PDA

View Full Version : An Updated DRAFT

tampabay25690
04-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Buffalo Bills: Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida

It's likely one of three things will happen with Buffalo's No. 11 selection:

Trade Down: The Bills need a massive receiver like Limas Sweed or James Hardy to complement the lightning-quick Lee Evans. The problem is there aren't any wide outs worth taking in this spot. Buffalo should be able to swap selections with a team like Philadelphia and obtain the receiver of its choice.

Defensive End: I considered Derrick Harvey at this juncture. From my offseason needs page: "The Bills could be in trouble at the defensive end position in 2008, as the guys who play across from Aaron Schobel - Chris Kelsay and Ryan Denney - both suffered serious injuries toward the end of the 2007 campaign and will consequently not be able to work out during the offseason. Buffalo needs to upgrade its pass rush anyway, as the team managed only 26 sacks." Kelsay and Denney are ahead of schedule, but they're both mediocre, and there isn't much behind Aaron Schobel.

Cornerback: The Bills have major depth issues at defensive back in the wake of losing Kiwaukee Thomas, Jerametrius Butler, Jim Leonhard, Coy Wire and E.J. Underwood this offseason. Buffalo needs to knock off the Patriots, who have Randy Moss, Wes Welker and Ben Watson all catching passes from the NFL's single-season record holder for touchdowns.

Once Mike Jenkins is ready, the Bills can slide Jabari Greer into the nickel slot, giving them one of the top secondaries in the NFL.

2nd Round Pick: Buffalo Bills: Fred Davis, TE, USC
The Bills need some sort of complementary possession receiver for Lee Evans. That can come in the form of a tight end. Fred Davis could go as high as No. 25, so this is yet another second-round steal in one of the deepest draft classes I've ever seen.

3rd Round Pick: Buffalo Bills: Mike Pollak, C, Arizona State
The Bills need help with their interior offensive front, and Mike Pollak is probably the best inside lineman in this draft class, save for Branden Albert.

4th Round Pick: Buffalo Bills: Paul Hubbard, WR, Wisconsin
If the Bills can't trade out of the No. 11 pick and consequently eschew drafting a complementary possession receiver for Lee Evans, they'll do that later on. Because this class is so deep, they can get a decent wide out in Round 4.

4th Round Pick: Buffalo Bills: Jeremy Thompson, DE, Wake Forest
The Bills don't really have anything behind Aaron Schobel at right end.

5th Round Pick: Buffalo Bills: Owen Schmitt, FB, West Virginia
The Bills could use an upgrade at fullback, and Owen Schmitt is a player their fans would fall in love with.

NOT A BAD DRAFT that I saw. I WOULD be surprised if we waited that late to draft a WR. If this is how we drafted I don't think we would be that dissappointed........I just wanted to share this with you guys......SO now go ahead and bash it!!!!!!!

I do like what he said about the #1 pick of ours....I really think the BILLS will try to trade out of the spot for more picks!!!!!!!

Ultra Chimp 1
04-10-2008, 08:23 PM
If we take a CB in round one and miss out on Limas Sweed or James Hardy I'm going to puke.

tampabay25690
04-10-2008, 08:24 PM
If we take a CB in round one and miss out on Limas Sweed or James Hardy I'm going to puke.

You never know what will happen...

Ultra Chimp 1
04-10-2008, 08:31 PM
You never know what will happen...
I know what will happen if we take a CB. He will be shipped off without a franchise tag in 2009.

Scumbag College
04-10-2008, 08:36 PM
The Bills need a #2 WR in the worst way. Hubbard has great size and is a very good track athlete, but he's more of a developmental pick that needs probably a year or two to mature. I can't see the Bills waiting until the fourth round and draft a Center before a guy that can compete for the #2 receiver spot.

tampabay25690
04-10-2008, 08:40 PM
The Bills need a #2 WR in the worst way. Hubbard has great size and is a very good track athlete, but he's more of a developmental pick that needs probably a year or two to mature. I can't see the Bills waiting until the fourth round and draft a Center before a guy that can compete for the #2 receiver spot.

