PDA

View Full Version : Why would the Bills draft M. Kelly now?

Mitchy moo
04-09-2008, 01:18 PM
He is injured and has lineman speed, so he is less useful to us. The 3 step drop that we are going to use requires that extra .3 of a second.

Is this worrying anyone?

PECKERWOOD
04-09-2008, 01:20 PM
If Kelly is available when we pick in the 2nd round, he will be a Bill, take that to the bank.

Mr. Miyagi
04-09-2008, 01:24 PM
take that to the bank.
Did we hear it here first?

Mitchy moo
04-09-2008, 01:29 PM
If Kelly is available when we pick in the 2nd round, he will be a Bill, take that to the bank.

If it's our 2nd pick without trading up, yeah he most likely will come aboard. The Bills are not going to move back up into the 1st to draft him now.

PECKERWOOD
04-09-2008, 01:34 PM
Did we hear it here first?

Yup. I know a friend of a friend, who has a cousin and his best friend's friend works at OBD and he says that the Bills are seriously looking to attain Kelly in the 2nd round.

Jan Reimers
04-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Because every indicator - except his 40 time, which is most likely the result of injury and inactivity - points to him being a very good WR.

Mitchy moo
04-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Yup. I know a friend of a friend, who has a cousin and his best friend's friend works at OBD and he says that the Bills are seriously looking to attain Kelly in the 2nd round.

Was this before or after the 4.75 run ?

Mitchy moo
04-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Because every indicator - except his 40 time, which is most likely the result of injury and inactivity - points to him being a very good WR.

Ok, I like that response.

Ickybaluky
04-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Jerry Rice was the best WR ever, and thrived in the WCO system which threw quick slants off short drops.

Jerry Rice ran a 4.7 coming out of college.

You are putting a lot of emphasis on 40-time.

patmoran2006
04-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Jerry Rice was the best WR ever, and thrived in the WCO system which threw quick slants off short drops.

thank you.

jimbohastle51
04-09-2008, 02:17 PM
hopefully we can get a corner at 11 and get limas sweed late in the first or early second cause kelly is not worth a first or second after that workout. 4.79?!? damn thats horrible, no way he would get separation at the NFL level. maybe a guy like marcus monk in the 3rd would be a good pickup now. no reciever is worth a first pick. man this stinks... our biggest glaring need and the year we need it is the year theres none in the draft LOL!!! that is our luck!

patmoran2006
04-09-2008, 02:22 PM
He is injured and has lineman speed, so he is less useful to us. The 3 step drop that we are going to use requires that extra .3 of a second.

Is this worrying anyone?
dont worry, you'll be riding his jock soon enough

bigbub2352
04-09-2008, 02:25 PM
DEVON THOMAS AT 11
TE in the second
CB in the 3rd

FlyingDutchman
04-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Skoob, didnt you give Pat crap for not putting a new Malcolm thread in with all the other Malcolm threads?

mayotm
04-09-2008, 02:36 PM
DEVON THOMAS AT 11
TE in the second
CB in the 3rdAre any of you Thomas fans at all concerned that he could have been a one year wonder? I'm not necessarily opposed to Thomas, but the fact that he put up numbers in one season concerns me. Especially using the 11th pick in the draft.

PECKERWOOD
04-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Are any of you Thomas fans at all concerned that he could have been a one year wonder? I'm not necessarily opposed to Thomas, but the fact that he put up numbers in one season concerns me. Especially using the 11th pick in the draft.

By your standards, Miami shouldn't take Chris Long at #1 then.

rcd333
04-09-2008, 02:54 PM
It seemed like everyone was running slow for that pro day. Probably from a slow track or something like that.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
The CB Marcus Walker ran a 4.46 at the combine but his fastest time today was a 4.62. <o:p></o:p>
Kelly's fasted time today was a 4.68, so if the same correlation affects Kelly he would have run a 4.52 at the combine.<o:p></o:p>

Just a thought

patmoran2006
Malcom aint coming off my sig.
I still think he's the best NFL WR in this draft.

