PDA

View Full Version : Shows how much the talking heads know

Mr. Miyagi
04-04-2008, 08:05 AM
Just heard on Sirius this morning, some caller asked about the Bills drafting a WR at #11 if it's too early and such. Randy Cross and Carl Banks discussed the possibilities, and pondered whether the Bills should draft a QB at #11 instead, saying their QB situation is still not good.

Right.....:rolleyes:

Scumbag College
04-04-2008, 08:09 AM
I've never really heard Carl Banks talk, but Randy Cross could very well be one of the stupidest football commentators around.

THATHURMANATOR
04-04-2008, 08:11 AM
There are NO guarantees in my mind that Edwards will be a good QB. I have a good feeling about him but I am the ultimate optimist.

Patti120
04-04-2008, 08:12 AM
There are NO guarantees in my mind that Edwards will be a good QB. I have a good feeling about him but I am the ultimate optimist.

Well said!

HHURRICANE
04-04-2008, 08:25 AM
Just heard on Sirius this morning, some caller asked about the Bills drafting a WR at #11 if it's too early and such. Randy Cross and Carl Banks discussed the possibilities, and pondered whether the Bills should draft a QB at #11 instead, saying their QB situation is still not good.

Wow, that's not good.

However, I have Sirrius as well and Randy Cross never, ever, does his homework. He probably didn't know that Edwards played last year.

clumping platelets
04-04-2008, 09:01 AM
But how does drafting a QB at #11 help that? It doesn't..........getting Trent more to work with does

RockStar36
04-04-2008, 09:02 AM
I think half the time those guys just say things to rile people up.

ddaryl
04-04-2008, 09:07 AM
The Bills should and probably will draft a QB just won't be a 1st rounder.

gr8slayer
04-04-2008, 09:16 AM
They are right about one thing...... the QB situation isn't very good. Hopefully it improves, though I don't see how bringing in yet another rookie QB is going to help us unless we think we can land a franchise QB. After R1 it's fair game and we should draft another QB at some point.

RockStar36
04-04-2008, 09:21 AM
I think if Losman is gone they need an experienced vet. If Trent goes down I'd like to know that the season isn't lost with a rookie QB taking over.

Gunzlingr
04-04-2008, 09:29 AM
They are right about one thing...... the QB situation isn't very good. Hopefully it improves, though I don't see how bringing in yet another rookie QB is going to help us unless we think we can land a franchise QB. After R1 it's fair game and we should draft another QB at some point.

Smartest thing you've said in months.

Devin
04-04-2008, 09:31 AM
Ill say this. It all comes down to what potential the coaching staff thinks TE has.

Hes the best QB on our roster, which might be more accuratley put "hes the qb who sucks the least on our roster".

Thats not to say hes bad or that he wont be great, but its not entirley out the realm of possibility.

Mr. Miyagi
04-04-2008, 09:35 AM
I agree there are no guarantees, but it doesn't mean we have a bad QB situation that requires us to draft one in the first round.

Jay Cutler has done next to nothing to garner any guarantees, but no one is talking about Denver needing to draft a QB, in ANY round. What exactly has Matt Schaub done? Vince Young? Jason Campbell? Aaron Rodgers? Yet none of the talking heads are saying these teams should consider a QB in the first day at all.

The media hates the Bills. **** them all.

Mr. Miyagi
04-04-2008, 09:37 AM
Ill say this. It all comes down to what potential the coaching staff thinks TE has.

Hes the best QB on our roster, which might be more accuratley put "hes the qb who sucks the least on our roster".

Thats not to say hes bad or that he wont be great, but its not entirley out the realm of possibility.
I agree but Matt Ryan surely isn't any better, now or in 5 years.

Smells like another Alex Smith to me.

gr8slayer
04-04-2008, 09:38 AM
I agree but Matt Ryan surely isn't any better, now or in 5 years.

