PDA

View Full Version : Sabres have as many comebacks as blown leads.

Dr. Lecter
04-02-2008, 08:28 AM
I know this has been asked before, according to WGR (OK, not always the best source) the Sabres have blown seven 2 goal leads this year and have came back from seven 2 goal deficits this year.

BlackMetalNinja
04-02-2008, 08:37 AM
Shh... focus on the negative dammit!

hydro
04-02-2008, 08:44 AM
FIRE SALE!

Philagape
04-02-2008, 08:46 AM
Cup or crap.

LtFinFan66
04-02-2008, 08:57 AM
Shh... focus on the negative dammit!Ok, you still are an outside shot at the playoffs.....and we are talking Wild Thing Ricky Vaughn outside

"Just a bit outside"

Dr. Lecter
04-02-2008, 09:09 AM
Cup or crap.

Fine.

And if they don't win it? We still need to move forward as we can't change the past.

So, on the subject of moving forward, I still maintain it is not all doom and gloom.

I think we all knew this was a transition year. It took awhile (too long) to get the ball rolling. But once they did there should be optimism for the future. Unfortantelty due to managment errors and the fact they built a great team that had a two year run, some of the players are now gone.

But I really like some of the replacements.

hydro
04-02-2008, 09:13 AM
So because we didn't win the cup this year we need to clean house? Looks like there are going to be 28 other teams cleaning house too :ill:

Philagape
04-02-2008, 09:25 AM
I don't think we need to clean house. It was already cleaned.

But I refuse to take any joy or enthusiasm or pride in anything this team does short of where it was before. I'm not lowering the bar. This team was an elite legit contender whose time had NOT run out, therefore I demand the same standards and building upon them, and anything short of that is failure.

OpIv37
04-02-2008, 05:23 PM
coming back from 2 goal deficits 7 times is no excuse for blowing two goal leads 7 times.

BlackMetalNinja
04-02-2008, 05:24 PM
coming back from 2 goal deficits 7 times is no excuse for blowing two goal leads 7 times.

One is bad, one doesn't matter because it doesn't fit your argument... perfectly logical as always :up:

OpIv37
04-02-2008, 05:25 PM
So because we didn't win the cup this year we need to clean house? Looks like there are going to be 28 other teams cleaning house too :ill:

We need to clean house because this FO screwed up and we lost the foundation of our formerly good team. What's left simply isn't good enough. We need to clean house because this team PLUS Briere and Drury couldn't win the cup and we're not going to find talent equal to or better than them. Right now we're not even close and the fastest way to get there is to clean house and start over. Keeping these guys around just guarantees more mediocrity.

OpIv37
04-02-2008, 05:27 PM
One is bad, one doesn't matter because it doesn't fit your argument... perfectly logical as always :up:

there is never an excuse for blowing 2 goal leads and there is certainly no excuse for blowing 7 of them. The 7 comebacks still weren't enough to get us into the playoffs- NOT GOOD ENOUGH. I don't know what's so hard for you to understand about that.

Dr. Lecter
04-02-2008, 05:54 PM
I did not say it did.

The question was asked so I posted the answer.

LABillsFan
04-02-2008, 09:10 PM
We need to clean house because this FO screwed up and we lost the foundation of our formerly good team. What's left simply isn't good enough. We need to clean house because this team PLUS Briere and Drury couldn't win the cup and we're not going to find talent equal to or better than them. Right now we're not even close and the fastest way to get there is to clean house and start over. Keeping these guys around just guarantees more mediocrity.

There is a lot of truth to this, but there are still who will get better with time and with better talent signed (cough cough, I said better talent signed). This team fell short with one of the best teams the Sabres had ever assembled. Cleaning house has begun, I still think guys Like Max, Kotalik, Kalenin, Connelly, Yes Connelly, Peters, have to go, Mair and Gaustad are solid 4th liners, but I think there is better to be had. But the FO has the final say, I'm just a fan who would love to see the Sabres hoist the cup as I'm sure Op is.

