PDA

View Full Version : Anyone think the Bills are hiding something?

Buffatexas
08-25-2002, 06:55 AM
I have to bring this up as a last ditch attempt to convince myself that the Bills will be leaps and bounds ahead of last season's squad.
Let's face it, this IS preseason and teams do "hold back" on their game plans so other teams won't figure them out too early. Are we seeing a vanilla, Tony Dungy style offense with a defense that may be"experimenting" with taking bigger gambles just to see if they can pull it off?
My theory on this is that if we look at most of the preseason games so far, I think that there is no way the Chargers throttle the Rams, the Redskins demolish the Bucs, and the list goes on.
Anyone share my thinking on this one?

WG
08-25-2002, 07:18 AM
Yeah, I'm with ya to an extent. But the one thing that you cannot ignore is that we've made Curtis Keaton, Brandon Bennett, and Michael Bennett look like Walter Peyton, Emmitt, and Thurman.

The fact of the matter still is that we can't stop the run w/ our first unit. Many will point to yesterday's game as evidence that we can, but if you look at the game, the Colts barely ran in the first half. When they did, our 2nd/3rd team D was on the field.

Bottom line is that we did nothing to elevate our game from last year as far as the DL goes. I am in the camp that says that in order to be good, you first need two good lines. We have one, the OL. Our DL will rank among the worst in the league this season.

If you cannot stop the run, then you're gonna have to pour extra resources, from other aspects of defense, into assisting in that regard.

As to our OL, I still think we shouldn't have signed Teague and should have signed another OL-man who's a more proven starter. Teague only started last year. So while we've beefed up our OL some, we could have been wiser in doing it. Naole would have been great here.

During our best years we never won in the PS. But then we weren't in the shoes that we're in now either. We had two great lines and our secondary was suspect. Now it's the other way around.

Buffatexas
08-25-2002, 07:23 AM
Good comparison on those second string running backs. Let me ask you this, how do you see the signings of Ahanotu/Price? A detriment, a "band-aid" or a serious attempt at making our d-line more "formidable"

WG
08-25-2002, 07:29 AM
We could have signed Naeole, McKinney, and several others for the money that Teague got or less.

Buffatexas
08-25-2002, 07:32 AM
I would love to see Naeole in a Bills uni. We need to watch the cuts. In Tampa, the Bucs have serious depth on OL and I would not be surprised to see a Lomas Brown or a Jerry Wunsch not make the cut this season

SABURZFAN
08-25-2002, 07:34 AM
i agree wys.isn't lomas brown 40 years old?

WG
08-25-2002, 07:41 AM
we won't see naeole here anytime soon. He just singed elsewhere.

What amazes me is that we didn't even talk to him or bring him in, and if I'm not mistaken, he signed for less than Teague.