PDA

View Full Version : The real reason the Sabres are not in the playoffs...

Ebenezer
04-04-2008, 03:06 AM
This team is out of the playoffs not because of the players that were lost but because of the players that WERE NOT BROUGHT IN TO REPLACE THEM. Take any team/company, ditch the top 20% of the workforce, replace them with less experienced players/workers and watch the production/profits fall. TG should know a business model better than he showed with the Sabres.

LtFinFan66
04-04-2008, 03:11 AM
They didn't earn enough points: THAT'S the real reason

RockStar36
04-04-2008, 06:50 AM
You really show your Pittsburgh-ness in threads like these

Mitchy moo
04-04-2008, 07:00 AM
They didn't earn enough points: THAT'S the real reason

We'll take away Syd the kid and Malkin, then let's see how your team does.

LtFinFan66
04-04-2008, 07:05 AM
You really show your Pittsburgh-ness in threads like these:rofl:

LtFinFan66
04-04-2008, 07:06 AM
We'll take away Syd the kid and Malkin, then let's see how your team does.So you guys lost equal quality as those two:idunno:

I honestly don't know what you guys lost between last year and this year.

don137
04-04-2008, 07:10 AM
Losing Tepo (injury), Drury and Briere the Sabres lost not just tealent but leadership. I feel the lack of leadership really hurt them.
I also think not having a quality #2 goalie really hurt them. Miller has looked no better than an average goalie for a good part of the season. I attribute that to wearing down and being forced to play so many games.

RockStar36
04-04-2008, 07:27 AM
So you guys lost equal quality as those two:idunno:

I honestly don't know what you guys lost between last year and this year.

:ill:

Read the numerous threads started by Skooby

LtFinFan66
04-04-2008, 07:27 AM
No thanks. I would rather stay in the dark about it:couch:

RockStar36
04-04-2008, 07:28 AM
Good call

carybillsfan
04-04-2008, 08:30 AM
The real reason they are not in the playoffs is Shootout Losses plain and simple. Imagine if Miller wasn't .500 against shooters and they were 9-4 instead of 4-9. Shootouts are one of the most overlooked vital stats in the NHL.

Earthquake Enyart
04-04-2008, 09:45 AM
This team is out of the playoffs not because of the players that were lost but because of the players that WERE NOT BROUGHT IN TO REPLACE THEM. Take any team/company, ditch the top 20% of the workforce, replace them with less experienced players/workers and watch the production/profits fall. TG should know a business model better than he showed with the Sabres.

Look, Briere and Drury simply aren't worth the money. Period. Yeah, they should have re-upped them the year before they were free agents, blah, blah, blah.

But, to a certain extent you are right. Players have left in the past, but the young players in our system stepped up. I can see what they were thinking last off season. Roy would step up to become Briere. We would have a whole season of Stafford. Mair and Gaustad would step up and be Drury. And we would have a whole year of Timmy. I can understand why Darcy and gang thought we'd be ok.

The key to this off season is their evaluation of the centers above. Can any of them step up their game to eventually move into these roles? Is Roy a #1 center? Can Stafford be a #2 center? Is Timmy done? Can Mair or Gaustad improve beyone 4th line centers? Should we bring back a guy like Peca to be a #3 center?

I think our wings are ok. I think the one good thing that has come out of this season is that it loks like we have a lot of young defensemen that can play. The key to next year will be the centers.

RockStar36
04-04-2008, 09:47 AM
The real reason they are not in the playoffs is Shootout Losses plain and simple. Imagine if Miller wasn't .500 against shooters and they were 9-4 instead of 4-9. Shootouts are one of the most overlooked vital stats in the NHL.

Imagine if the shooters scored on even half of their attemps. It's a two way street. Miller gets a lot of crap for shootouts and sometimes it seems the other players get a free pass on not scoring. Christ, Miller did everything possible the other night in Toronto to win that shootout the it took like 5 or 6 rounds for the shooters to finally put one home.

Ebenezer
04-04-2008, 10:15 AM
But, to a certain extent you are right. Players have left in the past, but the young players in our system stepped up. I can see what they were thinking last off season. Roy would step up to become Briere. We would have a whole season of Stafford. Mair and Gaustad would step up and be Drury. And we would have a whole year of Timmy. I can understand why Darcy and gang thought we'd be ok.

And they greatly overestimated the ability of the defense.

Ebenezer
04-04-2008, 10:16 AM

And they greatly overestimated the ability of the defense - especially with Teppo going down.

carybillsfan
04-04-2008, 10:22 AM
Imagine if the shooters scored on even half of their attemps. It's a two way street. Miller gets a lot of crap for shootouts and sometimes it seems the other players get a free pass on not scoring. Christ, Miller did everything possible the other night in Toronto to win that shootout the it took like 5 or 6 rounds for the shooters to finally put one home.

I wasn't point the finger solely at Miller, but 50% ranks at the bottom of the league, I'm sure our shooteres stats are down there too.

Michael82
04-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Losing Tepo (injury), Drury and Briere the Sabres lost not just tealent but leadership. I feel the lack of leadership really hurt them.
I also think not having a quality #2 goalie really hurt them. Miller has looked no better than an average goalie for a good part of the season. I attribute that to wearing down and being forced to play so many games.
Good post! :bf1:

Earthquake Enyart
04-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Roy was the captain of a Memorial Cup team. To me, he's the disappointment.

chubluv
04-04-2008, 10:11 PM
Roy was the captain of a Memorial Cup team. To me, he's the disappointment.

Are you serious? Roy once he stopped pissing & moaning the first 15 games or so was one of our best if not the best player on the team. The leaders of this team are young and growing into those roles.

They gave Roy the contract this year they better get Pommers signed real quick with a long term deal. Those 2 are our future in the leadership department.