• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

One Piece Missing

Stay up to date with all the West Virginia Mountaineers sports news, recruiting, transfers, and more at 247Sports.com

How long Buffalo is willing to wait for a fullback is a dicey dilemma. It’s rarely a position of urgency for all 32 teams. With dire needs at three other spots, the Bills will be hard-pressed to snag the no-ego Schmitt in the third round.

But considering the direction Buffalo’s offense is heading, Schmitt is a great pick in the third. Quarterback Trent Edwards is a definite improvement over J.P. Losman, and the tendency is to surround him with weapons at wide receiver, but this draft, the Bills have a shot to complete its M.O. on offense. Without a true fullback, Schonert’s offense will never get off the ground. With him, the Bills could boast their best ground game since Thurman Thomas departed a decade ago.

Owen Schmitt is a near-lock to start next year with Pro Bowl potential all over him. Only one fullback has been drafted in the first three rounds this decade, but Schmitt sure looks a lot more like Mike Alstott (1996, 35th overall) than “Touchdown Tommy” Vardell (1992, ninth overall).

He’s the closest thing to Human Red Bull. The Bills would be smart to uncork Schmitt within their refined rushing attack. He’s the missing piece.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • PECKERWOOD
    Defies all logic
    • Oct 2006

Re: One Piece Missing

I think Hillis will probably be the better FB.

Comment

• gr8slayer
      • Feb 2005

Schmitt looks nothing like Alstott, what a stupid comparison. He might be the most overrated player in this years draft.

Comment

• hydro
        • Oct 2005

I wouldn't mind seeing Jehuu Caulcrick a Bill. But that is mainly because he is from this area.
        BERNIAC!

Comment

• Tatonka
          • Jul 2002

i dont care about any measurables with this guy. i just want him on the roster. i absolutely love the way he plays and it is infectious.

guys like him define teams. guys like lynch and him could give the whole team an identity.

i want him on this roster.
          "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• venis2k1
            Youboty can hope
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by JediBuffalo
            Schmitt looks nothing like Alstott, what a stupid comparison. He might be the most overrated player in this years draft.
            I think you misunderstood the quote. It was just saying that Schmitt looks like he could be a player in this league rather than a bust by comparing full backs that have been taken high in the draft.

"Matt Ryan looks more like Peyton Manning than Ryan Lief" would be along the same lines.

Comment

• more cowbell
              • Apr 2006

owen schmitt isnt overrated

the guy can do ANYTHING on the field
              The last time the Bills made the playoffs was 1999.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by hydrosmak
                I wouldn't mind seeing Jehuu Caulcrick a Bill. But that is mainly because he is from this area.
                I would like to see Caulcrick here, too, but for other reasons. He can be had in the 6th round and is going to be good enough to take the starting job.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                  • Feb 2005

Many of you under-estimate Barnes; I've seen him play plenty here in Dallas and he is a legitimate blocking back.

Comment

Working...
                  X