PDA

View Full Version : GW clarifies LeBeau's role on the team...

lordofgun
04-14-2003, 08:51 AM
"His evaluation of how we can improve is going to be invaluable to me and to Jerry Gray. Jerry will be our defensive coordinator and Dick is our assistant head coach. Dick will be aiding me in all of the game planning, he'll be a strong voice of reason and a strong voice that we'll listen to on game day in that respect. Jerry will still make the calls on the field." - Coach Gregg Williams explaining the role of Dick LeBeau, who continues to insist he's not a threat to Williams' job.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/report/BUF/6314809

Pride
04-14-2003, 08:57 AM
ummm.... yeah...

Talk about too many chiefs...

Dozerdog
04-14-2003, 09:04 AM
Basically, His left hand will be upGray's back operating him like a ventrilliquist dummy, and his right hand will be doing the same with Williams.

I bet he could get a gig in vegas with the double act

DraftBoy
04-14-2003, 08:14 PM
sounds good to me, maybe somebody can knock some sense into GW's decision making

Buffarama
04-14-2003, 09:23 PM
Sounds to me like Rainman got a brain. I wonder where Lebeau will be on the sideline. Maybe he can wear the headset, and GW can ride his tricycle behind the bench.

Stewie
04-14-2003, 09:31 PM
I think its going to work just fine....

Typ0
04-14-2003, 10:08 PM
I bet he will be in the booth. And I hope he has a whole supply of boots to firmly implant in Gilbrides ass.

SoCalBillsFan
04-15-2003, 01:38 AM
its not going to get worse, it can only get better...

ublinkwescore
04-15-2003, 07:43 AM
I'm with SoCalBillsFan.

I don't see why you guys are so down on this team - our D really pulled together towards the end of last season - with a lot of less then mediocre personell. Our Offense won't skip a beat, and our special teams will be fine.

try being a little more optimistic.

Buffarama
04-15-2003, 08:16 AM
I'm not down on them, I just have sick dry sense of humor. :rocket:

BillsNYC
04-15-2003, 08:28 AM
he's going to be a consultant....simple as that....just like in the business world...

eyedog
04-15-2003, 10:13 AM
Yeah he's a consultant until one of the two continues to screw up. Then he is the next d-coord. or head coach.

TedMock
04-15-2003, 10:33 AM
It's funny that GW and Gray helped coach the number one defense in the NFL in 2000 and now people think they're morons. Understand that they were given crap to work with and by the end of the 2nd season the defense was starting to play well. Not too bad. I know GW has made some bad calls and everybody harps on the 4th and 2 last year but didn't he get a hell of a lot better than in year one? I thought so. The guy's a very good defensive coach and he's proven it. His head coaching skills needed work but I think he's improved. The team also never quit on him which is the most important thing a head coach can bring. I'm not saying sign him to a long term deal but for god's sake give him a fair shake. He now has talent on both sides of the ball, they young guys have 1 or 2 more years under their belt and if the team contiues to be resiliant they'll win a few that they blew last year. If he the team gives up, turns on him or underachieves then by all means re-evaluate and make the move if necessary. I'd completely agree with that. I also think at his age, LeBeau wants to be a 'consultant'. He's older, wiser but probably has less energy than he used to. I think it'll be a nice marriage.

eyedog
04-15-2003, 12:24 PM
TedMock, all of that post is nice and most of it I'd agree with, but imo TD bringing in LeBeau is for one reason and that goes something like this;
" Ok boys, I have given you premium fa defensive players, you will also get another good draft, and last year I gave you a top qb. This is my good friend Dick LeBeau. He will be coming on board this year. And fellas lets not repeat the same mistakes as last year and also it may be a good idea to get off to a quick start this season. Oh yeah, did you guys meet Dick. "
I think TD will have a very short lease this year. He has proven he is not afraid to make changes.

casdhf
04-15-2003, 12:41 PM
LaBeau may be a good coach, but he isn't a good decision maker. That's pretty obvious from the QB situation in CIN last season.

eyedog
04-15-2003, 12:53 PM
And what qb decision in Cincy are you referring to.

Buffarama
04-15-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by casdhf
LaBeau may be a good coach, but he isn't a good decision maker. That's pretty obvious from the QB situation in CIN last season.

At least he didn't bring in Newkirk or Kinch:baghead:

TedMock
04-15-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by eyedog
TedMock, all of that post is nice and most of it I'd agree with, but imo TD bringing in LeBeau is for one reason and that goes something like this;
" Ok boys, I have given you premium fa defensive players, you will also get another good draft, and last year I gave you a top qb. This is my good friend Dick LeBeau. He will be coming on board this year. And fellas lets not repeat the same mistakes as last year and also it may be a good idea to get off to a quick start this season. Oh yeah, did you guys meet Dick. "
I think TD will have a very short lease this year. He has proven he is not afraid to make changes.

