PDA

View Full Version : Kipers fiqured it out.....

eyedog
04-02-2008, 04:17 PM
he has the Bills taking D. Harvey at #11 in his latest mock draft.

gr8slayer
04-02-2008, 04:21 PM
I could live with that.

Speed, upper body power, production, size.

Needs some work vs. the run and leg power though.

venis2k1
04-02-2008, 04:37 PM
we could do a whole lot worse than adding a kid like Harvey.

Mitchy moo
04-02-2008, 04:58 PM
It will not hurt our D, it will help shore it up.

acehole
04-02-2008, 05:40 PM

We need a pass rush as the pats were defeated with just that in the bowl.

We have rookie qb's everywhere else in our division whom I would like rattled...

Hard to say if Stroud and whats his name on the inside will free up the high motor white guys to achieve any of that....

at the very least if he lasts that long we have suiters not to many picks away for a trade down...still pick up a tall fast guy wr type...

The Bills seldom draft first round roll players like harvey would be...but certianly makes the Bills trading Scobel to washington for their second round pick rumors have some legs.

(Pssst rumor just started.)

X-Era
04-02-2008, 05:44 PM
we could do a whole lot worse than adding a kid like Harvey.

He would probably be 4th on my list of players that are liable to be there and that we should take, but Im not that picky.

FlyingDutchman
04-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Needs some work vs. the run and leg power though.

I dunno about that:

Draft Scout Snapshot: 2007: Started all thirteen games at left defensive end, helping the Gators lead the league and rank tenth nationally in run defense (103.31 ypg)…Recorded 49 tackles (31 solos), as he led the team and ranked tied for fifth in the SEC with 8.5 sacks for minus 63 yards…Paced the defense and placed fifth in the conference with 17 stops for losses of 89 yards, the tenth-best season total in school history…Registered three quarterback pressures and caused one fumble…Also deflected five passes…On 47 running plays directed into his area, the opposition was held to minus 28 yards (-0.6 avg), as he did not allow a rushing first down until the Capital One Bowl (gave up three vs. Michigan)…Made ten third-down tackles and one more on fourth-down activity…In addition to his 17 stops for losses, he stopped opposing ball carriers at the line of scrimmage for no gain on six other rushing attempts…Collected three of his tackles on goal-line stands…More than held his own vs. the offensive tackles (the main blocker that faced Harvey each week averaged out to 311 pounds). 14 GP; 5 GS; 35 TT, 13 TFL, 11 SK, 8 QBH, 1 FF; Stepping in for '07 draft pick Ray McDonald. 2nd team All-SEC in '06. 9 GP; 0 GS; 7 TT, 1 TFL, 1 SK, 1 PBU in '05. Redshirted in '04.<!--QuoteEnd-->

TacklingDummy
04-02-2008, 05:56 PM

If the Bills don't pick Thomas or Sweed, I'd be ok with Harvey or Merling.

FlyingDutchman
04-02-2008, 05:56 PM
I think we need help with pass rush as well and theres no doubt Harvey is a good player, but is the 3rd DE on the board who had 8.5 sacks really the answer?

TacklingDummy
04-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Also on ESPN site
By Todd McShay
Scouts Inc.
(Archive)
11. Buffalo Bills -- Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma
Record: 7-9 | Needs: WR, TE, CB, DE, FS, OT, OG
Previous mock selection: Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy
This might be a bit of a reach for Kelly, but I am hearing the Bills will take him this high as long as he checks out physically during his on-campus workout April 9. Kelly is the type of big receiver the Bills need to add to their roster as a complement to Lee Evans. He is unusually fluid for a bigger wideout, and he might have the strongest hands of any player in the 2008 draft. However, if the team is not convinced of Kelly's long-term durability, it likely will use this selection on a cornerback, such as Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/insider/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&page=mcshaymock0401&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2fdraft08%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dmcshay_todd%26page%3dmcshaymock0401

Confused
04-02-2008, 05:59 PM
need I remind you all AGAIN, THAT KIPER IS A GODDAMMED ******? **** KIPER.

