PDA

View Full Version : Malcolm Kelly blaming OU in part for his slow time

BlackMetalNinja
04-09-2008, 03:17 PM
Full Article:
http://newsok.com/article/3227634/1207765302

NORMAN — Former Oklahoma (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Oklahoma%20Sooners&CATEGORY=ORGANIZATION) wide receiver Malcolm Kelly (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Malcolm+Kelly&CATEGORY=PERSON) didn't have the pro day performance Wednesday that he wanted.
And he's putting some of the blame on OU.
Kelly (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Malcolm+Kelly&CATEGORY=PERSON), who ran the 40-yard dash in 4.68 seconds, said he wasn't told by the OU strength staff until this morning that the location of the pro day had been moved from Astroturf (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Astroturf&CATEGORY=PRODUCT) in the Mosier Center (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Mosier+Center&CATEGORY=ORGANIZATION) to field turf inside the Everest Indoor Training Center (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Everest+Indoor+Training+Center&CATEGORY=ORGANIZATION).
"I had everything set up for where I wanted to do it at," Kelly said. "I get up here this morning and it's a whole different deal. This is my life. It's got to do with me and my family. This is what I do, play football, and I'm supposed to run as fast as I can. I was slipping all over the place during my drill work. I can't say I'm pleased with anything today."
Kelly (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Malcolm+Kelly&CATEGORY=PERSON) said he had been preparing for the last month to test on Astroturf (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Astroturf&CATEGORY=PRODUCT) and was running the 40 in under 4.5 seconds on that surface.

raphael120
04-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Deal with it, Kelly. You'll play on all kinds of surfaces in the NFL and you'll have to perform outside of your comfort zone all the time. I hope this makes him drop into the 2nd and we still be able to pick him up.

FlyingDutchman
04-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Then get your ass to other surface and do it already. Stop making excuses.

ddaryl
04-09-2008, 03:20 PM
well if thats the case he should be able to run in the 4.5's on the bills astro turf...

if this is true then OU should be ***** slapped. You don't go switching things on pro prospects like that, it doesn't make the school look real good for future college prospects

but then again is kelly being honest here, or is he looking for an excuse to use...

Mr. Miyagi
04-09-2008, 03:21 PM
I don't think any NFL stadium even has Astroturf anymore.

We have the new AstroPlay at the Ralph, right?

justasportsfan
04-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Excuses. :rolleyes:

Does he realize he's gonna have to play in the snow?

Calvin Johnson had to borrow shoes when he decided last minute to run at the combine.

Philagape
04-09-2008, 03:23 PM
What a whiner

X-Era
04-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Full Article:
http://newsok.com/article/3227634/1207765302

The last chance he gets to earn his 1st round grade is for him to do a private workout up at the Ralph and run a sub 4.5.

Its possible, but with numbers that bad, and him likely to play on real grass in the NFL, most teams are gonna drop his grade big time IMO.

raphael120
04-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Dude's mouth runs faster than his feet can it seems.

bigbub2352
04-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Sad, u should not use the surface as an excuse, u will play all over the NFL in different feilds every week, i am not shocked at his performance

hope we go with Devin Thomas at 11

HHURRICANE
04-09-2008, 03:41 PM
With the 11th pick the Buffalo Bills take:

Derrick Harvey

X-Era
04-09-2008, 03:44 PM
Sad, u should not use the surface as an excuse, u will play all over the NFL in different feilds every week, i am not shocked at his performance

hope we go with Devin Thomas at 11

I hope we draft DRC and then move back up into the 19-20ish range for Devin Thomas.

If we take Devin Thomas at 11, Im fine with that.

bigbub2352
04-09-2008, 03:47 PM
i am not a huge fan of taking a small school CB with the 11th, i say wait till the 3rd and take a CB, go WR at 11 and TE in rd 2

Oaf
04-09-2008, 04:57 PM
Does this kid realize he's not going to be playing in the RCA Dome every game?

Akhippo
04-09-2008, 05:09 PM
C Johnson manned up and ran last minute without really prepping.

What is Kelly going to whine about now. Do a Tiger and complain all the noises from the stopwatches distracted him.

He had a bruise. Dont use that week injury as an excuse. Ligament/Tendon/Joint is fine, not my thigh had a bruise.

