• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raphael120
    Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
    • Oct 2005

Melvin Fowler Is Weakest Link, MUST GO!

Also and interesting read about how well Butler did...I think the kid can play and should remain a starter at RG.

Ah, that's much better. The double returns wasn't working but the p inside of the sideways carats did the trick. Thanks Kurupt. I looked at each lineman on every play during the 14 games my...

Some people seem to think center isn't an issue for Buffalo. Silly people! Fowler was responsible for killing 17 (42.5% of 40 run plays killed by the line). He needs to go, and not just where the DT pushes him. In watching the line I was struck by how many times NFL.com (game stats) or the announcers stated that Buffalo had run up the middle when they hadn't. Yes, the Bills often run where the middle of the line began the play but they almost never run between the center and (either) guard. Rather, the guard and tackle from one side crash down the line creating (the top of)an 'L' (or backwards 'L') with the center, other guard and other tackle forming the bottom of the 'L'. The tight end and wide receiver form the other wall (parallel to the top of the 'L') to create the running lane. The blocking scheme literally takes into account the fact that Fowler can't drive virtually any DT off of the ball. Butler, on the other hand, is a real find. He would definitely make the roster on the playoff teams and might even start for some of them. Watching him play it became clear why the staff likes him. He, alone amongst the Bills linemen, can be counted on to routinely finish off blocks. The others, by contrast, sometimes (not often but sometimes) quit before the whistle, allowing the guy they are blocking to get back into a slow to develop play.
  • PECKERWOOD
    Defies all logic
    • Oct 2006

Re: Melvin Fowler Is Weakest Link, MUST GO!

No run game up the middle... You do realize that the OG's are equally as responsible for the run game up the gut as the C is right? I'm not completely sold on Butler OR Fowler.. I think both positions could be upgraded.

Comment

• Michael82
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BuffaloFever
      No run game up the middle... You do realize that the OG's are equally as responsible for the run game up the gut as the C is right? I'm not completely sold on Butler OR Fowler.. I think both positions could be upgraded.
      I agree!

Comment

• Lexwhat
        • Feb 2005

I'm glad there was an article written about this.

I really can't understand why people defend Melvin Fowler. How often do our runs get stopped at the LOS? Fowler isnt the worst, and the our other players arent the best, but our line needs upgrading.

Are we going to upgrade Peters, Dockery, or Walker? Absolutely not. That leaves only Butler and Fowler. Butler is still young, and has upside, so I wouldn't demote him. Fowler is the only man left that we could really upgrade.

A mean center would do wonders for this team. It's been so long.

Comment

• Lexwhat
          • Feb 2005

By the way, I do NOT think Fowler should be cut. He can be vaulable depth for both Guard and Center. Fowler can be what Duke Preston is now.

Duke Preston is a BUST.

Comment

• jimbohastle51
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Feb 2005

the only reason butler wasnt well known coming out of college is because he was the RT on a line that had an ELITE LT in d'brickishaw fergueson, not too mention there QB at the time was a fast mobile QB.

Comment

• jimbohastle51
              All-Pro Zoner
              • Feb 2005

butler should deffinatly be starting and with what we are paying our top 3 offensive linemen(peters, dockery, walker) he is the equalizer as far as pay goes (what we are not paying him helps us pay dockerys monster salary) fowler is great for depth but we should take a center maybe with one of our 2 4ths to give him competition, and eventually take over. we really do have a very solid offensive line, with preston and whittle as the backups that is one of our strong points.

Comment

• Mahdi
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by BuffaloFever
                Of course the Guards have a lot to do with running up the gut... however if the C is consistently getting pushed around, even if the guard makes his block there wont be enough room for the RB to squeeze through the line OR it will delay his run enough to get contact near or behind the LOS. Fowler is too finesse for my liking. Im hearing that Matt Birk is not happy about not being re-signed to a good contract before he becomes FA next season. He would be a great pick-up.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                  Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                  • May 2003

Some of you cannot seem to understand that Butler is a very good player now - read the article again if you didn't the first time - and he is young, smart, and dedicated to getting better.

We need to replace Fowler, but Butler is a potential Pro Bowler.
                  Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• ddaryl
                    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                    • Jan 2005

I agree... I don't think Butler deserves to be mentioned al0ong with Fowler as weak.

Fowler is defintiely the weakest link by a wide margin.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                      Zero for Zero!
                      • Mar 2003

Butler was the most improved player on the Bills last year. I really liked how far he came along by the end of the year.
                      Originally posted by mysticsoto
                      Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                        Too sober for this...
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                        Butler was the most improved player on the Bills last year. I really liked how far he came along by the end of the year.
                        Really? You'd give it to Butler? I thought Wilson stepped up big time after Ko and Leonard went down. In that game against Miami, he was on his way to having a monster game before he got hurt. And before we say, "that's b'cse it was just Miami"...let's remember that the superbowl winners barely beat Miami by 3 pts...

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                          Zero for Zero!
                          • Mar 2003

Butler and Wilson are pretty close, imo. But Butler played all year and squeaks it out, imo.
                          Originally posted by mysticsoto
                          Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                            • May 2003

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                            I totally agree. We seem to have a problem on this board with young players who are not superstars immediately. Butler came out of UVA with an injury, didn't play much his first year, and then his second year was switched from his college position (RT) to RG. In just one season, he progressed into a very nice player.

If we give him a chance to develop further, rather than replacing him, we will have a very strong RG for many seasons to come.
                            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• codabills
                              • Aug 2005

I think we should wait to see what Kohler can do with Fowler. Kohler was know to coach/teach to play mean.

Comment

Working...
                              X