PDA

View Full Version : Head 2 Head.. Kelly vs Thomas

patmoran2006
04-05-2008, 10:15 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7982020/Head-2-Head:-Kelly-vs.-Thomas

By far the best insight and scouting report I've seen on these guys. I'll tell you what. I like them both. I'd be extremely happy if either of them is our pick. Both would upgrade our offense. I personally still prefer Kelly, but if we took Thomas I won't be complaining. Either would be a great addition in the first round, period.

patmoran2006
04-05-2008, 10:58 AM
All this debate about the two..

I'd like to hear some comments

coastal
04-05-2008, 11:04 AM
Devin Thomas is a future Pro-Bowler.

Malcolm Kelly sucks.

Jaybird
04-05-2008, 11:10 AM
thomas reminds me of eric moulds...... the size and the speed. Moulds was also a return man coming into the nfl.

It is very difficult judging WR.... look how first round guys haven't worked out at the NFL level, charles rogers, troy edwards, reggie williams, and the heisman winner from michigan ( cant remember his name), to name a few. If we do make the move and draft one of these guys, i hope we end up with the guy who wants it more.

DrGraves
04-05-2008, 11:57 AM
lets take our cb/de or whatever and then grab sweed. i think he'll pan out better than kelly or thomas anyways

Philagape
04-05-2008, 12:11 PM
thomas reminds me of eric moulds...... the size and the speed. Moulds was also a return man coming into the nfl.

It is very difficult judging WR.... look how first round guys haven't worked out at the NFL level, charles rogers, troy edwards, reggie williams, and the heisman winner from michigan ( cant remember his name), to name a few. If we do make the move and draft one of these guys, i hope we end up with the guy who wants it more.

That's why I hope we pick the guy who has the best intangibles ... intelligence, coachability, work ethic. Physical gifts are a given, but that's the difference between a hit and a bust.

jamze132
04-05-2008, 12:15 PM

Malcolm Kelly sucks.
Very insightful, thanks...

yordad
04-05-2008, 12:20 PM
I like Kelly more of the two.

MikeInRoch
04-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Heh, I first saw the thread title, and thought it was a debate about the best Bill of all time...

YardRat
04-05-2008, 12:48 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7982020/Head-2-Head:-Kelly-vs.-Thomas

By far the best insight and scouting report I've seen on these guys. I'll tell you what. I like them both. I'd be extremely happy if either of them is our pick. Both would upgrade our offense. I personally still prefer Kelly, but if we took Thomas I won't be complaining. Either would be a great addition in the first round, period.

You're going to be pissed if we go CB, DE, or DT in the first, aren't you?

jpdex12
04-05-2008, 01:25 PM

Malcolm Kelly sucks.

Honestly, why bother? Back it up. Share some knowledge as to why Kelly sucks and Thomas is so superior.

I think that they will both be special players, but what Kelly can hang his hat on is the fact that he has had decent stats for more than one year. Being 2" taller doesn't hurt either. If we get either of them I will be happy.

PECKERWOOD
04-05-2008, 02:26 PM
I want Devin Thomas over Malcolm Kelly, hands down. Thomas has way more potential, he has no injury concerns, he is very physical and he has great speed. If we decide to go with WR at #11, I hope that Thomas is our man.

L.A. Playa
04-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Unless they are drafting a WR at #11 to be the #1 guy and letting Evans walk next year, I dont see an advantage of taking a WR that high to be a #2 guy.

Look how well that has worked out in Detroit, trading down which may not be an option or going to another position taht you could upgrade at seems to be the better option to me

X-Era
04-05-2008, 03:46 PM

Malcolm Kelly sucks.
Nice job throwing out the bait... Im not biting

BTW, your posts "suck"

X-Era
04-05-2008, 03:49 PM
You're going to be pissed if we go CB, DE, or DT in the first, aren't you?

I wont. This team needs a few stars. If a guy with star potential drops to us at one or our lesser needs, and we take him. Fantastic. Smart teams do this.

If we go ahead and draft for a need, even if we reach by 10 picks or so, Im still OK and I think its a sound move.

coastal
04-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Honestly, why bother? Back it up. Share some knowledge as to why Kelly sucks and Thomas is so superior.

I think that they will both be special players, but what Kelly can hang his hat on is the fact that he has had decent stats for more than one year. Being 2" taller doesn't hurt either. If we get either of them I will be happy.Once a coach figured out what they had in Thomas... they turned him loose and dude was basically unstoppable.

He's physical, talented, has wicked field vision and has not yet even glossed the surface of his potential.

If Thomas has the work ethic to match he could be one of the games greats in 2 or 3 years.

Malcolm Kelly is going to be an NFL obscurity in the same amount of time.

TigerJ
04-05-2008, 03:59 PM

I think Moulds came out of college running in the neighborhood of 4.5 in the 40. I'm not sure if he was a full 6'2." Thomas has at least marginally better measurables, but he's also the physical receiver that Moulds was, and is said to have great hands. You are right in that great measurables, a great college career and being drafted high do not a successful NFL career make, but neither do those factors guarantee a successful career for a cornerback or a defensive end either.