KO1
I was all set on Kelly at 11 but now I think we would have to go CB/DE in the 1st then take Kelly or Hardy in 2nd and im leaning towards Hardy after that S*** performance today

BigGabes23
04-09-2008, 03:00 PM
I am not sure what Kelly has done to earn Compairsons to JERRY RICE, but if anyone still thinks we should take him with the 11th overall pick in the draft, they should find a new sport to watch.

TedMock
04-09-2008, 03:05 PM
I'd like to actually get a real viewpoint on this kid. I'm a huge college football fan, but I live on the east coast. Obviously, I don't see many Oklahoma games. I see stats and highlights, but those don't really give any real indication. So, does anybody actually live somewhere where they watched this kid play on a regular basis? I know there are a few Bills fans who live in Buffalo who rave about him, but I'm looking for something with a little more substance. Thank you in advance.

Jan Reimers
04-09-2008, 03:06 PM
I still like Kelly. There has never been a question about his speed from anyone watching film, or watching him live, so I'm pretty much convinced that his injury and lack of conditioning (because of the injury) have caused the slow 40 times.

acehole
04-09-2008, 03:07 PM

Is this worrying anyone?

You don't need speed for a 3 step drop you need size and good hands.

Having said that 4.75 is alarming....for a wr. ....in same way a weak arm qb will get 8 in the box a slow wr will get the safty cheating up.

If he can regain some speed back he could be a servicable wr.

Bills love these injured guys in the second round.

You could keep him on the roster to learn the system and groom him behind Lee Evans for a year.

You can still draft a a guy (WR) in the first round and have a nice tandem for years to come.

Lee probably won't sign here anyway.

PECKERWOOD
04-09-2008, 03:10 PM
You don't need speed for a 3 step drop you need size and good hands.

Having said that 4.75 is alarming....for a wr. ....in same way a weak arm qb will get 8 in the box a slow wr will get the safty cheating up.

If he can regain some speed back he could be a servicable wr.

Bills love these injured guys in the second round.

You could keep him on the roster to learn the system and groom him behind Lee Evans for a year.

You can still draft a a guy (WR) in the first round and have a nice tandem for years to come.

Lee probably won't sign here anyway.

Thomas in the 1st and Kelly in the 2nd would be a really interesting draft.

mayotm
04-09-2008, 03:10 PM
By your standards, Miami shouldn't take Chris Long at #1 then.Frankly, I haven't thought much about what Miami should do with their pick. I'm much more concerned with what we are going to do at 11. I have concerns about taking a guy that had one good year. One good year against fairly mediocre competition. The Big 10 was pretty bad last year. Thomas has some potential, but is far from a finished product. As badly as we need a #2, I'm not sure he could step in right away and be a major contributor. If we take him, I hope my concerns are proved wrong.

ddaryl
04-09-2008, 03:14 PM

Is this worrying anyone?

its his size and his hands that are still well above average...

his speed is questionable, but his size will allow him to shield out defenders for catches. This is extremely useful in a 3 step drop situation where no matter how fast you are it is hard to gain much seperation with super quick passes.

Also the 40 yd time doesn't tell squat of a story when it comes to beating a physical jam at the line of scrimage.

I agree that kelly's stock is slipping but the Bills need 2 WR's IMHO. One to replace Evans whom is very non-commital to an extension before the draft, and another to round out the corps. I would love to see us grab Kelly with our 2nd. I would love to see the Bills succesfully trade down from #11 and gain a 2nd rd pick and parlay that into a Devin Thomas / Kelly duo which would prepare us for Evans possible departure next year

PECKERWOOD
04-09-2008, 03:19 PM
its his size and his hands that are still well above average...

his speed is questionable, but his size will allow him to shield out defenders for catches. This is extremely useful in a 3 step drop situation where no matter how fast you are it is hard to gain much seperation with super quick passes.