I totally agree with that aspect although I don't think GW gets let go during the season. That's the worst thing GM's can do. I also wonder if LeBeau waiting so long to make a decision was him waiting to see if a head job would be offered or if he was contemplating retirement. I've read both. If he is in fact a "consultant", what a great move. If he's waiting for GW to screw up so he can have the job then there's already a distraction and we're screwed anyway. Given the talent on this team now I would not oppose firing GW upon completion of a mediocre year. This is his year. New and more talented players are on the team and the young guys now have NFL experience. The players seem to like and respect him and if LeBeau can give not just him but the whole staff some pointers we're in great shape. Now, what's mediocre? I don't know. 8-8? It's a tough call now because we have to see if the injury bug hits and if our division really is that tough this year. It seems to be but look at last season. We all thought facing the NFC norris was going to be a division full of contenders. A few injuries and free agent losses later that division wasn't what we thought it was. Even Green Bay was less than impressive. Hell, 9-7 won the East last season. It might again this season.

ArcticWildMan
04-15-2003, 01:30 PM
Anything less than a wildcard berth and GW and Jerry Gray are pounding the pavement. Hell, if we aren't 5-3 by midseason, GW may be gone or at least demoted.

eyedog
04-15-2003, 01:36 PM
I hope we never have to cross the Lebeau to take over for GW or JG bridge. If we do then things are not going as we would like, but I do believe if we come to that bridge than Lebeau is the guy.
As for what constitutes a successfull season, I think making the play-offs is a must for GW. Barring severe injury problems I believe that this team should make the play-offs.

TedMock
04-15-2003, 02:13 PM
Agreed. I also think the playoffs are a minimum requirement. Wild Card is ok if they win that game. That's a tougher call. I guess it would depend on injury status during wild card week. I mean I like AVP but going into the playoffs with him at the healm or with Bannon and Edwards as our 2 starting DT's would not bode well for us. My number as of right now is a minimum of 9-7 record AND playoffs. If 9-7 doesn't make the playoffs figure out a way to win 10 or you're outta here. Again, these numbers are assuming that our division beats eachother up again.

Throne Logic
04-15-2003, 04:10 PM
This team, with the existing talent, should be capable of going deep into the playoffs. Therefore, without at least a great showing in the first playoff game (I'd accept loosing to another great team who happens to hit their stride and we loose in a close game).

Are there weakneses? Absolutely. Pick any other team in the league and explain how their weaknesses are not the same as Buffalo's.

This team has about as much talent between the existing roster and the upcoming draft, as it will likely ever see for any one season. It's the nature of the CAP plus FA.

I expect a good solid playoff showing this year. Next year, I expect the SB.

BuffaloRanger
04-15-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by TedMock
It's funny that GW and Gray helped coach the number one defense in the NFL in 2000 and now people think they're morons. Understand that they were given crap to work with and by the end of the 2nd season the defense was starting to play well. Not too bad. I know GW has made some bad calls and everybody harps on the 4th and 2 last year but didn't he get a hell of a lot better than in year one? I thought so. The guy's a very good defensive coach and he's proven it. His head coaching skills needed work but I think he's improved. The team also never quit on him which is the most important thing a head coach can bring. I'm not saying sign him to a long term deal but for god's sake give him a fair shake. He now has talent on both sides of the ball, they young guys have 1 or 2 more years under their belt and if the team contiues to be resiliant they'll win a few that they blew last year. If he the team gives up, turns on him or underachieves then by all means re-evaluate and make the move if necessary. I'd completely agree with that. I also think at his age, LeBeau wants to be a 'consultant'. He's older, wiser but probably has less energy than he used to. I think it'll be a nice marriage.

GWs and JGs defense in Nashville was mostly because of the great players he had, not because of his great coaching. He came here, made the mistake of running the 4-6 DEF, which he didn't have the stars to make work, 2 years in a row.

Face it. If the Bills would have won that playoff game against the Titans, GWs stock wouldn't have been so high, and he never would have been selected to coach the Bills.

I don't hate him, but the only thing he's got going for him is that the players like him.

TigerJ
04-15-2003, 08:53 PM
I choose to be an optimist. I think Dick Lebeau has gotten the head coaching bug out of his system with his stint in Cincinnati. I think he came to Buffalo because he likes the situation. I do agree that TD expects more out of the Bills this year than what the team did last year. Making the playoffs is the minimum expectation. Obviously the Bills brass (TD, GW and others) believe this can work. I'll believe it too until it's proven otherwise.