How I think the Bills make the playoffs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

How I think the Bills make the playoffs!

I believe that controlling your own destiny is always the best way but I think the Bills have a shot with some help:

1) The division is alot weaker and the Pats are prime for a drop off. If we can split with NE I think we can at least garner a wild card spot. Miami and the Jets will still be very bad this year.

2) I think the O-line will continue to improve and hopefully we will have some healthy depth to help out.

3) The Bills have to get some WR help. I believe that we will still bring in a veteran when all is said and done.

4) Fred Jackson is a key to this offense. I actually believe that he will be on the field with Lynch at the same time this year. The guy has talent and he will be an integral part of the offense. I will get a ton of flack over this one but I really believe this.

5) MOMENTUM!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a young team that had alot of injuries last year. This team believes that it can win. We have to win games early. Once this team has a 3-1 or 4-2 record I believe they will play above there talent. When was the last time the Bills had a winning record after 6 or 7 games???
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

Re: How I think the Bills make the playoffs!

i think the biggest two keys to the offensive success are the tight end and throwing the ball to lynch.

we heard all this bull**** last year about how sweet lynch's hands were and he flashed it plenty, but 18 catches? are you serious? if i was the head coach, i would tell Turk that if Lynch didn't catch 50-60 passes this year, he was going to get fired.

the tight end is also huge. Trent clearly loves throwing the underneath stuff and dump offs when the heat is coming. He is very good at it.. so he needs as many weapons as he can get that will allow that type of game to be productive..

they are also clearly going to use a 3 step drops more, which will emphasize this even more.

so with lynch (and jackson) used correctly in the passing game, and an actual tight end that is even remotely above average, i think the offense will look tons better. we need to see 125 to 150 catches between lynch, jackson, and the TE position this season. if we do, the offense wont be the reason we miss the playoffs. thats for sure.
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
      I believe that controlling your own destiny is always the best way but I think the Bills have a shot with some help:

1) The division is alot weaker and the Pats are prime for a drop off. If we can split with NE I think we can at least garner a wild card spot. Miami and the Jets will still be very bad this year.
      I hope New England crashes and burns this year, big-time. They'll probably still win the division, though. The disparity between the Bills, Jets, and Dolphins isn't as great as some would like to think. Don't be surprised if it's a dogfight for second place.

2) I think the O-line will continue to improve and hopefully we will have some healthy depth to help out.
      They better be dominant this year...Almost a full season together, and going into camp with the same five guys two years in a row. Fowler still concerns me in the middle.

3) The Bills have to get some WR help. I believe that we will still bring in a veteran when all is said and done.
      I hope you are right...I'd kill for another late acquisition a la James Lofton.

4) Fred Jackson is a key to this offense. I actually believe that he will be on the field with Lynch at the same time this year. The guy has talent and he will be an integral part of the offense. I will get a ton of flack over this one but I really believe this.
      I don't see it, especially with the re-insertion of a fullback into the line-up.

5) MOMENTUM!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a young team that had alot of injuries last year. This team believes that it can win. We have to win games early. Once this team has a 3-1 or 4-2 record I believe they will play above there talent. When was the last time the Bills had a winning record after 6 or 7 games???
      The first month of the season, once again, is key. This starting slow out of the gate **** has to come to an end if we have any playoff hopes at all.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Tatonka
        i think the biggest two keys to the offensive success are the tight end and throwing the ball to lynch.

we heard all this bull**** last year about how sweet lynch's hands were and he flashed it plenty, but 18 catches? are you serious? if i was the head coach, i would tell Turk that if Lynch didn't catch 50-60 passes this year, he was going to get fired.

the tight end is also huge. Trent clearly loves throwing the underneath stuff and dump offs when the heat is coming. He is very good at it.. so he needs as many weapons as he can get that will allow that type of game to be productive..

they are also clearly going to use a 3 step drops more, which will emphasize this even more.

so with lynch (and jackson) used correctly in the passing game, and an actual tight end that is even remotely above average, i think the offense will look tons better. we need to see 125 to 150 catches between lynch, jackson, and the TE position this season. if we do, the offense wont be the reason we miss the playoffs. thats for sure.
        I agree, but if the emphasis is going to be on a three-step drop that's going to pretty much take the RB's out of the passing game to a certain point, unless they line up wide in a spread after coming out of the backfield.

Lynch would be more effective if the drops were deeper and he was a safety valve or ran delayed routes out of the backfield.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Tatonka
          • Jul 2002

im sorry i didnt clarify that.. lynch should go in motion and get to the slot alot. it is a mismatch no matter how you cut it.. lynch vs. any lb is to our advantage.
          "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

The SINGLE BIGGEST determing factor on if the Bills could be a playoff team comes down to what it always comes down to on this kind of team.

QUARTERBACK PLAY

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• raphael120
              Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
              • Oct 2005

Well I'll tell you one thing. It's getting to the point where it's not like we're lacking talent. We have a pro bowl LT, our RG, RT are solid. Our RB is most likely a top 10 RB, our WR SHOULD BE a top 10 WR this season, and with a nice rookie WR to compliment him, and a nice rookie TE, we should have a very talented, albiet young, offense.

