PDA

View Full Version : Mock Draft I'm doing at.......

clumping platelets
03-29-2008, 11:02 PM
ThePhins.com

http://forums.thephins.com/showthread.php?t=3703

no trades.......draft when your pick comes up. If Gholston is there at #11, do the Bills draft him or does it present an opportunity to trade down? No WR I liked in rd 2, so I went with Davis. I'll look at WR and secondary in rd 3

1,11 DE Vernon Gholston (Ohio St)
2,41 TE Fred Davis (USC)
3,71 FB Owen Schmidt (West Virginia)

TigerJ
03-29-2008, 11:12 PM
Well, if no trades are allowed, then his availability would not represent an opportunity to trade down. I suppose you have to take him and try to meet needs later. Neither Draftboy, nor I are terribly enamored with Fred Davis, but he may turn out to be pretty productive and should be better than anything we've got now.

clumping platelets
03-29-2008, 11:16 PM
I was talkin' aboot the real draft

bigbub2352
03-29-2008, 11:22 PM
Devin thomas
Martellus Bennett

Yasgur's Farm
03-30-2008, 07:12 AM
Devin thomas
Martellus BennettBINGO!

Yasgur's Farm
03-30-2008, 11:30 AM
Only thing sweeter than Thomas and Bennett is a trade down and Thomas and Bennett.

DraftBoy
03-30-2008, 11:33 AM
Yea I dont like the Gholston or Davis picks because I dont think it really addresses any major holes. Davis is essentially a slow WR at this point and a liability if ever asked to come in an block he's not a true #1 TE in the NFL. Id stay as far away from him as possible.

mysticsoto
03-30-2008, 11:39 AM
ThePhins.com

http://forums.thephins.com/showthread.php?t=3703

no trades.......draft when your pick comes up. If Gholston is there at #11, do the Bills draft him or does it present an opportunity to trade down? No WR I liked in rd 2, so I went with Davis. I'll look at WR and secondary in rd 3

1,11 DE Vernon Gholston
2,41 TE Fred Davis

I'd be okay with the Ghoston pick only b'cse I don't think Kelsay will amt to much even post surgery. The Davis one is a poor selection however.

Yasgur's Farm
03-30-2008, 12:09 PM
I agree with your concerns for DE... Before the Bryant Johnson deal fell through I had Phillip Merling at #11. But without a #2 I had to switch it up to WR... In fact, I feel we need 2 WR's out of this draft.

Coupled with our other needs I feel the only way DE is gonna be addressed this season is by trade, or trade down for more picks.

ParanoidAndroid
03-30-2008, 12:57 PM
To pass on Gholston, no matter how bad we need a WR, would be foolish IMHO. We could definately use an upgrade there and he could end up being a better NFL end than Long. I have serious doubts that he falls to us.

LtFinFan66
03-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Only reason Gholston makes it to you guys is if there are 10 idiots drafting ahead of you. Oh, and for the 100th time....LEAVE MY BUCKEYES ALONE:mad:

DraftBoy
03-30-2008, 03:22 PM
Only reason Gholston makes it to you guys is if there are 10 idiots drafting ahead of you. Oh, and for the 100th time....LEAVE MY BUCKEYES ALONE:mad:

There is a lot of concern now about Gholston's hips and if he can become either an NFL DE or LB. Or if he will be a man without a posistion. He didnt not look good at his pro day and still hasnt really made a commitment to either posistion like fellow freak DE Derrick Harvey has. If he gets by the Jets at 6, he very well may be there at 11.

LtFinFan66
03-30-2008, 03:42 PM
No way he gets past both the Jets and Pats

DraftBoy
03-30-2008, 04:27 PM
No way he gets past both the Jets and Pats

I agree with you in my opinion but there is some talk of his draft stock taking a definite shot recently.

PECKERWOOD
03-30-2008, 04:31 PM
lol @ Gholston being available when we pick at #11, I pretty much lost all interest after I saw that.

YardRat
03-30-2008, 05:25 PM

The Jets and Dolphins both pick before us. 2 down, 8 to go.

ParanoidAndroid
04-01-2008, 12:48 PM
The Jets and Dolphins both pick before us. 2 down, 8 to go.

:chuckle:

Mahdi
04-02-2008, 10:52 AM
Yea I dont like the Gholston or Davis picks because I dont think it really addresses any major holes. Davis is essentially a slow WR at this point and a liability if ever asked to come in an block he's not a true #1 TE in the NFL. Id stay as far away from him as possible.
Most receiving TEs are essentially slow WRs. You bring up that point about Davis often. Shockey and Gates are also slow WRs.

LtFinFan66
04-02-2008, 11:36 AM
The Jets and Dolphins both pick before us. 2 down, 8 to go.we cleared out the idiots

DraftBoy
04-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Most receiving TEs are essentially slow WRs. You bring up that point about Davis often. Shockey and Gates are also slow WRs.