Also the 40 yd time doesn't tell squat of a story when it comes to beating a physical jam at the line of scrimage.

I agree that kelly's stock is slipping but the Bills need 2 WR's IMHO. One to replace Evans whom is very non-commital to an extension before the draft, and another to round out the corps. I would love to see us grab Kelly with our 2nd. I would love to see the Bills succesfully trade down from #11 and gain a 2nd rd pick and parlay that into a Devin Thomas / Kelly duo which would prepare us for Evans possible departure next year

We could get away with drafting 1 WR this year and then franchising Lee next year.

BlackMetalNinja
04-09-2008, 03:26 PM
We already have 2 deep speedy threats in Evans and Parrish... we desperately need a big, physical, possession receiver. His 40 time really doesn't mean to much to me.

Just the same, I don't think he's worth the #11 and he's not even my first choice amongst the WRs available in the draft.

HHURRICANE
04-09-2008, 03:34 PM

You cannot make this comparison.

Different time and era. Today's athlete is alot faster and stronger. It's alot more relevant when every other player on the field has gotten faster. You have LB's running 4.5s. Were there alot of LBs running 4.5s when Rice was coming into the league?

Mitchy moo
04-09-2008, 04:02 PM

Different time and era. Today's athlete is alot faster and stronger. It's alot more relevant when every other player on the field has gotten faster. You have LB's running 4.5s. Were there alot of LBs running 4.5s when Rice was coming into the league?

The game has gotten even faster since then, great point. Having a LB with a faster time than your WR is a scary thought. We have not had a good TE in a while though, maybe we can keep him fat and use him for that.

On the other side of the coin, maybe Kelly loses 15 Lbs and gets fully healed up and now flies. It's a toss up either way.

Mitchy moo
04-09-2008, 04:09 PM
Skoob, didnt you give Pat crap for not putting a new Malcolm thread in with all the other Malcolm threads?

He had no new information he brought to the table in that post, nor had a glaring difference in his workout numbers / speed been brought to light. His was just another Rah, Rah, Rah, I want Kelly thread. That being said, it was a good thread and I agreed with much of what he had to say, as I do now.

I like Kelly and think that he could be fully ready to go come training camp. The problem is he is out of shape, slower than before and injured. Those are 3 things I do not like, we just learned 2 of them today henceforth this thread.

Bill Cody
04-09-2008, 04:33 PM
This guy sounds like Mike Williams. Ballooned up and ran slow. Add to it the attitude he showed teams at the combine and he may have just moved himself to the 2nd day.

tampabay25690
04-09-2008, 04:36 PM
I SAID 1 of the top 3 WR would drop to the 2nd round. He reminds me of MIKE WILLIAMS now out of USC....KELLY is a 2nd round talent now...

tampabay25690
04-09-2008, 04:37 PM
We already have 2 deep speedy threats in Evans and Parrish... we desperately need a big, physical, possession receiver. His 40 time really doesn't mean to much to me.

Just the same, I don't think he's worth the #11 and he's not even my first choice amongst the WRs available in the draft.

HIS 40 means alot.................
But I agree he was NEVER worth a #11 pick in the 1st round....

tampabay25690
04-09-2008, 04:39 PM

FRIEND OF A FRIEND....

I know someone personally there and they are looking at defense in the 1st round at #11 or will trade down possibly.....JAURON wants to stack the defense

tampabay25690
04-09-2008, 04:40 PM

WHAT..........
40 time means alot......Jerry Rice also played how many years ago???????
Things have changed in 2008

Oaf
04-09-2008, 04:52 PM
I would rather have a guy that can be open when not open, go across the middle and take a hit, and get the big catch. That is not Devin Thomas. The kid ran screens and flys all year and inflated his total yardage with an insane amount of KRs and large amount of reverses. I still like Sweed over Kelly, but both are comparable and NEITHER is worth pick 11.

I'm thinking we need Harvey and I will post a full mock soon.