Our defense has young pieces and plenty of experienced backups. One thing Im not sold on, and as I think about it more and more, I feel less and less enthused about the Kawika Mitchell signing, sure he's going to be better than Ellison, but I think the question remains...was Mitchell a product of the system in NY or is Mitchell the product of his own good play? We'll find out soon.

We have a nice blending of veteran presence, talent, and leadership with skillful, young playmakers on defense, and that's a good equasion. As far as our offense though, it may take at least half the season for us to expect good things out of as it's looking like more and more our playmaking abilities will be relying on a 2nd year QB and RB, and a rookie WR and TE. I have all the confidence in the world that Trent is going to play smart football and I think we'll see a whole new look to our offense this season...notice how when Trent was in and we were moving the ball how different it looked from the JP offense of scrambling around and missing open WR's? I think we're going to see some new Bills football on offense and I hope it's productive...we've had to sit and watch some of the most boring offense in the league the past few years so it's not like we can go anywhere but up from here.

Lets go Buffalo!

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                Peterman Sucks!
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                The SINGLE BIGGEST determing factor on if the Bills could be a playoff team comes down to what it always comes down to on this kind of team.

QUARTERBACK PLAY
                I'll expand on that....but it is basically the crux of the argument.

We are a viable playoff contender with adequate QB play.

If we can sustain drives, put points on the board, the improved defense should be able to not become gashed late in games.

However, if we can't control clock, can't sustain drives, can't score...even though our D is much improved...they will wear down and tire at the end of games and we have no shot.

Comment

• feelthepain
                  All-Pro Zoner
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by HHURRICANE

I think the Bills need a lot of help to even think about the playoffs. I would really love to know why it is Bill fans think their team is better then the Jets and Dolphins. It's not like the Bills have been a wildcard team each of the last three seasons, infact the oposite is true, the Bills have the longest playoff drought in the division.

The Jets and Dolphins have made significant changes to their lineups while the Bills have made few. Bill fans will tell everyone how there team is improving even during a bad season while everyone else just stinks. Poor logic, I'd say at this point anything could happen and the Jets have the best shot at second this year in the AFC east not the Bills.

I see nothing wrong with being hopeful and optimistic, but the Bills have as many question marks as any team in the division. I don't understand why the Bills question marks make them a playoff prospect and the Jets and Dolphins "will be very bad". This is nothing more then wishful thinking on Bills fan part and if you were the least bit honest with this thread you'd put all three teams in the same boat.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by feelthepain
                    I think the Bills need a lot of help to even think about the playoffs. I would really love to know why it is Bill fans think their team is better then the Jets and Dolphins. It's not like the Bills have been a wildcard team each of the last three seasons, infact the oposite is true, the Bills have the longest playoff drought in the division.

The Jets and Dolphins have made significant changes to their lineups while the Bills have made few. Bill fans will tell everyone how there team is improving even during a bad season while everyone else just stinks. Poor logic, I'd say at this point anything could happen and the Jets have the best shot at second this year in the AFC east not the Bills.

I see nothing wrong with being hopeful and optimistic, but the Bills have as many question marks as any team in the division. I don't understand why the Bills question marks make them a playoff prospect and the Jets and Dolphins "will be very bad". This is nothing more then wishful thinking on Bills fan part and if you were the least bit honest with this thread you'd put all three teams in the same boat.

Comment

• hydro
                      • Oct 2005

So a team is going to go from 1-15 to a competitor of the Bills (7-9) in one year?
                      BERNIAC!

Comment

• feelthepain
                        All-Pro Zoner
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by hydrosmak
                        So a team is going to go from 1-15 to a competitor of the Bills (7-9) in one year?

Well lets use this same logic, a team going from 7-9 to a competitor of the Pats 16-0 in one year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• feelthepain
                          All-Pro Zoner
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
                          Pretty much how most feel about the Bills being a playoff team.

Comment

• hydro
                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by feelthepain
                            Well lets use this same logic, a team going from 7-9 to a competitor of the Pats 16-0 in one year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            I never expressed that logic so you are barking up the wrong tree...
                            BERNIAC!

Comment

• Lexwhat
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by YardRat
                              I hope New England crashes and burns this year, big-time. They'll probably still win the division, though. The disparity between the Bills, Jets, and Dolphins isn't as great as some would like to think. Don't be surprised if it's a dogfight for second place.

They better be dominant this year...Almost a full season together, and going into camp with the same five guys two years in a row. Fowler still concerns me in the middle.

I hope you are right...I'd kill for another late acquisition a la James Lofton.

I don't see it, especially with the re-insertion of a fullback into the line-up.

The first month of the season, once again, is key. This starting slow out of the gate **** has to come to an end if we have any playoff hopes at all.
                              I agree with most of what you said, but not the 1st part.

The disparity isn't as great as some people think? I strongly disagree. The Pats had more wins last year than the Bills, Jets, and Dolphins COMBINED.

We can draft great, as can the Dolphins and Jets. But the Pats still have Belicheat and Pioli, as well as Brady and Moss. They also have the #7 overall pick in the draft.

Honestly, I don't think they will finish 16-0 again, but I do think they will sweep the division. IMHO, we're just not good enough to beat the Pats.

Comment

Working...
                              X