PDA

View Full Version : Drafting Harvey makes the most sense.

HHURRICANE
04-08-2008, 07:20 AM
As badly as we need a WR I just can't see the Bills passing on Harvey.

Schobel and Denney will both be 31 to start this season and Kelsay turns 29 in October. If you think our sack production was bad last year wait til this year.

I actually believe that a decent WR will fall to us in the 2nd. At worst we could move back late into the first if necessary.

Harvey is as close to a slam dunk starter as you get. The guy is great against the run and had 20 sacks in 18 starts. He fills both needs for this team.

As Miami found out last year, taking a WR early is a luxury pick.

acehole
04-08-2008, 07:25 AM
I like that CB myself at that spot...Mcclovin.

Schobel and Denney will both be 31 to start this season and Kelsay turns 29 in October. If you think our sack production was bad last year wait til this year.

I actually believe that a decent WR will fall to us in the 2nd. At worst we could move back late into the first if necessary.

Harvey is as close to a slam dunk starter as you get. The guy is great against the run and had 20 sacks in 18 starts. He fills both needs for this team.

HHURRICANE
04-08-2008, 07:28 AM

CB is a pick that doesn't make sense. We don't need a CB if one of our white guys up front could put pressure on the QB. I think the Giants all but proved this theory last year.

TacklingDummy
04-08-2008, 07:33 AM
I agree. Draft Harvey and hope one of the WR slips into the 2nd round.

Schobel, Denney, and Kelsay all blow. Pressure on the QB is what causes turnovers.

FlyingDutchman
04-08-2008, 07:42 AM
Im kinda hopin we wait til next year to make DE our number 1 priority

Devin
04-08-2008, 07:46 AM

:bf1:

Agreed. Harvey IMO would make the most sense. This is such a deep we class I'm truly convinced we'd land a quality guy in round 2

HHURRICANE
04-08-2008, 07:46 AM
Im kinda hopin we wait til next year to make DE our number 1 priority

We need a player in rotation. We only have 3 DEs currently. How is this not a priority? Denney was hurt for most of last year.

Mitchy moo
04-08-2008, 07:57 AM

100% with you !!

Mitchy moo
04-08-2008, 08:00 AM
We need a player in rotation. We only have 3 DEs currently. How is this not a priority? Denney was hurt for most of last year.

This type of move would really help shore up the defense, plan on it.

eyedog
04-08-2008, 08:05 AM
It seems pretty simple and obvious to me.

Who knows what the Bills think. I think they are still grasping the concept that strong lines win the games.

Mahdi
04-08-2008, 08:11 AM
McLovin? That would be sick!

http://thepiratesdilemma.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/mclovin-2.JPG

FlyingDutchman
04-08-2008, 08:16 AM

Didnt say it wasnt a priority, just not a number 1 priority.

FlyingDutchman
04-08-2008, 08:18 AM
Look im all for getting better at the pass rush, but is the 3rd DE on the board with only 8.5 sacks really the answer?

DraftBoy
04-08-2008, 08:25 AM
I prefer Merling but either or could be a good selection.

FlyingDutchman
04-08-2008, 08:26 AM

I counted 19.5 sacks in 27 games...:headscrat

eyedog
04-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Look im all for getting better at the pass rush, but is the 3rd DE on the board with only 8.5 sacks really the answer?

Well they could always take one of the 1-AA cb's, or one of the top two injury prone wr's.

If they don't get a pass rush it doesn't matter who is playing d-back because it will be the same story with Brady.

HHURRICANE
04-08-2008, 08:29 AM
I counted 19.5 sacks in 27 games...:headscrat

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/derrick-harvey?id=762

To help with your head scratch.

don137
04-08-2008, 08:31 AM
I think a very good WR will be availble in round 2. Harvey is a safer pick because WR is such a crap shoot in round one (anyone remember Perry Tuttle)....My hunch is a DB though

tampabay25690
04-08-2008, 08:32 AM
CB is a pick that doesn't make sense. We don't need a CB if one of our white guys up front could put pressure on the QB. I think the Giants all but proved this theory last year.

CB does make sense but I agree HARVEY makes sense as well........It will all depend on how the chips fall on draft day. If we drafta CB or DE I will be very happy anyway. I still think there will be a WR that drops into the 2nd round...I can see the BILLS going OFFENSE the rest of the draft after the 1st.

