PDA

View Full Version : Bills May Look to Add Return Threat in Draft

YardRat
04-06-2008, 11:55 AM
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/story/2008/4/6/83840/73414

Troy CB Leodis McKelvin - widely regarded as the top cornerback prospect in this year's draft, McKelvin is probably the most explosive return threat available this year outside of the Jones/Johnson combo at running back. Buffalo would need to acquire him at pick 11 to get him, but he could play a role similar to what McGee played early in his career - sub-package corner and starting kick returner.

Michigan State WR Devin Thomas - arguably the best receiver available this season, Thomas averaged over 30 yards per return last season at Michigan State, a year in which he amassed over 2,500 all-purpose yards. He has the type of acceleration and open-field ability that all the great return threats have. Buffalo would need to nab him in the first, and he may end up a starting receiver here, so asking him to pull double duty as a rookie could be a stretch.

Penn State CB Justin King - no, King did not return kicks in college very often. However, the underrated corner prospect has freakish athletic ability (he ran a 4.31 40) and with a little coaching could be one of the best return threats in the league. King is a second-round prospect that could fit into a Cover 2 defense, so he's an intriguing early-round option for Buffalo.

Virginia Tech WR Eddie Royal - Buffalo needs to draft a receiver, but Royal may not fit the bill. Royal has great speed, but is only 5'10", so the Bills may view him as a bit too small to draft. However, Royal comes from a VT program that prides itself on playing great special teams, and his 4.39 speed would make him a solid return threat as a rookie.

Connecticut CB Tyvon Branch - Branch is probably my favorite prospect in this year's draft when it comes to kick returns. Branch pumped a 4.31-second 40 at the Combine, and his corner skills are perfectly suited for a Cover 2 defense. He's an excellent athlete and a team leader, and he provided UConn many short fields with his kick return abilities. He'd be a fantastic addition for the Bills, possibly as early as the second round.

West Virginia RB Steve Slaton - one of the most productive running backs to ever play college football, Slaton's draft stock is sliding due to poor measurables at the NFL level. After scoring 50 career rushing touchdowns at WVU, Slaton is looking at a third down back/return role in the NFL. He has some wear on his tires, but not enough to realize that he would be a fantastic complement to Marshawn Lynch in the backfield and one of the best return threats in the NFL. Plus, he may only require a fifth-round pick to draft.

LA-Monroe RB Calvin Dawson - Dawson is a small-school, late-round draft prospect that has "third down back" written all over him. However, he has the necessary speed and shiftiness to be a solid return man, and he could develop into a nice complement to Buffalo's physical-oriented RB trio of Lynch, Fred Jackson and Dwayne Wright. He'd be a nice bargain draft prospect for the Bills to use one of their three seventh-round picks on.

more cowbell
04-06-2008, 11:57 AM
please draft steve slaton

DraftBoy
04-06-2008, 12:05 PM
Blah blah blah, none of those guys should be who we take to be a RS. Instead it should be RS Jayson Foster out of Georgia Southern.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=25747

He's small at 5'7 but runs the 40 in under 4.3 and is strong for his size. Could be had in Rd 7 or as a UDFA.

FlyingDutchman
04-06-2008, 12:29 PM
Draftboy, I have a question, and Im not trying to be an ass. What exactly makes you so qualified to always dismiss mock drafts and experts analysis as garbage. Why is every "expert" an idiot in your eyes, but you have it all figured out? Im not calling this guy an expert, but you seem to feel you know better than 90% of sports writers, or real draft analysist

YardRat
04-06-2008, 12:54 PM
I'm really in favor of getting somebody else in here to return KO's and let McGee concentrate on corner, OR getting a different starter at CB, moving McGee to nickel and letting him continue to return kicks full-time.

He can't do them both effectively over the course of an entire season.

cookie G
04-06-2008, 12:58 PM
Jordy averaged 52.8 yards on punt returns last year. :)

bigbub2352
04-06-2008, 01:06 PM
Branch from conneticut the bills met with and fits the bill on were i think we should take a cb in this years draft, wouldnt mind that speed, plus why cant Parrish return kicks too, he did in college, and cant see why he wouldnt excel at it

Would luv to draft slaton too on the second day, but i think we are good at rb, i think we mite look hard at the local kid from MSU, that played RB but is gonna switch to FB, he could be had for a 6th, possible 7th or even UDFA, and he is 6ft 255lbs, had a whole bunch of TDs and would be very effective in the red zone

Mr. Miyagi
04-06-2008, 01:55 PM
We already have Roscoe Parrish. Why would we need another return threat?

DraftBoy
04-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Draftboy, I have a question, and Im not trying to be an ass. What exactly makes you so qualified to always dismiss mock drafts and experts analysis as garbage. Why is every "expert" an idiot in your eyes, but you have it all figured out? Im not calling this guy an expert, but you seem to feel you know better than 90% of sports writers, or real draft analysist
Nothing makes me qualified and nobody said I was. However I do have an opinion this and Im going to voice it. If I disagree Im going to state it. Just because some expert says it, doesnt make it true and I am free just as you are to disagree.

YardRat
04-06-2008, 02:59 PM

We return KO's too, Miyagi. Do you take a piss break every time the other team scores and miss those?

X-Era
04-06-2008, 03:23 PM

DB, sorry man, you did kind of ask for it.

That said, anyone who puts in as much work FOR FREE to provide you the high quality draft info found in the scouting zone, and elsewhere around here deserves a bit of latitude dont you think?

No one is an expert. That just doesnt exist. The teams make the choices, not the so called experts.

X-Era
04-06-2008, 03:28 PM

Hmmm....

I have to wonder if the Bills are starting to worry a bit about having players who play fairly large roles as starters, or in the games as their return men. If McGee gets injured on ST or Parrish for that matter, it puts a hamper on what we can do on BOTH fronts.

The flip side is that you dont want to get a guy who can ONLY play ST's as a returner and cant be a siginificant part of your O or D. Thats why guys like Branch, Royal, etc... seem to make some sense.

Parrish is great on punt returns, maybe we want to have McGee focus on just one thing and get a new KR.

Royal is my favorite. But, his smallish size just doesnt fit for what were trying to do on O. I think hes gonna be a good player in the NFL and not just on ST. But, since we want size, he just doesnt seem to fit.

PECKERWOOD
04-06-2008, 03:39 PM
Let's trade up to #9 and take Desean Jackson! (sorry, I know my Ted Ginn Jr. jokes are getting old, I can't help it! )