Is it just me or does this annoy anyone else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Is it just me or does this annoy anyone else?

Three for three. Imperfection. Good enough to get there. Not good enough to win there.
    UCLA has become the Buffalo Bills of college basketball, Ben Howland the Marv Levy of his sport.

The Bills made it to four straight Super Bowls and failed to win any.

Now the Bruins have gone to three straight Final Fours and failed to win any.

"It's hard to be here three years in a row," Howland said glumly, "and not come away with a championship. I thought this was our best team."

But as the country found out, not as good a team as Memphis. Not nearly as good a team.

• hydro
    • Oct 2005

Re: Is it just me or does this annoy anyone else?

I wish we were like the Bruins. We would have a ton of super bowls!
    BERNIAC!

Comment

• Michael82
      • Jul 2002

First of all, **** you, Art Spander! You can't compare the two because UCLA gets to the Final 4, but not the actual NCAA Basketball Championship in these last 3 years. If anything, I would compare them to the Philadelphia Eagles...they went how many years without even making the ****ing Super Bowl? I'm sorry, but this just bothers me, plus I'm a little aggravated and angry today for some reason.

Comment

• Michael82
        • Jul 2002

I guess it's just me.

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
          I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
          • May 2005

Yeah, it's you, over-reacting as always. The comparisons will forever exist until we win one and you know it...

At least it's not the LSU women's team, they've been to 5 straight Final Fours and lost each time.

Comment

• Michael82
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BlackMetalNinja
            Yeah, it's you, over-reacting as always. The comparisons will forever exist until we win one and you know it...

At least it's not the LSU women's team, they've been to 5 straight Final Fours and lost each time.
            I'm sorry, but I just wish people would drop it. The Buffalo Bills jokes get old. Sure they lost 4 straight Super Bowls, but at least they made it to the Championship 4 straight times. How many teams can claim that? None!

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mikey82
              I'm sorry, but I just wish people would drop it. The Buffalo Bills jokes get old. Sure they lost 4 straight Super Bowls, but at least they made it to the Championship 4 straight times. How many teams can claim that? None!
              truth hurts huh ,Mikey? Nothing you can do about it . Its all part of being a bills fan.

They weren't talking about achievements but failures. 4 straight sb's was indeed an achievement. Losing it 4 straight times is a choke job. Both go hand in hand until the bills win the sb.
              sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                Unreachable Douche
                • Jul 2002

Doesn't bother me.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

Dude we deserve to be a joke, 4 straight shots and you can't close the deal once? Sorry thats rather inexcusable.
                  COMING SOON...
                  Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Jeff1220
                    H to the 12:20
                    • Jul 2002

It doesn't bother me much - only that UCLA didn't lose the championship, they lost the game to get there. I agree that the Eagles would've been a much better analogy.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                      Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

As painful as it might be, we made our own bed and we'll have to sleep in it.

It's our own damn fault.

Comment

• RockStar36
                        Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                        • Sep 2004

I'm used to it. They deserve the jokes for losing four straight and they deserve the jokes for now closing in on a decade of losing. We would be making fun any other team if the situations were reversed.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Mudflap1
                          Next Question!
                          • Nov 2004

Well... I'm not only a Buffalo Bills fan, but I'm a die-hard UCLA fan as well!

I don't really think about it that much... but the comparison has occurred to me. Of course it is different because UCLA has 11 championships in its history. But yeah, there is a similarity right now. I agree that the Bruins didn't make the championship the last two years, but, more than any other sport, the "Final Four" is more of a heralded stepping stone/achievement than other sports' semifinals. So I think it's a rather fair comparison.

Now... I should add this. As a die-hard Bruins fan and a die-hard Bills fan, there is one other similarity: I'm not happy UCLA lost by any stretch, but there is something to be said for the fact that UCLA is good, but they lost to the better time each time the last three years. I believe, as great as our Bills teams were, that happened the last three Super Bowls. I do still believe the Bills were (on paper) better than the Giants, and the Giants came up with the perfect gameplan and outcoached the Bills.

So, while I of course would've liked to have seen the Bruins and the Bills win some Super Bowls and Final Fours, I do have to admit (if I'm honest with myself) that the better team did actually win in the end for 6 of the 7 compared games (Final Fours and Super Bowls). Doesn't make it better, but it does put in perspective that I think both teams got about as far as they could before they met their match.

Jon

Comment

• Michael82
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mudflap1
                            Well... I'm not only a Buffalo Bills fan, but I'm a die-hard UCLA fan as well!

I don't really think about it that much... but the comparison has occurred to me. Of course it is different because UCLA has 11 championships in its history. But yeah, there is a similarity right now. I agree that the Bruins didn't make the championship the last two years, but, more than any other sport, the "Final Four" is more of a heralded stepping stone/achievement than other sports' semifinals. So I think it's a rather fair comparison.

Now... I should add this. As a die-hard Bruins fan and a die-hard Bills fan, there is one other similarity: I'm not happy UCLA lost by any stretch, but there is something to be said for the fact that UCLA is good, but they lost to the better time each time the last three years. I believe, as great as our Bills teams were, that happened the last three Super Bowls. I do still believe the Bills were (on paper) better than the Giants, and the Giants came up with the perfect gameplan and outcoached the Bills.

So, while I of course would've liked to have seen the Bruins and the Bills win some Super Bowls and Final Fours, I do have to admit (if I'm honest with myself) that the better team did actually win in the end for 6 of the 7 compared games (Final Fours and Super Bowls). Doesn't make it better, but it does put in perspective that I think both teams got about as far as they could before they met their match.

Jon
                            Good post, man! Thanks for your thoughts as a UCLA fan.

Comment

• Mudflap1
                              Next Question!
                              • Nov 2004

The only other thought I would add here is this: The Bills made four straight Super Bowls with virtually the same team. This UCLA team that lost Saturday is somewhat different from, say, the first UCLA team that lost three years ago. Jordan Farmar, Arron Afflalo, and Ryan Hollins were the leaders three years ago. Kevin Love, Darren Collison, and Russell Westbrook are the leaders now. UCLA also has the top recruiting class coming into college basketball next season, so, if any of the combination of Love, Collison, and Westbrook go pro, UCLA could conceivably have a really good team next year also (four straight Final Fours?), but with different stars. That is a key difference. The Bills had some different players through the four years, but the key cornerstones of Kelly, Thomas, Reed, Hull, Smith, Bennett, Talley, etc. remained the same.

Jon

Comment

Working...
                              X