
03-27-2008, 11:59 AM
He's big, strong, fast, smart and athletic. He is somewhat raw from being moved around some at Wyoming, which is not a bigtime collegiate football program.

I think with a year under his belt, he will make the coaches take a hard look at the safety position, i.e., how to get him on the field more.

This pretty much nails it. It is always possible that he doesn't really have the instincts and feel for the pro game, but when a guy has all the other positives you could ever want in a player, you can always hope for the intangibles to be there too. We'll see soon enough.

colin
03-27-2008, 12:09 PM
he is a total project.

that said, so was peters.

there might be something to thinking wendling might be a big pat williams type of project in perhaps moving whitner to FS.

if wendling could tap into his athletic potential, having he and whitner at SS and FS would give us an extra 2 linebackers on running plays and an extra 2 cbs (really 1 cb for whitner and a saftey for wendling) on passing downs.

acehole
03-27-2008, 12:25 PM
He can jump over a real high stick? :idunno:

LOL

DrGraves
03-27-2008, 12:51 PM
because bills fans have no one else to get excited about...

B-DON
03-27-2008, 05:30 PM
Cuz he is white

B-DON
03-27-2008, 05:31 PM
and can jump real high. Personally i dont unserstand it either, but oh well