But I still wouldnt be surprised if they draft a WR. I KNOW 80% of this site wants THOMAS or KELLY and the other %% like myself think DEFENSE is the way to go....WE WILL SEE SOON

FlyingDutchman
04-08-2008, 08:37 AM
"starts", he played in more games then that though

FlyingDutchman
04-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Well they could always take one of the 1-AA cb's, or one of the top two injury prone wr's.

If they don't get a pass rush it doesn't matter who is playing d-back because it will be the same story with Brady.

I dont buy the D1-AA arguement. I could rattle off a list of great players from that division. I do agree with your WR arguement, and I believe we should maybe wait til the 2nd. Im just not sold on a guy, who had a whopping 8.5 sacks as the answer to our pass rush problem.

HHURRICANE
04-08-2008, 08:44 AM
The funny part is that there are several mocks that have the guys at WR, they we are talking about, not even being taken in the first round.

Harvey is a "for sure" starter, especially in a rotation.

If we stay at 41 we would most likely get one of the guys we are talking about.

Look what happened last year. How many mocks had us taking Poz with our first. We needed an LB but we got him in the 2nd anyway.

A guy like Harvey won't be available in the 2nd round. Just like Lynch last year. That's why WR is such a reach. None of these guys are Calvin Johnson.

Mahdi
04-08-2008, 08:46 AM
The funny part is that there are several mocks that have the guys at WR, they we are talking about, not even being taken in the first round.

Harvey is a "for sure" starter, especially in a rotation.

If we stay at 41 we would most likely get one of the guys we are talking about.

Look what happened last year. How many mocks had us taking Poz with our first. We needed an LB but we got him in the 2nd anyway.

A guy like Harvey won't be available in the 2nd round. Just like Lynch last year. That's why WR is such a reach. None of these guys are Calvin Johnson.
I agree that Harvey would be a great pick for us but I do believe we can get a DE in the second round that can put up some great numbers for us, Cliff Avril. Pure pass rusher that can start for us by mid-season.

Pinkerton Security
04-08-2008, 08:48 AM

i dont want a decent WR. plain and simple. if we can get one of the big 3 wr's AND harvey, im all for it. i just dont want any more mediocre WR's.

HHURRICANE
04-08-2008, 08:50 AM
I agree that Harvey would be a great pick for us but I do believe we can get a DE in the second round that can put up some great numbers for us, Cliff Avril. Pure pass rusher that can start for us by mid-season.

As much as Lynch was a "for-sure" starter last year coming out of the draft, I would say Harvey is the same. The guy is big enough to play in the NFL on day one.

We can't afford to have any rookie, especially a first round WR, taking half a seaon to find his ass. By that time the season will be over.

HHURRICANE
04-08-2008, 08:53 AM
i dont want a decent WR. plain and simple. if we can get one of the big 3 wr's AND harvey, im all for it. i just dont want any more mediocre WR's.

There is no slam dunk WR in this draft. Plain and simple. That's why Harvey makes sense. If there was a Lee Evans or Calvin Johnoson guy sitting there than I would feel differently.

Every single draft analysis I've heard has question marks on all of the top WRs.

I guarantee you that we won't be hurt by waiting til the second round to take one of these guys. Matter-of-fact maybe the Bills will trade back into the second and get two of them.

Mahdi
04-08-2008, 08:54 AM
As much as Lynch was a "for-sure" starter last year coming out of the draft, I would say Harvey is the same. The guy is big enough to play in the NFL on day one.

We can't afford to have any rookie, especially a first round WR, taking half a seaon to find his ass. By that time the season will be over.
Well think of the impact Lee Evans had in his rookie year on the Bills offense. It was huge. Malcolm Kelly IMO can be even more prominent in our offense due to his size, redzone ability and just overall being a big target that can improve our 3rd down %.

Pinkerton Security
04-08-2008, 08:56 AM
There is no slam dunk WR in this draft. Plain and simple. That's why Harvey makes sense. If there was a Lee Evans or Calvin Johnoson guy sitting there than I would feel differently.

Every single draft analysis I've heard has question marks on all of the top WRs.

I guarantee you that we won't be hurt by waiting til the second round to take one of these guys. Matter-of-fact may be the bills trade back into the second and get two of them.

ok. good. we all know what you think. im just saying i want a good wr, if we can get him in the 7th then F it, get him then. i just dont want to settle for REAL question marks like manningham or doucet, when at least kelly and thomas and sweed have the physical ability to succeed, but just might have to pull it together.

and ill say again bc you looked past it last time, if we can get harvey and one of Kelly, Thomas or sweed, then ill be absolutely ecstatic.

eyedog
04-08-2008, 08:58 AM
[QUOTE=FlyingDutchman]I dont buy the D1-AA arguement. I could rattle off a list of great players from that division. I do agree with your WR arguement, and I believe we should maybe wait til the 2nd. Im just not sold on a guy, who had a whopping 8.5 sacks as the answer to our pass rush problem.[/Q

I don't care what cb you take at #11, they won't come in and shut down Moss/Brady without a pass rush.

justasportsfan
04-08-2008, 09:01 AM
As badly as we need a WR .
then wr would make most sense then, not DE.

HHURRICANE
04-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Well think of the impact Lee Evans had in his rookie year on the Bills offense. It was huge. Malcolm Kelly IMO can be even more prominent in our offense due to his size, redzone ability and just overall being a big target that can improve our 3rd down %.

Kelly is not a slam dunk and that's why so many boards have him not even going in the first round. His knees are definately more than a rumor. We can't afford to make any mistakes at #11.

Lynch was the #2 RB last year. No ifs, ands, or buts. He was the right pick for us with little risk or downside. At #11 you have to get that kind of guy.

The fact that there is no concensus at WR should scare many on this board. So why does taking him at 11 make sense. Because you think it's a good pick? I'll go with the best odds for success.

venis2k1
04-08-2008, 09:05 AM
I dont buy the D1-AA arguement. I could rattle off a list of great players from that division.

Scott Wright: Who is the best player you have faced during your career?

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie: Efrem Hill, a wideout from Samford.

Big jump from covering Efrem Hill to Randy Moss.

HHURRICANE
04-08-2008, 09:06 AM
then wr would make most sense then, not DE.

Sometimes you have to take the best available player. Nobody out there has a clear cut 1st pick at WR. That's a problem.

FlyingDutchman
04-08-2008, 09:08 AM
I don't care what cb you take at #11, they won't come in and shut down Moss/Brady without a pass rush.

No, maybe not immediately, but who is? Jabari the midget Greer? Or the injury prone CB we picked up? And do you really expect Harvey to come in and make the impact we are looking for to get to Brady?

Jaybird
04-08-2008, 09:09 AM
i hate the giants refrence........ We do need a CB, the better the CB thw more time the d lineman have to get to the Qb, because the coveridge is the much better....

So infact it works both ways!!!!!!!!!!

FlyingDutchman
04-08-2008, 09:11 AM

Funny you should mention Randy Moss. Do you know what division Marshall was in when he played there?? Brian Westbrook sucks too...Terrel Owens....Who was that Jerry Rice guy?.....I can go on....

justasportsfan
04-08-2008, 09:12 AM
Sometimes you have to take the best available player. .sometimes your biggest need takes priority over BPA especially in our situation where we just paid our DE's and it isn't our biggest need on the D unit.

DE with the 11th would be a luxury , not a need.

Nobody out there has a clear cut 1st pick at WR. That's a problem.

Our D should improve with the additions. We have done nothing on the O. So it makes more SENSE to draft for the O.

We already know first hand that you cannot develop a qb without any help. If you want to develop Trent porperly , you give him what he needs or ya'll will be calling him another bust in a couple of years.

Add to the fact that Evans hasn't been extended yet. With that alone it makes more sense to grab a wr.

Tatonka
04-08-2008, 09:20 AM
Sometimes you have to take the best available player. Nobody out there has a clear cut 1st pick at WR. That's a problem.

have you spoken to the bills coaching staff and scouting department. im sure they do.

Tatonka
04-08-2008, 09:22 AM
Compares To: JEVON KEARSE-Philadelphia...Harvey might be too tall to shift to outside linebacker at the next level, but there is no question that he has the speed to play there. Despite his lanky frame, he is much more than just an edge rusher, evident by the fact that opponents were held to minus-28 yards on 47 running plays in his area last year. He needs to add more bulk to his frame, but 19.5 sacks and 30 stops for losses over his last two seasons vs. 300-plus pound offensive linemen are evidence that proves he has the power and avoidance skills to pressure the pocket on a consistent basis. Put him in a system like Dallas uses with Anthony Spencer and Greg Ellis and Harvey could develop into an Adalius Thomas-type who is best when allowed to roam the field.

i would be happy with harvey if we could get hardy in the 2nd.. but the ideal situation would be a trade down with dallas and grab thomas and merling for me personally.. then TE or CB and the second and 3rd, and pray that schmidt is there in the 4th.

Mahdi
04-08-2008, 09:33 AM
i hate the giants refrence........ We do need a CB, the better the CB thw more time the d lineman have to get to the Qb, because the coveridge is the much better....

So infact it works both ways!!!!!!!!!!
Dont agree there. A DE has a 2 dimensional effect on a game. Stop the run and rush the passer. When you have an elite pass rusher that can pressure opposing QBs all day that is much more valuable then a shut down corner. If a DE is not good enough then a shut down corner will not shut down for long. coverage sacks these days are tough to come by. QBs get the ball out quickly and if you dont have a DE that can get there in under 3 seconds you're already in trouble. Which is what we saw a lot of last year. Even if we had Champ Bailey last year it would not have mattered. I remember when we played the Pats and Brady literally had 4.5 secs to pick and choose who he wanted to throw to, that just wont cut it. You also have to consider that on any given pass play its not only CBs that are out there in coverage. You have to also realize that we have LBs covering TEs and RBs as well as Safeties covering TEs. A good pass rusher will keep your LBs and Safeties from being in coverage too long with superior athletes like Gates, Watson, Gonzalez who we will be facing next year.

That being said Im all for taking a WR first as long as we address DE early.

DraftBoy
04-08-2008, 09:34 AM

Same thing could of been said for Andre Reed who never played in an all-star game yet became a potential NFL HOF'er.

FlyingDutchman
04-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Heres just a few D1-AA players from recent years

Steve McNair
Donald Driver
Dexter Coakley
Rashean Mathis
Marcellus Wiley
Jason Dunn
Matt Birk
Wayne Chrebet
Lance Schulters
Corey Bradford
Jimmy Smith
Dwayne Carswell
Mike Flynn
Marcel Shipp
Scott Gragg
Jerry Azumah
Kurt Warner
Brad Meester
Terrence McGee
Mike Green
Shawn Barber
Lonnie Paxton
Josh McCown
Orlando Brown
Adam Timmerman
Steve Heiden
Adam Vinatieri
Jerry Wilson
Leo Araguz
Derrick Blaylock
Jeremiah Trotter
Terrell Owens
Brent Alexander
Michael Strahan
Brian Westbrook
Brian Finneran
Willie Williams
Rodney Harrison
Darren Sharper
Jeff Wilkins
Randy Moss
Chad Pennington
Troy Brown

DraftBoy
04-08-2008, 09:38 AM

Steve McNair
Donald Driver
Dexter Coakley
Rashean Mathis
Marcellus Wiley
Jason Dunn
Matt Birk
Wayne Chrebet
Lance Schulters
Corey Bradford
Jimmy Smith
Dwayne Carswell
Mike Flynn
Marcel Shipp
Scott Gragg
Jerry Azumah
Kurt Warner
Brad Meester
Terrence McGee
Mike Green
Shawn Barber
Lonnie Paxton
Josh McCown
Orlando Brown
Adam Timmerman
Steve Heiden
Adam Vinatieri
Jerry Wilson
Leo Araguz
Derrick Blaylock
Jeremiah Trotter
Terrell Owens
Brent Alexander
Michael Strahan
Brian Westbrook
Brian Finneran
Willie Williams
Rodney Harrison
Darren Sharper
Jeff Wilkins
Randy Moss
Chad Pennington
Troy Brown

All bums! You forgot another bum Marques Colston.

User Manuel
04-08-2008, 09:42 AM
I can't argue with this. I think he is right. Draft Big first, get the reciever later. I still think there is a good chance Kelly falls.