OpIv37
04-02-2008, 09:13 PM
There is a lot of truth to this, but there are still who will get better with time and with better talent signed (cough cough, I said better talent signed). This team fell short with one of the best teams the Sabres had ever assembled. Cleaning house has begun, I still think guys Like Max, Kotalik, Kalenin, Connelly, Yes Connelly, Peters, have to go, Mair and Gaustad are solid 4th liners, but I think there is better to be had. But the FO has the final say, I'm just a fan who would love to see the Sabres hoist the cup as I'm sure Op is.

I agree on Conolly- the guy's got so much talent but it's useless if he's not on the ice. I could go either way on Peters- he's not a good hockey player but he's good at what he does. Mair's hockey has improved but not to the point where we need to keep him- I wouldn't complain if he was moved. I disagree on Gaustad- I think he has size and is one of the few players on this team with "grit" (for lack of a better term). He definitely shouldn't be on the power play but we need him for a check line or maybe to add some size to a line with skill players.

Dr. Lecter
04-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Peters is the most worthless player in the NHL.

Dump his ass.

OpIv37
04-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Peters is the most worthless player in the NHL.

Dump his ass.

he's a goon. Every team needs a goon- if we dump him, we just need to find another goon.

See, Peters does what he gets paid to do- granted, that's not much- but it's all he's supposed to do.

The rest of the guys I'm complaining about can't do what they're supposed to do.

Dr. Lecter
04-02-2008, 09:44 PM
he's a goon. Every team needs a goon- if we dump him, we just need to find another goon.

See, Peters does what he gets paid to do- granted, that's not much- but it's all he's supposed to do.

The rest of the guys I'm complaining about can't do what they're supposed to do.

I would accept that if he was able to win a fight. He can't even do that. He does not even throw punches.

And the time of the Goon is long gone. Players like Mair and Goose fill that role now - competent, but not great players, that can fight when necessary.

OpIv37
04-02-2008, 09:46 PM
I would accept that if he was able to win a fight. He can't even do that. He does not even throw punches.

And the time of the Goon is long gone. Players like Mair and Goose fill that role now - competent, but not great players, that can fight when necessary.

except that those guys never fight. Mair on occasion, but I can't remember the last time Goose threw down.

Dr. Lecter
04-02-2008, 09:48 PM
He has been in two or three this year. Fightindg is, in general, down. Peters (last I knew) had the lowest MPG in the entire NHL. If he had any skills and could play 6 minutes a game, he would be fine.

Beside, my mother could kick his ass.

I can't beleive that now you want to keep a guy I want to ****can.

(Note: Mike can attest I have been on Peters all year and am not picking an argument with you.)

BlackMetalNinja
04-02-2008, 11:01 PM
I'll agree wholeheartedly about Peters... Completely worthless, the few minutes he's on the ice per game, he's a detriment. Yes, his only job is to fight, and he got his ass kicked all season long. All he does is grab the jersey of the other guy, turn his head and push... not punch... push with his arm. Mair is 10x the fighter he is, but we can't afford for him to be an enforcer.

LABillsFan
04-03-2008, 10:22 PM
In the game today, as long as you have guys like Kaleta and the rest you mentioned, is there really a reason to fight? If Bernier starts throwing his size around those players will more than make up for the loss of Peters.

OpIv37
04-03-2008, 10:25 PM
In the game today, as long as you have guys like Kaleta and the rest you mentioned, is there really a reason to fight? If Bernier starts throwing his size around those players will more than make up for the loss of Peters.

Yes, there is. For example, when Upshall took out Tallinder with that cheap shot, no one did anything. So what happened? In the next game, Avery went after Paetsch and injured him. We need to send a message to other teams: take a cheap shot, and someone bigger than you will knock your ****ing teeth out.

That's one of the reasons I like Gaustad so much. When Ovechkin hit Briere from behind two years ago, Gaustad dropped the gloves and went right for his ****ing head. He didn't even give it a second thought- I was there- I saw it in person.

There are times when you need to stand up to players, and there are times when you need to rally the team and/or the crowd.