X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

AFCE Will be a Brawl

Many of us seem to think that the Bills already have the #2 spot in the AFCE locked up but I really doubt thats the case. In fact I see the AFCE as being a very competitive division this year at least within itself. Here is why.....

Lets start with the Pats, they lost some serious talent. Sure they lost talent every year and still bounce back strong, however I highly doubt they return to the rampage they had going last year. Losing Stallworth IMO is big, he made teams respect the other side of the field and was a deep threat. That should allow teams to clamp down on Welker more as well as the run game. Losing Rosevelt Colvin is also huge. Unless they replace him with another stud rusher then the teeth of their pass rush is gone. Seau is coming off surgery and Bruschi is another year older. Their safety situation is not great but still ok. James Sanders seemed to be favored over Wilson and played well as the starter and Harrisson is Harrisson. CB is the big question mark. They brought in some decent vets but none that will be Asante Samuel. Overall I think the Pats have downgraded enough to make most games against division opponents a battle.

On to the Jets. The Jets went nuts in the offseason obviously but money doesnt usually buy contenders. However, although they spend way too much on the FAs they brought in, they got some very good quality starters. Pace will give the Jets a good but not great pass rush from the outside and should team up nicely with David Harris, Eric Barton, and Bryan Thomas. Their interior DL impoved big-time with the acquisition of Jenkins who should do well next to Shaun Ellis and Kenyon Coleman. The Jets weakness is their secondary. Revis is talented yes, but still not a shut down guy by any means, they have no one notable at the other CB position. Safety is not bad though with Kerry Rhodes who is a real good playmaker. Their other safety is an unknown named Abram Elam. Overall the Jets are going to be tough to run against and that's after it was already tough for Buffalo to run the ball on them last year. They should also be a very tough, smash mouth rushing team after the acquisitions they made on the OL. It will all depend on Ferguson and Mangold though. I know everyone loves Mangold but IMO he may not be the toughest run blocker and the same goes for Ferguson. Faneca is obviously a beast but he played with other OL in Pitts that were also road-graters so its not a given that he will revamp the Jets run game unless the 2 next to him can do the same. Still even if they remain as they were last year Faneca and Woody instantly upgrade their ability to pound the ball. There it is for the Jets and thats what will make them a tough team to beat, run and stop the run. A last comment on the Jets is that they currently have the second best WR corps in the AFCE so if Clemens can get his act together, that combined with a solid run game wont be easy to defend.

Miami Dolphins. Bill Parcells. That name instantly upgrades this team. He will give them an identity on defense that the team will rally around from day one. He has already brought in some players that fly under the radar but in the right system can flourish. Reggie Torbor and Charlie Anderson are great fits for 3-4 defenses. They are both very big LBs that can run. Torbor will probably start right away and should be a great addition. I think Torbor will start on the inside with Crowder with Porter and Taylor as the OLBs, thats not a bad LB crew at all actually. The DL is not spectacular but not horrible either. Starks is a decent player, Holliday is a good vet and Roth is just solid. Now speaking of horrible, thats what their CBs are. They need some serious help at CB and fast. Safety is ok with Yeremiah Bell and Jasen Allen. If they can improve their pass rush those 2 should actually make a lot of plays next year. Parcells is a smart dude so im pretty sure he will use the #1 pick to address his front 7. Smarter if he can trade down to #5, get extra picks and take Glenn Dorsey. Taking Chris Long IMO is a big mistake for both parties. The O is a huge question mark. I like the signing of Justin Smiley but I dont understand letting go of Rex Hadnot, he was a very solid player and still young. Pretty much evens out the Smiley signing and leaves them with holes on the OL. Vernon Carey is not a LT, he should be playing LG IMO. If they can land an OT in the second round that can start day 1 they can have a decent but not great OL. Running behind that OL is what can make or break the Dols offense next season. A motivated Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown who will want to pick up where he left off can give defenses a load to handle. We will have to see if either are possible with Ricky being Ricky and Brown coming of serious knee surgery. Now the WRs I think can be very tough to handle. Ginn hasn't really had a fair shot as of yet to prove his draft selection as worthy. This year he will have Ernest Wilford and Tab Perry playing with him, both of which are big physical receivers. If Beck can actually improve over last year he will still be below average. Josh McCown however can bring respectability to the QB position in Miami and given a running game and some time to throw, I think the Dolphins offense can actually put up some points. The dark horse for this offense will be Tab Perry IMO. If he can be a solid receiver in 3 WR sets then this offense can actually be tough to play against. It will come down to OL and DL for the Phins, if they can get it together they will be tough to play.

