Is ice skating like roller blading???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mitchell55
    only another 1000 mocks due by tomorrow!
    • Feb 2008

Is ice skating like roller blading???

Listen. Im trying to start playing ice hockey on a team and I dont know how to ice skate. I havent tried it since I was 3. I am good on rollerblades so, how different and which one do you think is easier.
  • DMBcrew36
    • Feb 2005

Re: Is ice skating like roller blading???

Roller blading is easier. The motions are similar but they are very different. On ice you have 4 edges - one inside and one outside on each skate. It's about digging in with your edges. You can cut harder and change direction quicker than on wheels.

Being good on roller blades does not translate to ice. You need to go to a general skate at Pepsi or whatever rink is near you.

Comment

• The King
      Without me it's just Awe so
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by MLynch23
      Listen. Im trying to start playing ice hockey on a team and I dont know how to ice skate. I havent tried it since I was 3. I am good on rollerblades so, how different and which one do you think is easier.
      You'll fall on your head a bit but in a few months you should have it down.
      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
      It was all
      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

good luck- I'm trying to make the same transition myself.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mitchell55
          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by OpIv37
          good luck- I'm trying to make the same transition myself.

Yeah. I tried football but was to small and couldnt tackle or fast. Tried basketball but was to small and was way better in practice then in game. Hockey is my final option. IN TEXAS!!!. Man, I just found a place to skate 4 days ago.

Comment

• Mitchell55
            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by DMBcrew36
            Roller blading is easier. The motions are similar but they are very different. On ice you have 4 edges - one inside and one outside on each skate. It's about digging in with your edges. You can cut harder and change direction quicker than on wheels.

Being good on roller blades does not translate to ice. You need to go to a general skate at Pepsi or whatever rink is near you.

Thanks alot.

Comment

• Meathead
              Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
              • Jul 2002

ive been ice skating so long i think its easier than blading but that might not hold for a newbie

seems to me that stopping may be the hardest transition since you dont make that motion on blades. but if you can ski and can stop properly there then you should have no problem with a skate stop. considering youre in texas im going to bet thats a no
              One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

Working...
              X