Akhippo
04-09-2008, 04:56 PM
It may be a three step drop, but without speed the corner will be in the face of Kelly, possibly with inside position with no fear of getting beat deep.

The USC Williams comparison is scary for an 11th pick. He was the only one even considered at 11. You cannot push up another wideout that would have been drafted later just because of need. Moving Thomas up only because you moved Kelly down is not the move to do.

Draft DE in the first and if Kelly is there in the second by all means grab him.

DE - Harvey
WR - Kelly or Hardy
TE - Jermichael Finley
FB - O Schmitt

That would put weapons on offense and kick up the pass rush. You couldnt ask for better.

evol4276
04-09-2008, 10:26 PM
lol and so goes the annual flop for bills' prospects. i dont care what he ran TODAY, i still want him.

YardRat
04-10-2008, 04:56 AM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?articleID=20080410_2_B1_hRece13621

Afterward, Kelly visited with scouts from the Buffalo Bills ("Don't worry about your times," said one, "just don't get any bigger")

Night Train
04-10-2008, 05:03 AM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?articleID=20080410_2_B1_hRece13621

Afterward, Kelly visited with scouts from the Buffalo Bills ("Don't worry about your times," said one, "just don't get any bigger")

Interesting.

YardRat
04-10-2008, 05:07 AM
I thought so.

Ickybaluky
04-10-2008, 09:07 AM
WHAT..........
40 time means alot......Jerry Rice also played how many years ago???????
Things have changed in 2008

You guys have got to be kidding, right?

Jerry Rice was the greatest WR ever, maybe the greatest football player ever. He just retired after 2004. He had a 90+ catch, 1,200+ yard season in 2002. You don't think he would still be good if he were coming out today? Please...

I suppose Wes Welker couldn't play today either, given he generally measures lousy in the 40... Oh, wait a minute.

I bet Plaxico Burrress could barely beat 4.8 on his bad ankles last year, but who lit up Green Bay in the playoffs or scored the winning TD in the Super Bowl??

I don't know if Kelly will be a good pro or not, but I'm not going to drastically change his evaluation based on some 40-time. Some guys run fast 40's but don't play to the speed, while others run slower 40's but play faster (like Rice). Kelly should be judged based on his entire body of work, his play on tape, his skills, his athleticism, etc. There is no question speed is a big factor for a WR, but one bad 40 isn't going to be the primary factor in rating him.

For the record, I never compared Kelly to Rice. The point I was trying to make was just because some guy runs a bad 40-time doesn't mean he sucks. There are other factors, which numerous guys have proven over the years.

Watching him play, I think Kelly is an impressive WR. He seems to have no touble getting open, can catch the ball, looks smooth and has impressive size. I'd agree his gaining weight would be a concern, but he doesn't have a history of weight problems. He also has always scored high in character and maturity, so I'd guess his getting mad yesterday was more an indication of frustration than a character flaw. There is no indication in his profile of the character and work-ethic concerns that plague Mike Williams and Dwayne Jarrett, so those are unfair comparisons.

Mitchy moo
04-10-2008, 10:01 AM
I think we're all getting alot of smoke blown up our as... Plan on the Bills doing the exact opposite of what we expect.

HHURRICANE
04-10-2008, 12:03 PM
You guys have got to be kidding, right?

Jerry Rice was the greatest WR ever, maybe the greatest football player ever. He just retired after 2004. He had a 90+ catch, 1,200+ yard season in 2002. You don't think he would still be good if he were coming out today? Please...

I suppose Wes Welker couldn't play today either, given he generally measures lousy in the 40... Oh, wait a minute.

I bet Plaxico Burrress could barely beat 4.8 on his bad ankles last year, but who lit up Green Bay in the playoffs or scored the winning TD in the Super Bowl??

I don't know if Kelly will be a good pro or not, but I'm not going to drastically change his evaluation based on some 40-time. Some guys run fast 40's but don't play to the speed, while others run slower 40's but play faster (like Rice). Kelly should be judged based on his entire body of work, his play on tape, his skills, his athleticism, etc. There is no question speed is a big factor for a WR, but one bad 40 isn't going to be the primary factor in rating him.

