• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

The NEW NHL- A seller's market

Did anyone catch this article in the Buffalo News?

The article goes through Miller's stats over the course of the season:

Originally posted by Buffalo News
    Miller could use the break. The 27- year-old played a team-record 76 games, going 36-27-10 with a 2.64 goals-against average and .906 save percentage. His numbers fell as the 6- foot-2, 166-pounder wore down from playing 34 games in a row.

There were 22 goalies who played at least 10 games in March. Miller’s save percentage of .883 was dead last. He had a 3.21 GAA, which ranked 21st of 22. By contrast, he was third in January in GAA (1.97) and fourth in save percentage (.928).
    Then Miller goes on to basically admit that he wasn't a professional at times and needs to improve:

Originally posted by Ryan Miller
    “I had some moments where I lacked focus,” Miller said. “Part of it is fatigue, learning how to manage that. I’m not taking it as an excuse; I need to learn how to manage that. I think I failed in some situations. I was bad in some situations. Overall, though, I think I battled. I competed. I came to the rink, I played. So looking at me, I want to get a break, mentally. I need a break.”
    Originally posted by Ryan Miller
    “I don’t think I started at a high enough level,” Miller said. “I think I was a little distracted. I’m not using that as an excuse. We’re professionals, you just show up. But early on, some family stuff left me . . . I didn’t get out of the blocks. Already, we’d slipped. Midseason, I felt good. Later on, I had some games where I just [made] some mistakes. It’s my job to learn how to manage the workload, get the practice you need, get the workouts you need.

“I had some very uncharacteristic games. I was inconsistent. I had a lot of what I consider bad goals, where either my awareness wasn’t good enough, my focus wasn’t good enough. I learned a lot this year. I really think I’m going to be a lot better next year.”
    Yet, despite the stats and Miller admitting his own shortcomings, the article is about keeping him here and what we need to do that. Basically, Miller ****ed up but he's still a hot commodity.

The NHL learned NOTHING from the lockout. Players' salaries are going to continue to go up, and continue to get out of proportion with their actual performance. I'm not blaming Miller for this- he certainly didn't create this situation- he's just the example.

So, the FO will throw money at him hoping he looks like the Ryan Miller of 2 years ago and not the Ryan Miller of this year. Or they'll let him go and overpay some marginal back-up to take his place. Either way, it's a big gamble.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • LABillsFan
    • Aug 2002

Re: The NEW NHL- A seller's market

It happens to the best. Miller is mature enough to recognize his short comings this season and yeah, he and the team probably could use the break, wanted or not. I do expect some serious improvement next season, not unrealistic but due to the fact they'll get their rest and learn from this year. Even Detroit finishing 1st. a few years ago got routed in the first round, yes they made it to the playoffs, but they gassed out and came back the next.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
      Zero for Zero!
      • Mar 2003

So he needs to improve and admits it?

I also think most of us knew that his cousin's death was in his mind, at least early in the season.
      Originally posted by mysticsoto
      Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
        Roways rooking ahread!
        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter

I also think most of us knew that his cousin's death was in his mind, at least early in the season.
        Wow, that probably threw him off a bit. RIP.

Comment

• raphael120
          Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
          • Oct 2005

Very rarely do players get paid based on what they're worth NOW. It's always what theyre worth because of the past (Miller) or what they could be (Vanek).

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

no, that's not the problem.

The problem is that he admits he needs to improve, but Quinn is already talking about signing him. That's right- we're going to throw money at a guy who admits he needs to improve.

raph is right- guys are getting paid on what they've done in the past or on potential instead of what they're actually worth. It's going to lead to another lockout.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
              Zero for Zero!
              • Mar 2003

I don't disagree that it will lead to a lockout (well, something they can't have another work stoppage or the league will fold)

But the Sabres also have no choice in the matter. They have to sign the guy.

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
                I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
                • May 2005

Yeah, because I want a guy that says he's great and feels no need to improve SO much more than somebody that WANTS to get better... You continue to blow my mind every day around here Op.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                  Zero for Zero!
                  • Mar 2003

Also look at any of the all-time greats in sports (Gretzky, Jordan, Woods, Brady, etc.) They always talk about the need to improve.

(I am NOT placing Miller in that cateory.)

I really don't think this is a big deal and you are over-reacting.

Comment

• RockStar36
                    Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                    • Sep 2004

I'm glad he says he needs to improve. I've actually thought the one part of his game that he neds work on is the mental side of things. That being said, he is the franchise goaltender and the Sabres must resign him.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Dude
                      that slimey ass of an ***** at the zone
                      • Feb 2005

I don't want a player who has no desire to elevate his game.

Comment

• DMBcrew36
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
                        Did anyone catch this article in the Buffalo News?