Gates runs in the low 4.4 and Shockey was timed I think at 4.5 at the combine, thats not slow for a WR at all. However 4.7 is extremely slow.

clumping platelets
04-04-2008, 04:59 PM
In the 3rd rd, I grabbed FB Owen Schmidt

I will likely go WR with one of the 2 4th rd picks

The Spaz
04-05-2008, 04:21 PM
Too early for Schmitt. I would have taken him with one of or 4th's.

clumping platelets
04-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Maybe. maybe not :rolleyes:

DraftBoy
04-06-2008, 09:18 AM
So far you've take three guys based mostly on hype who imo do little to really improve any of the major problem areas on this team, we still have little depth at LB, need a starting CB or two, need another S, two WR's, another TE, and a RB, and QB. Hope you can turn this thing around.

clumping platelets
04-06-2008, 09:29 AM
I disagree

pass rushing DE, weapon at TE, all around ability at FB

The problem with this mock is that there is no trading. I would have moved down in rd 1 and then likely taken WR or CB, but at #11, I drafted value. Gholston is worth the #11 overall, none of the WRs are, you do not reach for need

DraftBoy
04-06-2008, 09:43 AM
I disagree

The problem with this mock is that there is no trading. I would have moved down in rd 1 and then likely taken WR or CB, but at #11, I drafted value. Gholston is worth the #11 overall, none of the WRs are, you do not reach for need

I disagree whole heartidly you took a pass rushing DE which isnt our issue at DE its run stopping. The pass rush wasnt there last year because the OG's could chip our DE on the inside move.

Fred Davis is going to be an NFL level bust with his slow speed. He can't block to save his life and he's nowhere near the most athletic TE. I dont see the love for a guy who blossomed based on the talent around him.

Schmitt is a bad pick and the day an all around FB become the logic for a good pick is the day I quit following the draft. Even the most ardent Schmitt supporters dont want to take him before Round 4, how in the world was he even close to the BPA or Davis for that matter given thats the logic you said you're going with??

clumping platelets
04-06-2008, 09:49 AM
I seem to remember the acquistion of guys named Stroud and S. Johnson.......our defense really needs a speedy pass rushing DE. That would help the defense create pressure on the QB without blitzing. More pressure helps the pass defense.

If you look at this mock, I would have gone in different direction if other players were not selected in the 2nd or 3rd.

DraftBoy
04-06-2008, 09:52 AM
I seem to remember the acquistion of guys named Stroud and S. Johnson.......our defense really needs a speedy pass rushing DE. That would help the defense create pressure on the QB without blitzing. More pressure helps the pass defense.

If you look at this mock, I would have gone in different direction if other players were not selected in the 2nd or 3rd.

Oh you mean one guy who hasnt played a full season in 2 years and a guy who was a UDFA and never been above the #3 DT spot? Are we drafting based on hope and dreams now? That still doesnt solve the fact that we allowed more YPC to the outside last year then we did to the inside. The DE's failed miserably at containment last year and Gholston who has questionable hips to begin with is not a run stuffer. He is a hell of pass rusher both Harvey and Merling are better all around DE prospects.

mysticsoto
04-07-2008, 10:50 AM
I disagree

All around ability at FB? Then you should have taken Peyton Hillis. And even then, it was still too early. And you still don't have a WR that has to play essentially on every down as our #2...and you are waiting til the 4th to grab one???? I question how you've given priority to the above over a WR. The DE is perhaps the only "okay" pick so far...

The team above will likely have the same scoring problems we had last year!!! The defense will be improved, but b'cse the offense can do nothing, they will tire and lose the game in the 4th quarter every time!!!

bflojohn
04-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Enough of the nagging questions on Fred Davis, Anquan Boldin ran a 4.75, so by your standards some one in Arizona should convert him to TE. What is his field speed? I've watched him play, and he simply gets open. Production comes in all sizes and builds in the NFL, and selling him short is pure nonsense.

DraftBoy
04-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Enough of the nagging questions on Fred Davis, Anquan Boldin ran a 4.75, so by your standards some one in Arizona should convert him to TE. What is his field speed? I've watched him play, and he simply gets open. Production comes in all sizes and builds in the NFL, and selling him short is pure nonsense.

There was a lot of talk about moving Boldin to TE in his draft year. Arizona thought about it too.

mysticsoto
04-07-2008, 12:31 PM

It's not just his speed that is in question. It's his size. At 6'2", he is a very small TE and LBs won't have a problem dealing with someone that they can smoke speedwise...he may have done well in college, but in the NFL, he's likely in for a rude awakening. He will need to go to a pass happy type of offense where there are many passers to account for...and where he won't have to block much.