PDA

View Full Version : Good Read on the potential of an uncapped 2010

ddaryl
04-07-2008, 12:58 PM
I have not seen this posted, but it helps understand what the deal will be if the Owners opt out of the CBA as we expect

here is the article

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/04/06/labor/index.html?eref=si_nfl

if you read through it it's not a bad deal for the owners, and actually corrales player salaries more then we thought

here's a blurb in the article which I did not realize

MORE RESTRICTIONS VIA FRANCHISE AND TRANSITION TAGS: Each team now can use one franchise-player tag and one transition-player tag -- which pay the tagged player, respectively, the average of the top five and top 10 salaries at his position. In 2010, the revised deal would allow each team the use of a second transition tag. If a team chose to use all its tags, it could stop its best three players from hitting the unrestricted free-agent market.
RESTRICTIONS FOR THE TOP EIGHT TEAMS IN FOOTBALL: If the uncapped year is reached, the teams with the best eight records in football in 2009 will be severely restricted from jumping into the pool. It's still not precisely determined how the system would work, but let's say the Patriots are one of the top eight and want to sign a free-agent to a five-year, $20-million contract. They'd have to lose their own player or players to contracts totaling $20 million before they could sign the free-agent they want. Conceptually, that's how this clause in the deal is going to work, but the exact mechanics of it are not clear yet. The purpose is very clear: The best teams are going to have tight leashes in free agency. And I can tell you from talking to a few traditionally good teams at the league meetings last week, they're not happy about it.
All told, teams would be able to protect more players with tags, and would have fewer free agents because of the six-year rule, and the best eight teams would be playing with one hand tied behind their back. This is a good system for the players?

IMO most all of us will find the info in here very interesting in regards of the up and coming possibility to that uncapped year in 2010.

YardRat
04-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Phrases like 'not clear yet' and 'still not precisely determined' aren't very comforting.

ddaryl
04-07-2008, 02:09 PM
^^^

I thought the info regarding the top 8 teams in 2010 not be elidgible for uncapped spending and the additon of an extra trasnsition tag was intersting.

I now think the uncapped 2010 year won't be disatorous as many of us feared... Unfortunately the Bills will probably be a top 8 team in 2010, while the big markets all manage to slip from top 8 contention that year...

Buffatexas
04-07-2008, 02:10 PM
that would definately impact the parity they are trying to achieve.

Mitchy moo
04-07-2008, 03:19 PM
^^^

I thought the info regarding the top 8 teams in 2010 not be elidgible for uncapped spending and the additon of an extra trasnsition tag was intersting.

I now think the uncapped 2010 year won't be disatorous as many of us feared... Unfortunately the Bills will probably be a top 8 team in 2010, while the big markets all manage to slip from top 8 contention that year...

It would be just our luck.:candle: