PDA

View Full Version : I'll Throw My Dart - Devin Thomas Will Be The Pick

Night Train
04-09-2008, 06:08 AM
The questions among the other top WRs may have opened the door for Michigan State junior Devin Thomas to be the first player selected this year at the position. Indeed, there have been rumblings that Buffalo, with the 11th pick overall, is taking a long look at Thomas, who has a unique combination of 6-1, 215-pound size and sub-4.4 speed. The only real question regarding Thomas is the fact that he was something of a one-year wonder at Michigan State where he only really emerged as a top target in 2007. Emerge Thomas did, though, as he caught 79 passes for 1,250 yards for a team which really didn’t throw the ball al that well; for good measure, Thomas was also one of the top kick returners in college football as he averaged over 29 yards per return. - Scouts Inc.

I've been thinking CB all along.. but the way I see the draft falling, in addition to health issues with other prospects, has me thinking this guy is probably the safest and most healthy selection, at a position of dire need. He may also prove to be the best WR anyhow.

The new Michigan St. coach arrives last year and immediately finds ways to get the ball in this guys hands as much as possible. Receiving, reverses, kick returns, punt returns. Just get him the ball. Everyone knew he was getting the ball and he still racked up well over 2000 all purpose yards. He played a lot in junior college, so that 1 year wonder stuff is not an issue.

I'm fine with this. Select this talented WR and move on to the next need.

Go Bills !

Confused
04-09-2008, 06:17 AM
I hope your wrong. James Hardy is a proven redzone target. I dont like the fact that Thomas is only 6'1. His verticle wasnt great. Hardy on the other hand is 6'5, Plenty fast, is the strongest of the top 5 WR's, had a great combine, and has a great verticle( plus he's 6'5). If we trade down like i think, the titans take sweed leaving us to choose tween Thomas,HArdy, And Kelly. Of the three only Kellyy and Hardy are physical specimens of what we need at the no2 wide-out position. Unless Kelly knocks some serious socks off this week it leaves only Hardy. my $.02.

Yasgur's Farm
04-09-2008, 06:25 AM
We need to come out of round 1 with 1 of these 4. If we come out with an extra pick, it'll be a very nice bonus.

NO TRADE UPS PLEASE... IN ANY ROUND!

Night Train
04-09-2008, 07:51 AM
I hope your wrong. James Hardy is a proven redzone target. I dont like the fact that Thomas is only 6'1. His verticle wasnt great. Hardy on the other hand is 6'5, Plenty fast, is the strongest of the top 5 WR's, had a great combine, and has a great verticle( plus he's 6'5). If we trade down like i think, the titans take sweed leaving us to choose tween Thomas,HArdy, And Kelly. Of the three only Kellyy and Hardy are physical specimens of what we need at the no2 wide-out position. Unless Kelly knocks some serious socks off this week it leaves only Hardy. my $.02.

He's also PROVEN in the off-field issues catagory, which means the Bills may not even have him on their board. No to Hardy.

Kelly will be graded out today.

Suddenly, 6-1 and 215 isn't big enough. Good grief.

bigbub2352
04-09-2008, 09:24 AM
He actually measured at the combine at 6ft2 and 218lbs, and i luv this pick. a cold weather WR, and he has a ton of talent speed, acceleration YAC ability, great hands, and plays nasty

I have been saying this for a month now i would luv him at 11 even if some think he is a reach, he looks like Andre Reed clone, and faster

Please let this happen
then take bennett in rd 2

Jaybird
04-09-2008, 09:33 AM
hardy has character issues... he also has bust wrotten all over him

Jan Reimers
04-09-2008, 09:49 AM
I hope your wrong. James Hardy is a proven redzone target.
But that's about all he is at this point. He is not nearly the all-around receiver that Thomas - or Kelly - is. Plus, the character issues might scare the Bills away.

Night Train
04-09-2008, 10:50 AM
Thomas may also be a wise pick long term, since Lee Evans is not signed after 2008.

A #2 WR with #1 WR skills. He showed he could carry the heavy load last season, even when everyone in the stadium knew he was getting the ball.

That's something Kelly,Sweed, Hardy and several other big name WR's haven't shown.

Confused
04-09-2008, 04:56 PM
With the day the Kelly had, I think we'd have to take Thomas at eleven. Cincy and Tennesee could take WR's in the 1st, with Tenessee probably taking Sweed anyway. Why not trade down and get a pick or two.

Yes, 6'2ish guys arent big enough when you want a Plaxico or Fitzgerald or Roy Williams or Vincent Jackson or Braylon Edwards.

James Hardy=Keyshawn. Thomas=Eric Moulds.

