• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PECKERWOOD
    Defies all logic
    • Oct 2006

Would you be mad if..

Buffalo took Harvey with the #11th pick overall? And maybe took WR, CB, TE and then FB in the rounds after, in that order? I think there is a good chance that McKelvin and DRC are both gone by the time we pick and no WR is really worth the 11th pick imo. My ideal draft looks something like this now:

Rd1.) Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida
    Rd2.) Reggie Smith, CB, Oklahoma
    Rd3.) Rucker, TE, Mizzou
    Rd4a.) Jerome Simpson, WR, UCF
    Rd4b.) Ali Highsmith, LB, LSU
    Rd5.) Sullivan, C, ND
    Rd6.) Best FB available.. Maybe Schmitt or Hillis?
    Rd7.) Project pick -- maybe DB would have a good pick for here.

EDIT: Added 4th round pick we were awarded. ( Ali Highsmith, LB, LSU.. )
    Last edited by PECKERWOOD; 03-31-2008, 02:29 PM.
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Re: Would you be mad if..

Not mad at all, a little confused by the lack of direction but not mad.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• bflojohn
      • Aug 2005

Darrick Harvey may well be "Best Player Available" at pick #11, so , NO why would anybody be upset with a pass rushing DE? (26 sacks?) It's a deep draft exactly where the Bills have needs, so the second and third rounders are solid selections for WR and TE.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
        Defies all logic
        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by DraftBoy
        Not mad at all, a little confused by the lack of direction but not mad.
        What do you mean by lack of direction? Please explain.

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BuffaloFever
          What do you mean by lack of direction? Please explain.
          Well we have holes at CB, LB depth, DL depth, WR, RG, QB, and OL depth and we fill a depth posistion before a starting one? We take a guy who is better suited for S in the NFL to play CB for us? Rucker I like but waiting till Round 4 for a WR sounds dangerous. I just dont see how this improves us, other then showing we wasted a ton of money at DE.
          COMING SOON...

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
            Defies all logic
            • Oct 2006

Well we have holes at CB, LB depth, DL depth, WR, RG, QB, and OL depth and we fill a depth posistion before a starting one? We take a guy who is better suited for S in the NFL to play CB for us? Rucker I like but waiting till Round 4 for a WR sounds dangerous. I just dont see how this improves us, other then showing we wasted a ton of money at DE.
            Harvey is not only the BPA but he fills a need. Kelsay and Schobel straight up, just did not get it done last year. Schobel lead the team with 6 sacks which is just disgusting. Harvey provides a solution to that problem.

Reggie Smith is adept at playing both CB and S, he would most likely start opposite to McGee and would probably be our #1 CB in 09. My 1st instinct was to go with Manningham here because of our glaring need at WR, but I think Smith would be too good of value to pass up here. Also, if Simpson has trouble coming back from his injury, you could plug Smith in at FS immediately and put Greer back out at CB with McGee.

Rucker would be an instant starter on offense and would immediately upgrade our passing game, would compliment Royal very well.

Simpson is a guy that would immediately come in and fight for the #2 job, he would also add size to our WR unit. Let me also add that Buffalo WILL franchise Evans next year if we can't get a deal done, you can take that to the bank. Plus, next year's WR FA class is much better than this year's.

Schmitt and Hillis would both instantly be starters if we drafted either.

I look at 5 of the 6 picks that I listed as having GREAT chances to start for us THIS season. The only exception would be the pickup of Sullivan, but either way he would be nice depth behind Fowler incase he starts to struggle. Many people don't like the idea of drafting Harvey because we have big money locked up in Kelsay and Schobel, but at some point you have to cut your losses. I think Harvey would beat out Kelsay for the starting spot by mid-way through the season.

Comment

• mysticsoto
              Too sober for this...
              • Apr 2004

BF, you wait too long for a WR that's going to see a good amt of playing time. We are not talking about a #3 or #4. This is the #2...the one that will be running and hopefully drawing attention away from Evans. I can buy the Harvey pick, but then it all crumbles. Even Rucker...you never get a TE before a #2 WR! And Reggie Smith is more than likely going to play S rather than CB and we have all the safeties we need on the roster already with Whitner, Ko, Wendling, Wilson and forgot the other guys name that was retained...I can accept your DE in the 1st, but we should have a WR in the 2nd and a TE in the 3rd then...