I do agree with you 100% I can see the Bills drafting a WR in the 2nd and maybe even in a later round. I could see them drafting 2 WR this year.

Michael82
04-10-2008, 09:44 PM
I don't like this draft! :ill: First of all, you now how I feel about a CB in the 1st round. It's a waste of a pick and not needed for this cover 2 d. Plus we are desperate for a WR, as that is the only main need we didn't fill in the offseason. Waiting until the 4th round will definitely NOT fill the biggest hole on our team. It's a bad idea. I do like two of the picks though....Fred Davis will be a stud at TE that we have been lacking for years. And Owen Schmitt gives us the true blocking FB that will plow thru for Marshawn Lynch.... :up:

Michael82
04-10-2008, 09:47 PM
me too. :ill: :puke:

tampabay25690
04-11-2008, 07:27 AM
I don't like this draft! :ill: First of all, you now how I feel about a CB in the 1st round. It's a waste of a pick and not needed for this cover 2 d. Plus we are desperate for a WR, as that is the only main need we didn't fill in the offseason. Waiting until the 4th round will definitely NOT fill the biggest hole on our team. It's a bad idea. I do like two of the picks though....Fred Davis will be a stud at TE that we have been lacking for years. And Owen Schmitt gives us the true blocking FB that will plow thru for Marshawn Lynch.... :up:

OK why do you guys think you don't need a good CB in a cover 2?

TAMPA BAY is the team that started the cover 2 and from what I know they had 2 very good CB'S in RONDE BARBER and BRIAN KELLY.....YOU need good CB's in any system period especially when you have to play NEW ENGLAD twice a year.

Kenny
04-11-2008, 07:37 AM
OK why do you guys think you don't need a good CB in a cover 2?

TAMPA BAY is the team that started the cover 2 and from what I know they had 2 very good CB'S in RONDE BARBER and BRIAN KELLY.....YOU need good CB's in any system period especially when you have to play NEW ENGLAD twice a year.

They're two of the smartest CB, -but physically speaking, they're nothing special. They're about 5'9-5'10, not the fastest, not the biggest, and not the strongest.
The cover2 (if we're still sticking with it), doesnt need man-to-man corners like a Champ Bailey, Chris McAllister, etc... it relies very heavily on smart play in the secondary, and killer pressure from the line (which is why I want Harvey!!!)

Jan Reimers
04-11-2008, 07:39 AM
Not a bad draft IF you substitute Devin Thomas for Mike Jenkins in the first round, and the best available CB - Flowers or T. Thomas - for Pollak in the 3rd, and then take Pollak (or the best C available) instead of Hubbard in the 4th and. . .

Well, at least I like Davis, Thompson and Schmitt, and Pollak a round lower.

Dr. Lecter
04-11-2008, 07:42 AM
I know what will happen if we take a CB. He will be shipped off without a franchise tag in 2009.

He would be a UFA after one season???????

tampabay25690
04-11-2008, 08:07 AM
They're two of the smartest CB, -but physically speaking, they're nothing special. They're about 5'9-5'10, not the fastest, not the biggest, and not the strongest.
The cover2 (if we're still sticking with it), doesnt need man-to-man corners like a Champ Bailey, Chris McAllister, etc... it relies very heavily on smart play in the secondary, and killer pressure from the line (which is why I want Harvey!!!)

What does size have anything to do with the 2 guys?
They were 2 solid CB's.
I know the TAMPA 2 obviously watching it living in TAMPA.....The actual key to the defense is your 2 INSIDE GUYS....THATS why we have STROUD and McCargo (which I think will have a huge year with Stroud next to him......You have to get pressure in the backfield, YES thats why I like HARVEY as well coming from the outside....It will be very interesting I can see the BILLS going so many different ways in this draft. I guess it will all depend on the 1st 10 picks in the draft...

