PDA

View Full Version : how much did we sign Will James for?

patmoran2006
04-08-2008, 08:00 AM
I honestly think this guy was signed to compete with Greer for a starting spot, loser gets the nickel.

I most DEFININITELY don't think he was brought in to be the 4th corner, we already have that chump Youboty for that.

This STRONGLY (and rightfully so, IMO) leads me to believe we're going WR first round; Kelly or Thomas.

The Wildcard COULD end up being not a corner, but Derrick Harvey. But in the end, I think the team will realize the importance of improving this passing game.

gr8slayer
04-08-2008, 08:03 AM
I just know his contract was for two years, two or three years ago I might have said the same thing you're saying but he's lost some of his game.

Mahdi
04-08-2008, 08:08 AM
I agree with Pat . The Bills would not have signed James if they wanted to go CB in the first. We are pretty much guaranteed one of the top 3 corners who are all just as good as the other. Mckelvin, Jenkins, DRC, so there was no need to sign James just in case we lost out because that wouldnt happen.

bigbub2352
04-08-2008, 10:35 AM
Couldnt agree more, WR will be the pick, i think it is more of a reach to take a CB from a small school at 11 then to reach for the top rated WR in the draft

KElly or Thomas
i prefer THomas size speed and cold weather WR would fit nicely

casdhf
04-08-2008, 11:01 AM
It's spelled deffenly, Pat.

jimbohastle51
04-08-2008, 11:10 AM
reports said he was getting number 2 corner money so that is around 3 million a year. probably half of it is performance pay based on how much he plays and his stats. but i dont konw if he will stop the bills from drafting a corner if anything he is a nice security blanket if we do draft a corner. we have 2 vets with alot of starting experience with mcgee and james so greer, youboty and the 11th pick would be able to compete and learn, just an opinion. if they are going to go reciever i hope we trade back a few spots because no reciever is worth a top 15 pick in this draft. but there are 3 that are worth mid - late first round picks.

Dr. Lecter
04-08-2008, 11:12 AM
According to Clump's cap page he is getting $750,000 this year.

jimbohastle51
04-08-2008, 11:15 AM
According to Clump's cap page he is getting $750,000 this year.

that sounds right for his base pay and there is a signing bonus and then probaby double the 2 for total bonuses that he can earn probably are 2 million to 3 million total somewhere in there.

patmoran2006
04-08-2008, 11:30 AM
unless they plan on cutting Youboty they aren't taking a CB, especially at 11

Mahdi
04-08-2008, 12:17 PM
unless they plan on cutting Youboty they aren't taking a CB, especially at 11
Youboty is a player I would like to see get a shot to compete for #2 CB. He did pretty well in our last game against Philly. Good tackler and nice size.

madness
04-08-2008, 02:36 PM
Youboty is a player I would like to see get a shot to compete for #2 CB. He did pretty well in our last game against Philly. Good tackler and nice size.

I'd like to see him lock down nickel first.

more cowbell
04-08-2008, 04:13 PM
We signed william james after bryant johnson decided not to sign with us. Kinda makes me believe that once we couldn't resolve the reciever issue in free agency we were going to corner so we could get a reciever in the draft...

PECKERWOOD
04-08-2008, 04:22 PM
I think James was brought in to compete with Youboty for the nickel spot. I hope that Greer and McGee are our starters on Day 1.

patmoran2006
04-08-2008, 05:44 PM
I actually think CB should'nt even be our THIRD priority, let alone first or second.

I think WR and TE are clearly a bigger need area. And I'd like a really solid DE to rotate in this system, because I dont trust Denney to stay healthy as the #3. I think that could make Harvey a wildcard in fact.

Saratoga Slim
04-08-2008, 06:39 PM
I actually think CB should'nt even be our THIRD priority, let alone first or second.

I think WR and TE are clearly a bigger need area. And I'd like a really solid DE to rotate in this system, because I dont trust Denney to stay healthy as the #3. I think that could make Harvey a wildcard in fact.

I agree. I'd much rather see us focus on the offense and improving the pass rush.

If we do take a CB at 11, I think we'll see a trade back into the late first round to guarantee we get a top WR. I think a big 2nd WR has been too oft discussed by Jauron & Co. for them to leave it to chance. If we forgo that need to draft a CB at 11, they're going to do what it takes to get that big WR too.

evol4276
04-08-2008, 08:05 PM
I agree. I'd much rather see us focus on the offense and improving the pass rush.

If we do take a CB at 11, I think we'll see a trade back into the late first round to guarantee we get a top WR. I think a big 2nd WR has been too oft discussed by Jauron & Co. for them to leave it to chance. If we forgo that need to draft a CB at 11, they're going to do what it takes to get that big WR too. i somehow could see this being how it goes. we've shown the last 2 years that if we want someone, we're getting them no matter what.

YardRat
04-08-2008, 08:17 PM

If we do take a CB at 11, I think we'll see a trade back into the late first round to guarantee we get a top WR. I think a big 2nd WR has been too oft discussed by Jauron & Co. for them to leave it to chance. If we forgo that need to draft a CB at 11, they're going to do what it takes to get that big WR too.

I could see the opposite happening also. If we go CB first, there's a good chance a WR drops to us in the second and there would be no need to trade up.

However, if we go WR first, and a coveted CB or DE starts dropping into the late first round they could be compelled to jump up and grab him.

IMO, tight end may not even be on the radar for the FO early in the draft, depending on how the DE's start to fall.

jimbohastle51
04-09-2008, 01:43 AM
We signed william james after bryant johnson decided not to sign with us. Kinda makes me believe that once we couldn't resolve the reciever issue in free agency we were going to corner so we could get a reciever in the draft...

nice opinion actually makes sense. i wanted us to get DRC but honestly kellys workout is tomorrow and reallistically they are so high on him if he has the stellar workout he is capable of then its almost a lock they'll grab him reach or not.

clumping platelets
04-09-2008, 02:00 AM
I do not have bonus info on him. Only his salaries $750,000 (2008) and $1 million (2009)

PECKERWOOD
04-09-2008, 02:02 AM
I do not have bonus info on him. Only his salaries $750,000 (2008) and $1 million (2009)

Sounds like something a veteran backup would get paid.

Yasgur's Farm
04-09-2008, 06:29 AM

I think WR and TE are clearly a bigger need area. And I'd like a really solid DE to rotate in this system, because I dont trust Denney to stay healthy as the #3. I think that could make Harvey a wildcard in fact.Yup. I got...

1- WR
2- TE
3- CB
4- WR
5- DE

... Top 5 priorities in order of magnitude.