X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

Explaining the new direct snap rule

The NFL changed a rarerly applied rule Wednesday. It is rarely applied because the circumstances needed to apply it rarely happen. But it seems to be causing a lot of head scratching because of the wording. So, I figured I'd help. Here's the rule change:

• A direct snap from center that goes backward will now be treated as a fumble. Previously, it was ruled a false start.

Here's what it means:

Before this change, by rule, if the quarterback was under center and had a snap go through his legs and the ball was picked up behind the quarterback by another player, the play was dead and it was a false start penalty on the offense. The ball had to touch the QB.

Now, that situation will result in a fumble, whether it touches the QB or not.

In shotgun (which includes punts, field goals, and extra points), it is not considered a "direct snap," so that was and still is live no matter what.

It reminds me of playing pickup football when we would do this intentionally -- put the QB under center and have him spread his legs real far and have the center snap it to a RB standing behind him. Worked in sandlot football, but was illegal in the NFL (false start.....QB must touch it).

By the way, I think they changed the rule because it actually happened to the Bears last year against the Eagles. The ball went through Griese's legs and was picked up by Philly. But it was called a false start on the Bears and they kept possession and that drive actually changed the outcome of the game.
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Re: Explaining the new direct snap rule

Thanks for the two break downs Coach!
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Mski
      • Mar 2006

interesting... im sure the pats will find a way to misuse this new rule
      RIP Tommy D!
      12/25/1978-9/9/2008

If you make something "Idiot-proof", they'll only make better idiots!

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
        The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water!
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Mski
        LOL! you said it! :)
        In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
          Roways rooking ahread!
          • Sep 2005

Comment

• Cntrygal
            Visually stunning but camera-shy.
            • Jul 2002

Thanks for the breakdown Sal!
            Originally posted by notacon
            The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

• X-Era
              What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Coach Sal
              The NFL changed a rarerly applied rule Wednesday. It is rarely applied because the circumstances needed to apply it rarely happen. But it seems to be causing a lot of head scratching because of the wording. So, I figured I'd help. Here's the rule change:

• A direct snap from center that goes backward will now be treated as a fumble. Previously, it was ruled a false start.

Here's what it means:

Before this change, by rule, if the quarterback was under center and had a snap go through his legs and the ball was picked up behind the quarterback by another player, the play was dead and it was a false start penalty on the offense. The ball had to touch the QB.

Now, that situation will result in a fumble, whether it touches the QB or not.

In shotgun (which includes punts, field goals, and extra points), it is not considered a "direct snap," so that was and still is live no matter what.

It reminds me of playing pickup football when we would do this intentionally -- put the QB under center and have him spread his legs real far and have the center snap it to a RB standing behind him. Worked in sandlot football, but was illegal in the NFL (false start.....QB must touch it).

By the way, I think they changed the rule because it actually happened to the Bears last year against the Eagles. The ball went through Griese's legs and was picked up by Philly. But it was called a false start on the Bears and they kept possession and that drive actually changed the outcome of the game.
              Hmmm, so the "sandlot" play is now legal then? Id bet some team will use it at least once this year.

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
                I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
                • May 2005

Coach Sal has become my hero around these parts lately. Thanks man!

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                  Pinkerton's son
                  • Feb 2006

Originally posted by EdwardsEra
                  Hmmm, so the "sandlot" play is now legal then? Id bet some team will use it at least once this year.
                  ...too bad we dont have inspector gadget as our OC anymore, or we'd use it on either the first play of the year or some idiotic time when we need like 25 yards to win the game.

Comment

• mybills
                    81 st zoner
                    • Jul 2002

Do ya think Teague got the memo!
                    I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• Michael82
                      • Jul 2002

Very cool, I was wondering what that meant. Thanks man.

Comment

• Gunzlingr
                        • Jul 2002

Good to know! Thanks Coach.
                        You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
                          Will not tolerate vandalism.
                          • Apr 2006

I already did.

Have Brady line up as a center, slide the ball back along the ground during the snap, step back, and with the ball now live as a fumble, pick it up and play it as normal. That makes room in the backfield for an extra eligible receiver. It'd be worth a shot on a Hail Mary-- why not? 6 wide receivers instead of 5... although you'd only have 4 linemen to block, but in that situation it'd be a prevent defense anyway.

Belichick can send me the royalty check.

Comment

Working...
                          X