PDA

View Full Version : WHY PICK A WR in Round #1

tampabay25690
04-03-2008, 04:16 PM
I know most of the people on here think that the BILLS will pick a WR in the 1st round. My question to you is shouldn't we get the BEST player available.

I know the BILLS need a #2 WR to go next to Lee. I know Malcomb Kelly, and Devin Thomas are good players but I think they are a reach at the 11 spot. Knowing JAURON is a DEFENSIVE minded coach do you see him passing over a PASS RUSHING DE in HARVEY!!! A CB like MIKE JENKINS, Leodis McKelvin, or maybe even a stud like KEITH RIVERS ( I think he will be gone anyway).

TO beat the PATRIOTS in this division we need to add some good talent in our secondary and our pass rush. IT will be so hard to pass up some DEFENSIVE guy that can help this team right away. IM not saying we shouldnt go offense but I think that should wait till the 2nd ROUND!!!!!!!!!! I think a guy like Early Doucet, or even Manningham will be there, don't be surprsied if 1 of the top WR slips as well I think it will be KELLY and his knee injuries.........

LATER!!!!

DrGraves
04-03-2008, 04:28 PM
umm because we don't have any fricken good wr's????

Philagape
04-03-2008, 04:32 PM
I'm so sick of the word reach. If a player successfully fills a need, and he wouldn't have been there at the team's next pick, it's not a reach. And that won't be known for years.
Another reason why it's irrelevant now is because all it's based on is media mock drafts, and who gives a crap about that. They don't know what other teams will do.

ParanoidAndroid
04-03-2008, 04:36 PM
I'm all for Caldwell in the second, but we may have to move up to lock it. He has a chance to be the best in this class.

Jan Reimers
04-03-2008, 04:39 PM
I'm so sick of the word reach. If a player successfully fills a need, and he wouldn't have been there at the team's next pick, it's not a reach. And that won't be known for years.
Another reason why it's irrelevant now is because all it's based on is media mock drafts, and who gives a crap about that. They don't know what other teams will do.
I agree. And there are no sure things in any draft, particularly when you're out of the top ten. I can't figure out why McKelvin, Jenkins and DRC are presumed to be locks, while Kelly and Thomas are reaches.

yordad
04-03-2008, 04:55 PM
How do you deem something to be a reach? I can think of a few different ways. What do you think of when you say "reach"?

They would have been available much later?
The career they go onto have?
Where they are at in terms of BPA?

patmoran2006
04-03-2008, 05:01 PM
WHY is devin thomas or malcom kelly a reach?

Philagape
04-03-2008, 05:04 PM
WHY is devin thomas or malcom kelly a reach?

Because the mock draft at www.wehaveourownsitesowe'reexperts.com had him going five spots later

yordad
04-03-2008, 05:08 PM
WHY is devin thomas or malcom kelly a reach?That is basically what I am asking. I guess my wording was a little too wordy. :idunno:

coastal
04-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Devin Thomas is top 10 talent.

tampabay25690
04-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Devin Thomas is top 10 talent.

MAYBE he is like a few of u said you never know.

I think the people that know football and I have a friend that is a scout for the NFL has said there is not a WR that is worth a top 10....But probably in the top 20......He thinks the BILLS will go Defense but definitely could go WR if they feel WR will go fast...

I KNOW THE BILLS NEED A WR.........

Philagape
04-03-2008, 05:38 PM
I think the people that know football and I have a friend that is a scout for the NFL has said there is not a WR that is worth a top 10....But probably in the top 20

Good thing we're No. 11 :phew:

What the hell's the difference anyway? What NFL GM would say "We really like this guy and he fills a need, but we can't take him because the so-called experts say it's seven or eight spots too soon."

PECKERWOOD
04-03-2008, 06:02 PM
They are a reach because chances are we can trade up into the late first and still grab one of them.. This WR class is pretty deep and a good WR should be available with our pick in the 2nd round anyways, so why not take the best player available in the 1st? It wouldn't hurt to have a talented CB that could match up against Moss or a DE that could get inside Brady's head and rattle the young QB's in our division. ( I heard somebody else here say that awhile ago here and I'm not sure who said or I would have given you propers.. )

Philagape
04-03-2008, 06:11 PM
They are a reach because chances are we can trade up into the late first and still grab one of them.. This WR class is pretty deep and a good WR should be available with our pick in the 2nd round anyways, so why not take the best player available in the 1st? It wouldn't hurt to have a talented CB that could match up against Moss or a DE that could get inside Brady's head and rattle the young QB's in our division. ( I heard somebody else here say that awhile ago here and I'm not sure who said or I would have given you propers.. )

Who says chances are we can trade? That's a pretty big variable; it depends on factors the Bills have no control over, like other teams' willingness to trade, other teams making trades, and what they want in exchange.
Never assume what can happen who will be there later on. The Bills should draft according to their board only.

YardRat
04-03-2008, 06:24 PM
I'd feel a lot better about going BPA for the entire draft if the FO had done anything at all to address the WR position before we actually pick, but still won't be upset if we go CB, DE, maybe even DT if someone falls into our lap.

tampabay25690
04-03-2008, 07:21 PM

GOOD POST...You understand football as well...

tampabay25690
04-03-2008, 07:22 PM
I'd feel a lot better about going BPA for the entire draft if the FO had done anything at all to address the WR position before we actually pick, but still won't be upset if we go CB, DE, maybe even DT if someone falls into our lap.

I agree with u as well.....You never know what will happen at all......

PECKERWOOD
04-03-2008, 09:58 PM

Could you imagine Ellis falling to us? :drool:

Who says chances are we can trade? That's a pretty big variable; it depends on factors the Bills have no control over, like other teams' willingness to trade, other teams making trades, and what they want in exchange.
Never assume what can happen who will be there later on. The Bills should draft according to their board only.

I bet you a team like Minnesota would LOVE to add a guy like Harvey or Merling to their team, just speculation. (Btw, my old man exchanged that idea with me and I think that he may be on to something.. )

venis2k1
04-03-2008, 11:22 PM
I dont see the logic in thinking a second round WR will come in and take over the #2 role.

Josh Reed-second round
Peerless Price-second round
Roscoe Parrish-second round

Philagape
04-03-2008, 11:24 PM
I dont see the logic in thinking a second round WR will come in and take over the #2 role.

Josh Reed-second round
Peerless Price-second round
Roscoe Parrish-second round

:ill:

TigerJ
04-03-2008, 11:58 PM
Donte Whitner was deemed a reach pick by all the "experts" who produce mock drafts. He has performed better than the strong safety who was picked ahead of him in the draft (whom all the "experts" were drooling over). In retrospect, all the "experts" said Buffalo got lucky. The problem is the real experts are mostly working for NFL football teams, not working for media outlets or self publishing mock drafts on the internet. And those real experts aren't very open about sharing their opinions even after the draft. We heard hints here and there that this team or that team was ready to snatch Whitner only a few picks later even though most of the "experts" insisted the Bills could have dropped at least to the middle of the round and maybe further and still would have been able to draft Whitner, while picking up an extra draft pick later in the draft. The funny thing is most "experts" are busy putting their evaluations of how teams did in the draft the very next day after the draft. The trouble with the evaluations is that they mostly consist of the mock drafter's comparison of what a team has done with the mock drafter's prediction. The closer the results to the prediction, the better the team must have done, because after all the mock draft pundit knows best. I think the real experts know you can't do a valid evaluation until a year or two after the fact.

Looking at the 2008 draft, pundits have said the best receivers in the draft are no better than mid-first round players. I'm not sure why Kelly is so rated, though if the arthritic knee rumors had proved true, that would have been grounds for a drastic lowering of his draft grade. He didn't play in the most sophisticated pass offense in college football. That may have something to do with it. There have been rumors he wasn't that fast. Now there are rumors he may run a very good time at his workout next week. By most accounts he's got hands of glue, having dropped only a couple passes total in the last two seasons.

