PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible that we pick up a Vet WR after June 1st?

Tatonka
04-02-2008, 07:36 AM
just wondering if anyone knows of any other veteran WRs that could be cut after the draft.. maybe the bills have their eye on someone else that we are not aware of.

they clearly stated that their offseason plan was to pick up a big veteran wr in free agency.. we have tons of cap room.

are there any possibilities? I still cant believe we havent even sniffed Darrell Jackson by the way. the guy is a multiple 1000 yard receiver and has been a number one for 3 years.

DraftBoy
04-02-2008, 07:43 AM
I think its a very good shot and then Josh Reed's job may be in trouble

Ickybaluky
04-02-2008, 08:34 AM
are there any possibilities? I still cant believe we havent even sniffed Darrell Jackson by the way. the guy is a multiple 1000 yard receiver and has been a number one for 3 years.

Teams are wary of him because of his history of knee trouble, which will probably mean he has to settle for a deal shorter on guarantees and longer on incentives. The entire NFL is in wait-and-see mode until after the draft, so it is doubtful he signs anywhere prior to that. After the draft, he will probably garner some interest from teams still needing a WR.

I agree he would be a good fit for the Bills. He may never re-capture his old form, but he finished last season pretty strong and seems a good fit for what the Bills want to do. The Bills are talking about using the FB more and using short drops in a controlled passing game. Given Jackson's history in the WCO running those routes he would seem to fit. I think that is part of the reason SF let him go, as he isn't as good a fit for the offense Mike Martz favors, which has deeper drops and more vertical routes. I would expect SEA, MIN, PHI, TB and WAS might show interest as well.

bigbub2352
04-02-2008, 09:11 AM
I think between draftin hopefully 2 WRs and a few UDFAs and having Felton Huggins, Justin Jenkins, Scott Mayle as our only real depth or prospects on the roster, i think we should look long and hard at the June 1st list, and Darrell Jackson for that matter, and DB i agree with you say goodbye to Josh Reed,

We need weapons and upgrades we were ranked 30th on O that means we sucked to everyone who likes hangin on to dead weight

THe more the better, add as many as u can

Ickybaluky
04-02-2008, 09:55 AM
I don't think post-June 1 cuts are what they used to be. Teams can designate up to 2 players as post-June 1 cuts and release them right away, as long as they carry them on their cap until June (which they would anyway if they didn't cut them). Thus, the reason for holding onto vets into June, because of the cap effect, has been eliminated.

If a team wants to cut a player, they cut them, unless they hold out hope to get some trade value in return (like Dwayne Robertson), or the player is still recovering from injury (like Shawn Alexander) and they don't want to have to negotiate an injury settlement that might cost them money. That is why there wasn't the big flood of post-June 1 vet cuts last year, and aren't likely to be this year.

There might be guys who shake free during training camp or at the start of the season. Usually there are young players who show teams they are ready for a larger role, and teams will either release a veteran to make room or ask them to take a pay cut and accept a smaller role. That is still a pretty common thing in the NFL.