Confused
04-09-2008, 04:59 PM
hardy has character issues... he also has bust wrotten all over him

His character issues are not enough to keep him out of the 1st round. That old fart who couldnt win a superbowl was the only shmutz @ OBD who cared too much about character. Last I knew he retired at the end of last season.

PECKERWOOD
04-09-2008, 05:38 PM
Devin Thomas would be awesome at #11 however, it's starting to look like we can steal a good WR in round 2! Here is a hint: He ran a 4.68 on his pro day!

feelthepain
04-09-2008, 05:45 PM
The questions among the other top WRs may have opened the door for Michigan State junior Devin Thomas to be the first player selected this year at the position. Indeed, there have been rumblings that Buffalo, with the 11th pick overall, is taking a long look at Thomas, who has a unique combination of 6-1, 215-pound size and sub-4.4 speed. The only real question regarding Thomas is the fact that he was something of a one-year wonder at Michigan State where he only really emerged as a top target in 2007. Emerge Thomas did, though, as he caught 79 passes for 1,250 yards for a team which really didn’t throw the ball al that well; for good measure, Thomas was also one of the top kick returners in college football as he averaged over 29 yards per return. - Scouts Inc.

I've been thinking CB all along.. but the way I see the draft falling, in addition to health issues with other prospects, has me thinking this guy is probably the safest and most healthy selection, at a position of dire need. He may also prove to be the best WR anyhow.

The new Michigan St. coach arrives last year and immediately finds ways to get the ball in this guys hands as much as possible. Receiving, reverses, kick returns, punt returns. Just get him the ball. Everyone knew he was getting the ball and he still racked up well over 2000 all purpose yards. He played a lot in junior college, so that 1 year wonder stuff is not an issue.

I'm fine with this. Select this talented WR and move on to the next need.

Go Bills !

I think the Bills could do much worse.

bflojohn
04-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Why do people constantly harp on the vertical when it means that you're covered and you are forced to outjump the competition! Devin Thomas will get open in the end zone, so it'll be up to Trent or J.P. to get him the ball. I'll simply take the guy who outruns coverage rather than jumping over it....

coastal
04-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Let's not outsmart ourselves...

Bills fans are going to love Thomas if we draft him.

Kenny
04-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Why do people constantly harp on the vertical when it means that you're covered and you are forced to outjump the competition! Devin Thomas will get open in the end zone, so it'll be up to Trent or J.P. to get him the ball. I'll simply take the guy who outruns coverage rather than jumping over it....

huh? then what's the point of getting a big WR?
If you simply want a guy who'll outrun coverage, let's go for another shrimp at WR and pick Deshaun Jackson.

Confused
04-09-2008, 07:05 PM
huh? then what's the point of getting a big WR?
If you simply want a guy who'll outrun coverage, let's go for another shrimp at WR and pick Deshaun Jackson.

The average CB in the NFL is around 5'10" and weigh about 205lbs. The Average linebacker is 6'2 250lbs give or take. A big guy like Hardy is a better target in the endzone. He will win one-on-one matchups. Height pays.

Confused
04-09-2008, 07:08 PM

There are too many bodies in that little area to "outrun coverage". The big guys can fight for the ball and in Hardy's case be not only one of the tallest guys and have that hight PLUS a huge verticle?

Confused
04-09-2008, 07:09 PM
Devin Thomas would be awesome at #11 however, it's starting to look like we can steal a good WR in round 2! Here is a hint: He ran a 4.68 on his pro day!

He would be a great third round steal. there i said it.

The Jokeman
04-09-2008, 10:59 PM
People focus on the vertical because when you have a WR running a fade route in the end zone you want a guy with hops that can out leap the DB covering him. I like Thomas and with Kelly's poor performance I think Devin's now the second ranked WR in the draft behind Limas Sweed.

justasportsfan
04-10-2008, 09:01 AM
Devin Thomas visiting Dolphins
April 9, 2008 Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 5:04 PM ET | Link

DEVIN THOMAS VISITING DOLPHINS: According to the Palm Beach Post's Tim Graham, Michigan State WR Devin Thomas is making a pre-draft visit with the Dolphins. Interesting that Miami is considering a receiver expected to go anywhere between 15 and 25 in round one. They're probably just doing their due diligence in the event that a trade down option presents itself, though I doubt anyone is willing to trade up to the top pick knowing the steep price it will take to get there. ---

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

Ginn and Thomas. :scratch: Could be a great 1 & 2 .... if they had Marino in his prime.

djjimkelly
04-10-2008, 09:41 AM
im getting a weird feeling dominique rogers cromartie is gonna be the pick.

i hope i got his name right.

anyway 6'2ish 4.33 speed his vert is off the chart this is the type of guy we need locking up on moss for the next few years.

secondary must be a priority considering we play those pass happy pats twice a year.

also when we change coaches and schemes in 2009 he will be a major plus!!!!