PDA

View Full Version : The NFL finally listened to me

Coach Sal
03-30-2008, 10:59 PM
I have said for years that NFL teams winning the coin toss and not being able to defer their choice to the 2nd half is totally stupid. Some teams would love to have their defense on the field first and the way it is now are "punished" by winning the toss. Without the ability to defer, they (basically) have to choose offense first, because if they choose to kick, the opponent wil then chose to receive in the 2nd half and get the ball to start BOTH halves.

In college, high school, and even Pop Warner, you have four choices if you win the toss:
A) Receive;
B) Kick;
C) Defend a goal;
D) Give the other team the option of any of the first three and defer your option to the second half, where you will then have the same choices.

If you choose C, the other team gets to kick or receive.

Currently and the way it's always been in the NFL, you can only:
A) Kick
B) Receive
C) Choose a goal.
No matter what you choose, the other team gets their choice to start the 2nd half. So if you want to start on defense, you have to hope to lose the coin toss.

Finally, the NFL is examining this during its rules meetings this week:

Other rules changes up for vote next week include:
--Giving teams that win the coin toss the chance to defer until the second half.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7954682/NFL-owners-consider-postseason-rule-changes

TigerJ
03-31-2008, 07:37 AM
Did you actually tell them their options were stupid?

hydro
03-31-2008, 07:40 AM
Something Madden games have had for a while now. About time!

Coach Sal
03-31-2008, 07:48 AM
Did you actually tell them their options were stupid?

I wrote it on some message boards.

So be careful. Big Brother is always watching/reading.

:D

Coach Sal
03-31-2008, 07:50 AM
Something Madden games have had for a while now. About time!

Really? NFL games? That's interesting considering they always try to simulate the game as close to the real league as possible.

I don't play video games so I didn't know that.

hydro
03-31-2008, 07:53 AM
Really? NFL games? That's interesting considering they always try to simulate the game as close to the real league as possible.

I don't play video games so I didn't know that.

Yup, it has been in the game from the beginning. I remember getting into an argument with someone about the rule and thats when I found out Madden did it contrary to NFL rules.

Pinkerton Security
03-31-2008, 11:03 AM
though in madden you dont get a choice in the 2nd half, its just whoever didnt receive the kick in the first half, which is really the only logical choice anyways.

RockStar36
03-31-2008, 11:37 AM
I ALWAYS defer in the video games. I seriously had no idea that it wasn't the same way in the real games. That is ridiculous.

Michael82
04-02-2008, 07:24 PM
This rule was passed! Sweet! :bf1: