PDA

View Full Version : We deserve this!! Still think the Sabres are more relevant?

HHURRICANE
04-04-2008, 07:38 AM
Last year I had to hear everyone say that this is more of a hockey town than a football town. One of our prominant Billszone posters made the comment more than once.

Do you still feel that way now?

Football is and will always be the better sport. If I had to only keep one franchise it would be the Bills.

Please don't go there again.

Michael82
04-04-2008, 10:54 AM
I said the same thing and laughed at the people who called it a hockey town. Sure it's a hockey town when the team is winning, but if the Bills start winning again, Buffalo is primarily a Buffalo Bills city first.

OpIv37
04-05-2008, 09:40 AM
I don't know if you can say one is a better sport. Football is more marketable.

Football will always have one big advantage: only 8 home games, 70,000 people. With hockey, baseball, basketball, etc- at the end of the game it becomes clear that all the games matter, but during the year it's easy to think "well, we lost this game, but there are still 80 more." In football, it's much more obvious that every game matters.

I don't know why it has to be a football town or a hockey town- there's no reason why it can't be both. But you really need to spend some time in a place like DC or Carolina or Miami to understand why Buffalo is considered a "hockey town". Outside of the northern tier of the country and a few select places like Dallas, people just don't care about hockey. The DC area has 5 times the amount of people as the Buffalo area, but the Caps average 5000 less per game than the Sabres. Caps merch is hard to find and you can forget about finding merch for any other team (I know of ONE store in all of Northern VA that consistently stocks hockey paraphernalia). So, Buffalo is definitely a hockey town- that doesn't mean it can't be a football town too.