PDA

View Full Version : Don't expect any compensatories

Michael82
03-28-2008, 12:46 PM
<TABLE borderColor=#09347b cellPadding=10 width="95%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=mediumrow style="BORDER-RIGHT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #548bb5 1px solid" colSpan=2><TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #002d78 1px solid" width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>March 27, 2008
</TD><TD align=right>Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 2:00 PM ET | Link (http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=3214)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>DON'T EXPECT COMPENSATORY PICKS FOR BILLS: I know there's a widespread theory in Bills nation that Buffalo stands a good chance of getting a 4th or 5th round pick when compensatory picks are awarded early next week at the league's annual meetings. After further review, with some assistance from Jim Overdorf, I can pretty much confirm that the Bills will not be getting anything this year. The reason why is they did not satisfy the first criteria for being eligible for a compensatory picks, which is to have a net loss of free agents (lose more than you signed in 2007).
Buffalo lost London Fletcher, Nate Clements, Mike Gandy and Andre Davis in free agency.
They signed Derrick Dockery, Langston Walker, Jason Whittle and Josh Scobey.
With no net loss of free agents they are not eligible for a compensatory pick. I admit, I too forgot about Scobey, but he's the fourth guy that eliminates the hope for a compensatory pick. Jason Webster did not enter into the equation because he was cut by Atlanta and not a free agent whose contract expired.
There is a very, very, very, very remote chance that the Bills could get a seventh round pick at the end of the draft if there is less than the 255 pick allotment for the draft after all the regular compensatory picks are handed out. They then might look at contract differential between players signed and lost and possibly look at other factors to see if a team that did not experience a net loss is somewhat deserving, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
--- </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Why the hell would they count a bum like Josh Scobey to stop us from getting a comp pick? :mad: :(

DraftBoy
03-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Im sorry but the guys whose perdiction he's referring to has been like 95% accurate with these things, Im not willing to dismiss the notion quite so easily.

Jan Reimers
03-28-2008, 12:53 PM
The first criterion is the number lost vs. the number gained.

So for every bum like Gandy lost, you have to count a bum like Scobey gained.

Michael82
03-28-2008, 12:58 PM
The first criterion is the number lost vs. the number gained.

So for every bum like Gandy lost, you have to count a bum like Scobey gained.
Gandy wasn't a bum. He actually signed a decent contract too.

Jan Reimers
03-28-2008, 01:08 PM
Gandy wasn't a bum. He actually signed a decent contract too.
I know, I was really kidding. I was one of the Zoners who liked him. And I think we lost more quality than we gained. But if it's strictly a numbers game, we're screwed.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Those pics should be done away with.

Dr. Lecter
03-28-2008, 01:15 PM
If true that really sucks.

DraftBoy
03-28-2008, 01:27 PM
Those pics should be done away with.

Why?

Michael82
03-28-2008, 01:38 PM
If true that really sucks.
yeah it does. :mad:

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-28-2008, 01:39 PM
Why?

I don't have time right now to get into it, but the short of it is the best teams always seem to get comp picks. A team that makes it to the playoffs and other teams sign their players are rewarded by getting more picks? If you make the playoffs the year before they shouldn't get any reward for it. The Bills lose defensive players and sign offensive players so they don't get any picks? A team doesn't spend money so they get rewarded? Sorry, IMO, they are stupid.

Goobylal
03-28-2008, 03:29 PM
It's not simply a matter of losing X number of FA's and signing Y number of FA's. It's about the quality, perceived or real, of FA's lost versus gained. That's why the Bills have a chance to get comp picks this year, i.e. because Whittle and Scobey were worthless, while all the guys they let go were worth something.

yordad
03-28-2008, 03:45 PM
One would think we would get even more picks by signing Josh Scobey. Wasn't that like subtraction by addition?

Michael82
03-29-2008, 12:57 AM
One would think we would get even more picks by signing Josh Scobey. Wasn't that like subtraction by addition?
:rofl: Good point.

Scumbag College
03-29-2008, 08:09 AM
I liked what Whittle and Scobey did for the Bills. I think Whittle played 3 plays and went onto IR, Scobey had an awesome training camp and got released. Sounds fair.