For the record, I never compared Kelly to Rice. The point I was trying to make was just because some guy runs a bad 40-time doesn't mean he sucks. There are other factors, which numerous guys have proven over the years.

Watching him play, I think Kelly is an impressive WR. He seems to have no touble getting open, can catch the ball, looks smooth and has impressive size. I'd agree his gaining weight would be a concern, but he doesn't have a history of weight problems. He also has always scored high in character and maturity, so I'd guess his getting mad yesterday was more an indication of frustration than a character flaw. There is no indication in his profile of the character and work-ethic concerns that plague Mike Williams and Dwayne Jarrett, so those are unfair comparisons.

Kelly could be Jerry Rice or Ronnie Harmon. No way to know so the stats count for something.

The Answer
04-10-2008, 01:23 PM
The Answer warned all of you to stay away from Kelly long before these reports came out regarding his injuries, lack of speed, negative attitude, etc.

Once again my informants and colleagues in the scouting ranks gave me reliable information and The Answer was right.

If he's around in the 6th or 7th round that he might be worth taking, but definitely not a day one pick.

~The Answer

Jan Reimers
04-10-2008, 01:34 PM
If he's around in the 6th or 7th round that he might be worth taking

~The Answer
With this kind of insight, you ought to be a GM - Grounds Maintenance, that is.

X-Era
04-10-2008, 04:01 PM

Fine, what did Anquian Boldin, and Marques Colston run?

Ill help:

Anquian Boldin- 4.71
Marques Colston- 4.55, 4.63

Akhippo
04-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Fine, what did Anquian Boldin, and Marques Colston run?

Ill help:

Anquian Boldin- 4.71
Marques Colston- 4.55, 4.63

Hindsight is fine. I also dont think they were drafted #11

Luisito23
04-10-2008, 04:13 PM
:goodpost:....:beers:

jdbillsfan
04-10-2008, 04:36 PM

I don't think that comparison really works here. Rice broke all sorts of records in college. He had something like 27 TD's and and 1800 yards one season.

Malcom Kelly hasn't even broken 1000 yards once.

kernowboy
04-10-2008, 05:09 PM
Adarius Bowman had similar stats coming out of college, has similar size and ran a similar time on Pro Day.

There is no reason to think that Bowman cannot be as good a pro as Kelly and he could be available in R5. We could easily stack our draft with 2 or 3 picks like Paul Hubbard, Adarius Bowman and Marcus Henry in Rounds 4-7, all of whom are over 6ft2, and all come from a decent college practicising against top co;;ege CBs.

We are bound to get a decent No2 and probably more.

As for Evans leaving, I could easily see us franchising him, and trading him for a R1 using this pick to draft his replacement in 2009, someome like Darrius Henderson-Bey.

evol4276
04-10-2008, 09:21 PM
The Answer warned all of you to stay away from Kelly long before these reports came out regarding his injuries, lack of speed, negative attitude, etc.

Once again my informants and colleagues in the scouting ranks gave me reliable information and The Answer was right.

If he's around in the 6th or 7th round that he might be worth taking, but definitely not a day one pick.

~The Answer yup. from a 1st rounder to a second day pick due to a bad proday. thats exactly whats going to happen.

Ickybaluky
04-11-2008, 05:28 AM
I don't think that comparison really works here. Rice broke all sorts of records in college. He had something like 27 TD's and and 1800 yards one season.

Malcom Kelly hasn't even broken 1000 yards once.

I said I wasn't comparing them, only showing that 40-time does not necessarily say everything about ability.

BTW, Rice played in IAA in a pass-happy, run-and-shoot offense. Kelly played 1A ball in the Big 12 for a running team. That is a big part of the difference in numbers.

jamze132
04-11-2008, 05:49 AM
1sr RD Pick #11, Malcom Kelly.

Don't worry about his workout day...