Devin Thomas had a great season. He's got good hands and breakaway speed, and he's big enough. The downgrade comes because "he only did it for one season." That's the pundits speaking. When asked, Dick Jauron didn't seem to think that was as a big factor when considering wide receivers as it is for players in some other positions. Is that just coachspeak or just Dick Jauron's opinion, or is that general knowledge among the true experts in football? I don't know. Well, not knowing, I'm not going to presume I know and grade the choice a "D" if Buffalo happens to draft a WR at #11 without trading down first.

Bmax
04-04-2008, 12:16 AM
I know most of the people on here think that the BILLS will pick a WR in the 1st round. My question to you is shouldn't we get the BEST player available.

I know the BILLS need a #2 WR to go next to Lee. I know Malcomb Kelly, and Devin Thomas are good players but I think they are a reach at the 11 spot. Knowing JAURON is a DEFENSIVE minded coach do you see him passing over a PASS RUSHING DE in HARVEY!!! A CB like MIKE JENKINS, Leodis McKelvin, or maybe even a stud like KEITH RIVERS ( I think he will be gone anyway).

TO beat the PATRIOTS in this division we need to add some good talent in our secondary and our pass rush. IT will be so hard to pass up some DEFENSIVE guy that can help this team right away. IM not saying we shouldnt go offense but I think that should wait till the 2nd ROUND!!!!!!!!!! I think a guy like Early Doucet, or even Manningham will be there, don't be surprsied if 1 of the top WR slips as well I think it will be KELLY and his knee injuries.........

LATER!!!!

Say what ? Manningham are you kidding me !!!!!! at 5-11 and 181 he should not be anywhere on our radar....

A couple of key points Jauron won't be making this pick on his own.. Ralph will have a say so will Brandon ,Guy and Modrak...

The quality of Big WR's in this draft in the 1st two rounds runs about six deep in my opinon
There are six WR 's that i would draft in either rd 1 or 2 they are

rRd 1 or early rd 2.. before our pick at 41

1. Devin Thomas-6-2-217-4.40 -40-
2.James Hardy -6-5-217 -4.51-40
3. Malcolm Kelly -6-4-220-4-45-40 ?
4. Limas Sweed-6-4-215-4.48-40

any of these two guys from pick 41 to late rd 2

5.Jerome Simpson-6-2-200-4.47-41 vertical..
6. Andre Caldwell-6-1-205-4.37-40

after these guys maybe Jordy Nelson in Rd3...

Paul Hubbard in Rd 3 or early Rd4...

The top two corners will go before we pick at 11 Mckelvin and DRC will be gone by 11.....Jenkins is not a top 15 player.. neiter is talib who has a character issues...

Harvey would be a good pick at 11 .. I Just doubt they would take him..

My gut tells me that they trade out of 11 with the Lions if Harvey is still on the board. Then the Bills at 15 select Kelly or Thomas... The trade down would give the Bills the Lions 3rd pick...# 76....

In rd 2 the Bills could select CB Brandon Flowers,CB Patrick Lee, and Justin King. CB,Tyvon Branch, Thomas from usc in rd 3 or Chevis jackson and molden in 3 or 4... The Bills need two cbs on the roster so they could go cb in rd 2 and 3

Bmax

Night Train
04-04-2008, 04:38 AM

:bf1: Well stated.

While I have my opinions/ideas like everyone else, we can't forget what our needs are at various positions. If the Bills can't find a trade down option and must make a selection at #11, I'm not going into meltdown mode if they select WR Devin Thomas of Michigan St., a player I believe they like a lot. He fills a glaring need & would never be there in Round 2.

My first thought would be " That takes care of WR. Now on to our next need. Well done ".

Not " We could have had MY BOY I've been posting about 1700 times ad nauseum. I'll now spend 2 weeks blasting everyone on the board who disagrees with me, since I'm far smarter than the Bills & these other posters " . :shakeno:

These draft sites get so caught up in spitting out terms like "VALUE" or "REACH" as if they have far more knowledge than most scouts, which they don't. It's opinion and nothing more.

Review the entire body of work after Day 2 of the Draft is complete instead of freaking out after each pick.

tampabay25690
04-04-2008, 08:24 AM
Say what ? Manningham are you kidding me !!!!!! at 5-11 and 181 he should not be anywhere on our radar....

A couple of key points Jauron won't be making this pick on his own.. Ralph will have a say so will Brandon ,Guy and Modrak...

The quality of Big WR's in this draft in the 1st two rounds runs about six deep in my opinon
There are six WR 's that i would draft in either rd 1 or 2 they are

rRd 1 or early rd 2.. before our pick at 41

1. Devin Thomas-6-2-217-4.40 -40-
2.James Hardy -6-5-217 -4.51-40
3. Malcolm Kelly -6-4-220-4-45-40 ?
4. Limas Sweed-6-4-215-4.48-40

any of these two guys from pick 41 to late rd 2

5.Jerome Simpson-6-2-200-4.47-41 vertical..
6. Andre Caldwell-6-1-205-4.37-40

after these guys maybe Jordy Nelson in Rd3...

Paul Hubbard in Rd 3 or early Rd4...

The top two corners will go before we pick at 11 Mckelvin and DRC will be gone by 11.....Jenkins is not a top 15 player.. neiter is talib who has a character issues...

Harvey would be a good pick at 11 .. I Just doubt they would take him..

My gut tells me that they trade out of 11 with the Lions if Harvey is still on the board. Then the Bills at 15 select Kelly or Thomas... The trade down would give the Bills the Lions 3rd pick...# 76....

In rd 2 the Bills could select CB Brandon Flowers,CB Patrick Lee, and Justin King. CB,Tyvon Branch, Thomas from usc in rd 3 or Chevis jackson and molden in 3 or 4... The Bills need two cbs on the roster so they could go cb in rd 2 and 3

Bmax

OK MEL KIPER........You have some points. HONESTLY we have no idea what the teams in front of us will do. I do know the BILLS need to take the best player that is there weather it be a guy that slips like a RIVERS, ELLIS, HARVEY or McKelvin. JENKINS is a top 15 guy I dont know where you get that.........

I like KELLY yes and Thomas.........I like the idea of trdaing that pick to the 15+ spot and get an additional pick out of it........LETS face it I think this team is on the rise and I think most of you do as well........It will be the picks form the 2nd round on that will help us the most. That 1st rounder yea will get playing time and maybe even start..........WE JUST need to get the best talent PERIOD!!!! I will tell you if HARVEY is there he may be in a BILLS uniform next year.......

Pinkerton Security
04-04-2008, 08:41 AM
GOOD POST...You understand football as well...
i HATE when people think they may know more about football than other people, especially some have never even played it.

if you were to look at the worse of our 2 units, offense and defense, which would you say was worse?

if you say D, then i laugh in your face. so, how can it be that someone who "understands football" doesnt want to help out the worst part of our team as much as possible?

im all for getting a great player, and its in their hands, i just hope they dont f it up.

Michael82
04-04-2008, 12:21 PM
If we don't take a WR in the 1st round, there will a run on them near the middle and end of the round and we will be left with nothing by our 2nd rounder. We didn't fill the biggest hole on the team in FA, we need to fill it in the draft. Malcolm Kelly or Devin Thomas will do that and I don't know if the Bills will be able to trade down and get them. So I would reach for them. Plus they have already proven before, they don't give a **** if it's a reach or not, they will draft who they like and need the most.

PECKERWOOD
04-04-2008, 01:42 PM
If you concede to the fact that both our offense and defense needs serious revamping, then why not take BPA ?

Pinkerton Security
04-04-2008, 01:44 PM
If you concede to the fact that both our offense and defense needs serious revamping, then why not take BPA ?

good point, which is why i personally wont be upset if we take someone on D, just hope that we fix the O before the D.

Philagape
04-04-2008, 02:16 PM

The defense has already gotten help

Michael82
04-04-2008, 03:02 PM
The defense does NOT need serious revamping. They have already signed a bunch of guys that will make it much better, plus drafted to build the D. IMO, our defense is one of our lesser needs. I would rank it like this....

1. Wide Receiver (2 of them)
2. Tight End
3. Center (Melvin Fowler is definitely our weakest link on the OL)
4. Fullback
5. Defensive End (Ryan Denney was injured, plus we lost Anthony Hargrove)
6. Cornerback (I don't get why anyone would want to draft one in the first round, we have a cover 2 D and CBs are not that important)
7. Guard (I'm not sold on Butler)
8. Quarterback (Sure Trent Edwards is the starter, but JP Losman will either be traded or will leave after the season. We need another QB)

Pinkerton Security
04-04-2008, 03:16 PM
The defense does NOT need serious revamping. They have already signed a bunch of guys that will make it much better, plus drafted to build the D. IMO, our defense is one of our lesser needs. I would rank it like this....

2. Tight End
4. Fullback
6. Cornerback (I don't get why anyone would want to draft one in the first round, we have a cover 2 D and CBs are not that important)
8. Quarterback (Sure Trent Edwards is the starter, but JP Losman will either be traded or will leave after the season. We need another QB)

i disagree with only one point: I still dont like how people say we dont need good CB's in a cover 2! We may not need to draft one in the first round, thats for sure, but imagine how much better we'd be with a quick, physical CB who can react quickly and take away those quick slants. that being said, im OK if we go with the guys we have, i just hope Youboty shows some life or hes gone and we'll need to replace him.

THATHURMANATOR
04-04-2008, 03:18 PM
I will be fine with anyone they pick.

tampabay25690
04-04-2008, 04:24 PM
i HATE when people think they may know more about football than other people, especially some have never even played it.

if you were to look at the worse of our 2 units, offense and defense, which would you say was worse?

if you say D, then i laugh in your face. so, how can it be that someone who "understands football" doesnt want to help out the worst part of our team as much as possible?

im all for getting a great player, and its in their hands, i just hope they dont f it up.

I guess I dont know footabll......You take the best player that is available. PERIOD...

tampabay25690
04-04-2008, 04:27 PM

OK.....The fact is that the BILLS are looking at some defensive guys as well in the 1st round. IF you are going to compete with NE in our division you need to get to the QB and cover.........

I KNOW WE need a WR......WOuld it surprise me if we took MALCOMB KELLY (NOT AT ALL)..........

By the way I know someone in football that even told me that the BILLS will probably go defense in the 1st........

You will never laugh in my face either, I GURANTEE that....

SO go back to playing your video game.....

Yasgur's Farm
04-04-2008, 05:47 PM

2. Tight End
4. Fullback
Here's how I see it...
1. Wide Receiver
2. Tight End
3. Cornerback
4. Wide Receiver
5. Defensive End
6. Center
7. Guard
8. Quarterback
9. Fullback

jamze132
04-04-2008, 07:43 PM
This is rather simple. Our biggest need is another WR who is taller than a munchkin. We should fill that need with the #11 pick in the draft. If our scouts did their homework properly we will get the best WR of the class, regardless of who Kiper thinks it is.

Kiper is a tool and he is a reach...

Pinkerton Security
04-06-2008, 04:16 PM
OK.....The fact is that the BILLS are looking at some defensive guys as well in the 1st round. IF you are going to compete with NE in our division you need to get to the QB and cover.........

I KNOW WE need a WR......WOuld it surprise me if we took MALCOMB KELLY (NOT AT ALL)..........

By the way I know someone in football that even told me that the BILLS will probably go defense in the 1st........

You will never laugh in my face either, I GURANTEE that....

SO go back to playing your video game.....

k tough guy. whatever you say. ever played football?

acehole
04-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Leodis McKelvin CB

Ship it!

acehole
04-06-2008, 04:39 PM
Here is how I see it...
I have last year to go by...

1.BPA that fills a need.
2.BPA that has dropped way down the board from the first round.
3.BPA that does not fill a need but give us job security.
4.Prospect that does not fill a need that makes you say huh when we could of had the other guy?
5.Depth
6.Camp fodder
7.Probable starting player by week 5.
7.QB of the back to the future.

Here's how I see it...
1. Wide Receiver
2. Tight End
3. Cornerback
4. Wide Receiver
5. Defensive End
6. Center
7. Guard