PDA

View Full Version : Just how bad are Buffalo's Receivers?

YardRat
04-08-2008, 08:08 PM
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/story/2008/4/8/73941/89174

In order to get a more accurate view of the ineptitude of Buffalo's receiving corps (or lack thereof... bear with me), we're going to take a look at some different stats: yards after catch (YAC), yards per catch, drops, big catches (25+ yard gains), and first down percentage. These numbers may, in fact, shed a different light on the situation.
Crunching the Bonus Numbers

Here are the rankings, very briefly, I'll use in building my case that Buffalo's receivers - though woefully thin and need of an injection of talent - were actually better than they're given credit for last year:

<CENTER>- YAC Ranking: #19 in NFL, 91.6 yards per game (1,466 yards after catch)
- Big Catch (25+) Ranking: #30 in NFL, 15 big catches
- Drops Ranking: #4 in NFL with just 17 drops
- Yards per Catch Rank: #22 in NFL, 10.8 YPC
- 100-Yard Games Rank: T-10 in NFL, 2 100-yard games
- First Down % Rank: #21 in NFL, 53.6% of all receptions were first downs

- First Downs Rank: #29 in NFL, 141 receiving first downs
</CENTER><CENTER></CENTER>These were, at least in my view, some surprising statistics. Let me reiterate: this is not an exoneration of Buffalo's receiving corps. Clearly, the unit is flawed, and I fully expect the position to be heavily addressed in the draft. But these stats tell us that there was much more to the passing game struggles than the receivers themselves.

coastal
04-08-2008, 08:44 PM
The coaching had everything to do with how bad that unit performed last year.

feelthepain
04-08-2008, 08:54 PM
So it's not the players respnosibility to play and the coaches responsibility to coach? A route, is a route, is a route. It doesn't matter what play is called, it's the players responsibility to make it happen. After all they are making Millions of dollars to catch a football, it's the least they could do.

acehole
04-08-2008, 08:57 PM

Really? I just though our WR sucked.

OpIv37
04-08-2008, 09:14 PM
This article deeply concerned me because of Jauron's new 3 step drop philosophy.

If part of the problem last year was receivers catching the ball 5 yards past the LOS, going to quick slants and 3 step drops isn't going to solve that problem.

mysticsoto
04-08-2008, 09:20 PM
So it's not the players respnosibility to play and the coaches responsibility to coach? A route, is a route, is a route. It doesn't matter what play is called, it's the players responsibility to make it happen. After all they are making Millions of dollars to catch a football, it's the least they could do.

It doesn't matter what play is called? This is why nobody takes your football posts seriously. You are a complete vaccum when it comes to football knowledge...

feelthepain
04-08-2008, 09:28 PM
It doesn't matter what play is called? This is why nobody takes your football posts seriously. You are a complete vaccum when it comes to football knowledge...

Yeah, what was I thinking, it's the coaches fault the WR's don't catch passes or run good routes.

Mitchy moo
04-08-2008, 09:30 PM

Thank god you have Ginn that helped your team to a 1-15 record, lol. He didn't make it happen.

Devin
04-08-2008, 09:32 PM
keep it civil fellas.

Dr. Lecter
04-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Yeah, what was I thinking, it's the coaches fault the WR's don't catch passes or run good routes.

There were near the bottom of the league in drops, so that was not the problem.

raphael120
04-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Those stats mean jack to me. How many more times did we run the ball than throw the ball? Im guessing we ran a lot more than we passed. The only stat that matters to me is the pathetic stats like 0 receptions for 0 yards to Lee Evans.

Dr. Lecter
04-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Those stats mean jack to me. How many more times did we run the ball than throw the ball? Im guessing we ran a lot more than we passed. The only stat that matters to me is the pathetic stats like 0 receptions for 0 yards to Lee Evans.

The Bills threw 445 passes, were sacked 26 times and ran the ball 448 times.

So it was pretty equal.

PECKERWOOD
04-08-2008, 10:03 PM
I think Roscoe is going kick ass in our new system. The 3 step drop means that we are going to rely on our recievers to make things happen AFTER the catch. A little dink and dunk here to Roscoe and I'm sure he is going to hit some homeruns.

acehole
04-08-2008, 10:31 PM
I think Roscoe is going kick ass in our new system. The 3 step drop means that we are going to rely on our recievers to make things happen AFTER the catch. A little dink and dunk here to Roscoe and I'm sure he is going to hit some homeruns.

Little tiny baby dwarf ass...

justasportsfan
04-09-2008, 08:54 AM

So I guess your team blows. 1-15 had nothing to do with Cam. Your team has no talent then and yet you brought in nobodies.

justasportsfan
04-09-2008, 08:56 AM
this means no long bomb to Lee. Lee will be running shorter routes for a 3 step drop. We may be running a WCOish system.

feelthepain
04-09-2008, 08:58 AM
So I guess your team blows. 1-15 had nothing to do with Cam. Your team has no talent then and yet you brought in nobodies.

This thread isn't about Miami, but you constantly try to make it about Miami. Grow up.

justasportsfan
04-09-2008, 09:00 AM
This thread isn't about Miami, but you constantly try to make it about Miami. Grow up.
in other words. you agree. 1-15 reflects the lack of talent on your team :up:

feelthepain
04-09-2008, 09:21 AM
in other words. you agree. 1-15 reflects the lack of talent on your team :up:
Once again you ignore the loss of talent to injury. This is what you do, you look at only the things that make your team look better and act like that's all there is....wrong!! When in fact your team had their full compliment of starters on O for the 07 season and the Bills couldn't manage to beat the Dolphins in offensive statistics over a 16 game schedule. That's alright, don't answer to that cause you never do anyways, basically cause you have no answer. You point fingers at how bad the Dolphins are, but your team couldn't manage to outperform the Dolphins statistically. You're so slow you don't even understand what that means.

Perspective....Miami lost Green, Brown and Chambers at their bye week (week 5) and still played the remaining schedule with two different QB's (one was a rookie) and 3 different RB's and just one starting experienced WR, a rookie C and backup LG and RT. Yet still put up better number then the "ALLMIGHTY in your opinion" Bills through 16 games. It's really evident how little you know about your own team and what they really are when you point fingers at the Dolphins, laugh at them and the Bills are worse on offense statistically.

You should really stick to knitting, cause you know little about football. That, or you just like looking foolish when you point fingers at other teams that are statistically better with far less help.

justasportsfan
04-09-2008, 09:25 AM
Once again you ignore the loss of talent to injury. This is what you do, you look at only the tings that make your team look better and act like that's all there is....wrong!! When in fact your team had their full compliment of starters on O for the 07 season and the Bills couldn't manage to beat the Dolphins in offensive statistics over a 16 game schedule. That's alright, don't answer to that cause you never do anyways, basically cause you have no answer. You point fingers at how bad the Dolphins are, but your team couldn't manage to outperform the Dolphins statistically. You're so slow you don't even understand what that means.

Perspective....Miami lost Green, Brown and Chambers at their bye week (week 5) and still played the remaining schedule with two different QB's (one was a rookie) and 3 different RB's and just one starting experienced WR, a rookie C and backup LG and RT. Yet still put up better number then the "ALLMIGHTY in your opinion" Bills through 16 games. It's really evident how little you know about your own team and what they really are when you point fingers at the Dolphins, laugh at them and the Bills are worse on offense statistically.

You should really stick to knitting, cause you know little about football. That, or you just like looking foolish when you point fingers at other teams that are statistically better with far less help.
Green was done in KC. Chambers is a no. 2 . I already said other than Brown the fins are talentless. 1-15 relects that. You're a finfan in denial but facts are facts. 1-15 .Suck on it

Jan Reimers
04-09-2008, 09:31 AM
I don't care how you cut it, Evans, Reed and Parrish are not enough to form a really competitive receiving corps in the NFL. We need two quality WRs in the draft, plus a pass catching TE, to give us any chance of getting better, regardless of scheme or QB.

patmoran2006
04-09-2008, 09:32 AM
AND wr's like Reed and Parrish and Price, who could rarely seperate have nothing to do with it?

feelthepain
04-09-2008, 09:33 AM
Green was done in KC. Chambers is a no. 2 . I already said other than Brown the fins are talentless. 1-15 relects that. You're a finfan in denial but facts are facts. 1-15 .Suck on it

And yet without Brown and Chambers and Green Miami still managed to put up better numbers then the Bills...what about that don't you get? Talk about denial.....you're a joke.

justasportsfan
04-09-2008, 09:37 AM
And yet without Brown and Chambers and Green Miami still managed to put up better numbers then the Bills...what about that don't you get? Talk about denial.....you're a joke.
1-15. Last in the league. The fins are drafting first. Your record does not lie. You have 1-15 talent. Don't worry, I don't think you can screw up the talent with the no.1 pick so you have something to look forward to this season. Maybe you'll be a 1.5 - 14.5 team after the draft :up:

feelthepain
04-09-2008, 10:16 AM
1-15. Last in the league. The fins are drafting first. Your record does not lie. You have 1-15 talent. Don't worry, I don't think you can screw up the talent with the no.1 pick so you have something to look forward to this season. Maybe you'll be a 1.5 - 14.5 team after the draft :up:
On the other hand, your "better team" can screw things up cause they refuse to win games aginst good teams (kind of importantant if you want to be more then, *"Buffalo Bill fan good") and your opinion of their talent is just that, an opinion. They can't seem to manage better numbers then the Dolphins over a 16 game schedule. Everyone seems to know this but Bill fans....must be a berth defect!

*Definition: "Buffalo Bill fan good"

[...To be good in their own minds, even though their favorite football team can't win games against good teams, have a winning record for more then 4 years or make the playoffs in nearly a decade. Their imperial denial leader, justasportsfan.]

trapezeus
04-09-2008, 10:53 AM
i'm not terribly worried about more 3 step drop backs. if it's effective with a big TE and another WR not named reed, i think it'll open up the long ball. And if the running game is a little more imaginative, i think we'll be able to keep defenses honest about whether to play the run or the pass.

The offense in no way is looking to be the K gun, though edwards seemed to be more comfortable in a hurry up offense last year. but the key here is time of possession and turning those FG drives into TD drives.

Philagape
04-09-2008, 11:10 AM
AND wr's like Reed and Parrish and Price, who could rarely seperate have nothing to do with it?

It's another example of bad coaching AND bad players. It doesn't have to be one or the other.
Saying a player is misused and they should do this or that with him, what that's saying is the strengths of that player are limited. When a player can do only certain things right, the answer is not to change how that player is used; the answer is to find another player. You want players who make the playbook bigger, not smaller. Goes for any position (well except maybe kickers).
Like I said all last year, it was a perfect storm of bad players and bad coaching. That's how you get at the worst offense in Bills history.

ddaryl
04-09-2008, 12:02 PM
which is why I would like the Bills to pick up 2 WR's in this draft. One with pure size, and one with speed YAC ability

also Evans has still not signed and extension, and the Bills can ill afford to not have WR's in place if he is going ot be a goner next season.

mysticsoto
04-09-2008, 01:13 PM
On the other hand, your "better team" can screw things up cause they refuse to win games aginst good teams (kind of importantant if you want to be more then, *"Buffalo Bill fan good") and your opinion of their talent is just that, an opinion. They can't seem to manage better numbers then the Dolphins over a 16 game schedule. Everyone seems to know this but Bill fans....must be a berth defect!

*Definition: "Buffalo Bill fan good"

[...To be good in their own minds, even though their favorite football team can't win games against good teams, have a winning record for more then 4 years or make the playoffs in nearly a decade. Their imperial denial leader, justasportsfan.]

Funny how you resort to statistics on any occasion you can except the one that really counts and that tells the whole story. You were 1-15. We refused to win against good teams? You refused to win against all teams, bad or good!

Nothing will change the fact that we swept you again. And you can't whine about injuries b'cse we had even more than you! And we still whooped you - if I remember correctly, Wilson - our 3rd stringer safety was intercepting and taking balls into the endzone. How embarrasing to be beaten by some of our 3rd stringers.

Go ahead, try and pull all the "statistics" you can. The W/L is the only one that counts and we've owned you for quite a long time now...you better get some new Olinemen or we'll be harassing and owning you again this year!

Then you'll have to come up with new excuses and look for different statistics...