Patti120
04-02-2008, 06:01 PM
Chris Brown on path to the draft says that we will stick to our board and not reach for a wr. He thinks we grab a CB.

Bmax
04-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Besides DRC and Mckelvin there is no CB worth the 11th pick. They both could be gone by 11.. Pats , Ravens and Saints looking at CB....

Bmax

FlyingDutchman
04-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Harvey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYujEYkSrF4

Night Train
04-02-2008, 06:21 PM
I only care what Modrak/Jauron think.

Who cares what Kiper thinks ? He hasn't a clue how the Bills final board stacks up.

Don't believe the hype.

Bone
04-02-2008, 06:25 PM
My concern is with Harvey is does he really make an impact for our football team? I honestly haven't heard much about this guy even during the college football season. Is this guy going to make a huge impact and literally dominate his side of the ball?

I say we wait a year and see how the to white boys do with Stroud in the middle:bandwagon.

Just wait for Malcolm Kelly's Pro Day..

Confused
04-02-2008, 06:29 PM
alltogether now **** KIPERS!!!!!!

ParanoidAndroid
04-02-2008, 06:38 PM
need I remind you all AGAIN, THAT KIPER IS A ******** ******? **** KIPER.

TOS, dude.

Confused
04-02-2008, 06:44 PM
the site seems to do it for me. I am clever enough to sidestep the filters if i wanted. sorry to offend you with my asterisks. asterisk.....is your asterisk if you drop the soap in a prison shower? i think so

eyedog
04-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Harvey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYujEYkSrF4

I'll take whomever that #49 is playing the other d-end for Florida also. In that video he's all over the qb too.

PECKERWOOD
04-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Funny thing is, without Kipers or McShay alot of you guys wouldn't have a clue about these draft prospects. I seriously doubt that any of you guys did anywhere near the amount of HW these guys did, even our own celebrated DraftBoy and I don't mean that as an insult but it's reality.

Mitchy moo
04-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Funny thing is, without Kipers or McShay alot of you guys wouldn't have a clue about these draft prospects. I seriously doubt that any of you guys did anywhere near the amount of HW these guys did, even our own celebrated DraftBoy and I don't mean that as an insult but it's reality.

I have a whole thread dedicated to drafting Harvey.

gr8slayer
04-02-2008, 08:23 PM
I don't know about that, DB and I do a lot of research and film watching....

DrGraves
04-02-2008, 08:57 PM
we better trade up and get a wr too then.

HHURRICANE
04-02-2008, 09:30 PM

Makes the most sense!!!

Mitchy moo
04-02-2008, 09:34 PM
I have a whole thread dedicated to drafting Harvey.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=149135&highlight=harvey

ParanoidAndroid
04-02-2008, 11:01 PM
the site seems to do it for me. I am clever enough to sidestep the filters if i wanted. sorry to offend you with my asterisks. asterisk.....is your asterisk if you drop the soap in a prison shower? i think so

mkay....

acehole
04-03-2008, 07:13 AM
Stat dont mater here just feelings....and piose.

I dunno about that:

Draft Scout Snapshot: 2007: Started all thirteen games at left defensive end, helping the Gators lead the league and rank tenth nationally in run defense (103.31 ypg)…Recorded 49 tackles (31 solos), as he led the team and ranked tied for fifth in the SEC with 8.5 sacks for minus 63 yards…Paced the defense and placed fifth in the conference with 17 stops for losses of 89 yards, the tenth-best season total in school history…Registered three quarterback pressures and caused one fumble…Also deflected five passes…On 47 running plays directed into his area, the opposition was held to minus 28 yards (-0.6 avg), as he did not allow a rushing first down until the Capital One Bowl (gave up three vs. Michigan)…Made ten third-down tackles and one more on fourth-down activity…In addition to his 17 stops for losses, he stopped opposing ball carriers at the line of scrimmage for no gain on six other rushing attempts…Collected three of his tackles on goal-line stands…More than held his own vs. the offensive tackles (the main blocker that faced Harvey each week averaged out to 311 pounds). 14 GP; 5 GS; 35 TT, 13 TFL, 11 SK, 8 QBH, 1 FF; Stepping in for '07 draft pick Ray McDonald. 2nd team All-SEC in '06. 9 GP; 0 GS; 7 TT, 1 TFL, 1 SK, 1 PBU in '05. Redshirted in '04.<!--QuoteEnd-->

Jan Reimers
04-03-2008, 07:18 AM
I know players like Harvey and DRC and the other defensive guys being mentioned as first round picks are potentially good players. They better be.

Because if we wait until the 2nd round to grab the 5th or 6th best WR, and then the 3rd round for a picked over TE, we will have to win a lot of 3-0 and 6-3 games.

With Trent being a totally unproven QB, I think it is imperative that we give him the best receiving weapons available. If we don't, it will be another non-playoff season, no matter how good our D is.

FlyingDutchman
04-03-2008, 08:49 AM
wow skoob, you actually quoted yourself. calling attention to yourself just hit a high

THATHURMANATOR
04-03-2008, 08:51 AM
I don't think the Bills can go wrong at 11. They will get a player who will no doubt help one of the needs of the team. They only way we could really make a bad pick would be to draft a RB or O tackle.

Mitchy moo
04-03-2008, 09:03 AM
wow skoob, you actually quoted yourself. calling attention to yourself just hit a high
LOL.

eyedog
04-03-2008, 09:04 AM
I don't think the Bills can go wrong at 11. They will get a player who will no doubt help one of the needs of the team. They only way we could really make a bad pick would be to draft a RB or O tackle.

...or the player is overrated and sucks{mike williams}, or has injury problems.

They have to get a player and can't afford a mistake.

Jan Reimers
04-03-2008, 09:40 AM
I think, like many others, that we will get a very good player at 11. But exactly who that player is will be of critical importance.

We used free agency to acquire Stroud, Mitchell, James and S. Johnson - a starting DT and LB, a nickel corner and a rotational DT/DE at the very least. We have Poz and Ko coming off injury. We have a number of defensive players entering their crucial 3rd years, including Whitner, McCargo, K. Williams, Simpson and yes, Youboty. DiGiorgio and Ellison will be moved to backup roles, where they belong. Wendling is potentially a strong player.

We have almost nothing comparable on offense, which consists of a pretty good O line, a budding Pro Bowl running back, and little else. Trent is untested, we have one quality WR, and no one at TE that can really make a difference in the passing game (unless we're banking on C. Anderson and T. Johnson).

The draft is a craps-shoot anyway, even if you have the number 1 pick, let alone 11.

The logical conclusion? Draft the best WR and TE on the board in the first 2 rounds, and a WR in the third, if a good one is left. Wait until the 4th round - where we now have 2 picks - to address the defense.

We're not going anywhere until we fix our offense.

eyedog
04-03-2008, 09:45 AM
They could very well go this way Jan R.

I really don't have a clue where they will go with the pick and just about nothing would surprise me.

justasportsfan
04-03-2008, 09:52 AM
We do need a pass rush but from up the middle. We need people to collapse the pocket and flush the qb out for our high motor DE's to run after them.

With that, I doubt we grab Harvey. The O needs immediate attention more.

Bill Cody
04-03-2008, 09:53 AM
The logical conclusion? Draft the best WR and TE on the board in the first 2 rounds, and a WR in the third, if a good one is left. Wait until the 4th round - where we now have 2 picks - to address the defense.

Reaching for need is how teams that suck stay sucky.

justasportsfan
04-03-2008, 10:04 AM
tell that to the Colts who reached for Freeney.

ddaryl
04-03-2008, 10:08 AM
I can not fathom a scenario in which the Bills go D in the 1st rd...

We simply cannot afford to not get some playmakers in here. Our D will be so dog tired by the 4th quarter of games, and our O will be anemic like last year, and we will lose games.

now if everyone here is willing to wait until 2009 or more likely 2010 for a legitimate playoff run then lets draft the BPA

we need to trade down from #11 then trade back up into the 1st and grab a couple of high quality offensive players IMHO...

Jan Reimers
04-03-2008, 10:13 AM
And never filling their obvious needs is how the worst teams stay at the very bottom of the heap.

BTW, who the Hell says that Harvey or Merling or DRC or McKelvin are locks, but Thomas and Kelly are such reaches? I've looked at a lot of draft guides, and there is no real consensus on these guys.

justasportsfan
04-03-2008, 10:17 AM
In what could be Dicks last year, he needs players from the draft that could make immediate impacts and there is no unit in this team that is in dire need of one than the O. Trent is useless if he doesn't get help.

A DE will take a couple of years to develop. I doubt a draft pick will even push either Schobel or Kelsay in their rookie year and Dick doesn't have the time or luxury to find out how they will turn out in a couple of years if we don't make playoffs.

IMO , if we had Stroud/Spencer and Mitchell last year, we most likely wouldn't have lost the cowboys and Denver games to fg's. If we had another weapon in the passing game (TE or wr) to go with these players ,I think we would've made playoffs.

eyedog
04-03-2008, 10:25 AM
I guarantee you Harvey could walk onto the Bills defense tomorrow and get more sacks for the season then either Kelsay or Denney.

justasportsfan
04-03-2008, 10:29 AM
I guarantee you Harvey could walk onto the Bills defense tomorrow and get more sacks for the season then either Kelsay or Denney.our FO may not think so especially after giving our DE's huge salaries.

the only way that happens is if the DE's in this years draft are better than Marrio Williams.

We'll see if they agree with you on draft day.

eyedog
04-03-2008, 10:32 AM
They probably won't agree with me on draft day.

They didn't agree with me when they drafted the safety at #8 or Mike Williams over McKinnie either.

Jan Reimers
04-03-2008, 10:41 AM
I guarantee you Harvey could walk onto the Bills defense tomorrow and get more sacks for the season then either Kelsay or Denney.
Then again, Thomas, Kelly or Sweed could get more catches, yards and TDs than Reed or Parrish.

And we have at least helped Kelsay and Denney with better players at DT, so they may be more effective this year. We have done nothing comparable at WR.

justasportsfan
04-03-2008, 10:47 AM
They probably won't agree with me on draft day.

They didn't agree with me when they drafted the safety at #8 or Mike Williams over McKinnie either.
you mean you got every pick right?

Mitchy moo
04-03-2008, 11:06 AM
I would just like the Bills to get solid on D.

ddaryl
04-03-2008, 11:28 AM
I would just like the Bills to get solid on D.

that has been accomplished IMO

Outside of the injury bug from last year... DT was the weakest link on the team, now its a strength. It will free up our DE's and our LB's and it will force opposing Offenses to run less and pass more, and QB's will have less time to thorw so our DB's don't have to run around in circles for 1/2 hours while the pash rush gets there.

NOW... as mentioned a few times if we do not address the O side of the ball we can expect a lot of 3 and outs, piss poor red zone execution and lots of FG's instead of TD's. our D will be dog tired in the 4th quarter, and our O will have not scored enough points to counter our dog ass tired D.

I would love to upgrade our DE position, but that would be a luxury considerng how much we invested in our DE's already and the FA's we added to D this offseason.

trade back... pick the best WR on the board use the extra picks to get back into the 1st grab the best TE on the board then from there we grab BPA's.

Honestly I could see the Bills grabbing 2 WR's early by trading away next years #1 to get back into the 1st this year and then franchising Evans and getting their 1st back next year. Evans hasn't committed to the Bills and the longer he waits to sign an extension the more the Bills have to plan for his departure.

under the above scenaio we would still have a 2nd rd pick from the trade down and would still be in position for a top TE.

Honestly I see an all O day 1 of the draft, but this is just me hypothesizing

Bill Cody
04-03-2008, 01:22 PM
tell that to the Colts who reached for Freeney.

That's another point. Pass rushers go early, sometimes earlier than they should, same with DB's. But that's why if you're up there at 11 you need to pounce. If not, what will be left in the 4th round under Jans plan? There will still be receivers available in rd 2.

justasportsfan
04-03-2008, 01:25 PM
That's another point. Pass rushers go early, sometimes earlier than they should, same with DB's. But that's why if you're up there at 11 you need to pounce. If not, what will be left in the 4th round under Jans plan? There will still be receivers available in rd 2.
YOu pounce when it's your biggest need. The O is our biggest problem. THe DE's we're hobbled by injuries and lack of support up the middle. It should get better with the additions in the middle

Bill Cody
04-03-2008, 01:32 PM
YOu pounce when it's your biggest need. The O is our biggest problem. THe DE's we're hobbled by injuries and lack of support up the middle. It should get better with the additions in the middle

I don't know. You watch the games and our DE's aren't getting double teamed. They just can't get there. Anyone that thinks our DE's are not as bad or worse than our receivers has to just pop in the NE 56-10 game. Brady in a rocking chair. I just can't stand to see that again.

And here's another point. How can you afford to pay Evans and draft a WR at 11? A receiver in that draft slot has to be a #1, otherwise where's the value? And we already have a #1. You can get #2 receivers in the 2nd round. It's harder to find stud DE's or CB's there.

Jan Reimers
04-03-2008, 01:41 PM
I understand your point, DBF, but I think Schobel and Kelsay will be better because of our improvements at DT, so a pass rushing DE is not as big a priority as it might have been.

But we are absolutely devoid of any big, rangy WRs, and I would rather have the best one on the board, at 11, versus the 5th or 6th best when we pick in the 2nd round. I don't think there is as much parity among the WRs in this draft as some think. The top 2 - Kelly and Thomas - are quite a bit better than the 4th, 5th or 6th.

justasportsfan
04-03-2008, 01:47 PM
I don't know. You watch the games and our DE's aren't getting double teamed. They just can't get there. Anyone that thinks our DE's are not as bad or worse than our receivers has to just pop in the NE 56-10 game. Brady in a rocking chair. I just can't stand to see that again. Aaron was. It really simple, collapse the pocket from up the middle. That'll svrew things up for the QB.

And here's another point. How can you afford to pay Evans and draft a WR at 11? A receiver in that draft slot has to be a #1, otherwise where's the value? And we already have a #1. You can get #2 receivers in the 2nd round. It's harder to find stud DE's or CB's there

It's a 2 headed monster. Even if a DE can get to the qb what use is it if the qb has no one to throw to when he get's the ball? If we addressed the no. 2 in FA I wouldn't mind drafting for the D.

Our D has gotten better on paper. Our crappy O hasn't . Balance it out or else Trent will be another bust and we'll be rebuilding next year when a new HC comes in.

eyedog
04-04-2008, 07:57 AM
you mean you got every pick right?

Over the last decade it wouldn't have been to difficult to outdo what the Bills drafts have been.
It's not that all their top picks are busts {mike williams} but who they picked. Did they really need McGahee when they already had Henry ?, and who picks a safety in the top-10 of a draft ? Especially when your lines sucked ? Evans is a nice receiver but I would have much rather taken Tommie Harris or Wilfork.
I would never use a premium pick on a wide receiver. Wide receiver's don't win Super Bowls, lines and qb's do. {ask Brady}.