PDA

View Full Version : DRAFT STRATEGY: If I'm Marvin Lewis...

lordofgun
04-14-2003, 10:21 AM
If I was Marvin Lewis (or the Cincy GM), here's what I'd do:

It's looking likely that I won't be able to trade down in the draft. There's just not that one player out there that a bunch of GMs are salivating over. Still, I make every attempt to trade down.

BUT considering the fact that I won't be able to move down, I select <b>CHARLES ROGERS, WR, MSU</b> at #1 overall.

I haven't seen this projected in many (if any) mocks, but it makes perfect sense to me.

If I'm Cincy, I'm wary of taking another QB at #1. Jon Kitna played adequately at that position last year as well.

So I take the one player who I think will have the biggest impact in his rookie year. Unlike most WRs, I think Rogers will be great from the get-go. So I'm going for immediate production.

The next part of my strategy is to take a QB with my second pick. This draft is DEEP in QBs, so this move allows me to draft a QB of the future while improving the team immediately with an impact WR AND not risking a #1 and a whole boatload of money on a potential QB bust.

If Cincy DOES draft like this, it will make their offense incredibly potent.

QB - Kitna
WR - Charles Johnson, Charles Rogers
RB - Corey Dillon

With the solid signings they've already made on Defense, following the draft strategy I just laid out could turn Cincy into a contender. But then again, this is Cincinatti we're talking about.

Thoughts?

The Spaz
04-14-2003, 10:26 AM
KFFL:

4:36 PT: Updating previous reports, the Cincinnati Enquirer reports Michigan State WR Charles Rogers said he will not visit with the Cincinnati Bengals before the NFL Draft. “I’m not worried about the Bengals taking me at all,” Rogers told the Houston Chronicle last weekend. “I’m not taking a visit to Cincinnati, so I don’t see Cincinnati taking me.”

LOL! Your scenario would suck for him. Go Bills!

PS: LOG buy the hat!:)

Earthquake Enyart
04-14-2003, 10:32 AM
I think they are going to take Newman, the shut down corner...

:ontome:

If I'm a team with crappy QB's (Like CINCY :eek: ) I can't pass up Palmer.

Pride
04-14-2003, 10:35 AM
Lewis will build a D first. Just like in Baltimore.

He already has Dillon, Now, the trick is keeping Dillon in the game. Hard to do, if you are down by 14-21 points every game.