Smells like another Alex Smith to me.
Ryan and Smith are two very different styles of player.

feelthepain
04-04-2008, 09:58 AM

Neither Edwards or Losman have proven to be worthy of building a franchise around. What should these guy's say?

bflojohn
04-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Oh boy, I am going to say something similar to our Dolphins friend! The theory that you draft best player available does NOT leave out the possibility that you could greatly upgrade at QB folks! Trent Edwards was a 3rd rounder last year, and frankly only should glimpses that EVERYONE has attached their wagon to, but I think Matt Ryan or Brian Brohm represent an upgrade. Edwards is a 3rd rounder, so what does this fandom owe him yet? Nothing quite yet, and competition at that position obviously WILL NOT be provided by J.P. Losman anymore! therefore a case CAN be made for any upgrade that presents itself, IMO!! Sorry, pure football 101 in my mind.....
Note: Project a few years up the road with either Ryan or Brohm, and one of them is leading the Bills to multiple Super Bowl appearances, would you still pine for Losman or Edwards? I wouldn't under those parameters!!

justasportsfan
04-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Oh boy, I am going to say something similar to our Dolphins friend! The theory that you draft best player available does NOT leave out the possibility that you could greatly upgrade at QB folks! Trent Edwards was a 3rd rounder last year, and frankly only should glimpses that EVERYONE has attached their wagon to, but I think Matt Ryan or Brian Brohm represent an upgrade. Edwards is a 3rd rounder, so what does this fandom owe him yet? Nothing quite yet, and competition at that position obviously WILL NOT be provided by J.P. Losman anymore! therefore a case CAN be made for any upgrade that presents itself, IMO!! Sorry, pure football 101 in my mind.....
Note: Project a few years up the road with either Ryan or Brohm, and one of them is leading the Bills to multiple Super Bowl appearances, would you still pine for Losman or Edwards? I wouldn't under those parameters!!

OOOH Now you done it. You're gonna piss off the Trent fans that want to put our eggs in one basket (trent). Under that situation I say go for it. Get rid of JP and bring in either Ryan or Brohm.

What you say trent fans?

The Spaz
04-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Neither Edwards or Losman have proven to be worthy of building a franchise around. What should these guy's say?

Is Beck the man is Miami? Has he proven to be the franchise QB?

feelthepain
04-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Is Beck the man is Miami? Has he proven to be the franchise QB?
Gee how did I know a Bill fan was gonna ask this question? There is no reason for this question because the topic is about Buffalo and who they have at QB, not Miami. To answer your question though, No Beck hasn't proven to be a franchise QB and I have no idea if Beck will be a franchise QB, but I hope he is.

Akhippo
04-04-2008, 12:27 PM
Competition at QB is not as good a thing as people think. You have to go with the old saying, If you have two QBs, you dont have any. Its the one position where you have to have a clear starter and a clear backup. A capable backup, but a backup none the less.

QB is such a thinking position that if you start adding off the field, or looking over the shoulder distractions, your actually hurting your team. Look at Losman, he could very well have become a very good starter if it was handled right. He was yanked and second guessed to were hes now on the scrap pile.

TE may or may not become a good starter, but unless your going to relegate him to a career backup, you dont draft a QB high. That would be the beginning of the end for both.

kgun12
04-04-2008, 12:38 PM
It amazes me when someone in football says something like this. The TE fans just dismiss it as the football guy doesn't know what he is talking about, but if that same guy would have said TE is the man said football guy would have been a genius. BTW I haven't heard many football guys outside of the Bills organization say the Bills are set with TE behind the center! I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think our QB of the now or future is on the roster right now, just my opinion! :idunno:

acehole
04-04-2008, 12:40 PM

On the face of that I agree with you....but what do we really have right now?

A rookie who showed some promise.

A Journeymen/bust (Which ever side you are on.) in JP.

Another guy who may never touch the field.

With all the other deficits on this team I will agree even though the QB is the most important.....we could deal with this position as is for a year.

But it still imho remains a? to date.

Then you have to throw in M Ryan vs Trend...and that is arguably a wash....then what do you do with trend?

Silly to draft one....but you usually want a rookie, a journymen, a nifty vet.

Difler, JP and Trend would be ideal.

kgun12
04-04-2008, 12:52 PM

:headscrat A journeyman bust? I have said this before, JP had parts of 31 games, Bret F. played over 80 games before he got it! Seriously, the Packers fan hated him for most of those games...and BTW he had the same head coach for that whole time. JP had 3 new head coaches and OC's. Bust is way to harsh. Would or will he ever be a great QB who known (surely not any of the experts on this board) but he wasn't EVER given a fair chance. I just hope TE gets more than parts of 31 games to prove he is the man or sucks!

:surrender

justasportsfan
04-04-2008, 12:54 PM
:headscrat A journeyman bust? I have said this before, JP had parts of 31 games, Bret F. played over 80 games before he got it! Seriously, the Packers fan hated him for most of those games...and BTW he had the same head coach for that whole time. JP had 3 new head coaches and OC's. Bust is way to harsh. Would or will he ever be a great QB who known (surely not any of the experts on this board) but he wasn't EVER given a fair chance. I just hope TE gets more than parts of 31 games to prove he is the man or sucks!