Mahdi
04-11-2008, 08:18 AM
They were 2 solid CB's.
I know the TAMPA 2 obviously watching it living in TAMPA.....The actual key to the defense is your 2 INSIDE GUYS....THATS why we have STROUD and McCargo (which I think will have a huge year with Stroud next to him......You have to get pressure in the backfield, YES thats why I like HARVEY as well coming from the outside....It will be very interesting I can see the BILLS going so many different ways in this draft. I guess it will all depend on the 1st 10 picks in the draft...
The point is that Barber and Kelly are CBs that thrived in the cover 2. They were drafted specifically to play in that system and it worked out. Barber is the best of the 2 and he was drafted in the 3rd round. Kelly was drafted in the middle of the second.

I think players like Brandon Flowers, Antoine Cason, Charles Godfrey would be great pickups in the 3rd round that would thrive in a cover 2. And you dont need to spend a high pick on them and tie up cap space in a position that doesnt require the best man to man CB in the draft or in the league.

As a sidenote I dont think Flowers or Cason will last till the 3rd, but Godfrey, Terrell Thomas, Darnell Terrell, Justin King can be there in the 3rd or even 4th.

Kenny
04-11-2008, 08:19 AM
They were 2 solid CB's.

My point is we dont need to find a CB that 'has' the potential to turn out to be the next Champ Bailey. We just need to find smart CBs with average physical tools, and they'll be just fine in our system. Hence the reason we dont need to go CB in the first round.

madness
04-11-2008, 08:26 AM
Owen Schmitt gives us the true blocking FB that will plow thru for Marshawn Lynch.... :up:

If we get Schmitt in the 5th, that would be considered a steal! I really don't think he's going to last that long though. :(

tampabay25690
04-11-2008, 08:36 AM
My point is we dont need to find a CB that 'has' the potential to turn out to be the next Champ Bailey. We just need to find smart CBs with average physical tools, and they'll be just fine in our system. Hence the reason we dont need to go CB in the first round.

Would you as a BILLS fan be mad if we had a CHAMP BAILEY type player on our team?

I know what you are saying but hey how many round 1 busts are there anyway? It will be very interesting on draft day. I like FLOWERS alot, I really hope we go HARVEY with the pick to be honest. WR class is so deep that we can get good WR's later then the 1st round. BUT I would not be surprised if the BILLS do draft a WR either.

They could throw all of us off and draft a LB, you never know with the BILLS front Office....

Mahdi
04-11-2008, 08:47 AM
Would you as a BILLS fan be mad if we had a CHAMP BAILEY type player on our team?

I know what you are saying but hey how many round 1 busts are there anyway? It will be very interesting on draft day. I like FLOWERS alot, I really hope we go HARVEY with the pick to be honest. WR class is so deep that we can get good WR's later then the 1st round. BUT I would not be surprised if the BILLS do draft a WR either.

They could throw all of us off and draft a LB, you never know with the BILLS front Office....
I actually would be unhappy with a Champ Bailey on our team because that also means 10 mil a year out the window and the inability to solidify the team in other areas. How much are Vasher and Tillman getting paid? where were they drafted? A much better investment IMO and you can still afford to pay 2 top tier DEs 1 or 2 elite DTs and elits LBs as well.

What have the Broncos done with possibly the best CB combo in the league? Sure they had a top 10 pass defense but their run D was bottom 3.

Kenny
04-11-2008, 09:14 AM

Nope, -not at all. Im actually in agreement with you that I'd rather take CB over WR at the 11 spot.
I just dont like any of the wr's where we are.

I just think that a top DE is more important than a top CB. And when you get a chance to land a potentially good pro DE, you take it.

Michael82
04-11-2008, 10:10 AM
If we get Schmitt in the 5th, that would be considered a steal! I really don't think he's going to last that long though. :(
That's why I'm using my 4th round compensation pick on him if he's there. :up: