PDA

View Full Version : coastal's final All-Bills mock draft

coastal
04-06-2008, 09:19 AM
Round 1. - Devin Thomas, WR - Yardie recently opined that the Bills pick, like last year's, is a relative no-brainer. I tend to agree. I think Devin Thomas has the potential to be a combination of Eric Moulds power and ball skills coupled with Andre Reeds run after the catch ability. The only monkey wrench to this plan is if the Bengals select Devin. If they do, then look for the Bills to select Derrick Harvey.

Round 2 - Antoine Cason, CB Arizona - A pure Tampa 2 cover corner if there was ever one. He'd be worth dumping our 4th round pick to jump up like we did last year to get Poz. He'd start immediately.

Round 3 - Tyrell Johnson, S Arkansas State - It will be interesting to see if he spends anytime at SS with the first unit during training camp. If you see it early, look for Donte to make a permanent move to FS and become an instant pro-bowler.

Round 4 - Jerome Simpson, WR Coastal Carolina - I would be ecstatic about having Jerome and Devin drafted together. Trent would have a good young nucleus of play makers to take advantage of for the next 4-5 years.

Round 4 (comp) - Darrell Robertson, DE Georgia Tech - He needs some coaching and strength work but has the potential to be a starter on the edge.

Round 5 Mike Gibson, G Cal - Time to restock the depth on the oline and Mike is a good place to start.

Round 6 - Fernando Valasco, C Georgia - If he has the smarts, he has the ability to take over for Melvin as early as next year. Fernando has supreme power and would solidify the middle of our line.

Round 7a - Joey Haynos, TE Maryland

Round 7b - Matt Flynn, QB LSU

Round 7c - Josh Sitton, OT UCF

DraftBoy
04-06-2008, 09:30 AM
Round 1. - Devin Thomas, WR - Yardie recently opined that the Bills pick, like last year's, is a relative no-brainer. I tend to agree. I think Devin Thomas has the potential to be a combination of Eric Moulds power and ball skills coupled with Andre Reeds run after the catch ability. The only monkey wrench to this plan is if the Bengals select Devin. If they do, then look for the Bills to select Derrick Harvey.

Round 2 - Antoine Cason, CB Arizona - A pure Tampa 2 cover corner if there was ever one. He'd be worth dumping our 4th round pick to jump up like we did last year to get Poz. He'd start immediately.

Round 3 - Tyrell Johnson, S Arkansas State - It will be interesting to see if he spends anytime at SS with the first unit during training camp. If you see it early, look for Donte to make a permanent move to FS and become an instant pro-bowler.

Round 4 - Jerome Simpson, WR Coastal Carolina - I would be ecstatic about having Jerome and Devin drafted together. Trent would have a good young nucleus of player makers to take advatnage of for the next 4-5 years.

Round 4 (comp) - Darrell Robertson, DE Georgia Tech - He needs some coaching and strength work but has the potential to be a starter on the edge.

Round 5 Mike Gibson, G Cal - Time to restock the depth on the oline and Mike is a good place to start.

Round 6 - Fernando Valasco, C Georgia - If he has the smarts, he has the ability to take over for Melvin as early as next year. Fernando has supreme power and would solidify the middle of our line.

I like the first two picks a lot.

Johnson is a luxury pick we can't afford and I dont understand the logic of moving Whitner to FS when he's not a CF playmaker. At the very least Simpson is and why are we suddenly benching him? Id be up for moving Whitner to CB where I think he could play very well.

I dont see Simpson being there in Round 4 he's been moving up Draft Boards since the all-star games and he's a 3rd Round pick imo right now.

Robertson is an intriguing pick because of his size and skill, but he never put it all together at Tech and that bothers me. Id rather wait a round and take DE Tommy Blake who has 1st Round talent, and finally has his anxiety under control.

So many other OG's like Eric Young, Jordan Grimes, Shannon Trevaga that are these real road grading OG's that will pave the way for Lynch, Id much prefer them to Gibson.

Not a bad pick in Velasco at all but he can be had in the 7th, so I think you reached for him.

Haynos is an interesting pick who could really develop into something good, but to wait this long to fill arguably our biggest hole??

Flynn is a horrible pick imo, he has no upside and we need to draft a guy who we can maybe develop should Trent not be the guy. A pick of Ricky Santos, Brad Roach, Kyle Spotts, or Adam Tarfalis are better picks.