I still want him in the second though.

justasportsfan
04-09-2008, 05:20 PM
It doesn't mean he won't be a good football player . he's just making excuses because he doesn't want his stock to fall because he didn't run well. Will that excuse however remove all the doubts about his injury :idunno:

Mitchy moo
04-09-2008, 05:26 PM
With the 11th pick the Buffalo Bills take:

Derrick Harvey

Excuses don't pay the BILLS, Harvey won't be making excuses for creaming Brady.

yordad
04-09-2008, 05:33 PM
The fact he has to run on all kinds on surfaces in the NFL is irrelevant, IMO. We are comparing him to his peers here, not gauging speed for rainy days. His peers ran in ideal circumstances, so if his circumstances weren't ideal, it is a legit complaint.

That said, I hope he slips to the second so we can grab him too. :dance:

patmoran2006
04-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Some points..

1- Let me tell you guys something. IF this is true about the surface, he has a RIGHT to be pissed. This is a stopwatch era with college scouting. Combine/Workout freaks fly up draft charts with good numbers, which equates to millions of dollars.

2- I am NOT a believer in stop watches, and cones and crap like that.. If you can play, you can PLAY. Jerry Rice ran the same time, I dont think anyone has ever accused him of being slow. Fast people run good 40 times. Fast football players PLAY faster.

3- As far as Harvey. The way this defense rotates their line I think it would be INSANE to draft a DE 11th. We already used a first rounder a few years ago on a situation/rotational DT (McCargo) when we could've easily taken Nick Mangold. Now some of you want to take Harvey? what's he going to play, 30% of the snaps at most? Love em or hate em, Schobel and Kelsay aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

4- I'll end it with another Kelly comment. This team is making a HUGE mistake if they pass over him based on what his 40 time was. (Personally, I don't think we will). Devin Thomas is growing on me rapidly, but I think without question Malcom Kelly is a #1 WR in this league. He reminds a lot of scouts of another Braylon Edwards with this build, quickness and ability to adjust to the ball. Do some of you even want the Bills to have a good offense? Im befuddled as to how ANYONE doesn't think this guy would instantly improve this offense.

Laugh if you want now.. but tuck this thread away and revisit it in two years. .Mark my words, if we pass on Kelly I guarentee you we're going to be sorry.

Mitchy moo
04-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Our own Chris Brown wrote a blog about how this type of behavior will not translate well in the NFL. Talking about $ at the combine / workout day is classless. I'm trying to take care of my family type BS doesn't play in my book.

Some points..

1- Let me tell you guys something. IF this is true about the surface, he has a RIGHT to be pissed. This is a stopwatch era with college scouting. Combine/Workout freaks fly up draft charts with good numbers, which equates to millions of dollars.

2- I am NOT a believer in stop watches, and cones and crap like that.. If you can play, you can PLAY. Jerry Rice ran the same time, I dont think anyone has ever accused him of being slow. Fast people run good 40 times. Fast football players PLAY faster.

3- As far as Harvey. The way this defense rotates their line I think it would be INSANE to draft a DE 11th. We already used a first rounder a few years ago on a situation/rotational DT (McCargo) when we could've easily taken Nick Mangold. Now some of you want to take Harvey? what's he going to play, 30% of the snaps at most? Love em or hate em, Schobel and Kelsay aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

4- I'll end it with another Kelly comment. This team is making a HUGE mistake if they pass over him based on what his 40 time was. (Personally, I don't think we will). Devin Thomas is growing on me rapidly, but I think without question Malcom Kelly is a #1 WR in this league. He reminds a lot of scouts of another Braylon Edwards with this build, quickness and ability to adjust to the ball. Do some of you even want the Bills to have a good offense? Im befuddled as to how ANYONE doesn't think this guy would instantly improve this offense.

Laugh if you want now.. but tuck this thread away and revisit it in two years. .Mark my words, if we pass on Kelly I guarentee you we're going to be sorry.

Night Train
04-09-2008, 06:08 PM
" My Precious ! "

1st,2nd or 3rd round. NO OTHER TEAM IS ALLOWED TO HAVE HIM !

yordad
04-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Our own Chris Brown wrote a blog about how this type of behavior will not translate well in the NFL. Talking about $ at the combine / workout day is classless. I'm trying to take care of my family type BS doesn't play in my book.Maybe, but that doesn't make it less true.

coastal
04-09-2008, 06:35 PM
Bwahahahahaha!

