• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Miyagi
    Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Let's do the math

The question: If you decide that picking a WR at #11 is too big of a reach, and decide to wait until the second round, will we be left with anybody decent?

Let's look at WRs with potential first round grades:

Malcolm Kelly
    Limas Sweed
    DeSean Jackson
    James Hardy
    Devin Thomas
    Mario Manningham

And going down the list, here are the teams who has WR needs:

11. Buffalo - assume we wait until second round
    14. Chicago - needs OL more than anything else
    17. Minnesota - needs DE/OL before WR
    19. Philadelphia - potentially 1st WR taken
    20. Tampa Bay - potentially 2nd WR taken
    22. Dallas - potentially 3rd WR taken here or at 28
    24. Tennessee - potentially 4th WR taken
    28. Dallas - already got one at 22
    29 San Francisco - potentially 5th WR taken

34. Atlanta - these guys have a lot of needs, OL/DL included
    35. Kansas City - MIGHT get a WR here but more likely a CB or OL
    37. Atlanta - if they pass on a WR at 34 they would take one here
    39. San Francisco - already got one at 29

Thats all 6 of the WRs with 1st round grades gone by #35. So if we want to wait until 2nd round, we will either have to get lucky or trade up ahead of at the latest Atlanta at 37 (with either KC at 35 or Jets at 36, or better yet, back into the late first round.

That's all there is to it.
  • TacklingDummy
    Unreachable Douche
    • Jul 2002

Re: Let's do the math

I doubt highly if the top 4 WR go before pick 24 that Atl, KC, SF are going to want the 5th,6th, 7th best WR on the board. I think at that point they would address other needs.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
      Defies all logic
      • Oct 2006

San Fran brought in some WR talent this offseason which makes WR not as big of a need as some may think.. I'll go with another Bay area team though, the San Diego Chargers may be looking to add some talent at wideout, as they don't have alot of depth at that position. I think that you are right, waiting for a WR until the 2nd round is risky business, thus the most logical move the Bills could make would be to trade down in the 1st and scoop up a guy like Devin Thomas.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
        Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

The Chargers already have Vincent Jackson and Chris Chambers as undisputed 1 and 2, plus Antonio Gates. I can't imagine them spending the 1st rounder on another receiver.

If we do wait and get lucky inl the second round though, I would be happy with any one of those 6 guys, except maybe DeSean Jackson since he's only 5'9".

Comment

• gr8slayer
          • Feb 2005

I would consider it highly unlikely that Jerry will take a WR in round one.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
            Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Even with 2 picks?

Comment

• methos4ever
              • Apr 2004

Don't forget the Broncos may think the same thing Wide Receiver wise, since Marshall may not be ready and they'll need a number 2/1a in case he isn't.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by JediRalphWilson
                Actually, that is exactly what the buzz has been...if they keep both picks. I have Sirius and they have been suggesting that WR would be one of the two picks for the Cowboys.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                  Roways rooking ahread!
                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by JediRalphWilson

I agree that the boys are not looking at taking a WR in the 1st round.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                    Defies all logic
                    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
                    The Chargers already have Vincent Jackson and Chris Chambers as undisputed 1 and 2, plus Antonio Gates. I can't imagine them spending the 1st rounder on another receiver.

If we do wait and get lucky inl the second round though, I would be happy with any one of those 6 guys, except maybe DeSean Jackson since he's only 5'9".
                    Gates is the MAN but Jackson and Chambers don't scare me at all.. Chambers is an average #1 at best and Jackson is an average #2 at best.. Chambers only had 66 receptions last year while Jackson only brought in 41 receptions. An elite WR could have close to the same production those 2 had combined, ALONE!

Comment

• evol4276
                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by BuffaloFever
                      Gates is the MAN but Jackson and Chambers don't scare me at all.. Chambers is an average #1 at best and Jackson is an average #2 at best.. Chambers only had 66 receptions last year while Jackson only brought in 41 receptions. An elite WR could have close to the same production those 2 had combined, ALONE!
                      chambers didnt play the whole year for the chargers. they picked him up midseason and played very well once he went to a team that knew how to actually utilize him.

also jackson did basically what they wanted him to do last year, however could have used more catches sure. but its kinda hard getting that many receptions through 3-4 recieving options, through gates, tomlinson, chambers, and jackson. i dont think they'd be using a first for a wr at all

Comment

• jpdex12
                        • Jan 2005

Get used to it people...our first pick will be WR! Regardless if you think that we need an immediate impact player, We need a big WR like there's no tomorrow and we will get one in round one.
                        Where else would you rather be than right here right now?

Comment

• Michael82
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jpdex12
                          Get used to it people...our first pick will be WR! Regardless if you think that we need an immediate impact player, We need a big WR like there's no tomorrow and we will get one in round one.
                          EXACTLY! The Bills have already proven several times that they dont give a **** about reaches, if that player is a need and they like him, they will draft them.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                            • May 2003

We will take Kelly or Thomas in the 1st round. We can't hope that a WR with the size and skills we need will be available in the 2nd.
                            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Atlanta is not taking a WR in the first 3 rounds of this draft they are solid there.
                              COMING SOON...
                              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X