Tatonka
04-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Taking a better athlete won't help the team if it spends another season watching its star receiver get blanketed because there's no one else on the roster who deserves respect from the opposing secondary.

eyedog
04-08-2008, 10:10 AM

Steve McNair
Donald Driver
Dexter Coakley
Rashean Mathis
Marcellus Wiley
Jason Dunn
Matt Birk
Wayne Chrebet
Lance Schulters
Corey Bradford
Jimmy Smith
Dwayne Carswell
Mike Flynn
Marcel Shipp
Scott Gragg
Jerry Azumah
Kurt Warner
Brad Meester
Terrence McGee
Mike Green
Shawn Barber
Lonnie Paxton
Josh McCown
Orlando Brown
Adam Timmerman
Steve Heiden
Adam Vinatieri
Jerry Wilson
Leo Araguz
Derrick Blaylock
Jeremiah Trotter
Terrell Owens
Brent Alexander
Michael Strahan
Brian Westbrook
Brian Finneran
Willie Williams
Rodney Harrison
Darren Sharper
Jeff Wilkins
Randy Moss
Chad Pennington
Troy Brown

How many of these guy's went in the top half of the 1st rd ? About a half dozen are difference makers. By the way, moss was supposed to go to Notre Dame, then Fla. St before he landed at Marshall.

HHURRICANE
04-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Tatonka, I couldn't include your quote. We definately need at #2 WR, no doubt. But there isn't a slam dunk at #11 in this years draft so why waste the pick?

That doesn't make any sense. And by the way who is it? Sweed, Kelly, Thomas?

There is no debate who we take at #11 if it's a DE.

Pinkerton Security
04-08-2008, 10:18 AM
Tatonka, I couldn't include your quote. We definately need at #2 WR, no doubt. But there isn't a slam dunk at #11 in this years draft so why waste the pick?

why not? some rank merling higher than harvey.

DrGraves
04-08-2008, 10:19 AM
noo i dont care if they turn 29 or 31 or whatever. they can still play this year. we need to win now! no more planning for the future. the bills need to win now. take a wr that gives us the best chance of winning

bigbub2352
04-08-2008, 10:33 AM
We are in great cap shape next year again, we added Stroud, Johnson, and have a budding star in McCargo, we also have like 5 DEs on the roster i am sorry HH but DE is not the choice at 11, we have alot of money on the Dline right now and DJ luvs his white DEs so i really think we are going O

WR Devon THomas at 11
TE in the Second Bennett
cb in the 3rd
DE
FB with our 2 4ths
C in the 5th
DT in the 6th
WR in the 7th
OT in the 7th
LB in the 7th

FlyingDutchman
04-08-2008, 10:34 AM
How many of these guy's went in the top half of the 1st rd ? About a half dozen are difference makers. By the way, moss was supposed to go to Notre Dame, then Fla. St before he landed at Marshall.

Doesnt really matter where they went in the draft, it matters what they did in the NFL. They were probably pre-judged bc of "who they played". What about Demarcus Ware...? Oddly enough, he was drafted 11 overall from Troy.

THATHURMANATOR
04-08-2008, 10:34 AM
I have 0 problem drafting a DE with the third pick.

Tatonka
04-08-2008, 10:39 AM

actually, like i said before.. there might not be a clear number one wr to us, but the bills may absolutely love thomas or kelly or hell, they may love manningham.. i have no clue.. but because some guys on a message board cant figure out what wr we like the best, or some chode analyists on espn cant agree, that doesnt mean that the bills don't already know.

and in regards to your clear number 1 DE.. i like merling more than harvey, personally.

eyedog
04-08-2008, 10:53 AM
Doesnt really matter where they went in the draft, it matters what they did in the NFL. They were probably pre-judged bc of "who they played". What about Demarcus Ware...? Oddly enough, he was drafted 11 overall from Troy.

And what position does Ware play ? I believe he's a pass rusher.

FlyingDutchman
04-08-2008, 10:58 AM
And what position does Ware play ? I believe he's a pass rusher.

Whats your point? I thought we were discussing taking D1AA players early in the draft?

eyedog
04-08-2008, 11:02 AM
My point is too much risk. I see a lot of nice players on your list, and about six difference makers. And not many corner backs.

Jan Reimers
04-08-2008, 11:04 AM
There are no "slam dunks" ever, anywhere in the draft. Look at Ryan Leaf, Mike Williams, Brian Bosworth and Tony Mandarich, to name just a few of the more famous busts.

I continue not to be able to figure why Harvey, or DRC or other favorites on here are lead pipe cinches, while Kelly and Thomas are major reaches.

It's a craps-shoot guys, no matter who you take, or when.

FlyingDutchman
04-08-2008, 12:06 PM
My point is too much risk. I see a lot of nice players on your list, and about six difference makers. And not many corner backs.

True, but at least the list provides proof that D1AA players are more than capable of playing well in the NFL.

HHURRICANE
04-08-2008, 02:29 PM
There are no "slam dunks" ever, anywhere in the draft. Look at Ryan Leaf, Mike Williams, Brian Bosworth and Tony Mandarich, to name just a few of the more famous busts.

I continue not to be able to figure why Harvey, or DRC or other favorites on here are lead pipe cinches, while Kelly and Thomas are major reaches.

It's a craps-shoot guys, no matter who you take, or when.

Well I agree that any player is a risk but I'd much rather go with the odds. The odds favor Harvey contributing immediately, especially in a system that relies on rotation, and at a position that's not all that complicated.

Any WR is going to take half a season to learn the playbook and get comfortable running routes. Calvin Johnson, considered to be one of the best prospects at the WR position in years gained 756 yards. Impressive until you consider that most of those yards came in the last 7 games. He had (1) 100+ yard game.

What kind of impact do you really expect a rookie WR to have on this team. Seriously?

justasportsfan
04-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Well I agree that any player is a risk but I'd much rather go with the odds. The odds favor Harvey contributing immediately, especially in a system that relies on rotation, and at a position that's not all that complicated.

Any WR is going to take half a season to learn the playbook and get comfortable running routes. Calvin Johnson, considered to be one of the best prospects at the WR position in years gained 756 yards. Impressive until you consider that most of those yards came in the last 7 games. He had (1) 100+ yard game.

What kind of impact do you really expect a rookie WR to have on this team. Seriously?

Marrio Williams was hardly a factor in his rookie year.

If the player we draft amounts to the same nos. as Calvin last year, that would be tremendous help for Lee and Trent.

FYI, Lee had better rookie nos than Calvin even if Calvin seems to be a better prospect out of college. Same goes for Colston.

It's hard to say which player is gonna make an impact or not but wrs are most likely to make impacts in their rookie year more so than DE's especially if you have a developing qb.

There are no if's and buts about it. Trent needs immediate help.

You can't concentrate one unit of the team and ignore the other. Thats what happened during TD's time. It amounted to nothing. Keep ignoring the O and we'll still be looking for another qb since Kelly left and you'll be calling for Trents head next year too.

eyedog
04-08-2008, 02:44 PM
Mario had 6.5 sacks and was hurt most of his rookie year. Last year Mario tore it up.
Anybody still think they should have taken Reggie Bush over Mario ?

Pinkerton Security
04-08-2008, 02:46 PM

i expect him to start and take some coverage away from lee, personally, at least by the middle of the season he will get up to speed, and by next year he will be completely ready.

what are you expectations for a rookie DE on this team? do you expect him to have 10 sacks? 5? I'd say 5 is a MUCH more likely outcome. also, I understand its about the pressure, but do you expect him to come in and pressure Brady 10 times a game? I also think that your expectations for a rookie DE are a bit inflated, especially one that is a good, but not excellent prospect, in the eyes of most.

acehole
04-08-2008, 02:48 PM
CB is a pick that doesn't make sense. "

Which is why we make it.....

Anyway he is a good special teamer as well.

justasportsfan
04-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Mario had 6.5 sacks and was hurt most of his rookie year. Last year Mario tore it up.
Anybody still think they should have taken Reggie Bush over Mario ?
Nope nobody is saying that. The qquestion is now, would a DE at 11 be a better prospect than Marrio? When healthy, we have DE's that can manage 6.5 sacks which would make drafting a luxury. In the meantime we have no other weapons that can manage no. 2 nos. or take away attention from Lee.