I wonder if the Malcolm fluffers are the same clowns that still drool over JP and that cannon of an arm he has.

Akhippo
04-09-2008, 06:54 PM
If OU had the sprinklers on the other field all night and that made it crappy then he has an arguement. This smacks of someone making excuses. Nothing more or less. If he would have said that his game tape will do the talking for him, or if a teams wants to look at him personally he will redeem himself in personal workouts. The excuses turn me off more than his times. Thats just a precursor to how he will act when times go bad. Throw someone under the bus and CYA.

yordad
04-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Bwahahahahaha!

I wonder if the Malcolm fluffers are the same clowns that still drool over JP and that cannon of an arm he has.That was seriously one of the dumbest, most random, baseless, illegitimate correlations I ever heard speculated upon. Does calling people fluffin clowns make you feel straighter?

Kenny
04-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Wow.... what a little *****!

Can you guys imagine all the whining and crying he's going to be dishing out in the NFL?

X-Era
04-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Bwahahahahaha!

I wonder if the Malcolm fluffers are the same clowns that still drool over JP and that cannon of an arm he has.

Some people are fans of certain prospects? No, tell me thats not the case.

Do you happen to like Devin Thomas?

Mitchy moo
04-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Professionals make examples of themselves, not excuses for themselves.

FlyingDutchman
04-09-2008, 10:02 PM
This article is a good sign for you Thomas lovers..

http://www.wgrz.com/sports/pro_football/Bills_Article.aspx?storyid=57002

His bad 40 tims mixed with his pissin and moanin aint helpin his cause to get drafted by the Bills

patmoran2006
04-09-2008, 10:05 PM
IM saving this thread for one year from now.. if Im wrong, I'll put my foot in my mouth gladly.

Saratoga Slim
04-10-2008, 10:56 AM
Gil Brandt was on Sirius NFL radio about an hour ago, and he was talking about how he had been at MK's workout. He says there was a ton of bad buzz about the kid's attitude.

Saratoga Slim
04-10-2008, 10:59 AM
Gil Brandt was on Sirius NFL radio about an hour ago, and he was talking about how he had been at MK's workout. He says there was a ton of bad buzz about the kid's attitude.

He also said that the Bills had THREE scouts there, including Modrak. So no one can claim that we didn't do our homework on this guy, whether or not we draft him.

Saratoga Slim
04-10-2008, 11:03 AM
IM saving this thread for one year from now.. if Im wrong, I'll put my foot in my mouth gladly.

If we draft him, I'll be his biggest supporter. But I've got to say, I'm a little less enthused after hearing about how he handled his poor performance. Very well could be a great kid who just lashed out in frustration this one time, but Gil Brandt did say that he was also hearing a lot about Kelly butting heads with his trainers at OU, so I've gotta say I'm not quite as enthused about him. Combine the slow time, nagging injury, and the POTENTIAL attitude issues, and I'm definately much more interested in Devin Thomas at this point.

Akhippo
04-10-2008, 11:38 AM
If we draft him, I'll be his biggest supporter. But I've got to say, I'm a little less enthused after hearing about how he handled his poor performance. Very well could be a great kid who just lashed out in frustration this one time, but Gil Brandt did say that he was also hearing a lot about Kelly butting heads with his trainers at OU, so I've gotta say I'm not quite as enthused about him. Combine the slow time, nagging injury, and the POTENTIAL attitude issues, and I'm definately much more interested in Devin Thomas at this point.

That basically sums it up. The 40 time raises doubt about his potential, but the other stuff raises doubts about his draftability.

justasportsfan
04-10-2008, 11:45 AM
That was seriously one of the dumbest, most random, baseless, illegitimate correlations I ever heard speculated upon. Does calling people fluffin clowns make you feel straighter?
He was "goated" into turning a Kelly thread into a bash fest again. :shakeno:
Some people are simply obssessed .

trapezeus
04-10-2008, 02:34 PM
ok, i'm starting a rumor. i believe Jerry Jones is asking for MK to tank so that he falls to them. then he'll back pay him the appropriate 11 spot.

As you all know, Jerry jones is behind all the evil in the world.