So I'm trying to figure out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlackMetalNinja
    I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
    • May 2005

So I'm trying to figure out...

Op, you named 8 guys we should keep... you've done nothing but ***** about how awful we were this year, though we technically are still in the playoff race until the last week (yes, I'm fully aware they aren't going to make it). So please explain to me how keeping 8 guys and dumping off everybody else we can is going to make this team any better next year? I'd fully expect us to be sitting full out in the basement if they did that.

Exactly who do you think they're going to bring in to play with those 8 guys that's going to turn everything around over night? Or would you just be settling for mediocrity as the favorite saying around here goes, for a year or two until everybody happily clicked?

This is the 4th youngest team in the NHL at 26.5 years old, most of these guys have not grown accustomed to what is expected of them at this point. Obviously some help is needed, particularly in veteran leadership. What possible good does it do to blow up such a young team (give me the "deep playoff run" BS all you want, these guys were 3rd and 4th liners on playoff teams where any extra scoring form them was a bonus, not a necessity) and "start fresh". We all knew it would be a step backwards this year, the hope was it'd be a step backwards for a year and then progress right back towards the top...

Of course, you'd know nothing of hope because everything is "please me right this second" with you. Your plan easily sets this team back 3-4 years at a minimum... you're going to tell me you wouldn't be *****ing up a storm over that period of time when they weren't contending?

I don't expect a real answer, just you telling me I'm wrong and a blind optimist, because that's the only rhetoric you know. Reply or not, it doesn't really matter as I'm not going to be sucked into another pointless argument with you... but I sure am curious to see what this master plan really entails.
  • JD
    Sabres Zone
    • Sep 2003

Re: So I'm trying to figure out...

I think he might have been overexaggerating just a bit.

I would trade off/part ways with: Max, Kalinin, Numminen, Ryan, Thibault, and Peters.

Everyone else serves a purpose. We're off sync. If we could score, Miller wouldnt hold up. If we couldnt score, Miller would be great. It was strange year.

We need a solid backup to give Miller a rest.
    We need to sign Miller and Poms long term.
    “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
      Roways rooking ahread!
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by JD SabreFan
      I think he might have been overexaggerating just a bit.

I would trade off/part ways with: Max, Kalinin, Numminen, Ryan, Thibault, and Peters.

Everyone else serves a purpose. We're off sync. If we could score, Miller wouldnt hold up. If we couldnt score, Miller would be great. It was strange year.

We need a solid backup to give Miller a rest.
      We need to sign Miller and Poms long term.
      Well thank god they saves ~$5 M just for those events.

Comment

• RockStar36
        Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
        • Sep 2004

Oh boy...this should be good

D & S Sports

Comment

• LtFinFan66
          • Mar 2005

Comment

• hydro
            • Oct 2005

How many times will he bring up that we haven't won anything in Buffalo?

BERNIAC!

Comment

• Michael82
              • Jul 2002

I would trade/part ways with the following players.....

Max Afinogenov, Tim Connolly, Dmitri Kalinin, Teppo Numminen, Jocelyn Thibault, Mike Ryan, either Jaroslav Spacek or Toni Lydman, Andrew Peters.

I would sign a backup goalie, lock Jason Pominville up to a long term deal, try to get Ryan Miller signed long term, and then sign 2 tough, gritty veteran defensemen to help fix our defense and groom the younger guys.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                Zero for Zero!
                • Mar 2003

I am really torn on Timmy.

If healthy, he is a deadly force. Problem is, he has not been healthy for two years. I am more inclined to keep him, but understand dumping his ass.
                Originally posted by mysticsoto
                Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Michael82
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  I am really torn on Timmy.

If healthy, he is a deadly force. Problem is, he has not been healthy for two years. I am more inclined to keep him, but understand dumping his ass.
                  thats the key. He has sooo much potential and could be such a force for the Sabres, especially on the power play. But he's more injury prone than Rob Johnson and it seems to affect his play many times too.

Comment

• RockStar36
                    • Sep 2004

I'd say keep Timmy. He has one year left. If he doesn't work next year, let him walk.

D & S Sports

Comment

• hydro
                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by RockStar36
                      I'd say keep Timmy. He has one year left. If he doesn't work next year, let him walk.
                      Or trade him at the deadline and get something for him.
                      BERNIAC!

Comment

• RockStar36
                        • Sep 2004

By next years trade deadline they will know if he doesn't work out. Chances are, by that point, nobody is going to want to take him.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Michael82
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by RockStar36
                          By next years trade deadline they will know if he doesn't work out. Chances are, by that point, nobody is going to want to take him.
                          Trade him in the offseason while he still has value.

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
                            I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
                            • May 2005

Originally posted by Mikey82
                            I would trade/part ways with the following players.....

Max Afinogenov, Tim Connolly, Dmitri Kalinin, Teppo Numminen, Jocelyn Thibault, Mike Ryan, either Jaroslav Spacek or Toni Lydman, Andrew Peters.

I would sign a backup goalie, lock Jason Pominville up to a long term deal, try to get Ryan Miller signed long term, and then sign 2 tough, gritty veteran defensemen to help fix our defense and groom the younger guys.
                            So you want to get EVEN younger??? I hope you don't expect us to be a playoff team either... By your math, you're getting rid of 8 guys and bringing back 3. That means 5 more guys up from Rochester.

Comment

• Michael82
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BlackMetalNinja
                              So you want to get EVEN younger??? I hope you don't expect us to be a playoff team either... By your math, you're getting rid of 8 guys and bringing back 3. That means 5 more guys up from Rochester.
                              no, I'm signing FAs to fill some holes.

Comment

Working...
                              X