PDA

View Full Version : Has your opinion of Malcolm Kelly changed?

OpIv37
04-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Has your opinion of Malcolm Kelly changed due to the events of this week?

For me, it has- not so much his slow 40 time, but his reaction to it. There's a difference between game speed and track speed- plenty of fast guys have been terrible in the NFL (see Antonio Brown). The Bills are focusing on 3 step drops and already have 2 burners in Parrish and Evans- if we draft Kelly, it will be for size and not speed.

But Kelly's reaction to the situation has pissed me off. The excuses, demanding a do-over- it's childish and it's unrealistic. Conditions in the NFL are rarely perfect, and there are no do-overs in football. It's a 16 game season and every game is crucial. I'm not sure he has the maturity to handle the pressure and the spotlight.

As of now, I don't want to draft him, at least not at 11.

Oaf
04-10-2008, 10:33 PM
Limas would be a Sweed pick at 11. :chuckle: So would Harvey.

PECKERWOOD
04-10-2008, 11:18 PM
Kelly is a good football player, not good enough to go at #11 though. If he fell to us in the 2nd round however, I'd be thrilled.

venis2k1
04-10-2008, 11:49 PM
Kelly is a good football player, not good enough to go at #11 though. If he fell to us in the 2nd round however, I'd be thrilled.

:afro: WORD :afro:

patmoran2006
04-11-2008, 12:36 AM
If he will help this offense more than any WR in this draft; then whether we pick him in round 2, pick 25 or pick 11 he's no reach to me.

Devin
04-11-2008, 12:38 AM
meh, was never high on him this just furthur helps that idea.

Ebenezer
04-11-2008, 12:44 AM
I've said the pick would would be defense anyway.

Tatonka
04-11-2008, 01:02 AM
if the pick was going to be defense.. then they should have done ONE THING to address the offense already.

BillsFever21
04-11-2008, 03:50 AM
I want a WR in the draft but not at #11. I just don't see any #1 level WR's available this year that high in the draft. Most draft sites have echoed the same thing.

I don't wanna draft just because of that one need instead of ignoring a far better prospect that could also help our team. I'd like to go for a WR with our 2nd round pick or move back into the 1st round if need be.

For the #11 I'd like to draft the BPA between DE, CB and DT. Although we got Marcus Stroud he isn't a sure thing. He has had many issues the last couple years and is not the same player many are dreaming of from a few years ago.

Even if Stroud did work out this year he is getting up there in age. Our depth is also non-existent outside of the starters. Either way a good DT or DL would improve our defense.

kernowboy
04-11-2008, 05:00 AM
With his time, he is no better than Adarius Bowman who will be there in R5 or R6 and definitely with our R4 Supp pick.

Bowman doesn't come with the injury risk either

bigbub2352
04-11-2008, 09:05 AM
At First i took a long look at Malcom Kelly, but all i have heard from the start of my research on him thru draft guides and watching the so called experts on him, he is slowed by injuries alot, and doesnt beat the jam well, plus his numbers are not unbelievable to warrent an 11 pick

I want Devin THomas at 11 or trade down a couple spots and take him, i got a feeling about him and to hall in 79 catches and be as productive in KO and runs as he was, this kid has playmaker written all over him, pairing him with LEE and gettin another taller Wr later in the draft i think puts us in a position to make the strides we need to contend

User Manuel
04-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Actually, I think this is great. Now we can get him later ala Kelsay.

ddaryl
04-11-2008, 09:49 AM

that's the way I view it. Plus his highlight video was still the most impressive. To make all those crazy catches is exactly what the Bills need

I want the Bills to grab a WR but I never wanted them to do it at #11. I want a trade down and a parlay of picks... If we can get Kelly in the 2nd that would be great. BUT he also needs to get our Dr's blessings

If we trade back from #11 and use extra picks to move back up to get kelly that too would be great too. And I still have a fantasy of us landing both Thomas and Kelly

bigbub2352
04-11-2008, 09:52 AM
Trade down is begining to look like our best option, it will be nice to add another 2nd rd or 3rd round pick and we can always trade up in the back up in the 2nd rd with the other picks,