Our Bills. I think this has been one of the most satisfying offseason's ever. The combination of moves they made and moves they didnt make were great. Getting Kawika Mitchell early was perfect and then following it up with the trade for Stroud was brilliant. Stroud gives us Pat Williams and Tommie Harris rolled into 1. Im not saying he is as good at run stuffing as Pat or as good at pass rushing as Tommie but he can do both very very well which is exactly what our DL needed. Not getting Bryant Johnson for a huge contract was equally brilliant. Although I wanted him at first for a modest price I would not have been happy to pay him a big contract. Johnson is unproven as a starter and he's actually not as physical as his size might suggest. Anyways, we definitely got better in the run stopping department and thats before discussing the return of PoZ. Although I dont know how he will fare as a MLB in general I do know that he is very good as a run stuffer. What will make our defense great is how well Poz can play the pass. If he can do the things that Brackett and Urlacher do for their defenses then our D can be top 10 easily. Of course Im assuming that the trust the FO has in Schobel and Kelsay is warranted and they can get to the QB early and often. I have been down on our DEs but if Stroud and our best DT from last year McCargo can push the pocket inside it should make things easier for our DEs and maybe they will produce at the level we all expect. The other key to our success will be our run blocking. Our OL proved that they can pass block extremely well but have shown a weakness when it comes to pounding opponents off the LOS in the run game. If Lynch can get up to 4.5 ypc like the other elite backs in the league our offense, assuming we have a genuine #2 WR and TE can really take off. Overall the Bills have most teams a tough time last year and with the additions in FA, trade and the draft it should be even tougher.

With all that said here is my prediciton for the AFCE:

Pats: 12-4

Bills: 10-6

Jets: 9-7

Dolphins: 6-10

Comments/Predictions welcome!
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Re: AFCE Will be a Brawl

1) Had the Pats won the Superbowl I think they could have lost the players this off-season and still would be the dominant team in the AFC. That loss was huge for 3 reasons. One, every team is still going to want to beat them becuase they went undefeated during the regular season. Two, everyone will think they can beat them becuase they lost in Superbowl. Three, if you play them tough like the Giants did in the regular season you may end up as a contender. I think they are going to get a beat down this year.

2) The Jets don't have a QB, next.

3) Miami could have Lombardi, Walsh, Parcells, and Bellichek all on the sidelines and it wouldn't matter in 2008. Parcells is the real deal but you aren't going to be competitive after only being one play from 0-16. This team has so many problems that one season won't fix it.

4) Buffalo, IMO, has the best shot at making a run this year. Jauron is the perfect coach for a young talented team. This team should at worst win 9-10 games this year.

Comment

• Mahdi
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
      1) Had the Pats won the Superbowl I think they could have lost the players this off-season and still would be the dominant team in the AFC. That loss was huge for 3 reasons. One, every team is still going to want to beat them becuase they went undefeated during the regular season. Two, everyone will think they can beat them becuase they lost in Superbowl. Three, if you play them tough like the Giants did in the regular season you may end up as a contender. I think they are going to get a beat down this year.

2) The Jets don't have a QB, next.

3) Miami could have Lombardi, Walsh, Parcells, and Bellichek all on the sidelines and it wouldn't matter in 2008. Parcells is the real deal but you aren't going to be competitive after only being one play from 0-16. This team has so many problems that one season won't fix it.

4) Buffalo, IMO, has the best shot at making a run this year. Jauron is the perfect coach for a young talented team. This team should at worst win 9-10 games this year.
      How much better is Trent Edwards than Kellen Clemens really? They both started almost the same amount of games and their stats arent far off.

Trent has a 56% completion, 7TD, 8INT, 70.4 Rating in 9 starts

Kellen has a 52% completion, 5TD, 10INT, 60.9 Rating in 8 starts

The difference is minimal. Peronally Im not going to annoint Trent our QB of the future till I see a full season and proof that he is the man. I hope we give him enough weapons and support to have a shot at achieving that.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Mahdi
        How much better is Trent Edwards than Kellen Clemens really? They both started almost the same amount of games and their stats arent far off.

Trent has a 56% completion, 7TD, 8INT, 70.4 Rating in 9 starts

Kellen has a 52% completion, 5TD, 10INT, 60.9 Rating in 8 starts

The difference is minimal. Peronally Im not going to annoint Trent our QB of the future till I see a full season and proof that he is the man. I hope we give him enough weapons and support to have a shot at achieving that.
        This is why I hate stats. I watch alot of football and Kellen flat out blows. Kellen was a 2nd year player.

Comment

• Mahdi
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
          This is why I hate stats. I watch alot of football and Kellen flat out blows. Kellen was a 2nd year player.
          Fair enough. I agree that Trent's intangibles seem to be way better. All im saying is that the production and results need to be there before we can declare that we have a QB.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
            Roways rooking ahread!
            • Sep 2005

Bills have alot to prove on both sides of the ball. Turk's new schemes need to be much more advanced than previous years and our D gave up huge runs last year. I personally see the chance to win 11 or more based on schedule and a great draft. 1 more year and NE will be in our grasp and by 2010 we will be a SB contender.

Comment

• trapezeus
              Legendary Zoner
              • Oct 2004

i think if the bills can shed this "slow out the gates" start that they have had the last two years, then they can really take 2nd place easily and leave miami and NYJ behind.

However, if they hit another slow start, yet again, then it'll be a dog fight the entire year. We'll findout if Mangini just had a bad year last year or if he really wasn't ready to be an NFL coach. i think its the latter.