A project OT with good measurables, Id rather go DB here, maybe take Derrick Huff out of Eastern Kentucky, he's got good size and led FCS in INT's last season with 9.

coastal
04-06-2008, 09:51 AM
I'd give up my fascination with Johnson if we had to give up our 4th in order to move up and get Cason.

Drafting Jerome Simpson in the 3rd would help alleviate that sting as well.

I don't see that much difference between 6th and 7th round picks... so Fernando isn't a reach especially with the power he has. He's a pure system fit for us.

Flynn is never going to be a starter in this league. We aren't drafting a starter in the 7th. We're drafting a 3rd stringer who has a chance of becoming a backup. Flynn is that guy.

DraftBoy
04-06-2008, 09:56 AM
I'd give up my fascination with Johnson if we had to give up our 4th in order to move up and get Cason.

Drafting Jerome Simpson in the 3rd would help alleviate that sting as well.

I don't see that much difference between 6th and 7th round picks... so Fernando isn't a reach especially with the power he has. He's a pure system fit for us.

Flynn is never going to be a starter in this league. We aren't drafting a starter in the 7th. We're drafting a 3rd stringer who has a chance of becoming a backup. Flynn is that guy.
We shouldn't move up for Cason at all imo, if he's gone he's gone too many other good CB's avail in the next three rounds to move up for Cason.

You dont see a difference? Im completely confused by this. We can get Velasco in the 7th, so why do you advocate taking him in Rd 6??

Im never ok with drafting backups for the sake of drafting backups. Flynn has no upside, wh not take a guy who has some upside?

gr8slayer
04-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Good job coastal.

coastal
04-06-2008, 10:11 AM
The reason that Cason is worth trading up for is that he is more ready to start than any of the so-called big three at the position.

Cason steps in immediately as a starter.

That's huge for us.

No difference between the 6th and 7th round? Of course there isn't. Read your trade value charts if you don't believe me.

I'm telling you... if Fernando has a head on his shoulders, he will be more than just a starter in this league.

DraftBoy
04-06-2008, 10:17 AM
The reason that Cason is worth trading up for is that he is more ready to start than any of the so-called big three at the position.

Cason steps in immediately as a starter.

That's huge for us.

No difference between the 6th and 7th round? Of course there isn't. Read your trade value charts if you don't believe me.

I'm telling you... if Fernando has a head on his shoulders, he will be more than just a starter in this league.

There is a huge difference between a 6th and 7th Round pick. I dont see the logic in ever reaching for a player in any round given how valuable each pick is. I agree though that Velasco could be a good starting OC in this league.

cookie G
04-06-2008, 12:39 PM

Round 4 - Jerome Simpson, WR Coastal Carolina - I would be ecstatic about having Jerome and Devin drafted together. Trent would have a good young nucleus of play makers to take advantage of for the next 4-5 years.

Didn't we just spend 3 out of our first 4 picks on DB's just 2 years ago?

Now you're talking about 2 out of the first 3 (3 out of 4 if you count the trade) [i]again[i/]?

All for a zone defense?

Ya lost me with this one, Coastal.

PECKERWOOD
04-06-2008, 03:35 PM
I like the 1st, 2nd and 4th pick alot. Your 3rd round choice was horrible, as I think we should grab a TE there because I would hate to see Teyo or Courtney start at TE for us.. :ill: Carlson or Rucker in the 3rd and I would like this draft alot! :up:

PECKERWOOD
04-06-2008, 03:37 PM
There is a huge difference between a 6th and 7th Round pick. I dont see the logic in ever reaching for a player in any round given how valuable each pick is. I agree though that Velasco could be a good starting OC in this league.

How about that QB from Tennessee instead of Flynn? :D

TigerJ
04-06-2008, 03:52 PM
I don't want to wait until the seventh round to address tight end. Maybe when Simpson goes to someone else in round three we can draft Jermichael Findley in the fourth and pick up the best remaining WR in the seventh where you have Haynos going.

X-Era
04-06-2008, 08:41 PM

Rounds 1 and 4 I agree with.

But skipping TE until the 7th is a mistake IMO. I like Simpson at WR and would be happy with him, but there are more polished receivers that could be had there.

Don't Panic
04-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Love the Cason pick... he is the ideal CB of this bunch for the Cover 2.