With 10 picks we got a lot of options

cookie G
04-11-2008, 10:01 AM
If this doesn't change your opinion of him...not much will:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-6-63/The-Malcolm-Kelly-saga-continues.html

Now, he's apologizing for his rant on a Tyler, Texas radio station. The guy interviewing him is David Smoak, a longtime Friend of Hashmarks. On Sunday, Kelly will hold yet another workout in Atlanta under the direction of former Green Bay Packers wide receiver Boyd Dowler. But here's the catch: No NFL scouts will be allowed in the building. Dowler, who's in the Packers Hall of Fame, will send video and information from the workout to all 32 NFL teams and various media outlets.

madness
04-11-2008, 11:29 AM
I was a little upset of his reaction but you have to factor in that these guys are trying to sell themselves hardcore. I like the fact that he manned up (a little) before the week was over.

His 40 time bothers me in the least. The game film shows he plays a lot faster, not to mention he has the best hands in the draft and he impressed a lot of scouts with his improved route running this week.

This whole situation can play out really well for the Bills too. If they're really targeting him they now have the option to trade down or wait it out in the 2nd.

The last buffalo fan
04-11-2008, 11:55 AM
No matter what, I want this guy on a Bills uni.

ParanoidAndroid
04-11-2008, 12:05 PM
He obviously has amazing hands and the strength to win jump balls, but I have always wondered whether or not he can break it after the catch. Even his highlight reel wasn't able to show much of an ablity to make moves and run away from defenders. At least Sweed showed that he has another gear and can run leave defenders behind. I really hope we trade down and get him instead.

yordad
04-11-2008, 12:10 PM
Couple things:

I was always on the fence, so it hasn't entirely changed.

I don't think the Bills will stay @ 11.

I don't think Kelly ran his best time.

Conclusion: undecided

Jan Reimers
04-11-2008, 12:21 PM
My ideal draft is now Devin Thomas in the first, Kelly in the second and the best TE available in the third. Then think about defense.

mayotm
04-11-2008, 12:45 PM
My ideal draft is now Devin Thomas in the first, Kelly in the second and the best TE available in the third. Then think about defense.
The only way we draft WRs in the first two round is if they don't plan to extend Evans. Parrish and Reed are serviceble #3's. I think our first three picks should be WR, TE and CB. Not sure I particulary care in which order. Depiste Kelly's poor workout and press conference, I feel he's much more ready to play right away than Thomas. Do we go CB, then hope Kelly, Sweed or Hardy slip to us in the 2nd round? Another guy that doesn't get mentioned as much is Jordy Nelson who may be available in round 3. He is very polished and could contribute right away. He probably doesn't have the skills to be a #1, but could be a very solid #2.

Jan Reimers
04-11-2008, 12:50 PM
The only way we draft WRs in the first two round is if they don't plan to extend Evans. Parrish and Reed are serviceble #3's. I think our first three picks should be WR, TE and CB. Not sure I particulary care in which order. Depiste Kelly's poor workout and press conference, I feel he's much more ready to play right away than Thomas. Do we go CB, then hope Kelly, Sweed or Hardy slip to us in the 2nd round? Another guy that doesn't get mentioned as much is Jordy Nelson who may be available in round 3. He is very polished and could contribute right away. He probably doesn't have the skills to be a #1, but could be a very solid #2.
I know you're right, but I just want to see offense, offense and more offense for a change.

gr8slayer
04-11-2008, 12:53 PM
My mind hasn't changed, of the five "big WR's" he's been number six since the off-season started.

ddaryl
04-11-2008, 12:55 PM
The only way we draft WRs in the first two round is if they don't plan to extend Evans. .

Bottom line if Evans has not signed an extension before the draft then you need to plan for his departure in 2009. there is no reason for Evans not having an extension by now other then he wants to test the open market and he wants to break the bank. Not saying they couldn't get it done, but something is not right if it hasn't been done before the draft.

We do not want to have to draft a WR next year to replace a seasoned vet we could be losing.

and it is why I am hoping for the trade down scenario and the pick up of a top WR early and another later on.

mayotm
04-11-2008, 12:57 PM
I know you're right, but I just want to see offense, offense and more offense for a change.I hear ya Jan. WR and TE definitely need to be addressed. Just don't be surprised if it doesn't happen in the first round. Something else about Jordy Nelson. The big knock on him is that he's not terribly fast or athletic. He ran a 4.509 at the combine. That's quite a bit better than Kelly. Nelson is 6'2, 217 so has the size we are looking for.

mayotm
04-11-2008, 12:59 PM
Bottom line if Evans has not signed an extension before the draft then you need to plan for his departure in 2009. there is no reason for Evans not having an extension by now other then he wants to test the open market and he wants to break the bank. Not saying they couldn't get it done, but something is not right if it hasn't been done before the draft.

We do not want to have to draft a WR next year to replace a seasoned vet we could be losing.

and it is why I am hoping for the trade down scenario and the pick up of a top WR early and another later on.Assuming Evans has a good year, the Bills can franchise him next year until they are able to sign him to an extension. Frankly, I don't blame Evans for waiting on the extension. He wants to see if things pan out at the QB poistion. BTW, I'm all for trading down and drafting WR in round 1.

PECKERWOOD
04-11-2008, 05:17 PM

and it is why I am hoping for the trade down scenario and the pick up of a top WR early and another later on.

We got till 2010 with Evans, we will franchise him next year if we can't get something long term done.

yordad
04-11-2008, 05:34 PM
The only way we draft WRs in the first two round is if they don't plan to extend Evans. Parrish and Reed are serviceble #3's. I think our first three picks should be WR, TE and CB. Not sure I particulary care in which order. Depiste Kelly's poor workout and press conference, I feel he's much more ready to play right away than Thomas. Do we go CB, then hope Kelly, Sweed or Hardy slip to us in the 2nd round? Another guy that doesn't get mentioned as much is Jordy Nelson who may be available in round 3. He is very polished and could contribute right away. He probably doesn't have the skills to be a #1, but could be a very solid #2.So, if we take Thomas first, and Kelly is available in the second, would you draft him? Now, same senerio and Lee is already extended?

Confused
04-11-2008, 06:19 PM
Hardy is faster, taller, heavier, and in most circles not found on this board, has better hands than Kelly. He's our man. HArdy had a better verticle and crushed Kelly with 225 reps. Hardy has proven himself a lethal weapon in the redzone and at home.(had to throw that in there. somebody will throw it back at me saying we wont draft a player with character issues.) James Hardy is the better possession WR. he will be a force on the team that drafts him. Hope its us. only time will prove me right or wrong.

Michael82
04-12-2008, 12:18 AM
if the pick was going to be defense.. then they should have done ONE THING to address the offense already.
Excellent post! :bf1: This is what bugs me the most. Our biggest need going into the offseason was at WR and on offense. Yet, the first player they brought in was an OLB. Then they brought in two DTs. Great, our defense is much better now. But, what about the offense? They did nothing for the offense and could have had either the WR from the Seahawks or Bryant Johnson for a cheap price. They chose neither. Because of that, I expect a WR in the 1st or 2nd round and one of the top ones. If we don't get one, it will be a major disappointment.

Michael82
04-12-2008, 12:21 AM
I know you're right, but I just want to see offense, offense and more offense for a change.
Good point. I expect to see the Bills draft 2 WRs in this draft. One in the 1st or 2nd round and another one on day 2. I also expect one of the top TEs in the draft, along with a FB and a Center. Maybe even a Guard too. Our offense has been pathetic for several years now, and was really bad last year. I'm not buying the excuse that it was ONLY the offensive coordinator. IMO, we need talent there bad.

mayotm
04-12-2008, 09:11 AM
So, if we take Thomas first, and Kelly is available in the second, would you draft him? Now, same senerio and Lee is already extended?No and No. Again, Reed and Parrish are very serviceable #3's. With other needs (CB and TE), the Bills can't afford to draft WR's with their first two picks.