PDA

View Full Version : Why we shouldn't draft a CB at #11...

jamze132
04-04-2008, 08:15 PM
What is everyone's fascination with drafting a CB in RD 1 this year? Is it really one of our biggest needs? I don't think so. I could think of 2-3 positions that are in greater need than CB.

With the defense that Fewell runs, awesome, super cool CBs are not needed. If our defense can generate pressure up front, it will make the secondary look great, this is no secret. it's just that certain people forget it from time to time. With the addition of Stroud and Johnson, and by getting rid of Tripplett, our D-line has improved.

A shutdown CB is hard to find and they are rather expensive. Unless we know we are getting Dion Sanders Jr at #11, we should just stay away and fill a bigger team need. There is no gaurantee that any pick will pan out but the way I see it, WR is more of a pressing need and we need to take the gamble there, not on the top CB coming out of college who will be very expensive and who isn't really needed with our scheme.

YardRat
04-04-2008, 08:33 PM
I think this draft, specifically the first round, is going to end up being a no-brainer just like last year with Lynch.

yordad
04-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Well, Kelly plans to run here shortly. I think it is the 9th. His agent sent memos to every team that Kelly was 100%. I think if he is, and he runs 4.45 or better, he is being grabbed at number 11.

But, that still doesn't change that fact that trading back would be a best case senerio.

And, DRC could be the next Deion Sanders. And, I thought we could use some help in the secondary when Moss scored 4 tds in a half against us.

DraftBoy
04-04-2008, 09:08 PM
I think this draft, specifically the first round, is going to end up being a no-brainer just like last year with Lynch.

Last year was far from a no brainer and some would contend taking Lynch so early last year may have been looking far too short sighted. Different discussion for a different day though.

jamze132
04-04-2008, 09:14 PM
And, DRC could be the next Deion Sanders. And, I thought we could use some help in the secondary when Moss scored 4 tds in a half against us.
Yeah, Brady and Moss really stunk it up against the rest of the NFL.

So you think we should draft DRC at #11?

yordad
04-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Yeah, Brady and Moss really stunk it up against the rest of the NFL.

So you think we should draft DRC at #11?If Kelly runs a 4.45 or better, it is Kelly or a trade back. I would not be too upset if the drafted a top CB though. Well, I would reserve judgment until at least the first day is over. Heck, they could get Kelly in the second for all we really know. Stranger things have happened.

Oh, and Moss didn't blow up everyone. Just look at our overall pass defense man.

ParanoidAndroid
04-05-2008, 12:24 AM
Our sack total is more representative of our poor pass defense than any perceived deficiency at CB. It is also of note that our FS was often out of position on top of the zone. If we need help anywhere on defense, it's at DE and FS. Greer looked pretty good in the second half of the season. What we need is depth at CB, not a starter. A first round CB, like the thread starter said, is expensive. I don't think we can afford to throw heavy resources at that position without making serious additions to the receiving corps and upgrading our pass rush capabilities.
There is another side to this story that I must include in order to be fair. One argument that can be put forward for drafting a shut-down corner is the pressence of Schobel. When Nate Clements was shutting down #1 receivers, he was getting high coverage sack totals. This year, he was asked to apply pressure which he has never really done on a consistent basis. So, a shut-down corner might increase our sack totals.
To conclude, even when Schobel was getting sacks, they never seemed to be at game changing moments or when we needed them most. Furthermore, even when our defense was #2, two years straight, interception totals were not very significant. A good pass rush generates mistakes by QB's and more interceptions.
I'll pass on a CB early and take a DE who can disrupt on a consistent basis. Either that or try to move down for extra picks and our #2 WR. If none of the above, then there is a debate. Take the WR anyway or take the BPA, even if it does not fill an immediate need? I say "reach" 5 for the WR.

Devin
04-05-2008, 03:27 AM
What is everyone's fascination with drafting a CB in RD 1 this year? Is it really one of our biggest needs? I don't think so. I could think of 2-3 positions that are in greater need than CB.

With the defense that Fewell runs, awesome, super cool CBs are not needed. If our defense can generate pressure up front, it will make the secondary look great, this is no secret. it's just that certain people forget it from time to time. With the addition of Stroud and Johnson, and by getting rid of Tripplett, our D-line has improved.

A shutdown CB is hard to find and they are rather expensive. Unless we know we are getting Dion Sanders Jr at #11, we should just stay away and fill a bigger team need. There is no gaurantee that any pick will pan out but the way I see it, WR is more of a pressing need and we need to take the gamble there, not on the top CB coming out of college who will be very expensive and who isn't really needed with our scheme.

I look at it from the flipside. We improved our line, we improved our LB starters I think we absolutley should go D round 1. Either DL or CB.

I'd LOVE to see us grab Harvey/Merling at DE.

This is a crazy deep draft at WR, getting one in the 2nd imo wont be an issue. In fact I could see us trading back into the 2nd not the first to get our WR AND TE.

Ive said all offseason improving our front 7 HAS to be a priority. Upgrading our DE spot opposite Schobel imo would be massive for us. It would give us a great rotational guy in Kelsay (which is what he should have always been) and allow us to dump/trade him next year.

As far as CB goes, DRC/McKelvin are great talents at the position. DRC has the frame you look for in a cover 2 CB. Great size and speed, apart adding maybe 5-7 pounds in bulk hed be a fantastic fit next to McGee.

Ultimatley while I hope for DE I suspect we will go elsewhere.

Historian
04-05-2008, 05:24 AM
I don't disagree with a DE, however, I don't think the Bills see it that way. I think they're happy with Schoebel and Kelsay.

My guess is that they feel that by plugging up the middle, it will free those guys up to make plays.

That's why I voted corner.

Plus WRs are a dime a dozen.

lordofgun
04-05-2008, 06:27 AM
By his 3rd year, Favre could already make throws other than a long bomb.

don137
04-05-2008, 07:56 AM
You know in a perfect scenerio Buffalo trades the #11 pick and its 4th or 5th rounder with Philly for their 1st round pick (#19) and Lito Shepard. They get a great WR and address their DB concerns.

Mahdi
04-05-2008, 08:00 AM
First of all the CB class is very deep so taking one in the first round is not necessary. Second of all its definitely not necessary for a cover 2 team. The Bills can get excellent cover 2 CBs in the third or even 4th round. Charles Godfrey is an example of a player I would like to see in round 4.

That being said I believe that the WR class has 3 really good ones and then there's a drop off. Kelly, Thomas, Sweed and then theres a drop off. IMO we have to have one of those 3 to ensure that we have a capable #2 WR for day one of the season. If we somehow do not take a WR and we go BPA, that player should be Derrick Harvey to upgrade the pass rush, which based on last year we absolutely need.

Night Train
04-05-2008, 10:40 AM
I like McKelvin & DRC but would completely understand if a WR was selected. Devin Thomas may be the most ready.

Just because I haven't become completely hypnotized :trance: by Malcolm Kelly or Limas Sweed is due to believeing their isn't that big of a difference between the top 3 guys and the next 12. I go by on field production & health, more than measurables.

CB are far tougher to come by and they don't see a 2nd contract here anymore. See Winfield & Clements. Plus you keep losing if you pass on a top 10 player to select #25 to fill a need.

jamze132
04-05-2008, 11:52 AM
I don't think we are going CB in RD1 due to our scheme and I highly doubt we are going DE since we already have a ****load of money tied up with Schobel and Kelsay. Unless Kelsay is released or traded prior to or on draft day, we should be taking WR at #11 or trading down. I say we stay put and have our pick at WR.

By the way, I seriosly doubt Kelsay is released...

HughC
04-05-2008, 12:19 PM
Just my opinion, but the key to good pass defense is a strong pass rush and not a great CB. Sure, a shut down corner can help create coverage sacks and take away another team's first option, but true shut down corners are extremely rare; in most cases almost any receiver will get open if he has enough time. A good pass rush can create hurried throws that result in three and outs even if they don't cause an interception. Putting the QB on the ground enough times will get inside a QB's head even if he does get the pass off; it has a cumulative effect that can totally disrupt an opponent's entire offense. With that in mind, I would say we should go for the best DL or LB that is available at #11. Then go for a CB and WR in the next two rounds.

bigbub2352
04-05-2008, 02:20 PM
In my opinion after the signing of James, and Scott we have much more glaring needs on the offense side of the ball, We will take a CB mid draft, or maybe in the 3rd, but i think any wat u size it up
We need to go WR TE, and FB all before the 5th round, then we are draftin players who can contribute now and even thou still developin also contributing

imagine coming out of this draft with THomas WR, Bennett TE, Schmitt at FB and a capable C in the 5th, while taking a space eater and a cb in the 3rd or with extra 4th or vice versa with a DT,

UPGRADES

PECKERWOOD
04-05-2008, 02:29 PM
CB may be a good option at 11 because there is a great chance that a CB will be BPA. I could see McKelvin or DRC dropping to us and in which case we need to pull the trigger. BTW, forget about our system, we still have Randy Moss and Laverneous Coles in our division.

Lefty2985
04-05-2008, 09:08 PM
with the addition of stoud upfront i believe the flashes mccargo was showing will increase being next to a player that demands two ppl to block him so the pass rush will be better so no need to go d-line. i like d. thomas a lot but i feel if dominique rogers-cromartie is there you have to take him. yes cover 2 prevents a big need for a top corner but he is extremely athletic and catches the football, which mcgee dropped a lot of potential ints. i think you have to. if he isnt there you must fill wr spot with thomas. but i would take cromartie first

buffalony85
04-06-2008, 12:45 AM
Why spend a 1st round pick on a cb that will play nickel the WHOLE YEAR!

YardRat
04-06-2008, 07:02 AM
Last year was far from a no brainer and some would contend taking Lynch so early last year may have been looking far too short sighted. Different discussion for a different day though.

Running back was, by far, the CW pick last year according to the members of this board...

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=2746

Considering Peterson, Okoye, and Willis were all off of the board before #12, I would say the pick of Lynch was the closest thing to a 'no-brainer' that you're going to get.

coastal
04-06-2008, 07:24 AM
To conclude, even when Schobel was getting sacks, they never seemed to be at game changing moments or when we needed them most.Truer words have never been spoken.

Buffalogic
04-06-2008, 10:43 AM
An unexpected player we thought would be a lock for the top 10 will be available to us at number 11. We could be surprised if they draft a different position than most of us expect, but we should get good value with our number 11 pick.

YardRat
04-06-2008, 10:47 AM
An unexpected player we thought would be a lock for the top 10 will be available to us at number 11. We could be surprised if they draft a different position than most of us expect, but we should get good value with our number 11 pick.

I think that player is going to be a d-lineman.

I still think we go WR, though.