How would 6.5 sacks help Trent anyways? We sack the qb and then Trent goes 3 and out.

We get Trent more weapons and he moves the chains and scores more points while the D rests. Otherwise, we'll be dependent on the D to score more points for us ...again.

eyedog
04-08-2008, 02:53 PM
Nope nobody is saying that. The qquestion is now, would a DE at 11 be a better prospect than Marrio? When healthy, we have DE's that can manage 6.5 sacks which would make drafting a luxury. In the meantime we have no other weapons that can manage no. 2 nos. or take away attention from Lee.

How would 6.5 sacks help Trent anyways? We sack the qb and then Trent goes 3 and out.

We get Trent more weapons and he moves the chains and scores more points while the D rests. Otherwise, we'll be dependent on the D to score more points for us ...again.

Nobody is saying it now but there sure as hell were a ton of people saying it then.
when you get a chance for a top pass rusher you take him. A receiver will be there in rd. 2.

justasportsfan
04-08-2008, 03:05 PM
when you get a chance for a top pass rusher you take him.. not when you have bigger needs elsewhere and have tons of money already tied up with your DE's. Add those 2 together and a DE would be a luxury Dick cannot afford.

Like I said, whoever is there at 11 is most likely won't to do as well as Marrio did in his rookie season.

A receiver will be there in rd. 2. With the same logic as the 11th pick vs. Marrio, I'll use a top wr vs. Calvin. I want to draft a possible no.1 wr who may end up having no.2 nos in his rookie season.

I would however draft ano.2 wr if we grab a top TE.

mikemac2001
04-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Lets get some ****ing pass rush ....when was the last time we thought we were gonna have a good pash rush

Erik Flowers.....Lets get harvey or trade down and draft a wr and end but we need this way more then a CB

justasportsfan
04-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Lets get some ****ing pass rush ....when was the last time we thought we were gonna have a good pash rush

Will this up coming season count?

Mitchy moo
04-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Will this up coming season count?

It will if we draft Harvey, the kid will be sitting on Brady's head both games we play him.

Philagape
04-08-2008, 04:54 PM

A No. 2 WR's impact is not so much in his own stats, but in helping Evans get better numbers. Or Lynch. Or a TE.

Philagape
04-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Besides, Calvin Johnson was hurt for much of the year. He started out pretty well: 4-70-TD, 4-61-TD, then he got hurt in week 3

yordad
04-08-2008, 05:29 PM
CB is a pick that doesn't make sense. We don't need a CB if one of our white guys up front could put pressure on the QB. I think the Giants all but proved this theory last year.What came first, the chicken or the egg?

We need a player in rotation. We only have 3 DEs currently. How is this not a priority? Denney was hurt for most of last year. So.... a rotational DE is more important then a starting CB or WR? Ask yourself, "who was more important in '07, McGee or Hargrove?"

Neill is a DE, and our new DT Johnson can be one too. Actually, we have 8.5 DEs on the roster.

And guys, I'm not saying I don't think we can do better for DEs. But, before we draft a first rounder, we would have to unload one of our starters, IMO. That isn't going to happen this year. And, before we ever do something like that we would have to start with less holes.

There is no such thing as any "slam dunk" in the draft.

CB or WR for me.
Oh, and this is basically the same thread
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=2401621#post2401621

Saratoga Slim
04-08-2008, 06:53 PM
It seems pretty simple and obvious to me.

Who knows what the Bills think. I think they are still grasping the concept that strong lines win the games.

they spent like 100 million dollars on two offensive linemen last winter.

eyedog
04-08-2008, 07:13 PM
they spent like 100 million dollars on two offensive linemen last winter.

Yes they did. About time wouldn't you say, since the o-line has been a problem for about ten years.

evol4276
04-08-2008, 07:37 PM
i think that would be a very solid idea. it'd finally solidify (hopefully) our dline, and maybe give us some sort of decent production from the de's. yea shobel was a "pro bowl" player but honestly, who are we scaring with our de situation? no one. i want my julius peppers-type player and have for a while, but for once we finally can take one high since all of our other pressing needs are decently stacked. as much as i would love and still do love getting a wr, i would have zero problem picking him up if he can produce like a beast