Licker!!!

Bill Cody
04-04-2008, 12:57 PM
I like Trent but if Matt Ryan was sitting there at 11 I think I'd have to pull the trigger. If TE turns out to make another good step forward and you decide you don't need Ryan, he'd still be worth a 1st rounder somewhere else IMO. I've seen Ryan play a bunch of times and IMO he's going to be a good player. Probably moot though he'll never get past Baltimore at 8.

justasportsfan
04-04-2008, 12:58 PM
I like Trent .
the truth shall finally set you free!!! Licker!!!

Mr. Miyagi
04-04-2008, 01:21 PM

A rookie who showed some promise.

Another guy who may never touch the field.

With all the other deficits on this team I will agree even though the QB is the most important.....we could deal with this position as is for a year.

But it still imho remains a? to date.

Then you have to throw in M Ryan vs Trend...and that is arguably a wash....then what do you do with trend?

Silly to draft one....but you usually want a rookie, a journymen, a nifty vet.

Difler, JP and Trend would be ideal.
By no means I'm saying we don't need to add a backup QB, but I want a vet like Dilfer or Brunell or somebody like that, certainly not a blue chipper rookie to come in and think he can "compete" for the job. Maybe a 4-5th rounder, okay.

Edwards indeed has not done enough to be a guarantee, but we need to give him a full go without him looking over his shoulders before we can determine whether he's the man or not. We gave the same chance to JP in 2006 and found that he wasn't the guy. Edwards needs the same chance.

Which leads back to my question, what has Jay Cutler done to not be questioned by everyone? Matt Schaub? Vince Young? Jason Campbell? Aaron Rodgers? Those on this board who throw the "TE has done nothing" please answer the same question about these other QBs, who ARE the undisputed QB on their teams. Why is that?

kgun12
04-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Which leads back to my question, what has Jay Cutler done to not be questioned by everyone? Matt Schaub? Vince Young? Jason Campbell? Aaron Rodgers? Those on this board who throw the "TE has done nothing" please answer the same question about these other QBs, who ARE the undisputed QB on their teams. Why is that?

Because these teams know a NFL QB is not made in a season or 2 and they undestand that and don't give a crap what the media or fans think. They will give them time to learn how to play the position in the NFL. Plus there has for the most part been a stable head coach with most of these team. Your question could also have been asked about TE as well as JP. Again remember JP went though 3 coaching changes and offenses.

Jan Reimers
04-04-2008, 01:36 PM
The last thing we should do, given our needs at WR, TE, CB and DE, is draft a QB in the 1st round. Trent has shown enough to be given a season to prove himself, and he will benefit from a better OC and improved receivers.

As will JP who, while despised by many here, is still a young QB with enough upside to keep for another year.

Why bring in another untested QB at this point?

PECKERWOOD
04-04-2008, 01:36 PM
Too bad Cam Cameron isn't still in Miami, the talking heads would be talking about the phins taking DeSean Jackson this year with the #1 overall pick! "DeSean is a good fine young man and he brings alot to our punt return game!"

Philagape
04-04-2008, 01:38 PM
I have said this before, JP had parts of 31 games, Bret F. played over 80 games before he got it! Seriously, the Packers fan hated him for most of those games...and BTW he had the same head coach for that whole time.

And the last time you said it, I showed that Favre got it long before that. He had a big year in his third season.

kgun12
04-04-2008, 01:39 PM
The last thing we should do, given our needs at WR, TE, CB and DE, is draft a QB in the 1st round. Trent has shown enough to be given a season to prove himself, and he will benefit from a better OC and improved receivers.

As will JP who, while despised by many here, is still a young QB with enough upside to keep for another year.

Why bring in another untested QB at this point?

Why not? They brought in TE last year even though JP made all the progress at the end of the 06 season. Remember he finish rated 11th in the league at the end of the season.

kgun12
04-04-2008, 01:41 PM
And the last time you said it, I showed that Favre got it long before that. He had a big year in his third season.

16 and 16 is 32, if my math is correct. So JP never got to get to his 3rd year! So what's your point?

Jan Reimers
04-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Why not? They brought in TE last year even though JP made all the progress at the end of the 06 season. Remember he finish rated 11th in the league at the end of the season.
Absolutely. And because of that, we now have the two best young QBs in the league, so there's no need to go for the trifecta.:bandwagon

justasportsfan
04-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Bretts 3rd year

1993 GNB 16 318 522 60.9 3303 6.3 19 66 24 72.2

JP Losman 3rd year

2006 BUF 16 268 429 62.5 3051 7.1 19 83 14 84.9

very comparable with Jp having a better qb rating with a dumber OC.

kgun12
04-04-2008, 01:48 PM
Absolutely. And because of that, we now have the two best young QBs in the league, so there's no need to go for the trifecta.:bandwagon

You know the old saying 3 heads are better than 2! :funny:

acehole
04-04-2008, 01:49 PM

I am in agreement with you...believe me. I did not want a jp/te thread. I like JP and his skill set. I was just making the piont of who is on our roster....some think he is a bust while other think he was short changed.

kgun12
04-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Bretts 3rd year

1993 GNB 16 318 522 60.9 3303 6.3 19 66 24 72.2

JP Losman 3rd year

2006 BUF 16 268 429 62.5 3051 7.1 19 83 14 84.9

very comparable with Jp having a better qb rating with a dumber OC.

Don't confuse things with facts justa! Jp couldn't have had better stats than Bret!

Jan Reimers
04-04-2008, 01:51 PM
I like both Trent and JP, hope they compete hard for the starting job, and the best man wins and has a great season.

I think that makes me neither a licker nor a hater, but a Bills' fan.

kgun12
04-04-2008, 01:52 PM
I am in agreement with you...believe me. I did not want a jp/te thread. I like JP and his skill set. I was just making the piont of who is on our roster....some think he is a bust while other think he was short changed.

I know just some folks hear see TE as the better QB and I say we will never know cause JP never had a chance to develop! I hope TE is the man, I just don't see it, but I'm not sure I saw it in JP.

justasportsfan
04-04-2008, 01:55 PM
I like both Trent and JP, hope they compete hard for the starting job, and the best man wins and has a great season.

I think that makes me neither a licker nor a hater, but a Bills' fan.

I know just some folks hear see TE as the better QB and I say we will never know cause JP never had a chance to develop! I hope TE is the man, I just don't see it, but I'm not sure I saw it in JP.
Ya'll are Lickers!!

feelthepain
04-04-2008, 01:57 PM
Too bad Cam Cameron isn't still in Miami, the talking heads would be talking about the phins taking DeSean Jackson this year with the #1 overall pick! "DeSean is a good fine young man and he brings alot to our punt return game!"

Look out Bills fans are playing Ms Cleo again!!

Bill Cody
04-04-2008, 02:03 PM
the truth shall finally set you free!!! Licker!!!

:lolhit:

justasportsfan
04-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Don't confuse things with facts justa! Jp couldn't have had better stats than Bret!
this is why Philagape put me on ignore. He can't hang with the big boys. :snicker:

kgun12
04-04-2008, 02:08 PM
this is why Philagape put me on ignore. He can't hang with the big boys. :snicker:

I guess I'll be next!

Philagape
04-04-2008, 03:19 PM
I guess I'll be next!

Nah, you're an adult, so you're good. :up:

justasportsfan
04-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Nah, you're an adult, so you're good. :up:
Translation: " I still can't hang with the big boys so I'll hide behind the ignore button and take jabs and then hit the ignore button again"

acehole
04-04-2008, 04:45 PM

I know...even though facts piont to one being better then the other. I also agree it was not a good situation for a young qb to do well. They did it right in denver and San diego and NYG....all of those qb's had what we did not here...I am sure there were some on those message boards calling for those guys heads...I know on NY radio they were very displeased with Eli and were declaring him a bust.....funny ...added boss and a reliable #2 wr.....a deffense that can stop the run and rush the passer...had some patients played to Eli's strenghts and you got a bowl win. Good thing some posters on this board run tractors and not NFL teams huh? This can be trents fate if they don't get some good people here...

jamze132
04-04-2008, 07:54 PM
I think half the time those guys just say things to rile people up.
No, those guys are really idiots.

jamze132
04-04-2008, 07:55 PM
There is no way in hell we draft a QB on Day 1. Take it to the bank and cash it in.

kgun12
04-04-2008, 09:11 PM
There is no way in hell we draft a QB on Day 1. Take it to the bank and cash it in.

I hope you are right!

jpdex12
04-04-2008, 09:32 PM
I've never really heard Carl Banks talk, but Randy Cross could very well be one of the stupidest football commentators around.

I hate Carl Banks from his Giant's days and I still can't stand the douche. He is so arrogant! Pompous ass!