The article goes through Miller's stats over the course of the season:

Then Miller goes on to basically admit that he wasn't a professional at times and needs to improve:

Yet, despite the stats and Miller admitting his own shortcomings, the article is about keeping him here and what we need to do that. Basically, Miller ****ed up but he's still a hot commodity.

The NHL learned NOTHING from the lockout. Players' salaries are going to continue to go up, and continue to get out of proportion with their actual performance. I'm not blaming Miller for this- he certainly didn't create this situation- he's just the example.

So, the FO will throw money at him hoping he looks like the Ryan Miller of 2 years ago and not the Ryan Miller of this year. Or they'll let him go and overpay some marginal back-up to take his place. Either way, it's a big gamble.

I agree with all your Bills-related posts and think very highly of what you have to say in that regard. But I'm going to have to step out on this one, though, since hockey is my forte.

There are two reasons why it looks like Miller didn't have a great year. One, our team defense was terrible (and looked even worse once Campbell left). Miller faced the second most shots in the league and saw more breakaways and odd-man rushes than probably any other 'tender in the league. The forwards need to come back, help more, and be in position for a breakout.

And secondly, he was forced to play way too many games because our backup goaltender was terrible on most nights. But, to be fair to Thibault, he also had to deal with the crappy team defense. Regardless, Ruff knew he couldn't count on his backup and thus Miller had to play to the point of mental and physical exhaustion. Miller was at his playoff weight of 150lbs with two months left in the season. He was riden until he was no longer sharp, but at that point it was impossible to get him a break when we were just in the thick of the playoff hunt.

Nothing has changed the fact that Miller is a very good goaltender who has shown the ability to turn it up in the playoffs and become a difference-maker - THAT is why Quinn has already acknowledged the need to resign him, despite the talk of 'needed improvement.' He is still our franchise goaltender and needs to be locked up - it really is priority #1. And the improvement isn't really all about him. The team needs to acquire a solid backup so Miller can get the rest he needs. Ruff has also acknowledged that he needs the defense to improve next season.

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by BlackMetalNinja
                          Yeah, because I want a guy that says he's great and feels no need to improve SO much more than somebody that WANTS to get better... You continue to blow my mind every day around here Op.
                          How about a guy who says "I was good but I can still get better" instead of a guy who says "I wasn't as professional as I could have been, I had some bad games and I need to improve"?

See the difference? The guy had a bad season and we're going to throw money at him.

You continue to blow my mind by defending the organization throwing money at a guy who didn't perform.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Also look at any of the all-time greats in sports (Gretzky, Jordan, Woods, Brady, etc.) They always talk about the need to improve.

(I am NOT placing Miller in that cateory.)

I really don't think this is a big deal and you are over-reacting.
                            right but the key difference there is "I'm good but I can get better" vs "I ****ed up so I NEED to get better".

Awful comparison.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by DMBcrew36
                              I agree with all your Bills-related posts and think very highly of what you have to say in that regard. But I'm going to have to step out on this one, though, since hockey is my forte.

There are two reasons why it looks like Miller didn't have a great year. One, our team defense was terrible (and looked even worse once Campbell left). Miller faced the second most shots in the league and saw more breakaways and odd-man rushes than probably any other 'tender in the league. The forwards need to come back, help more, and be in position for a breakout.

And secondly, he was forced to play way too many games because our backup goaltender was terrible on most nights. But, to be fair to Thibault, he also had to deal with the crappy team defense. Regardless, Ruff knew he couldn't count on his backup and thus Miller had to play to the point of mental and physical exhaustion. Miller was at his playoff weight of 150lbs with two months left in the season. He was riden until he was no longer sharp, but at that point it was impossible to get him a break when we were just in the thick of the playoff hunt.

Nothing has changed the fact that Miller is a very good goaltender who has shown the ability to turn it up in the playoffs and become a difference-maker - THAT is why Quinn has already acknowledged the need to resign him, despite the talk of 'needed improvement.' He is still our franchise goaltender and needs to be locked up - it really is priority #1. And the improvement isn't really all about him. The team needs to acquire a solid backup so Miller can get the rest he needs. Ruff has also acknowledged that he needs the defense to improve next season.
                              I agree with you on the back up thing and I'll admit that it hurt Miller, but Miller himself refused to use that as an excuse. I said in other posts that we all knew that losing Drury and Briere would hurt, but no one thought losing Biron and Conklin would be such a big deal.

But according to Bucky Gleason, the Sabres gave up 5 less goals in 07-08 than they did in 06-07, but they scored 47 less.

So, while I think Tallinder is the only defenseman we have that's worth a damn, the stats really don't show defense as being the problem. There were times when Miller had no chance because of the D, but he also let it some soft goals that were his fault (and he even admitted it in the article).
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X