The dolphins were so bad last year, it's going to take some time. even with Parcells, i think they all know that this year is a wash, but that they'll get some good draft picks and some good direction.

The pats could be near the end. although i've said that since 2002 and have been wrong every year. but the good thing about just repeating the same thing year after year is that it's bound to be right at some point. Hopefully this is the year.

I just hope that the AFCE isn't like the SouthEast Division in hockey where you literally just get in for a round or two and then exit gracefully.

Comment

• feelthepain
                All-Pro Zoner
                • Mar 2005

No way in hell the Bills win 10 games.

Comment

• Mahdi
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by feelthepain
                  Its not a stretch by any means,,, we can beat your Phins 2ice and the Jets 2ice, thats 4 right there, we also play Arizona, San Fran, St-Louis, Cleveland, Kansas City, Denver, Oakland and Seattle. You cant say that there's NO WAY that we dont win 10. Its certainly possible.

Now im not saying that all of the above happens but we have a good shot of winning 10 games with that schedule and also considering the improvements we've made.

Comment

• baalworship
                    • May 2003

Jets look tougher but really it will come down to Edwards and his development for us. If we don't get him more weapons he will not improve much from last year.

Comment

• feelthepain
                      All-Pro Zoner
                      • Mar 2005

Its not a stretch by any means,,, we can beat your Phins 2ice and the Jets 2ice, thats 4 right there, we also play Arizona, San Fran, St-Louis, Cleveland, Kansas City, Denver, Oakland and Seattle. You cant say that there's NO WAY that we dont win 10. Its certainly possible.

Now im not saying that all of the above happens but we have a good shot of winning 10 games with that schedule and also considering the improvements we've made.

You only believe that cause you're a Bill fan. It's not something many outside Buffalo believe.

Comment

• feelthepain
                        All-Pro Zoner
                        • Mar 2005

Our Bills. I think this has been one of the most satisfying offseason's ever. The combination of moves they made and moves they didnt make were great. Getting Kawika Mitchell early was perfect and then following it up with the trade for Stroud was brilliant. Stroud gives us Pat Williams and Tommie Harris rolled into 1. Im not saying he is as good at run stuffing as Pat or as good at pass rushing as Tommie but he can do both very very well which is exactly what our DL needed. Not getting Bryant Johnson for a huge contract was equally brilliant. Although I wanted him at first for a modest price I would not have been happy to pay him a big contract. Johnson is unproven as a starter and he's actually not as physical as his size might suggest. Anyways, we definitely got better in the run stopping department and thats before discussing the return of PoZ. Although I dont know how he will fare as a MLB in general I do know that he is very good as a run stuffer. What will make our defense great is how well Poz can play the pass. If he can do the things that Brackett and Urlacher do for their defenses then our D can be top 10 easily. Of course Im assuming that the trust the FO has in Schobel and Kelsay is warranted and they can get to the QB early and often. I have been down on our DEs but if Stroud and our best DT from last year McCargo can push the pocket inside it should make things easier for our DEs and maybe they will produce at the level we all expect. The other key to our success will be our run blocking. Our OL proved that they can pass block extremely well but have shown a weakness when it comes to pounding opponents off the LOS in the run game. If Lynch can get up to 4.5 ypc like the other elite backs in the league our offense, assuming we have a genuine #2 WR and TE can really take off. Overall the Bills have most teams a tough time last year and with the additions in FA, trade and the draft it should be even tougher.

With all that said here is my prediciton for the AFCE:

Pats: 12-4

Bills: 10-6

Jets: 9-7

Dolphins: 6-10

Comments/Predictions welcome!

I see you make no real mention of Edwards. You speak of Beck like he has no talent, but you speak of everyones doing their part so Edwards can succeed in 08. Trent did little last year and had some bad games. He did nothing special to give anyone a reason to believe he is a future star. But Bill fans have totally given into the fact that their QB situation is solved. Funny how Bill fans use logic and the "facts" to determine the future.

Comment

• Mahdi
                          • Mar 2004

I see you make no real mention of Edwards. You speak of Beck like he has no talent, but you speak of everyones doing their part so Edwards can succeed in 08. Trent did little last year and had some bad games. He did nothing special to give anyone a reason to believe he is a future star. But Bill fans have totally given into the fact that their QB situation is solved. Funny how Bill fans use logic and the "facts" to determine the future.
                          Well im not one of the Bills fans who is convinced that our QB situation is solved. I think its still a question mark that needs to be answered. Thats why I didnt use Trent as a reason the Bills would be competitve. I will give him this though, he's smart, calm and from how the players talk of him seems to be a solid leader type, he's also pretty accurate with the football. Even you have to admit that Edwards has shown more than Beck has.

Comment

• jamze132
                            Don’t hate…
                            • Jun 2003

Pats - 13-3
                            Bills - 9-7
                            Jets - 8-8
                            Dolphins 6-10

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

yeah like no way in hell the bills will be a better team than the fins. Thats what you said at FH prior to the 2007 season starting .
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                              X