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BuffaloFever
                Harvey is not only the BPA but he fills a need. Kelsay and Schobel straight up, just did not get it done last year. Schobel lead the team with 6 sacks which is just disgusting. Harvey provides a solution to that problem.

Reggie Smith is adept at playing both CB and S, he would most likely start opposite to McGee and would probably be our #1 CB in 09. My 1st instinct was to go with Manningham here because of our glaring need at WR, but I think Smith would be too good of value to pass up here. Also, if Simpson has trouble coming back from his injury, you could plug Smith in at FS immediately and put Greer back out at CB with McGee.

Rucker would be an instant starter on offense and would immediately upgrade our passing game, would compliment Royal very well.

Simpson is a guy that would immediately come in and fight for the #2 job, he would also add size to our WR unit. Let me also add that Buffalo WILL franchise Evans next year if we can't get a deal done, you can take that to the bank. Plus, next year's WR FA class is much better than this year's.

Schmitt and Hillis would both instantly be starters if we drafted either.

I look at 5 of the 6 picks that I listed as having GREAT chances to start for us THIS season. The only exception would be the pickup of Sullivan, but either way he would be nice depth behind Fowler incase he starts to struggle. Many people don't like the idea of drafting Harvey because we have big money locked up in Kelsay and Schobel, but at some point you have to cut your losses. I think Harvey would beat out Kelsay for the starting spot by mid-way through the season.
                Harvey is just more of the same that we already have a pass rushing DE who is a liability v. the run. Merling is a much better selection.
                COMING SOON...

Comment

• eyedog
                  • Jul 2002

Considering our current d-ends can't get to the qb, Harvey is an upgrade rushing the passer. Which is what this team really needs if they ever want to beat New England in the next decade.
                  But as a default pick I would take Merling after him.
                  I just don't want to see wr or cb at #11. They can get those positions in the 2nd and 3rd with out much drop-off. There will not be a pass rusher like Harvey sitting there in those rounds.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                    My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                    • Apr 2004

That part wouldn't upset me, but to follow it with a corner instead of someone like Caldwell or Doucet would.

Comment

• Bmax
                      • Aug 2003

Simpson is zooming up boards .. I got a feeling he could go in rd 3.. Heck wouldn't be shocked if he went in rd 2....41.5 VERTICAL ...WOW...

BMAX

Comment

• Mahdi
                        • Mar 2004

Harvey is just more of the same that we already have a pass rushing DE who is a liability v. the run. Merling is a much better selection.
                        I dont agree. The problem is that Kelsay gets a ton of tackles and cant rush the passer. We couldnt stop the run because of our interior and our LBs last year not because of Kelsay. Adding Stroud, Johnson, Mitchell and Poz as well as McCargo starting will solidify the run defense enough that taking the best pass rusher regardless of his ability to stop the run is more important. Our scheme doesnt demand that our DEs are big time run defenders anyways. Freeney and Mathis arent great against the run but as a unit their D gets it done. Harvey is a perfect player for our scheme.

Comment

• Mahdi
                          • Mar 2004

If the Bills take Harvey with their first pick I can very well see them trading back into the first with Dallas again to take a WR.

I think there is a strong possibility Harvey is drafted and starts by game 4. Kelsay and Denney would be great rotational guys.

Having 3 well paid DEs for our system is not unrealistic. The whole idea with cover 2 is to invest more money in the DL and a lot less at CB.

Comment

• Night Train
                            Retired - On Several Levels
                            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Mahdi
                            If the Bills take Harvey with their first pick I can very well see them trading back into the first with Dallas again to take a WR.

I think there is a strong possibility Harvey is drafted and starts by game 4. Kelsay and Denney would be great rotational guys.

Having 3 well paid DEs for our system is not unrealistic. The whole idea with cover 2 is to invest more money in the DL and a lot less at CB.
                            You're not paying Kelsay that much $$ to stand on the sidelines 50-75% of the time. Harvey is a pass rusher who doesn't hold up well against the running game. We already have that issue.

Merling can rotate in at the DT 3 Tech and either DE position. He's known for shedding blocks and stuffing the run, in addition to being a fair pass rusher. That kind of power & versatility is what makes him attractive.

That's the point DB is trying to make and I agree. He's far more NFL ready than Harvey.
                            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• TigerJ
                              • Jul 2002

Merling is a more well rounded DE than Harvey, however, it's kind of tough to spend that high a draft pick on a player that may not be able to work out before the draft.
                              I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