PDA

View Full Version : Explaining the new direct snap rule

Coach Sal
04-02-2008, 09:16 PM
The NFL changed a rarerly applied rule Wednesday. It is rarely applied because the circumstances needed to apply it rarely happen. But it seems to be causing a lot of head scratching because of the wording. So, I figured I'd help. Here's the rule change:

• A direct snap from center that goes backward will now be treated as a fumble. Previously, it was ruled a false start.

Here's what it means:

Before this change, by rule, if the quarterback was under center and had a snap go through his legs and the ball was picked up behind the quarterback by another player, the play was dead and it was a false start penalty on the offense. The ball had to touch the QB.

Now, that situation will result in a fumble, whether it touches the QB or not.

In shotgun (which includes punts, field goals, and extra points), it is not considered a "direct snap," so that was and still is live no matter what.

It reminds me of playing pickup football when we would do this intentionally -- put the QB under center and have him spread his legs real far and have the center snap it to a RB standing behind him. Worked in sandlot football, but was illegal in the NFL (false start.....QB must touch it).

By the way, I think they changed the rule because it actually happened to the Bears last year against the Eagles. The ball went through Griese's legs and was picked up by Philly. But it was called a false start on the Bears and they kept possession and that drive actually changed the outcome of the game.

The King
04-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the two break downs Coach!:up:

Mski
04-02-2008, 09:26 PM
interesting... im sure the pats will find a way to misuse this new rule:up:

THE END OF ALL DAYS
04-02-2008, 09:28 PM

LOL! you said it! :)

Mitchy moo
04-02-2008, 09:29 PM

:respect:

Cntrygal
04-02-2008, 09:57 PM
:up:

Thanks for the breakdown Sal!

X-Era
04-03-2008, 06:38 AM
The NFL changed a rarerly applied rule Wednesday. It is rarely applied because the circumstances needed to apply it rarely happen. But it seems to be causing a lot of head scratching because of the wording. So, I figured I'd help. Here's the rule change:

• A direct snap from center that goes backward will now be treated as a fumble. Previously, it was ruled a false start.

Here's what it means:

Before this change, by rule, if the quarterback was under center and had a snap go through his legs and the ball was picked up behind the quarterback by another player, the play was dead and it was a false start penalty on the offense. The ball had to touch the QB.

Now, that situation will result in a fumble, whether it touches the QB or not.

In shotgun (which includes punts, field goals, and extra points), it is not considered a "direct snap," so that was and still is live no matter what.

It reminds me of playing pickup football when we would do this intentionally -- put the QB under center and have him spread his legs real far and have the center snap it to a RB standing behind him. Worked in sandlot football, but was illegal in the NFL (false start.....QB must touch it).

By the way, I think they changed the rule because it actually happened to the Bears last year against the Eagles. The ball went through Griese's legs and was picked up by Philly. But it was called a false start on the Bears and they kept possession and that drive actually changed the outcome of the game.

Hmmm, so the "sandlot" play is now legal then? Id bet some team will use it at least once this year.

BlackMetalNinja
04-03-2008, 07:02 AM
Coach Sal has become my hero around these parts lately. Thanks man!

Pinkerton Security
04-03-2008, 09:36 AM
Hmmm, so the "sandlot" play is now legal then? Id bet some team will use it at least once this year.

...too bad we dont have inspector gadget as our OC anymore, or we'd use it on either the first play of the year or some idiotic time when we need like 25 yards to win the game.

mybills
04-03-2008, 10:03 AM
Do ya think Teague got the memo!

Michael82
04-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Very cool, I was wondering what that meant. Thanks man. :up:

Gunzlingr
04-03-2008, 11:34 AM
Good to know! Thanks Coach.

Johnny Bugmenot
04-03-2008, 05:19 PM

I already did.

Have Brady line up as a center, slide the ball back along the ground during the snap, step back, and with the ball now live as a fumble, pick it up and play it as normal. That makes room in the backfield for an extra eligible receiver. It'd be worth a shot on a Hail Mary-- why not? 6 wide receivers instead of 5... although you'd only have 4 linemen to block, but in that situation it'd be a prevent defense anyway.

Belichick can send me the royalty check.