X-Era
04-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Once a coach figured out what they had in Thomas... they turned him loose and dude was basically unstoppable.

He's physical, talented, has wicked field vision and has not yet even glossed the surface of his potential.

If Thomas has the work ethic to match he could be one of the games greats in 2 or 3 years.

Malcolm Kelly is going to be an NFL obscurity in the same amount of time.

Translation: Im hell bent on one player, thats it, and if we pick anyone else, I might change my name to Harry Carey... :rolleyes:

coastal
04-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Im not bitingSure your not.

patmoran2006
04-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Unless they are drafting a WR at #11 to be the #1 guy and letting Evans walk next year, I dont see an advantage of taking a WR that high to be a #2 guy.

Look how well that has worked out in Detroit, trading down which may not be an option or going to another position taht you could upgrade at seems to be the better option to me
I dont agree with that.

Look at what a dynamic #2 did for NE in Wes Welker.

And frankly, some teams dont even have "1 or 2" WR's. When healthy, is there really a difference with Harrison and Wayne in Indy.. Or Johnson (when he's not talking ****) and TJ in Cinci?

Value wise and need wise, I think Kelly or Thomas are the best pick.

Lefty2985
04-05-2008, 08:58 PM
I think thomas is the better option for us. coming from michigan he is use to the cold and he plays the game faster then kelly. wouldnt complain either way

X-Era
04-06-2008, 08:06 AM

So, I think the Bills will quietly think long and hard about the possibility of losing Evans. I think that weighs into what they do on draft day. If they take a WR at 11, I do think they would be optimistic that that player would become a #1 at some point.

Trading down is an option. I just dont see that we need a ton of draft picks. Why do it? Is it to align the slot we pick at with where a player ranks such as WR? Thats a pretty risky game.

What happens if we move down and the guy we really want to draft is snatched up before he drops to us?

I dont see the "loss" in drafting a guy 10 picks too high. The Bills will make their own board. Many may feel that theres no WR worth the 11 pick, but maybe the Bills dont. Again, if the Bills are sitting at 11, they have their top WR prospect ranked at say 15 or 20, and no other player they really like at CB, etc... Why the hell not draft what you want?

Its more money, but we are so far under the cap, who cares.

ddaryl
04-06-2008, 11:14 AM

Think about the situation

1.) Evans has not singed an extension, and unless he does before the draft we have NO choice but to have a replacement ready.

2.) We need a #2 WR who can ste in ASAP. The later we draft a WR the more time it will take to groom that WR. A 1st rd WR would transition into a solid #2 faster then a 2nd or 3rd WR IMHO...

3.) We need a tall depednable red zone target. All of the tall WR's that could step into that roll for us in their rookie year will more then likely be gone by our 2nd rd pick.

As for Thomas vs: Kelly.

If Kelly get a clean bill of health and does real good at his pro day it is without a doubt Kelly. Kelly's hands and height are phenominal. Thomas is faster, and has good hands, but watching Kelly's highlight video, he has superior hands and it taller... which is what we want.

bigbub2352
04-06-2008, 11:26 AM
i think the injury concerns alon about Kelly make him not the best bet, DThomas is the combination of size and speed we need, he is 6ft 2 218lbs and runs a 4.4. that is andre johnson type numbers, I like Kelly alot, but i think we reach and get this kid with boat loads of potential, or trade down a few spots and take him, then u can always go after Monk or Purify, or Hubbard in rds 5 and up

D THOMAS AT 11

jimbohastle51
04-06-2008, 12:30 PM
in terms of stats through college and playmaking ability you have to take kelly. i mean i know that YAC is thomas strong point but kelly will make a one handed grab over the middle shake 2 defenders and take it to the house week in and week out and he did that sort of stuff his whole career at OU but thomas had a great junior season last year but besides that he was an unknown. he is only 6'1 so he is not the tall reciever we are looking for he is only 2-3 inchs taller than lee evens, but he does bring return ability which we do need with mcgee consintrating more on defense this year. i think we draft kelly if we go rieciever at 11(they are really high on him and he is a very high charecter person) i just think thomas is too much of an unknown and truthfully though he doubles as a nice wide reciever prospect and a killer return man, the dolphins took same kind of prospect at 10 last year and we all saw how well ted ginn did for them, and they are both big ten, 6;1-6;2 somewhere in there and around the same weight and both had great production there last year in college. we cant afford to have that kind of mistake.

Tatonka
04-07-2008, 07:47 AM

I think that they will both be special players, but what Kelly can hang his hat on is the fact that he has had decent stats for more than one year. Being 2" taller doesn't hurt either. If we get either of them I will be happy.

actually, kelly's STATS arent really that impressive. but i think with him, you can see ability and intangibles. He was on a run heavy offense, but the guy never broke 1000 yards and got dinged up several times.